PDA

View Full Version : Mario vs Link

Ashley Schovitz
08-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Who would win this battle of Nes characters?
Both characters have nearly all abilities and items available to them in all their games. This is a tough decision for me both characters take on world ending events alone and both have high skill and a ton of abilites, but Link has more. Link is probably more intelligent than Mario since his battles take a little more thinking.

Here's a list to about all the Mario items and abilities I can think of I'm not including anything from the sports games..

High Jump- All mario games
Fireflower- almost all
Mega Mushroom- New Super Mario Bros
Steel hat- Mario 64
Phasing hat- Mario 64
Invincible Star- Almost all
Tiny mushroom- New Super Mario Bros
Hammer- SMB3 Mario RPG Paper mario
Feather/Leaf- SMB3 SMW
Water thing- Super Mario Sunshine
Butt stomp- Mario Galaxy, SM64

Oops I forgot to add a poll can a mod do it please? It's really not a big deal though.

Tavrobel
08-24-2007, 11:36 PM
I just turned on my Gamecube, and played some Super Smash Brothers Melee.

I find that I wind up owning Link hard with Mario.

Cookie
08-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh I didn't realize I'd logged into gamefaqs today. Anyway, a warrior versus a plumber? Plumber, easily.

LunarWeaver
08-25-2007, 02:16 AM
I'd say if Link has captured Princess Peach, then Mario would win, and if Mario has captured Princess Zelda, then Link would win.

Monol
08-25-2007, 02:52 AM
I too played melee yet got very different results...Link is victorous but they both are the heros among heros in the videogame world

Evastio
08-25-2007, 02:59 AM
Mario has a lot more allies, support (from items), abilities, and hero experience than Link so it's obviously Mario.

Besides, Link has never had a game that was meant for experts while Mario has (Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels).

Pouring Rain
08-25-2007, 03:20 AM
I'm going to have to go with Link. I mean yes, I love Mario too, but he's just too huge. An italian eating spaghetti all the time is like, lame. AND HE'S A PLUMBER. But he's a plumber who saves the world.

...You know what? Yes, I prefer the hot blonde who's a swordsmans and a lady's man over the fat plumber.

Momiji
08-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Mario has a lot more allies, support (from items), abilities, and hero experience than Link so it's obviously Mario.

Besides, Link has never had a game that was meant for experts while Mario has (Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels).

You're totally forgetting about Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest.

Personally, I would say Link. I can't explain why. I just don't care too much for Mario.

Goldenboko
08-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt. Wrong. With the release of Wind Waker, a preorder would land long-time fans a harder verision of Ocarina of Time; Ocarina of Time Master Quest. The game had revised dungeons, all of which where harder then their predecessors.

When it comes down to it this fight would be a slaughtering. Mario would start but eating a mushroom, Link would then fire an ice arrow, freeze him, and then have his way with Mario :jokey:

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeahhhhh Link no contest. The whole "triforce-wielding avatar of the gods will" kind of wins.

Zante
08-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Mario is a smurfing plumber. Link would win.

Madame Adequate
08-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Mario, because Mario is not a fairy, not to mention that Mario has the capacity to speak and could thus solicit aid from others.

Hell I don't even like Mario. But he's a fat plumber who saves the world/princess without working up a sweat, whereas Link has a hell of a time saving the world/princess despite being personally chosen to do it by the powers-that-be.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Mario, because Mario is not a fairy, not to mention that Mario has the capacity to speak and could thus solicit aid from others.

Hell I don't even like Mario. But he's a fat plumber who saves the world/princess without working up a sweat, whereas Link has a hell of a time saving the world/princess despite being personally chosen to do it by the powers-that-be.

Well, Bowser's not exactly competent.

Zante
08-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Mario makes for some good games, but the challenges he has to face aren't really that menacing. Turtles and bugs which he kills by jumping on them? Falling blocks with recognizable patterns? You don't need much fighting skills for that.

Tavrobel
08-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Mario makes for some good games, but the challenges he has to face aren't really that menacing.

