PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock reviews are extremely high!!!

Dragonsoul
08-21-2007, 01:29 AM
The reviews for Bioshock are pouring in, they are insanely high!!!

BioShock (xbox360: 2007): Reviews (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/bioshock)
97% from 17 critical reviews(11 100%'s!), 91% from 271 user votes

BioShock Reviews (http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931329.asp)
97% from 12 critical reviews(7 100%'s!), 85% from 27 user votes

I'm very interested in this game. Currently I plan to rent this game but I don't know if I will beat it or buy it. This is because it's a first person shooter with rpg elements, and I don't like first person shooters. What do you think of these reviews? :)

Tidus Andronicus
08-21-2007, 07:06 AM
I just downloaded the Demo for BioShock:

The Rapture is Upon Us! (http://news.filefront.com/the-rapture-is-upon-us/)
(pc version)

I'm surprised so many websites are giving it 10/10 or close to that...
Sounds like its gonna be good, but dono... it's taking a LONG time to download... after an hour or 2 it's only got 34%.

Normally I'm not interested in such games, but we'll see.

I'm still waiting for the next half life games, and portal, and spore, etc... xD

Roto13
08-21-2007, 07:22 AM
I played it yesterday. It's really interiguing. I'd buy it if I had an Xbox 360. Or at least rent it.

El Bandito
08-21-2007, 09:33 AM
After playing the demo, I'm going to rent this and abuse the Blockbuster no return fees policy like no other.

Tidus Andronicus
08-21-2007, 10:22 AM
After playing the demo, I'm going to rent this and abuse the Blockbuster no return fees policy like no other.

Well, from what I've got so far from this Demo... the story would certainly get me to play, although I can't say the controls and gameplay are anything that new. lol

Maybe a game I'll torrent and cheat at just for fun in the future... who knows...

I will say the graphics are as sharp as any and the concept's not bad.

Can't believe this is getting so many good reviews though... I wonder what they're seeing that I'm not. lol or are ratings based on highest bidders... lol

I've only played the demo for a few minutes... I'll try more tomorrow, it'll probably get better.

Rengori
08-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Just so you know, after like 30 days they force you to buy it. =\

El Bandito
08-21-2007, 11:24 AM
That's why you return it on the 29th day. I'm sure I can get through the recommended 20 hour number I hear it takes in under a month.

And what they're seeing that you're not is the full game, since it hasn't come out to the public until today.

JKTrix
08-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Can't believe this is getting so many good reviews though... I wonder what they're seeing that I'm not.

I've only played the demo for a few minutes... I'll try more tomorrow, it'll probably get better.

You're just playing a demo, reviewers have had the full game. Definitely play it a little more, though. The gameplay hook for Bioshock is the Plasmids. It gives you toys to play with in the environment. You only get 2 Plasmids in the demo (Lightning and Fire), and there are quite a few things you can do with just those.

For one thing, if you set someone on fire and there's water nearby, they'll dive into the water to douse themselves. Then you can use the lightning to shock them (and anything else nearby) while they're in the water. That's probably one of the most basic things you can do.

In the demo, I've heard you can hack the security bots and even make a molotov cocktail (bottle of alcohol+fire=boombottle).

It's about creativity. If you don't play the game creatively, you'll probably think it's a decent shooter but not see what the hype is about. The game encourages you to try different things in the game. If you ever had a "I wonder if I can do this..." thought, try it. It might work.

When you finish the demo, watch the video that plays. It shows you a couple of the other creative combinations you can use.

Madame Adequate
08-21-2007, 03:39 PM
In the demo, I've heard you can hack the security bots and even make a molotov cocktail (bottle of alcohol+fire=boombottle).

Hacking is a lot of fun. Very useful, too. Never even thought of the molotov thing, but I'll have to try it next time.

The demo is awesome. My exact words were "Dear holy fucking god". I had time to play it once after it finished downloading, before I had to go to bed, and after just that one play I had a dream about the damn game :p

My preorder is in, Amazon should be shipping it as soon as they're allowed.

Fonzie
08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Played the demo at least 5 times, and I find a new reason to love it ever time.

