PDA

View Full Version : Is Shuyin The Worst Antagonist in FF?

Forsaken Lover
08-25-2007, 05:35 AM
To me, Shuyin never made any sense.

So, he was killed a millennium ago...WHY is he just appearing now as an Unsent to avenge Lenne? Seems like plot convenience but it is ridiculous.

We had a crazy-ass lover who wanted to destroy everything with Seymour. Why did we need another one?

Karellen
08-25-2007, 05:41 AM
His spirit haunted the cave under mushroom rock road and wasn't able to act until the Crimson Squad broke in there 2 years before the game.

I don't really think he and Seymour are similar at all. Seymour wasn't really anyone's lover, unless you count his mother. As for being the worst antagonist...well he isn't one of the better ones. It's kind of hard to judge this sort of thing as you have to take into account when each game was released, but I would say that at the very least he was a better villain then Ultimecia.

ReloadPsi
08-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Well he's a legally batterable version of the worst PROtagonist. As far as I'm concerned, that makes him the best antagonist ever.

BG-57
08-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I would have liked to see him developed a bit more. Although at least his motives are explained in more detail than Ultimecia's.

The central problem with him is that he just happens to be the physical template of Tidus. And of course if he hadn't Yuna would have never gone on her quest and there'd be no game. It's a very implausible premise on which to hang the entire plot.

McLovin'
08-25-2007, 04:39 PM
This game has a lot of "worsts" :p

PuPu
08-25-2007, 05:32 PM
This game has a lot of "worsts" :p
The only good thing I could think of was its battle system.

BG-57
08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
New Game+ is always welcome. Too bad the developers don't use that feature in the regular FF series.

Also I liked some of the new characters: Balarai, Gippal, and especially Leblanc.

Sphere Break was fun as well.

Nifleheim7
08-26-2007, 01:30 AM
He was better than Vayne.:tongue:

ReloadPsi
08-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Also I liked some of the new characters, especially Leblanc.

Coolest personalised battle theme since Jenova. Not counting final battle themes of course.

Goldenboko
08-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Coolest personalised battle theme since Jenova. Not counting final battle themes of course.

And not to mention has the Sexiest Minigame.... ever.

ReloadPsi
08-26-2007, 04:59 PM

And not to mention has the Sexiest Minigame.... ever.

And a fan as her primary weapon, just like that Anji dude from Guilty Gear X. He ruled.

Jessweeee♪
08-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Hmm...depends on what you like in a villain :greenie:

Sefie1999AD
08-26-2007, 10:46 PM
*MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!*

Well he's a legally batterable version of the worst PROtagonist. As far as I'm concerned, that makes him the best antagonist ever.

:D I actually think Shuyin is one of the more tragic FF villains, and while he's an antagonist, I was quite sorry for that guy, and it was quite an emotional scene when Shuyin and Lenne faded away together. He just has to go through so much. He sees his lover killed by the Machina War. Sin keeps Spira in a vicious spiral of death for 1000 years, but Tidus, Yuna and others are finally able to defeat it. So all is well and the people of Spira are finally able to live in peace, right? Right?

Wrong. Instead, they still end up hating each other and almost start a war because of their differences, rather than trying to work together with what common they have. Shuyin can't stand seeing people kill each other anymore, so he decides to destroy all of Spira to make the killing stop once and for all. IMHO, that's a lot deeper than the story behind some of the other FF villains.

Jessweeee♪
08-27-2007, 12:21 AM
*MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!*

:D I actually think Shuyin is one of the more tragic FF villains, and while he's an antagonist, I was quite sorry for that guy, and it was quite an emotional scene when Shuyin and Lenne faded away together. He just has to go through so much. He sees his lover killed by the Machina War. Sin keeps Spira in a vicious spiral of death for 1000 years, but Tidus, Yuna and others are finally able to defeat it. So all is well and the people of Spira are finally able to live in peace, right? Right?

Wrong. Instead, they still end up hating each other and almost start a war because of their differences, rather than trying to work together with what common they have. Shuyin can't stand seeing people kill each other anymore, so he decides to destroy all of Spira to make the killing stop once and for all. IMHO, that's a lot deeper than the story behind some of the other FF villains.

OMGITOTALLYAGREEWITHEVERYTHINGYOUJUSTSAID

Also I love Shuyin because he is essentially Tidus :love:

silentenigma
08-27-2007, 02:10 AM
Seems like plot convenience but it is ridiculous.

The entire game is ridiculous, so therefore he fits perfectly.

Lawr
08-27-2007, 02:19 AM

I think it would be easier to have typed "QFT" instead of "OMGITOTALLYAGREEWITHEVERYTHINGYOUJUSTSAID"

Final Fantasy X-2 is garbage.

