PDA

View Full Version : Wii get!

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-23-2007, 05:30 AM
As the title reads, I just picked myself up a Nintendo Wii. Now I intend to get but one game and none of the accessories to tide me over until Brawl comes out and I can get that and the rest of the stuff for Christmas.

The question I pose to you, dear EoFFers, is what one game should this be?

I'm currently considering Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, as I've been wanting it for awhile. Paper Mario is also on my list but I'd been disappointed with it due to the fact that it wasn't another Super Mario RPG in terms of awesome.

Anything else that you all can suggest? It should probably be less obscure, because I intend to get it at Fred Meyer, where I work (Grocery/Other crap chain owned by Kroger and generally situated in Washington and Oregon) because I get 10% off. If the obscure title is especially awesome though, I may be convinced otherwise.

OK, go!

Rostum
08-23-2007, 05:57 AM
If I were getting a Wii, I'd get Twilight Princess and Paper Mario. Seeing as I don't play games heaps like I used to, it'd tie me over until Brawl came out.

So yeah, try getting both. :D

XxSephirothxX
08-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Get Twilight Princess, invest some money into Virtual Console games (like the original Paper Mario and any SHMUPs or other 16 bit games you'd enjoy) and then go to town on some cheap Gamecube games. That'd be my approach, anyway. There are plenty of decent Wii games, but so many GameCube treasures that it's worth buying them cheap before they disappear and using your Wii as a prettier GameCube until Prime 3, Brawl, and Mario Galaxy hit.

Denmark
08-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Twilight Princess is a quality game, though definitely not up to Ocarina of Time standards (but what is these days?). You could entertain yourself with that for a while I'd think. It'd probably be better/more interesting on Wii than Gamecube (which is where I played it).

As for Paper Mario, I haven't heard a lot about the new game (since I've actually kinda fallen out of console video gaming for the time being considering I haven't bought myself any current-generation consoles), but my experiences with the first two Paper Mario games were very positive ones, no question. They're definitely different from SMRPG, primarily in the battle context, but also in the adventure context, but the dialogue is quite similar in quality (very well done and humorous). I find the battle system to involve enough strategy to keep me interested, and the puzzles one must solve add an extra element that SMRPG didn't really have (but there's slightly more platformer elements in SMRPG, and I don't know which style of gaming you prefer, if you even have a preference). Basically what I'm saying is don't eschew Paper Mario just because it's not quite like SMRPG.

If you're into the Metroid series at all, especially Metroid Prime, I'd also recommend Metroid Prime 3, which comes out on Monday. If it's anything like the first two games in the series (at least in storyline; obviously control will be different) then I wouldn't expect it to be anything less than spectacular.

Damn, this is making me want a Wii. *contemplates*

EDIT: wow, i just spent half an hour crafting a response that basically repeats what the two posts that got in before this one says. *lame* :rolleyes2

Rostum
08-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Damn, this is making me want a Wii. *contemplates*

Yeah, it does make me think twice about getting one. I think I'll just talk my girlfriend into getting one instead. Then I can save for an Xbox360 or PS3.

SnoopyG
08-23-2007, 07:06 AM
if you have friends, mario party would be a very fun game

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-23-2007, 07:13 AM
I'm good on the Gamecube games, I have quite a few and am on a tight budget. Which is why I'm only getting one game (I'll be busy with other stuff anyway, so it should last me quite some time).

Roto13
08-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Both Twilight Princess and Paper Mario are very good. Don't be turned off by the fact that Paper Mario isn't like the other PM games. It still manages to maintain the fun feel of the first two games. Twilight Princess is better, though, in my opinion. It's one of the few games that manages to make me want to stand up and clap at the end.

Necronopticous
08-23-2007, 09:01 AM
In my eyes, Twilight Princess is the only must-have game on the Wii at this point.

KH-Cloudy
08-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Guess you could try Mario Strikers Charged.

Germ Hamee
08-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I would go with Zelda. It was the game I bought with my Wii, and I'm still very occupied with it.

Slothy
08-23-2007, 11:50 AM
I'd go with a bunch of Virtual Console games. There's a lot of great stuff on there that would keep anyone busy for a while. I can't reccomend Zelda, particularly if you have an earlier one like Ocarina or Wind Waker. I found it dissapointing as the Wolf form in particular sucked, and the rest is so much like the previous games that you might as well save some money and just play through those again.

ljkkjlcm9
08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Zelda is the only must have title right now. Which upsets me because Fire Emblem has been out for months in JPN!