JKTrix
08-21-2007, 04:16 PM
You know I've had the demo for over a week, but I haven't played it all the way through myself. I watched my cousin play it through to completion though (on my Xbox). Do they explain how to hack the drones in the game? That didn't appear at all when I was watching him go through it.

Fonzie
08-21-2007, 04:22 PM
You know I've had the demo for over a week, but I haven't played it all the way through myself. I watched my cousin play it through to completion though (on my Xbox). Do they explain how to hack the drones in the game? That didn't appear at all when I was watching him go through it.

Yes, they do, you have to move pipes in a certain order so that all the liquid pumps into another end, or you can pay it.

Dragonsoul
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Bioshock was released today. I think the EB Games and Gamestop near me were probably open at midnite and had a huge line outside the building. I'll rent it in a few days, I got a little bit more work to do on Persona 3, which is good(strength is story, characters, and voice acting), but I don't need to buy it or beat it, it's about as good as Rogue Galaxy. :)

Mythra
08-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Got the collector's edition yesterday. Very good game, easily one of the best fps shooter's I have ever played. Story is actually really interesting for a shooter and the big daddy fights are killer. A great game deserving of its review scores imo.

Dragonsoul
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Can you give us some information about the game that we may not know of from the previews? Is there anything new that you found out about the game after getting it that we didn't know? I wonder if there is anything new.

What are the "rpg elements" in this game besides the Plasmids? :D

Fonzie
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
News: Bioshock - Jack Thompson's next target - ComputerAndVideoGames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170329)

I hate Jack Thompson so god damn much.

Dragonsoul
08-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Gah? Reminds of me when people had trouble with Mortal Kombat 1 and Mortal Kombat 2.

Those games were great! I uppercuted people into a ceiling full of spikes! :eek:!!

Tidus Andronicus
08-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Anyone know if this is true?
More BioShock Shock: BioShock PC - You Can Only Install Twice - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/more-bioshock-shock/bioshock-pc-+-you-only-install-twice-292222.php)

Supposedly some kind of it was a misunderstanding... but still kindof odd... lol

Fonzie
08-23-2007, 06:06 AM
This game kicks the upmost ass, and is scaring the :skull::skull::skull::skull: out of me.

Taking on a big daddy is so hard. =[

JKTrix
08-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Anyone know if this is true?
More BioShock Shock: BioShock PC - You Can Only Install Twice - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/more-bioshock-shock/bioshock-pc-+-you-only-install-twice-292222.php)

Supposedly some kind of it was a misunderstanding... but still kindof odd... lol

They've updated it. They say that if you uninstall the game, you will be able to install it again without triggering the '2 install' alarm. So if you're the type who formats often, you'd have to uninstall the game before you format so that it registers.

edczxcvbnm
08-23-2007, 01:57 PM
I will eventually download the demo and then after that I will probably eventually buy the game but between .hack//G.U. vol 3 and Halo 3 this game will have to be put on the back burner until sometime next year.

Dragonsoul
08-24-2007, 12:44 AM
You're getting .hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption?! That's great! I want to know more information about these games, which is why I'm gonna be renting it when it comes out.

Rentals...
Oblivion
Aug 14 - Persona 3
Aug 21 - Bioshock
Aug 28 - Blue Dragon
Sep 3 - Wild Arms 5
Sep 10 - .hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption
Sep 17 - Eternal Sonata

What should I rent after those games I wonder? I can only rent for PS 2 and Xbox 360 though.

Dragonsoul
08-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Post editing doesn't load for me...

The reviews are basically complete! They are great!

BioShock (xbox360: 2007): Reviews (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/bioshock)
97% from 34 critical reviews(16 100%'s), 91% from 381 user votes

BioShock Reviews (http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931329.asp)
96% from 31 critical reviews(13 100%'s), 89% from 39 user votes

I wonder how it compares to...
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy XII, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario? Those are the other super ultimate 2006 and 2007 rpg's out so far, besides pc and handheld games. Look out for Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Mass Effect for later this year.

I think Zelda: TP may have been the most overall successful rpg of last year(critical reviews, user reviews, sales, fame/legacy). This year it will probably be Mass Effect, although Bioshock could be as well.

