PDA

View Full Version : Xenosaga~

Pouring Rain
08-25-2007, 03:34 AM
Okay, I love Xenosaga. And I find that this game seriously doesn't get enough love. I don't see what's so bad with the game that people either ignore it or bash it. Yes, it's a bit confusing, but it's still a pretty good game overall. Tell me what you like and don't like about this series.

If you know me, then you know that I am obsessed with this game series. It rules my life.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
08-25-2007, 03:57 AM
Xenosaga is awesome, tbh. I know you're obsessed with it, it's your obsessiveness that got me into playing. Thanks for that <3 The first is my favorite. The second, kinda sucked a bit. But the third's graphics were amazing. :D

LunarWeaver
08-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Xenosaga is one of those things I was so obsessed with it will stay with me forever. I just loved everything about them and couldn't get enough. I'm dying for more and I was very sad the series got reduced to only 3 Episodes. I've played each of them 6 times.

I've always thought they got too much crap. Like I read other game reviews and they'll talk about how the cutscenes are long and mention Xenosaga as a joke. Or people will say they can't play it because they're too long. But it has the same as Final Fantasy X and few gamers have any problem with that. And .hack//GU//Whatever sells a bazillion copies but has 7 hours of scenes, one hour shy of Episode I. Baaaahh.

The series did falter a bit with Episode II and was a disappointment in some ways, but I found it to be rather enjoyable. III is my favorite, finding balance in the gameplay and story and really hitting the nail.

Maybe it's because I was tired with RPGs and needed something new. This series took chances and actually did things that were new for once. You would not see a character like Shion -- a nerdy scientist who is very clingy and not always emotionally "badass" -- as a main character in any other series. No, it will always be a 17-year-old male with a sword. And that is why Shion is my favorite character in the trilogy, because she was something new and complex, like the other characters.

I didn't find the plot hard to follow, just nicely different. It utilized some derivative ideas from the genre, but not many and all in new ways. I wish this series had found a greater following.

Nintendo bought Monolith Soft, so maybe we'll see some continuation on the Wii or something.

Zeromus_X
08-25-2007, 05:16 AM
I've only gotten through the beginning parts of the first game, and I only own the first two games. The characters, battle system, and sound really appeal to me, but I don't know why I just can't ever seem to sit down and play the game. It could be because of the seriously long cutscenes (a friend and I actually did make popcorn and watched some more of the game a few days ago), but I don't really have anything against the game, I just never seem to have time to sit down and play it. Someday I'll have to beat the game, though.

Eiko Guy
08-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I would love to play the trilogy but everytime I find any in the store I only see II and III. I will not skip sso sadly I haven't had the experience it.

fantasyjunkie
08-25-2007, 09:32 AM
A lot of people complain about the really long cutscenes but I loved them. They were my favorite part of the game.

Germ Hamee
08-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I think it's funny that I made such a huge deal about getting Xenosaga III as soon as it was released, and I have yet to even put the disc in my PS2. D'oh. >.>

I enjoyed the first two well enough, though they lacked that incredibly epic feel I was hoping for going in. Maybe that changes with the third game, but the first two just felt like nothing was ever going anywhere -- however enjoyable they may have been. Mostly I'm a huge fan of XS1's soundtrack. Holy crap were those orchestral pieces ever beautiful.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-25-2007, 05:39 PM
"Ma Belle Peche" scene = amazing. Albedo is by far one of my favorite villains.

Dragonsoul
08-26-2007, 01:48 AM
Xenosaga 4, 5, and 6 have been announced!!!
RPGamer - News Bulletin - Xenosaga IV: Die Geburt der Tragödie Announced (http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2007/040107b.html)

Also...
"Initial reports have been somewhat sketchy, but we do know that Episode IV is the precursor to Xenogears, which was dubbed "Episode V" in its credits."

They say that Xenogears is actually a part of Xenosaga?! Let me play all of the games! I should beat all of those games. :)

kikimm
08-26-2007, 01:58 AM
I've only played the first one, which confuses me, because I absolutely loved it. Just never got around to buying the second one, and now it's been so so so long I don't remember a whole lot of what happened. That's easily remedied I guess, but...*excuses*. I feel the same as Void about Albedo too. :heart:

And hell, the cutscenes weren't long enough! >=( Give me MORE. I love long story parts in games and the ones that bitch annoy me. How dare they have different taste!

The Unknown Guru
08-26-2007, 01:59 AM
I need to get these games. Any game that's epic enough to have half-hour cutscenes is right up my alley.

computer-geekz
08-26-2007, 03:28 AM
"Xenosaga 4, 5, and 6 have been announced!!!"

Oh, cruel April 1st! I wish it were true, but one can trust no news story released on that day (and ONLY on that day).

At least when Rooster Teeth announced on April 1st that RvB was ending, they confirmed it the next day.

Karellen
08-26-2007, 03:28 AM
RPGamer - News Bulletin - Xenosaga IV: Die Geburt der Tragödie Announced (http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2007/040107b.html)

Also...
"Initial reports have been somewhat sketchy, but we do know that Episode IV is the precursor to Xenogears, which was dubbed "Episode V" in its credits."