Jessweeee♪
08-27-2007, 02:44 AM

I think it would be easier to have typed "QFT" instead of "OMGITOTALLYAGREEWITHEVERYTHINGYOUJUSTSAID"

OMGITOTALLYDISAGREEDWITHEVERYTHINGYOUJUSTSAIDBUTIT'SCOOLWEALLHAVEOUROPINOINSANDSUCHSOITWOULDBEREALLY SILLYIFIWERETOGETWORKEDUPOVERITWOULDN'TIT?

Lawr
08-27-2007, 02:46 AM

OMGITOTALLYDISAGREEDWITHEVERYTHINGYOUJUSTSAIDBUTIT'SCOOLWEALLHAVEOUROPINOINSANDSUCHSOITWOULDBEREALLY SILLYIFIWERETOGETWORKEDUPOVERITWOULDN'TIT?

QFMT

Yuna_wannabe
08-27-2007, 05:33 PM
To me, Shuyin never made any sense.

So, he was killed a millennium ago...WHY is he just appearing now as an Unsent to avenge Lenne? Seems like plot convenience but it is ridiculous.

We had a crazy-ass lover who wanted to destroy everything with Seymour. Why did we need another one?

i always thought it was because of the songstress dress sphere..because it had the spirit of lenne within it , when yuna wore it , it awakened lenne aswell awakening Shuyin. like i said thats the best sense i could make out of and its wat i thought all along :)

Karellen
08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Shuyin awakes at least 2 years before Yuna gets the dressphere. He possesses Nooj while on a mission with the Crimson Squad and attacks his allies, which causes the group to disband.

Markus. D
08-28-2007, 06:32 AM
It's not ridiculous at all.

It's just not told linearly, you have to collect a couple of otherwise non-story-obtainable items.

Definetly more explained than Ultemecia~.

Disco Potato
08-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Sephiroth1999AD explained it better than I could've, but basically yeah, I think Shuyin's one of the better villains in that you can actually sympathize with his motives.

Monol
08-30-2007, 04:11 AM
I liked that guy actually...His story is OK and wasnt he supposed to look like Tidus because tidus's dream image was based on shuyin or somthing like that? Ah no matter I thought the final battle with him was INCREDIBLY sweet...its one of my favorite FF battles actually so he's one of my favorite villains based on that logic :greenie:

Plus he like...Is in love...isnt that enough to like qualify for being at least some what groovy? Just feel the love ya'll...feeel the love :cool:

Rodney
08-30-2007, 06:20 AM
The worst? Uh-uh. That's definitely Ultimecia.

Razgriz
10-05-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't think Shuyin is such a bad guy. In fact, I like him.
Besides, he's connected with Tidus. This guy I like a lot.
Here's a quote from FFX-2.

Maechen: Lady Yuna, a rumor has been going around of late. Perhaps you’ve heard
it. They say that High Summoner Yuna was accompanied by a guardian from, of all
places, Zanarkand! Oh, yes, that young man raised quite a few eyebrows at the
blitzball tournament in Luca. I spoke to him myself on a number of occasions. I
could sense that he belonged to an otherworld. That he should look so much like
the man in that sphere cannot be mere coincidence, I should think.

Yuna: There’s a connection.

Maechen: There is. I would very much like the chance to ask him, and clear this
matter up once and for all.

Just wanted to say that they are connected.

Skyblade
10-06-2007, 04:54 AM
While I am not a huge fan of Shuyin, he is definitely not the worst antagonist. That title is won by Seymour, hands down.

No.78
10-06-2007, 11:57 AM
FFX2 should be regarded as either a spinoff or the 2nd half of FFX, and so Shuyin can not even be in the FF antagonists list, so he can't be the worst can he?

Just wanted to say that they are connected.

Yes Shuyin is the 'real' version of Tidus.

Jessweeee♪
10-06-2007, 03:19 PM

While we're on the topic of villains can someone explain Necron to me?

No.78
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Thats a whole other basket of fish >_> I'm sure it's been discussed a thousand times in the FFIX board lol.

BG-57
10-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Try this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/107768-necron.html). It should help.

On the matter of Shuyin being connected to Tidus there is no doubt. The question is what is the nature of their connection. It seems to me that many of the Fayth entombed in Mt. Gagazet knew Shuyin personally, so the memory of him influenced their collective dreaming. After 1000 years their dream produced Tidus, a perfect copy physically of Shuyin, but with no memories of the original Zanarkand or Lenne.

Xear
10-16-2007, 12:04 PM

While we're on the topic of villains can someone explain Necron to me?

Yes somone please do :)

Alot of people critizie Syemore, Shuyuin and umaticia.... But Necrom was far the lamest.... he just pops up at the end with no explanation claiming hes going to kill everything... Marry poppins would make a better bad guy then Necron... logicly and aperance wise :-P

Crossblades
10-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Shuyin was a decent antagonist. He wasn't that great, but he wasn't that bad. I kinda liked his story too. It just seemed a bit different from other FF antagonists IMO