Madame Adequate
08-24-2007, 03:05 AM
I am only aware of two games with the potential to outdo Bioshock this year. Halo 3, and Mass Effect.

PhoenixAsh
08-24-2007, 04:29 AM
I've seen a review for this and some videos, would I be right in thinking this is Deus Ex for 2007?

Shoeberto
08-24-2007, 04:41 AM
I've seen a review for this and some videos, would I be right in thinking this is Deus Ex for 2007?
Sorta but... not really. System Shock 2 is a closer example for the kind of stuff going on here.

Also, I'm not so sure about my interest anymore:
Bioshock (http://www.somethingawful.com/d/truth-media-reviews/truthmedia-bioshock-review.php?page=1)
7.5 review - honestly I think they may be on to something. The hype machine built it up and it couldn't live up to what it claimed it would be. I could understand maybe a 9.5, or at worst 9.0, but a 7.5 has obliterated any chance of me ever playing this game... ever. Not until the PS3 version at least!

Fonzie
08-24-2007, 04:47 AM
Sorta but... not really. System Shock 2 is a closer example for the kind of stuff going on here.

Bioshock (http://www.somethingawful.com/d/truth-media-reviews/truthmedia-bioshock-review.php?page=1)
7.5 review - honestly I think they may be on to something. The hype machine built it up and it couldn't live up to what it claimed it would be. I could understand maybe a 9.5, or at worst 9.0, but a 7.5 has obliterated any chance of me ever playing this game... ever. Not until the PS3 version at least!

Something Awful is a terrible site, that is only funny when they are raiding Gorgeous George's hot lines.

ljkkjlcm9
08-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Well, my roomate got it for the PC the day it came out, and beat it in 15 hours... honestly I wasn't that impressed. It's basically just a prettier version of games we already have. The "new" stuff wasn't that interesting. Instead of a gun doing it, you used like magic type stuff from your hand... oh but wait, then guns later can do it anyways. Idk, didn't seem like anything spectacular to me.

THE JACKEL

Dragonsoul
08-24-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm not worried about SA's 7.5 of 10 review of Bioshock considering every other review for it is atleast 90%! SA, that isn't a gaming site I think.

CloudSquallandZidane
08-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Bioshock is easily the best game to come out for 360 as of yet. The environment reacting to you so dynamically is the real hook for me. This game deserves all the praise and high ratings it got.

edczxcvbnm
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
You're getting .hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption?! That's great! I want to know more information about these games, which is why I'm gonna be renting it when it comes out.

Rentals...
Oblivion
Aug 14 - Persona 3
Aug 21 - Bioshock
Aug 28 - Blue Dragon
Sep 3 - Wild Arms 5
Sep 17 - Eternal Sonata

What should I rent after those games I wonder? I can only rent for PS 2 and Xbox 360 though.

I love the .hack games. The fact that I would eventually buy this game was decided when the game was first announced.

Why are you renting blue dragon and eternal sonata? Why not just download the demo? I am sure XBox live has one.

Slothy
08-24-2007, 01:21 PM
A friend of mine came over last night with his laptop (since mine can't seem to handle the demo and his is a monster of a machine), and I have to say the hype is well deserved. The level of interactivity, and options open to the player makes this the best FPS to rear it's head since Half-Life 2. Throw in the story and the ambience and you get an extrmely fun and immersive experience. The reason you might not have thought it anything special, ljkkjlcm9, is that it's only as innovative as your imagination. If someone's gotten so used to your typical FPS that they just blast their way through then it wouldn't seem very interesting at all. But the whole point is to be creative with the plasmids. In fact, I think the games best strength is probably that no two people have to play through it the same way.

Also, that Something Awful review is crap. Every review I've seen there in fact seems to be out to rip into something more than it deserves. The fact that they're also talking about waiting for a PS3 version that's not coming takes more away from their credibility.

Madame Adequate
08-24-2007, 04:36 PM

Uh, that review's not just bad, it's factually incorrect. Unless that's SA's style and I don't know it.

edczxcvbnm
08-24-2007, 04:37 PM
What is incorrect about it?

Madame Adequate
08-24-2007, 04:46 PM
What is incorrect about it?