They say that Xenogears is actually a part of Xenosaga?! Let me play all of the games! I should beat all of those games. :)
You might want to check the date on that link.

rubah
08-26-2007, 04:34 AM
Sorta. The series was written many years ago to be produced by Square, but I think at some point the company decided to only take part of the script (what would be Episode V) and make that into a full-fledged Square title.

A lot of the group split because of creative differences and Namco scooped them up, allowing for the game to be created in full... or, rather, the first three parts at least.

I liked XS episode I sorta. The battle system didn't hold a candle to Xenogears', but whatever. I think the lack of background music and extremely limited camera perspective bothered me a lot though. I haven't gotten the second two though.

Vermachtnis
08-26-2007, 04:36 AM
I love Xenosaga! The story is hard to follow though, I mean I didn't know who the final boss was until I was there. And I don't mind that a bit. Know who I fill bad for in all of it, Miyuki. Poor Miyuki, Shion's always yelling at her for stuff she had little controll over (Elevator scene). Plus she's the cutest female character.:D

Also...

Someone needs to find Perfect Works :choc2:

Karellen
08-26-2007, 04:53 AM
For the record, Tetsuya Takahashi has stated several times that Xenosaga is not directly related to either Xenogears or Perfect works but rather follows the 'style' of both. If one is to look at the Perfect Works timeline, it's pretty noticeable that Xenosaga (or what it became) doesn't follow the same episode structure at all.

Dragonsoul
08-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Gah! That article I posted is an April Fools Joke?! I'm upset!!!

Gah, this series is very popular I want to beat it. I'm beating FF XII, Alundra 1, Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect this fall. What games should I beat in the spring? Here are my choices...

Buy Wii and beat:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario

Beat the top old PS 1 and PS 2 rpg's I haven't beaten:
FF 8, FF 9, FF X-2, Chrono Cross, Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Xenosaga 2, Xenosaga 3

What games should I beat in the spring? Please give me your top TWO choices only please. I'm curious about your thoughts even though I have my own preferences. :)

Bolivar
08-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Gah! That article I posted is an April Fools Joke?! I'm upset!!!

Gah, this series is very popular I want to beat it. I'm beating FF XII, Alundra 1, Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect this fall. What games should I beat in the spring? Here are my choices...

Buy Wii and beat:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario

Beat the top old PS 1 and PS 2 rpg's I haven't beaten:
FF 8, FF 9, FF X-2, Chrono Cross, Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Xenosaga 2, Xenosaga 3

What games should I beat in the spring? Please give me your top TWO choices only please. I'm curious about your thoughts even though I have my own preferences. :)

FFVIII and Xenogears. Or take out Xenogears and beat Parasite Eve, if you haven't. Check that game out.

On topic, I think it's real messed up that they didn't complete the series after stating how long it was supposed to be. I guess they have their reasons, but they should do it FOR THE FANS, out of respect to them.

MecaKane
08-27-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't respect anyone enough to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars for them, do you?

Wolf Kanno
08-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I do love this series. Although episode II was less than stunning and certain plot twists were not as surprising but hey it still started and ended beautifully.

I got into the series cause the team that worked on it created three of my favorite RPG's from SE (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears) Xenogears especially since I loved that game and it was the title that sorta became my standard for how an RPG should be from a writing and design perspective.

Saga was damn amazing and intriguing. I only wish Pied Piper had been released outside of Japan and on a system other than a cell phone. I had the chance to read a translation of the game's plot and must say that not only did it establish Ziggy as one of the best characters in the series but the game was far better written than even the poorly recieved Episode II (it's even more relevant than Eps. II) I also wish Xenosaga I & II for the DS had been released as well since that's the official canon that Episode III followed. The changes to the script of II for the game was much better from what little info I was able to gather but at least chaos and the Testaments got a bit more air time.

It's a shame the series may never be continued but at least it ended on a good note. Episode III is far more stunning than it'e predecessors (granted Epsiode I was damn good as well) The in-joke reference in Episode III were pretty funny as well (You get to fight the mysterious Red Gear and Weltall as well as the final form of Omega was a dead ringer for the final form of Deus in Xenogears with Weltall and Virge replacing Elhaym and Miang as the angels;) ). But the pacing and gameplay were well executed. I love the mecha combat especially.

The real shame is the fact that not everything ever got revealed. I'm still uncertain as to what exactly Wilhelm is... As well as chaos and KOS-MOS' exact relationship to the historical figures they represent. I need to brush up on my Gnosticism it seems...

Off Topic: For Dragonsoul's question, play Xenogears and Vagrant Story. I also highly recommend you find Persona 2 and 3 as both games are excellent.

Dragonsoul
08-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Cool! Xenogears and Vagrant Story, ok. I'm still considering, there is more time left. I rented Persona 3 recently and played for 3 hours. The story, characters, and voice acting are great and are the strengths of the game. The other aspects of the game are just ok. I enjoyed the game and recommend the game. Bioshock has been mailed to me and I'll get this rental in a couple days. :D

tidus_rox
08-28-2007, 04:01 AM
The only thing I don't like about it is the battle system... I confuses me too much. Other than that, I love them!