SO I'd suggest Zelda, and maybe Wiiplay because you get the controller too, and it's another fun lil game to play with friends. Otherwise, wait for Metroid Prime 3... Super Paper Mario just didn't get me into it like the other Paper Mario games, by a long shot.... have yet to beat it, or even get the 4th character

THE JACKEL

JKTrix
08-23-2007, 12:51 PM
I'll be different.

DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2. I loved this game to death, and I played it longer than I played Zelda. I even stopped playing Zelda a few times because I wanted to play DBZ.

Actually, scratch that. BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparking_Meteor) is coming out in November, and it looks like it improves on the first Wii game. Besides having *more* characters (2 already had over 120 characters--even alternate forms of the same character had different movesets), the Wii version will have ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.

Also, the Wii gameplay has been changed for the better. In Tenkaichi 2, your special moves were mostly based on a cursor on the screen, and where you moved it on-and-off the screen. Now this could get a little awkward, because you'd constantly have to have your wii remote pointing at the screen in order to fight normally (if you had the cursor off-screen in a particular direction you'd be in a blocking stance). In Tenkaichi 3, all of the special moves are entirely gesture based, eliminating this problem.

There are other gameplay additions that apply to both the PS2 and Wii versions as well, such as additional movement types and counters. The Wii version is definitely the one to get. It takes a while to learn, but once you adjust to the controls it's much MUCH more dynamic than using a traditional pad. Doing a Kamehameha by holding B+Z and doing the kamehamotion is a lot more visceral and satisfying to me than pressing two triggers and a face button. You can still use a Gamecube/classic controller if you really want to. And the Wii version is online.
--------------------
But yeah, that's November. Save up for that one! Zelda should really be a no-brainer, which is why I went with something different.

Extra note, WarioWare>>>>>Mario Party.

ljkkjlcm9
08-23-2007, 02:22 PM

QFT
it's a great party game that even the girls at my school love to play... that never usually play games... so yeah...

THE JACKEL

Araciel
08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
it comes with wiisports right? what more do ya need

I Took the Red Pill
08-23-2007, 05:55 PM
I've beaten Twilight Princess and borrowed Paper Mario from one of my friends. They're both great, but Twilight Princess is in a league of its own. If you're deciding between the two, go with Twilight Princess.

Ashley Schovitz
08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, and Resident Evil 4 are good I heard.

Dragonsoul
08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
The big games for Wii so far are: Zelda: TP, Super paper mario, Wii sports, and Wii Play I think. I think Mario Party 8 may be popular and Metroid Prime 3 is coming out also.

Go to vgchartz.com look under usa weekly video game sales charts and look in chronological order each week the Wii has been out for the top selling Wii games.

metacritic.com/games and gamerankings.com give you great reviews, averages of critical reviews and user votes

Momiji
08-24-2007, 03:33 AM
In my eyes, Twilight Princess is the only must-have game on the Wii at this point.

Twilight Princess is fantastic. I've been playing it nonstop since I bought a Wii this month. Once I get some more money invested, I wanna get Pokémon Battle Revolution and SSBB when it comes out. :D

Dragonsoul
08-24-2007, 07:43 AM
PBR reviews are not too high if I remember right, check on metacritic.com/games and gamerankings.com

I want a Wii! Maybe in the Spring after I'm done with Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect. There aren't any console rpg's coming out next spring that I'm really interested in. I have interest in handheld rpg's coming out but I don't wanna buy a DS or PSP I think.

Roto13
08-24-2007, 08:13 AM

QFT

Yes, this is a great game, though really short. The other ones all ha things to unlock by beating the mini games x number of times in a row on increasing difficulties and speeds. This one takes that out, for some reason. At least the multiplayer is fun. And you only need one Wiimote.

Momiji
08-25-2007, 03:51 AM
PBR reviews are not too high if I remember right, check on metacritic.com/games and gamerankings.com

I want a Wii! Maybe in the Spring after I'm done with Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect. There aren't any console rpg's coming out next spring that I'm really interested in. I have interest in handheld rpg's coming out but I don't wanna buy a DS or PSP I think.

I don't care if the ratings are high or not. I just wanna play Pokémon on the Wii. xD

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-25-2007, 08:47 AM

I don't care if the ratings are high or not. I just wanna play Pokémon on the Wii. xD

I saw it briefly at PAX today, there was actual physical contact once when a Pokemon used Fire Punch. The next time it used it though it did it as usual, cutting immediately from the attack being made to the pokemon flinching in response.