Bioshock tells the story of Andrew Ryan, a man on his way to see his family when his plane inexplicably takes a nosedive

Either this is saying that you PLAY as Andrew Ryan, which you don't, or it's incredibly badly written.

a mysterious city where mankind has freed itself from capitalism and created an underwater utopia where every man answers to the state.

Ryan's ethos is pretty much as capitalist as it gets. It may well have deviated from that since Rapture was founded, but his original idea was pretty damned clearly the free market > *.

The story, based on the science fiction novel Atlantis Shrugged by Ann Rand

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

There are three possibilities: SA is trying to be funny, and failing. SA is stupid. SA is telling people major spoilers. (LOL U R RLY ANDREW RYANS! or the like).

edczxcvbnm
08-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Story details in an FPS is your main complaint about the review? I thought you were going to mention something meaningful like how the AI is not as bad as they say it is or something that has more value than minor plot details. What else of actual value did they get wrong?

Slothy
08-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Story details in an FPS is your main complaint about the review? I thought you were going to mention something meaningful like how the AI is not as bad as they say it is or something that has more value than minor plot details. What else of actual value did they get wrong?

Well, I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with the game but from what I played, the AI seems very good. Above what most FPS games typically have.

Also, if you want factual errors, I already mentioned the fact that there isn't any PS3 version planned for release. There was never a point in development where one was even announced either. Also, the errors Milf mentioned are enough to make me think the reviewer barely played the game. In fact, they outright admit that they were so disgusted by the fact that you have to kill the little girls that harvest dead bodies in rapture to add to your abilities that they stopped playing. Not only did the have the sort of moral reaction that the system is supposed to create, they totally missed the point of it and stopped playing the game. Maybe they continued on later, but I doubt they really bothered to get the most out of it.

Shoeberto
08-24-2007, 08:08 PM
oh ed :<3:

edczxcvbnm
08-24-2007, 10:12 PM
oh ed :<3:

I do what I can :love:

Well, I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with the game but from what I played, the AI seems very good. Above what most FPS games typically have.

Also, if you want factual errors, I already mentioned the fact that there isn't any PS3 version planned for release. There was never a point in development where one was even announced either. Also, the errors Milf mentioned are enough to make me think the reviewer barely played the game. In fact, they outright admit that they were so disgusted by the fact that you have to kill the little girls that harvest dead bodies in rapture to add to your abilities that they stopped playing. Not only did the have the sort of moral reaction that the system is supposed to create, they totally missed the point of it and stopped playing the game. Maybe they continued on later, but I doubt they really bothered to get the most out of it.

The PS3 rumor came about because they left things in the code to indicate such. They have come out and blatantly said that Microsoft payed them to keep it exclusive. I think the PS3 version was planned at some point down the road but was squashed fairly early on.

I don't think they missed the point of the system. You can be very creative but if the enemies are dumb as bricks, as they claim, then it doesn't really matter how creative you can be. It gets to be stupidly repetitive and just too easy. Why bother trying to get creative? Lets not bring into the fact that it doesn't seem as though you can die. Thats total bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:. That takes out all challenge the game might have had.

I think their complaints are incredibly valid if true. The no game over already makes me want to put it at an 8 tops. Maybe it is because with no consequences I have no problem running into hords of whatevers like an idiot on crack until I win. If the enemies health reset then I would never win but this way just kind of sucks.

People play things different ways and it is hard to account for all the different types of people out there.

I will wait for the patch that doesn't make this game easy as :skull::skull::skull::skull: before I pick it up after reading several reviews...or I could just do what I did with Geometry Wars and just get the demo and have fun with that forever.

I could keep going on but I don't think I will. I will play a game with great challenge...Ninja Gaiden on very hard :D Now there is a game with intelligent enemies.

Captain Maxx Power
08-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Well I got the game today and played it all day. From what I can tell I'm almost to the end as well, which is a bit of a shame, but I guess that's what you get for playing over ten hours straight :eek:

I can safely say this the FPS I've been waiting for since Deus Ex. My main gripe right now is the pseudo-difficulty present. I've been playing on Hard mode as is common practice, and I've found that the main difference between the lower difficulties and the higher ones are the amount of time you have to spend killing stuff. Really by the time I got to like the eight or ninth level it could take up to a minute to kill a regular enemy, and don't even get me started on the Big Daddy's. With the constant respawn present in the game, I would recommend anyone playing to turn the difficulty down and just enjoy the game as it is. Yes, any lack of real difficulty is a pisser, but think of it like a single-player deathmatch, you versus the world.