BUT THE SPINY SHELLS KILL YOU IF YOU JUMP ON THEM THEY ARE INVINCIBLE WORST ENEMY EVAR

Mario gets more lives than Link. Then again, both are affected by the Reset button, so if the battle begins to go one way, someone would just do that. He also gets power-up Stars that do instant death for all enemies on contact.

Depression Moon
08-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I will be real and say Link. Both are super bad, but I think that Link has more skill.

Evastio
08-26-2007, 02:20 AM
You're totally forgetting about Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt. Wrong. With the release of Wind Waker, a preorder would land long-time fans a harder verision of Ocarina of Time; Ocarina of Time Master Quest. The game had revised dungeons, all of which where harder then their predecessors.
If you haven't played Lost Levels and breezed through levels 1-1 to D-4 (including World 9) then you shouldn't even call the Master Quest a challenge.

Mario still has much more experience at fighting than Link has. He's also done a variety of rescues and adventures unlike Link. Also Mario was capable of fighting enemies ever since he was a baby. (In the Yoshi's Island series)

Shiny
08-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Mario is my favorite Italian stereotype.

Lawr
08-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Mario's adventures were originally just a dream...

ljkkjlcm9
08-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Honestly... the correct answer is
Samus

Thank you, game over

THE JACKEL

blackmage_nuke
08-26-2007, 07:42 AM
But mario jumps up and croaks from the slightest touch of a turtle

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Mario can take 2 hits. Link can take somewhere in the area of six. When he's first starting out.

Lawr
08-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Honestly... the correct answer is
Samus

Thank you, game over

THE JACKAL

THE JACKAL acutally meant, Ganandorf

Heath
08-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I think that in the interest of fairness, if Link were to have a sword than Mario (as a plumber) would need a lead pipe and everybody knows that the guy with the lead pipe always wins.

Ultima Shadow
08-26-2007, 12:45 PM
In SSBM Mario > Link.

No.78
08-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Mario has the amazing power to bend logic, I think he'd win.

Proxy
08-28-2007, 04:49 AM
I harbour no bad feelings for the little Italian. I just think Link...The Legendary Hero would boot-fuck a plumber anyday.
Mario is cool, but Link is FTW.

Forsaken Lover
08-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Mario's adventures were originally just a dream...

Pretty sure that was only SMB2 that took place in a dream. Don't remember hearing that about any other game.

Now let's face it. M

Mario vs. Link with no powerups is an easy win for Mario. Mario naturlaly is stronger and faster than Link.

-Mario routinely outruns bullets and cannons. They don't look fast to us because we're controlling Mario. Mario alsoc an run up walls.
-Mario tosses Bowser dozens, if not a hundred, feet with little effort. He also was chucking entire casltes in SMW. Don't give me "they were tiny!" We went through those same castles. They're not small. It was just the game engine.
-Mario survived being SHOT TO THE MOON. I also heard he dodges solar flares in Mario Galaxy.

Fact is, Link can't touch any of that without powerups like the Gauntlets.

Now when we get into powerups, Link and Mario both have Invincibility. Mario through Star and Link through Magic Armor. When we add up all the powerups, Link definitely wins in numbers but quantity or quality? Mario has stuff to make him big like Link's Giant Mask. Mario also has the Star Rod.

But if it came down to just one-on-one, Mario trashes the dork.

Peegee
08-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Mario can, among other things:

- fly / smash noobs from the sky
- turn into a tanooki
- turn to stone and smush Link
- throw hammers with armor of the gods
- shoot fire from his hands
- grow to a 12 foot tall giant
- survive any attack so as long as he has a power-up

I don't know anything about link except that he's an elf with a sword (more like a dagger) and a shield. And he wears tights....

I Took the Red Pill
08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Besides, Link has never had a game that was meant for experts while Mario has (Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels).Wrong. (http://zeldaparallelworlds.googlepages.com/intro)

Evastio
09-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Wrong. (http://zeldaparallelworlds.googlepages.com/intro)
It's not officially Nintendo since it's a hack. Even if hacked games (or non-Nintendo Games) did count I'm sure there's a lot of Mario Game Hacks out there that are much more difficult (if not impossible).

