PDA

View Full Version : I have a dialema of the soul...

zorander
08-23-2007, 08:28 PM
...Somebody else's soul to be exact.

See, a couple of years ago I was browsing on the e-bay like website known as swapitshop. On this site, you can sell and bid for items with swapitshop credits.

Anyhoo, it had been a while since I had used any credits on my account and I felt like seeing what was up for bid.

What I found was someone who offered to sell his soul to the person who pays the high price of 2000 credits or the highest bidder.

Now I don't believe in souls, heaven, god or any of that stuff, BUT, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I decided to buy this person's soul for the full 2000 credits, beating the other 5 bidders. I figured, I don't believe in this kind of stuff, but this kid might do. And even if he doesn't really believe in it, the person who gets it may do and do something weird with it. Even if someone did get it and it's all harmless, I thought i'd get it and keep it safe just in case all that mumbo jumbo actually turns out to be true. That way, if I ever found the kid I could give it back. Also, I wasn't really spending my credits so why not give them to some kid to sped?

Anyway, the "Soul" is basically an A4 piece of paper with the kids name, age/date of birth, a statement declaring the sale of his soul and his signature.

I filed it away and totally forgot about it, until recently when going through my important documents to find my passport.

When I saw it again and read it, I recognised the name.

The soul belongs to a young boy named Kyle Moore. I recognised the name as that of a boy who had gone missing in Dorset in December 2006. He and his friend went out on a boat that capsized. His friend was found o.k, but Kyle wasn't found at all.
Here's the link to the news report: BBC NEWS | England | Dorset | Search for missing Kyle goes on (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/6199824.stm)

The Kyle who's "Soul" I supposedly now own and the Kyle that went missing may not even be the same person, but even so, It has got me to thinking.
If I do actually posess this boys soul and he has gone missing or died, what can I do about it?

would it help it I took the "Soul" to a priest or vicar so they can do some holy mumbo jumbo to it and see that it is returned to it's owner?
Or do I burn it and say a prayer for it's return even though i'm not a religious person myself?
Or am I just being daft? I know I don't believe in these things, but that doesn't mean I'm right about it.
What to do?

Any thoughts from the religious people in this forum?

(And I am actually being serious about all this, I do have said A4 signed paper)

Meat Puppet
08-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Coincidence. I’d just file it away again (or throw it in the trash), and forget about it.

McLovin'
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

DUDE you can have my soul too. I can send it to you over imageshack.

what a perfect way to commit suicide eh?

zorander
08-23-2007, 08:53 PM
perhaps if I study Voodoo I can summon his spirit and make it haunt my housemates,

McLovin'
08-23-2007, 08:55 PM
lol you be a shaman now mon!

u dont want no ghost in ur home man

itll keel jooooo

Jojee
08-23-2007, 09:00 PM
That website still exists, ne? Can't you see past transactions and ask? xD

That's pretty awesome, though.

Disco Potato
08-23-2007, 09:10 PM
If you're serious, maybe you should ask this in EoEO. Though it doesn't seem like you are anymore :p

Peegee
08-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Can somebody explain to me what a soul is? You obviously think it's a part of a person that can be removed, and not affect the person's autonomy and appearance of response to stimuli / qualia, or anything else physical. I'm not quite sure such a thing can exist.

McLovin'
08-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Only the devil can take your soul foo. And ur spirit either stays on our planet as a ghost or it goes to heaven.

Sir Edeon X
08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, for me (someone who does not believe in anything) the soul is another name for personality. But religious people think of it as a "portable personality"- something you can manipulate, take away, and when you die it goes to heaven, that kind of stuff.

I’d just file it away again (or throw it in the trash), and forget about it.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'd do.
Maybe you should frame it and stick it in your room's wall :eep:
Anyway, you're one of few people who can say: "Hey, I got that kid's soul!" :eek:

Rengori
08-23-2007, 09:46 PM
You got ripped off, I can get a good soul for about 500 credits. He probably took your 2000 credits, the soul, and flew to France.

zorander
08-24-2007, 12:23 AM
If you're serious, maybe you should ask this in EoEO. Though it doesn't seem like you are anymore :p

Oh I am serious about it. Perhaps a staff could move it over there then.

If I was 100% totally convinced that such things where make-believe, then I'd accept it as a simple bit of paper.
BUT.
Even though I don't believe in god, heaven and souls per-say, I do think/believe that a persons beliefs affect them, the world around them and even whatever they "experience" as an afterlife.
Like; I believe that when you die, that's it, shows over, you cease to exist, so when i'm on my deathbed, i'll see the last few moments of my life as they happen, then suddenly or gradually stop experiencing life and then... nothing. But I also think that means that someone who believes in heaven and hell (I mean really believes in it) etc, in the last few moments before they die, they will experience heaven or hell as they expect to see it (It'll only last for a fraction of a second in real time but may stretch on for an eternity in their mind) and then they too will cease to exist.

So, if this "soul" I now have is the real deal regardless of what I believe, I think I should do what ever is best for it like a "Just in case" kind of thing.

Captain Maxx Power
08-24-2007, 12:57 AM
According to the Life Manual(tm) a soul is the property of God and not ours to give away. So technically all you gained is a sheet of A4 paper for a whole bunch of credits.

Also you need to stop watching the Simpsons.

Rengori
08-24-2007, 01:16 AM
It's probably a coincidince, if it's not, well it's his fault for auctioning it.

blackmage_nuke
08-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Fuse it with a sword for some kind of rpg cliche'd super power

Selena_Akariko
08-24-2007, 05:37 AM
WHOA :eek: :eek: :eek: Never thought someone would want to sell his soul... Especially in that way...

I can't say I'm religious, since I don't go to church and stuff, but, to be honest, I would have been afraid to do such a thing... Or to buy such a thing for that matter...

Well, I wouldn't have just file it up again, but what I'd do is a bit too crazy to post here, I'll send it to the topic started via PM.

:save: Selena

zorander
08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
According to the Life Manual(tm) a soul is the property of God and not ours to give away. So technically all you gained is a sheet of A4 paper for a whole bunch of credits.

Also you need to stop watching the Simpsons.

Simpsons? Does the show give step-by-step instructions of how to sell a soul in it's episoides? I can't say I watch allot of T.V

Fuse it with a sword for some kind of rpg cliche'd super power

As interesting as that might be, I don't think I would want to condemn the soul of a 14 year old boy to the blade of any of my swords. He'd just spend the rest of eternity gathering dust and getting VERY bored.
The soul of a convicted criminal perhaps, then I'd bind it to a kitchen knife instead and use it to cut up soft fruit.

If there are no better suggestions, I'll end up going with the option of prayer among other things. Although I'm not sure what good that will do coming from a non-believer like me.

Peegee
08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
You can do whatever you want with it. In the simpsons Milhouse used Bart's soul coupled with his own in order to have two minions.