PDA

View Full Version : Who's The True Villain of FFX?

Forsaken Lover
08-23-2007, 09:51 AM
As I showed in the FF Villain Accomplishment thread, Yu Yevon is nothing more than a mechanical force, endlessly repeating the Summoning and dreaming with no will of his own. Thus, I can't consider him a "villain" because a villain knowingly commits some sort of violent act and can decide whether or not he does it. Yevon can not do that and apparently hasn't been able to for quite some time.

I'd say the Yevon faith is more to blame than anything for the state Spira is in.

Tavrobel
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
He comitted genocide at the end of the Machina War by unleashing Sin. He not only sacrificed his own people, but slaughtered legions of his enemies indiscriminately.

You don't have to be direct to accomplish your goals. If anything, nothing is obvious in FFX, and Yu Yevon started the entire chain of events. Even if he might not remember what his original aim was (a nod to the corruption felt after death), his everlasting actions and his newfound intentions make him equally as evil as any of the other villians.

The Clergy is filled with nothing but idiots who have been joined based on false information. The only people that could be blamed are individuals, suchs as Mika, or Seymour.

Firo Volondé
08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
The Yevon religion could not be considered villains. Most people involved with it were completely ignorant of the true nature of Yevon and its history. The leaders were sneaky, manipulative, underhanded and hypocritical, but not evil (with the possible exception of Seymour). Yevon may not have intended his attack to last 1000 years, but he did decide to initiate it. There are only two real villains in FFX, but the major one has to be Yu Yevon.

Jessweeee♪
08-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Hmm...I'd say there is no main villain. We're led to believe that it's Sin, but seeing it all, I wouldn't say that anymore x.x

Dirufan
08-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Seymour! XD

No.78
08-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Seymour and Yu Yevon I'd say.

jeo2388
08-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Seymour and Yu Yevon I'd say.

true true, the only ones that want to "heal" spira from suffering

rin you are a villain too you didnt tell me your spongebob :kaoupset:

LunarWeaver
08-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Auron and his failure to kill Yunalesca of course.

jeo2388
08-25-2007, 08:33 PM
and now they'r blaming the dead guy. . . . .:rolleyes2

Renmiri
08-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Oaka the XXIII and his greed ;)

Nah, Seymour is the one who mass murdered Ronsos just for sport. He is a true madman.

cally777
08-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Yu Yevon, Seymour, Yunalesca and the Yevon Priesthood. All are guilty of various evil deeds. But that does not mean they were wholly evil. YY may have originally wanted to protect Zanarkand and Spira from destructive machina. The others could have believed they were saving Spira from despair, Seymour had a rubbish childhood, etc. Villains don't need to be cardboard cutouts.

:choc::choc::choc:

Fynn
08-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I'd say it's more Seymour now than Yu Yevon. YY did do evil stuff in the past that started all this mess. But now look at Seymour - aren't his actions similar to those of Yu Yevon? History likes to repeat itself, yesh...

Tavrobel
08-26-2007, 09:45 PM
While their actions are similar, their intentions were most certainly not.

Seymour wanted to slaughter indescriminately in order to attain power, and used the guise of helping people as his excuse. His actions resulted in genocide of the Ronsos, blacklisting his Guado followers, and general upheaval for the protagonists.

Yu Yevon sincerely desired to help his people. His plan resulted in the destruction of his own city, but also a new way to preserve its memory and identity. He also subjugated hostiles. If he were after power, he had it, but he didn't act anything close to a tyrant. He just went a little insane.

Forsaken Lover
09-02-2007, 03:47 AM
I would say, after reading over all the facts, there is no one primary villain of FFX.

Yunalesca, Yevon and the Yevon faith all had a hand in the events of FFX. Yevon for summoning Sin, Yunalesca for beginning the Final Aeon and the Yevon faith for lying to the people and keeping Sin around for generations.

Bolivar
09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
It's a good question, and a testament to the game as FFX didn't have your run-of-the-mill RPG plot.

I would have to definately say it's Seymour though. I feel like Auron took Tidus to Spira to eventually defeat Sin and end the cycle, it was Jecht's wishes, I think maybe this was something they agreed upon before the end of their journey took place. Defeating Sin was something put in motion from the beginning of the game, basically his duty more than a conflict.

But Seymour got involved and screwed everything up. He got in the way of all of their plans, wanting to become Sin, and he was the one trying to stop them every step of the way, the antagonist. They had to defeat Seymour before their goals could be accomplished.

Hazzard
09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Villains don't need a reason to kill people.

Gennosuke
09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Its gotta be Seymour, was i the only one that wanted to kill him the very first time i saw him???

The Crystal
09-06-2007, 01:56 AM
If the majority of people can accept that FFVI don't have a main character, why they can't accept that FFX don't have a main villain?

Bolivar
09-07-2007, 04:44 PM
If the majority of people can accept that FFVI don't have a main character, why they can't accept that FFX don't have a main villain?

While it didn't have a main character, Terra was the most important, her theme was the world's theme and she is on the title design.

I would say in that case, terra being most prominent, that seymour is the most prominent villain.

Gunbl4de
09-12-2007, 09:57 PM
While Seymour is far and away the game's most prominent villain, it seems to me that FFX is very plot driven, that is to say, events both in game and in Spira's history influence characters and their actions. Take Seymour for example: his character is heavily influenced by the death of his mother. This drove him to total despair. He came to believe that all life desired extinction (much like necron in FFX), and developed a messianic complex. That said, it could be argued that Seymour's character was brought about by the death of his mother. In this way, he is more of a tragic victim of events, which are really beyond his control. Similarly, Yu Yevon was acting at the time when he created Sin to preserve his people from Bevelle, which threatened to slaughter them. He did not intend innocents to die, but in becoming so mindless lost control of Sin.
Of course, there are in FFX small, greedy characters such as Wen Kinoc, but these seem no more than minor villains who hae no real bearing.
FFX is a tragedy, and all of its characters are affected in some way by the tragedy that permeates the plot.