And if non-Nintendo Games are allowed than you should see how difficult the Hardcore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nPBfvPZ10) Worlds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0gOnVn4IQ&mode=related&search=) of Mario Forever (http://www.gamershell.com/pc/mario_forever/) are.

Luigidudeman
09-02-2007, 04:17 AM
The answer is simple...the better one is .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ........................................LUIGI!

^^ He is defintely cooler than Mario so yeah. Luigi is the best out of Mario and Link :confused:

But if I HAVE to choose between Mario and Link... if they truly FOUGHT... ahh, I..I can't choose :(

tidus_rox
09-02-2007, 06:59 AM
The answer is simple...the better one is .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ........................................LUIGI!

^^ He is defintely cooler than Mario so yeah. Luigi is the best out of Mario and Link :confused:

But if I HAVE to choose between Mario and Link... if they truly FOUGHT... ahh, I..I can't choose :(

lol the answer is obviously Link! He owns!

Skyblade
09-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Link. I'm sorry, but this is really no contest. Mario's basic arsenal is a jump. That's it. And while he may survive a bunch of wacky things happening to him in cutscenes, and may exhibit super powers (which, oddly, never show up when he's being attacked in combat), none of those let him survive more than one hit from a frelling Koopa. Yeah, he can single handly beat Bowser's army. So what? Bowser is one of the most incompetent villains in the universe. He uses poor tactics, inferior weaponry, and moronic minions. And even with his pathetic armies, he can kill Mario in two hits. Just because Mario has never faced competent opponents doesn't mean he's a fighting god. Basic skills to basic skills or full upgrades to full upgrades, Link wins. He's more versatile, stronger, and more durable. A plumber who is drugged up on mushrooms may be a match for Bowser, but he isn't going to do well against a well equipped warrior wielding a power that dwarfs anything Mario has ever seen (the Triforce of Courage).

Evastio
09-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Yeah, he can single handly beat Bowser's army. So what? Bowser is one of the most incompetent villains in the universe.
Mario has faced much more dangerous villains than Bowser. He's faced Wart, Smithy, Cackletta, Bowletta, Count Bleck, and many other villains. The only villains that Link faced that are somewhat worth mentioning are Ganondorf and Vaati. And they both were bad if not worse villains than Bowser. Bowser failed to defeat Mario more than Ganondorf failed to defeat Link because he tried more times to beat Mario. Even though Bowser and Ganondorf are both bad villains Bowser is definitely the more persistant of the two.

Also, Link actually has to depend on his weapons to defeat enemies while Mario can defeat his enemies unarmed. Without his sword, his bow, or any items Link can't beat anything. Mario can easily overwhelm opponents with just his hands and feet. If they were allowed to use items Mario would still win. He has much more of a variety of powerups than you think since all of his games have different power ups. And Mario has a lot more games than Link has so that greatly increases his arsenal of weapons to use against Link.

Ashley Schovitz
11-22-2007, 03:03 AM
Wait you can't be serious Mario doesn't have as many power ups as Link has gadgets. Every Zelda game has at least 12 gadgets to work with and I also gave a list to most of his power ups in my first post so that's a small list and if the two switched a day to go on each other's quests then Mario would defiently have a harder time than Link. I don't really sow in the comparison of the Bowser and Ganondorf with both being bad, both maybe being lacking in backgorund and personality though. Ganondorf is obviously smarter than Bowser, Bowser sets his arenas up to kill himself. Smithy and the bosses from Paper Mario he had help with, but I'm not sure about Count Bleck since i haven't played Super Paper Mario. Anybody can jump on a turtle and kill it, but Mario wouldn't even be able to beat a stalfos without a power up let alone a boss, but both would be able to fight with everything they have. The only way I can see Mario winning is if he's stocked up on 40 green mushrooms thus making link tired after beating him for the 10th time since Link can only carry about 4 revival fairies.

I like both of them equally, but I don't see how you can say that Mario would win against the hero of time.

Zeromus_X
11-22-2007, 03:22 AM
Please don't revive dead threads. In the future, look out for the dates on previous posts in a thread to determine if it is safe to reply to it. Thanks! :)