KentaRawr!
08-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm shocked no one has said "Wait until Tuesday/Monday" yet. That's when Metroid Prime 3 comes out, and so far it's looking to be quite good. I seriously think you should take that into consideration. IGN has a hands-on article up (http://wii.ign.com/articles/814/814436p1.html), give it a read. Not much hype seems to be in the game other than certain places on the internet, so I think there won't be many lines. Of course, I don't even have the game yet, so I can't really say whether it will be good or not. But judging by IGN's article, it seems good.

Anyway, Twilight Princess is a good game, too. When compared to other Zelda games, the story-telling is definitely well-done, and they really used Facial Expressions to an advantage. The music in the game isn't exactly great, but they really fit the area you're in most of the time. The only gripe I really have with the game is that it's easy. Really easy. Dungeons will rarely give you a hard time, and I bet you could do the 3-Heart Challenge on your first play-through, and is recommended if you want a challenge. And items suffer the one-dungeon curse, sadly. You'll find a few really cool items that almost never get used throughout the game.

If there's one part of the game that's just plain awesome though, it's the world map. Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but the world map is really cool. It definitely feels more like how Hyrule is normally described this time around. The game has a pretty large amount of stuff to find, like Treasure Chests of money, glowing bugs, and obviously, heart pieces. But don't go in a large field without your horse. Leevers are very, very mean.

However, it's still one of the better games for the Wii, no doubt. If you aren't interested in Prime 3 (Heaaaatheeeen!), then this is probably your next best bet. I don't have Paper Mario, so I can't really speak for it.

Oh, also, if you want a good multiplayer game and don't want to get a bunch of Wiimotes, get Warioware. It has some pretty nice replay value in some unlockable arcade-like games like Can Shooter and Pyoro S, and single Wiimote multiplayer. In it, there are four variations of Mini-Game playing, if I remember correctly, in which you switch the controller when it's someone else's turn. Then there's Darts, and a fun game called Bungie Buddies, in which you and a friend hold either a Wiimote or a Nunchuk to your waist, and jump over all the holes and avoiding mud/flypaper.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-26-2007, 03:30 AM
According to IGN the Wii version of Manhunt 2 will ship this October on Halloween...Also Rockstar's Bully will be ported over to the Wii with additional content, although a release date hasn't been confirmed yet.

Montoya
08-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Resident Evil 4.

Skyblade
08-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm shocked no one has said "Wait until Tuesday/Monday" yet. That's when Metroid Prime 3 comes out, and so far it's looking to be quite good. I seriously think you should take that into consideration. IGN has a hands-on article up (http://wii.ign.com/articles/814/814436p1.html), give it a read. Not much hype seems to be in the game other than certain places on the internet, so I think there won't be many lines. Of course, I don't even have the game yet, so I can't really say whether it will be good or not. But judging by IGN's article, it seems good.

Anyway, Twilight Princess is a good game, too. When compared to other Zelda games, the story-telling is definitely well-done, and they really used Facial Expressions to an advantage. The music in the game isn't exactly great, but they really fit the area you're in most of the time. The only gripe I really have with the game is that it's easy. Really easy. Dungeons will rarely give you a hard time, and I bet you could do the 3-Heart Challenge on your first play-through, and is recommended if you want a challenge. And items suffer the one-dungeon curse, sadly. You'll find a few really cool items that almost never get used throughout the game.

If there's one part of the game that's just plain awesome though, it's the world map. Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but the world map is really cool. It definitely feels more like how Hyrule is normally described this time around. The game has a pretty large amount of stuff to find, like Treasure Chests of money, glowing bugs, and obviously, heart pieces. But don't go in a large field without your horse. Leevers are very, very mean.

However, it's still one of the better games for the Wii, no doubt. If you aren't interested in Prime 3 (Heaaaatheeeen!), then this is probably your next best bet. I don't have Paper Mario, so I can't really speak for it.

I didn't say wait till Tuesday because I can't. Behold the Void is just crazy. There is no way to choose between Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess. You have to get both.

While I'm not as big of a fan of Super Paper Mario (it switched to a more mario type adventure game from the RPG style that Thousand Year Door had, which I didn't like), it's still a nice game.

In short, I don't envy Behold his crazy choice of games. There are a couple real gems out there.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-27-2007, 02:45 AM
Actually, I've never been one for Metroid. Also, my roomate just freakin' won a Wii at PAX, so I'll let HIM get it and maybe try it out. He's the big Metroid fan after all.