Also, the story rocks. If you just stick with the demo you're really missing out. The bit where you're forced under conditioning to kill Andrew Ryan, with him screaming at you with his face covered in blood to kill him is nothing short of disturbing yet brilliantly scripted gameplay sequence.

Dreddz
08-25-2007, 01:25 AM
I picked up the game today also, only a few hours and I am already loving it, would be playing it more if I didnt have so much stuff to do outside of gaming.

I have just met a Rosie, the Big daddies that shoot at you rather than charge, so far I havent been impressed with the challenge these Big Daddies push on you. The first one I have faced I just had to strafe to various points in the room blasting it with my shotgun with electric buck ammo loaded. I actually found Steinmann harder would you believe. That crazy mofo with the machinegun.

At the moment Im just messing around with the plasmids, which are much funner than using the actual weapons.

Madame Adequate
08-25-2007, 05:01 AM

If a game reviewer can't get something as simple and basic as the difference between the antagonist and the protagonist correct, I'm not going to trust them when it comes to important stuff.

El Bandito
08-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Don't you just love the ability of sarcasm to just completely hide itself through text?

Dragonsoul
08-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Buy it for me? :D

Dragonsoul
08-29-2007, 10:33 PM
I got my rental of this game last night and played it for an hour. The game seems pretty good but I don't like first person shooters. Not sure how come this game is often though of having rpg elements. People were mentioning the plasmids but I don't see that making this game an rpg. This is probably the first first person shooter I'll play a decent amount of. :D

XxSephirothxX
08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
It's because Bioshock gives you far more choice in terms of play style and customization than just about any other shooter I've ever played. There are TONS of Plasmids and tonics that you can use to alter your character and thus your play style. Want to be a good hacker? Choose tonics that slow down the process or eliminate some of the obstacles. Want to focus on melee combat? Equip tonics that make physical damage hurt less and tonics that make your physical attacks do more damage.

It's all about choices and how you want to play the game. Regardless, if you don't like first person shooters, there's no point in playing it. It would be like playing a racing game for the car customization.

Dragonsoul
08-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Good stuff! I'll play it more tonight. I'll probably end up playing it for an hour more tonight then ship it back to Gamerang.com tomorrow(my online rental by mail video game service, like Netflix but for games), so that I can get my rental of Blue Dragon as soon as possible...

My gamerang.com rentals

Xbox 360 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. This is a great game, I bought the game and strategy guide but decided later to stop playing because I wasn't feeling like playing 150-200 hours this game, since I don't have that much time.

PS 2 - Shin Megamei Tensei: Persona 3. This game is pretty good. The story, characters, and voice acting are the strengths. The other aspects of the game are alright, I recommend this game though!

Xbox 360 - Bioshock. This game is pretty good, it's the first first person shooter that I'm gonna play a decent amount of. I don't like using first person perspective, I wish there was a 3rd person viewpoint. The game seems good but it's not my style.

Upcoming:
Aug 28th rental- Blue Dragon
Sep 3 - Wild Arms 5
Sep 17 - Eternal Sonata

I wonder what I should rent after that. I can only rent for Xbox 360 and PS 2. Top possibilities are: Enchanted Arms, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Phantasy Star Universe, Overlord, and Two Worlds for Xbox 360. I already owned FF XI and I already rented the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. As far as PS 2 goes, I'm gonna rent the top 2007 games first, then the top 2006 games next. Here are my top PS 2 rental options coming up next: Odin Sphere, .hack//G.U. Vol. 2, Tales of the Abyss, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, Disgaea 2, Xenosaga 3. I already own Final Fantasy XII and am playing it. I own Rogue Galaxy also, stopped playing it. I own FF VII: DoG and beat it already. I'm working on finishing up some top rentals! :) I have to consider the top rentals only.

