PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems

The Triumphant Hero
08-23-2007, 11:20 PM
My computer crashed. It works fine until I try to put the settings above 4 bits of color. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

o_O
08-24-2007, 02:25 AM
Sounds like a problem with your video card or display drivers. I would update video drivers to the latest available and see if that fixes the problem.

Baloki
08-24-2007, 11:00 AM
More details about your system and OS wouldn't hurt too ^_^

Namelessfengir
08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
how old is your machine? i have a ten year old running win95 and the base setting is 16 bit. (im on our xp right for internet) but drivers might do it but if this thing is as old as i think your better off pulling all your files and throwing it off an overpass. you could just pull the hard drive and make it a slave to a better machine then you'll be able to access all your files.

but that can wait right now get us the system info and we'll see

Baloki
08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
how old is your machine? i have a ten year old running win95 and the base setting is 16 bit. (im on our xp right for internet) but drivers might do it but if this thing is as old as i think your better off pulling all your files and throwing it off an overpass. you could just pull the hard drive and make it a slave to a better machine then you'll be able to access all your files.

but that can wait right now get us the system info and we'll see

What is it with people just throwing machines away? Old machines run fine, especially for internet browsing and the like, you don't need the latest equipment, fastest processor and top of the range graphics card to have a useable computer, you only really need those things if you're a) a hardcore gamer, or b) a hardware enthusiast.

All this machine probably needs is some tweaking, maybe a part replacing and some alterations to some of Windows settings, can I suggest that if your going to post in a help thread that your suggestion be helpful and not just "throw it away, it's obviously useless even though I actually have no evidence or details to back this up!".

Namelessfengir
08-24-2007, 01:06 PM
i actually have a machine this old the hard drive is 1.2 gigs and its graphics are 256 i use this only for text. as soon as i can im getting a nice little laptop transferring all the files over and lighting the damn thing on fire!!

but the end part is true we need more info

Baloki
08-24-2007, 01:33 PM
I have two computers downstairs that are more then 5 years old and they run everything fine, so you shouldn't paint everything with the same brush just because you don't know how to upgrade RAM and add additional HD's?

The Triumphant Hero
08-27-2007, 02:05 AM
The computer is new. I just got it for christmas a year and a half ago. It is Pentium 4, graphics card is GeForce 7600, and it's newer than the computer - I got it six months ago. I have 1.2 gigs of RAM. I think it's a problem with the card, because I reinstalled the drivers and it didn't work.

Namelessfengir
08-27-2007, 02:30 AM
good... info
sounds like the card got fried, have there been any storms or surges lately?

did you get a warranty with the card? if so how long was it for. this problem could be a product defect or a refund/replace worthy issue you should call the customer support and tell them about this. if they agree to refund go buy a replacement and install but they may want to have it shipped back for repair, this could take a few weeks for return but it may come with an updated warranty.

ps isnt 4 bits just shades of gray?

Baloki
08-27-2007, 10:56 AM
The computer is new. I just got it for christmas a year and a half ago. It is Pentium 4, graphics card is GeForce 7600, and it's newer than the computer - I got it six months ago. I have 1.2 gigs of RAM. I think it's a problem with the card, because I reinstalled the drivers and it didn't work.

Try uninstalling the drivers, shutting the machine down, reseating the card and then re-installing the drivers?

The Triumphant Hero
08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
I think 4 bits is 256 colors, but I'm not sure. There have been 2 bad storms where I live in the past week, and both times our power went out, but I made sure to unplug the computer before they hit. I tried reinstalling my old card, and it worked, but I still want to know what happened to the new one, since it should have lasted longer than six months.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Go into the Display Properties (under Control Panel), then click on the Settings tab.

Post up what it says under the "Display:" line.

rubah
08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
4 bits is 16 colors.