I think I'm going with Twilight Princess. Paper Mario is still somewhat tempting though, I will admit that game has a certain charm. And Twilight Princess is owned by several other friends.

Leen-Leen
08-27-2007, 04:02 AM
Twilight Princess, definitely. And WarioWare is really good as long as you don't mind looking/acting silly. xD But I thought it was fun, especially playing with other friends.

JackNapier
08-27-2007, 05:23 AM
I'd definitely go with Zelda. Hell, WiiTennis is enough to amuse me for weeks.

Lawr
08-27-2007, 06:23 AM
I was gonna recommend Tenkaichi 3 but JK got it. But I guess you need something to occupy you ATM, so Zelda.

Dragonsoul
08-27-2007, 07:05 AM
So let's make a list here of the "must have" Wii games, since I may get a Wii in the Spring.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wario Ware Smooth Moves
Metroid Prime 3

Is there anything else that I missed? I'm only talking about the really top popular games! :)

JKTrix
08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I was gonna recommend Tenkaichi 3 but JK got it.

Damn right. Seriously, do not overlook this game.

Raebus
08-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Scar Face, it's incredibly fun and violent.

Ashi
08-27-2007, 03:31 PM
The only games I've spent any time on on the Wii are Cooking Mama and Trauma Center.

Of course, it's not my Wii so that might have been the reason.

Roto13
08-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Trauma Center is actually pretty awesome. :P

JKTrix
08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I concur. However I wouldn't reccomend it to someone who has a limited budget and hasn't bought Zelda yet.

Pre-Metroid games that best use the pointer: Trauma Center, Elebits

Pre-Metroid game that best uses the waggle: Kororinpa Marble Mania.

Proxy
08-28-2007, 04:45 AM
if you have friends, mario party would be a very fun game

That is the best drinking game ever.
Twilight Princess is so much fun. Alot of people I talked to took a while catching on with the controls, but I picked it up right away. Pretty easy IMO.
Mario Strikers Charged is alot of fun, but it is actually challenging.

I've heard Mama Cooking Cook Off! is alot of fun too.

Rostum
08-28-2007, 10:26 AM
My girlfriend got a Wii two days ago, and we've been playing Wii Sports and the extra games you get when buying an extra controller. Serious fun! I think she's gonna wait a couple of weeks to get a game though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-28-2007, 08:05 PM
So, I've determined that I will be waiting until October 7th-ish and getting Bleach. Because its apparently pretty amazing (my friend played it at PAX and beat the guys who were putting it on display).

JKTrix
08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
I really don't see Bleach being nearly as content-packed or all-around awesome as DBZ, but it seems to be pretty safe.

When I had initially heard of the DS and Wii Bleach games coming out in the US, I heard that they would be retrofitted (like the Naruto Wii game) to fit with the anime's television run. When I heard that, I forgot about the games entirely (I watched Bleach Wii played in front of me last year--wasn't particularly impressed--, and I own both DS games already). I ain't playin no Bleach game without no Bankai.

Researching the game just now though, it appears that the US version's content will be the same as the JP version--meaning Bankai and Arrancar and all that snazzy jazz. Still stuck with the dub voices, though it could be worse. (DBZ however, with its oodles of characters compared to Bleach's 32, has the option of both English and Japanese dialogue).

I'm probably still not going to buy it :P But at least now I know it won't be gimped.

I can understand your decision to skip Twilight Princess and Metroid and some of the other popular games--you have friends you can borrow them from. Prudent.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I can understand your decision to skip Twilight Princess and Metroid and some of the other popular games--you have friends you can borrow them from. Prudent.

And inexpensive!

But yes, I'm a huge Bleach fan. I'll get the other games eventually, just not when I'm on so tight a budget.

professor_scissors
08-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Actually, I've never been one for Metroid. Also, my roomate just freakin' won a Wii at PAX, so I'll let HIM get it and maybe try it out. He's the big Metroid fan after all.

I think I'm going with Twilight Princess. Paper Mario is still somewhat tempting though, I will admit that game has a certain charm. And Twilight Princess is owned by several other friends.

Bwahahahahahahahah.

Don't get Paper Mario, either. I'll be getting that and Prime as soon as I get the console.

Luigidudeman
09-02-2007, 04:27 AM
It's one of the few games that manages to make me want to stand up and clap at the end.

You're awesome. What you said is SO true, I love the ending! :)

Yeah, dude get Twilight Princess it's sooo great!