Rostum
09-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Well, I just got this for PC (and is running smoothly with all settings up high at 1600x1050!), and so far I am really impressed. This is the first "next-gen" game that I have actually had a chance to get my hands on as I don't have any of the new consoles.

I can't play first person games for extended periods of time though, or else I feel sick. I guess that's a good thing, as it reminds me to take breaks.

Madame Adequate
09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
It's because Bioshock gives you far more choice in terms of play style and customization than just about any other shooter I've ever played. There are TONS of Plasmids and tonics that you can use to alter your character and thus your play style. Want to be a good hacker? Choose tonics that slow down the process or eliminate some of the obstacles. Want to focus on melee combat? Equip tonics that make physical damage hurt less and tonics that make your physical attacks do more damage.

It's all about choices and how you want to play the game. Regardless, if you don't like first person shooters, there's no point in playing it. It would be like playing a racing game for the car customization.

I'd be more impressed with that if Deus Ex hadn't done it better a decade ago.

Bioshock's got a fantastic, almost unparalleled story/atmosphere/etc., but the gameplay really is not 10/10 by any stretch of the imagination. It's fairly generic, all told, and can get pretty repetitive. Definitely an important and worthwhile game, but if you actually want to play a great FPS, then there are better choices.

Ouch!
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I noticed EB Games was having a promotion for 30% more on exchanged games if you sell them five or more. I get another 10% with my Edge Card, so I went over and forked over a few games. When why was there, I ended up with a large chunk of money (I actually didn't feel ripped off by them). Aside from pre-ordering Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Lost Odyssey, I picked up a copy of Bioshock.

Lets just say this. I got Bioshock yesterday at around 5:00. I didn't stop playing (except for dinner) until 2:30 AM. I'm usually not the biggest fan of first-person shooters, but Bioshock is a hell of a lot of fun.

Rostum
09-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Damn it, am I the only one who gets freaked out by these kind of games? I was bad enough in Half Life...

Ouch!
09-07-2007, 03:16 PM
This game is perhaps the creepiest I've ever played. I can handle genetic mutated freaks just fine. I have a much more difficult time handling genetic mutated freaks who speak crazy-talk and (often) sing. My room mate was watching me play a little after two last night and said he'd get nightmares.

XxSephirothxX
09-07-2007, 04:07 PM

I'd be more impressed with that if Deus Ex hadn't done it better a decade ago.

Bioshock's got a fantastic, almost unparalleled story/atmosphere/etc., but the gameplay really is not 10/10 by any stretch of the imagination. It's fairly generic, all told, and can get pretty repetitive. Definitely an important and worthwhile game, but if you actually want to play a great FPS, then there are better choices.
That's what Halo 3 is for. :P I haven't played Deus Ex because I'm one of the few people who finds the keyboard nearly unbearable. And the PS2 isn't much better. Even with the plasmids and tonics not being anything revolutionary, they make the gameplay far less repetitive than what's in most shooters I've played. I've done far more resource management and much more consideration of how I want to kill the enemies than in pretty much any other shooter. Not saying it's perfect, but I've yet to find it less satisfying than most FPS that focus far more on the shooting than Bioshock does.

Madame Adequate
09-07-2007, 04:49 PM
That's what Halo 3 is for. :P I haven't played Deus Ex because I'm one of the few people who finds the keyboard nearly unbearable. And the PS2 isn't much better. Even with the plasmids and tonics not being anything revolutionary, they make the gameplay far less repetitive than what's in most shooters I've played. I've done far more resource management and much more consideration of how I want to kill the enemies than in pretty much any other shooter. Not saying it's perfect, but I've yet to find it less satisfying than most FPS that focus far more on the shooting than Bioshock does.

I found it really just as repetetive, tbh. All it really meant was that there some weapons that had spiffy graphics, and there was the occasional environment-based way of doing a fellow in. I'm prolly disappointed because I was expecting something that was revolutionary, given the reviews. I went into every fight looking for some clever way of taking the bad guys out. You wouldn't believe how much time I took just stalking the first few Big Daddies I met, trying to look for some clever way of doing them in, only to find that the cleverest it got was choosing the right ammo. After those first few I stopped looking.