PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Phantasia

Lawr
08-24-2007, 01:56 AM
I got this game for the ZSnes, and I have to say, the battle style is innovative. So I made this thread if anyone has any tips or helpful info.

Currently, I'm 100 years into the past and I just got Mecha Blade. I was thinking of selling all my previous weapons, but it just doesn't feel right, and I don't really need the money.

Anyway,

So I made this thread if anyone has any tips or helpful info.

:thumb:

Laddy
08-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Utilize the skills of every character to create a battle formation that fits their role, that's key.

Markus. D
08-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Definetly.

Abuse items if you decide you would rather not play with a healer n__n

Dragonsoul
08-24-2007, 07:45 AM
I beat this game last year it was pretty good, it was over 40 hours long, which is long for a Snes rpg. Final Fantasy VI is probably the longest Snes rpg I've beaten.

Didn't the Tales of Phantasia team split up right after this(their first game) and one team continued to make the Tales games and the other team made the Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Radiata Stories, and upcoming Infinite Undiscovery games? :D

Captain Maxx Power
08-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Sort of, Zeromus_X could probably explain it better than anyone.

As for ToP I've got it for the GBA (though I never completed it because the back-up battery thought it would be fun to delete my save file). I will say this game lasts FOREVER. Seriously, I had like sixty hours clocked into my save file and I was just to say near the end. I've never known a central quest take as long in my life.

Lawr
08-24-2007, 11:37 AM
The leveling up is pretty lengthy, with skill mastering and all, but at least the numbers aren't as broken as Star Ocean.

Zeromus_X
08-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Yeah, basically the Namco Wolf Team, which was a subsidiary of Telenet Japan, broke up due to creative disputes after Tales of Phantasia was created. Three members of the team formed tri-Ace, the creator of the Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile series, among other games, while Namco took over the Tales series. This is why to this day, the Tales series and Star Ocean series share many similar gameplay elements, and share many of the same attacks and spells and so on.

Tales of Phantasia was truly an innovative game, although I still don't care for the clunky battle system of the Super Famicom version. I guess I've just been spoiled by the PlayStation version, since its battle system and everything else is lightyears ahead. But it will always be one of those games I'll always hold on to, it's fun to death in the battles and storyline.

Karellen
08-25-2007, 05:44 AM
I think I'll wait until tales-cless.org finishes their english translation of ToP before I bother to play it. I bought the GBA port a while back and it made me want to cut myself.

Dragonsoul
08-25-2007, 07:56 AM
:D !

Evastio
08-26-2007, 02:25 AM
Abuse items if you decide you would rather not play with a healer n__n
You mean without Mint? What's so bad about her?