PDA

View Full Version : @#$%@ keyboard

Roto13
08-20-2007, 11:14 PM
My boyfriend is having computer troubles. He changed the default languages on his computer in the regional settings from these:

Input Language: Portuguese
Language for Non-Unicode Programs: Spanish

to various english things in an attempt to change his Windows language to something I could use to understand his internet settings and try to... actually, that part isn't important. The important thing is that it didn't work (his computer was still in Spanish) so he switched it all back to their original settings but now his keyboard is acting weird. Instead of creating a little dot thing (I don't remember what it's called) when he presses shift and 3, he gets a # symbol like an American keyboard. (His is european.) How do we change it back to what it was?

GREAT BIG FAT EDIT: Nevermind. We fixed it. :P This can be closed now.

Baloki
08-21-2007, 09:14 AM
My boyfriend is having computer troubles. He changed the default languages on his computer in the regional settings from these:

Input Language: Portuguese
Language for Non-Unicode Programs: Spanish

to various english things in an attempt to change his Windows language to something I could use to understand his internet settings and try to... actually, that part isn't important. The important thing is that it didn't work (his computer was still in Spanish) so he switched it all back to their original settings but now his keyboard is acting weird. Instead of creating a little dot thing (I don't remember what it's called) when he presses shift and 3, he gets a # symbol like an American keyboard. (His is european.) How do we change it back to what it was?

GREAT BIG FAT EDIT: Nevermind. We fixed it. :P This can be closed now.

Since you didn't edit with how you fixed it and some poor Google-ite might search for this problem and find not their answer, I refer you to your control panel in your Start Menu. From there you will need to select the "Date, Time, Language and Regional Options" icon (looks like a globe with a calander stuck to it).

Then click the globe which says "Regional and Language Settings". As for your language issue, you cannot change the default language of the OS, it's an anti-piracy feature to stop Europeans and Americans importing cheap Chinese copies of Windows (although I don't think it's actually possible to buy a legit version of Windows in China xD).

I'd recommend booting up a second system with the same OS and then carrying out the actions on the second computer, that you want to make on the first. Then just copy the actions on the first computer. Windows should then be translated, easy no :p?

Roto13
08-21-2007, 09:41 AM
That's what we did. :P I'm not really sure how we fixed it, really. We just tried random things until something worked. Still haven't figured out why he can't connect to my wireless network, but meh....

Baloki
08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Check all the router settings and that your connecting via the right encryption method?

Discord
08-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Any chance that he's running WEP, while you're on WPA? This tends to be the problem most of the time.