PDA

View Full Version : I'm never buying music or games again

crono_logical
08-25-2007, 09:08 AM
BioShock Demo Installs SecuROM Service (http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo/)

If installing games, even demos, installs rootkits (essentially malware/spyware to most of you) on your computer which has a nice possibility of crippling your system in due time, software companies are teling us pirating is the safe way to go :D

(The article might not call it a rootkit anymore, but if it's going around hiding parts of the system registry and files, it's a rootkit whatever they want to call it :p )

Same applies for music, if any of you guys remember the Sony fiasco when they put rootkits on audio CDs - safer to download music really :p

I suggest anyone that's tried BioShock or it's demos to reformat your computers :monster:

Rengori
08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
I never buy music anymore, downloading's a hell of a lot easier when you're not looking for like the really underground bands (that's what MySpace is for now, kids!). Except the occasional collector's vinyl from underground bands.

Polaris
08-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Well lots of people download music because the games and cd prizes are stupid! Here a music CD costs 20€ wtf?? 20€ for a damn cd? when you can have a pack of 20 cds for 2,50€??? :eep:
Plus a game for a Ps2 costs 60€ a football games :eep: For Chris sake
-.-" I would give 35€ (I bought my FF8 for 25) but more than that it's just stupid! ^^ Besides here people don't gain too much money with thei jobs so if anyone wnats to have the entire FF collection *laughs* weather they download or win the lottery!:rolleyes2

Rengori
08-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Here a music CD costs 20€ wtf?? 20€ for a damn cd? when you can have a pack of 20 cds for 2,50€??? :eep:

Damn, and I thought Borders's $20 for a CD was bad. :eep:

Levian
08-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Ah good. Now I have a valid reason to continue downloading. I'm downloading stuff because of security, not because I'm stingy and lazy.

Baloki
08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
This thread endorses illegal activity :p?

mooglebunni608
08-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Now I think downloadings okay.

I wonder if that stuff is on my new CD... *cries*

Odaisι Gaelach
08-25-2007, 03:56 PM
This thread endorses illegal activity :p?

Of course not, we're endorsing formatting hard drives. :D

How do you remove the SecuROM "rootkit" from your computer? I'd like to see if it makes a difference with my computer...

And why did they include copy protection software with a demo?

o_O
08-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I buy a lot of music, and will continue to do so. I also buy a lot of software, but I'll definitely be more careful about what includes what now.

If they're putting rootkits into commercial software now, I shudder to think how long it will be before they cross the line and start monitoring activity of other natures on computers at their discretion. There is a definite privacy and trust breach here, that kind of reminds me of the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage">WGA uproar</a>.

Madame Adequate
08-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I long for the days when we only had CD keys to complain about.

Here's the thing: There has yet to be a software protection mechanism which works. I would imagine that they are compelled to try and create one, because if they don't take active steps to protect their stuff they could be greatly weakened in court over it (Ie. "Why didn't you even put basic copy-protection on this? You clearly don't care that your game is being copied. Case dismissed.") But, just as with movies, where you will be told not to pirate only when you pay to see a movie, these measures only hurt genuine customers.

Had I known in time, I would not have purchased Bioshock until this matter was resolved.

Proxy
08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I buy my CD's and Movies.
The way I look at it, if you like the band/artist, you'll buy thier CD so they can make more in the future.

Meat Puppet
08-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Well I, for one, happen to be a huge fan of rootkits.

Mirage
08-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Well lots of people download music because the games and cd prizes are stupid! Here a music CD costs 20€ wtf?? 20€ for a damn cd? when you can have a pack of 20 cds for 2,50€??? :eep:
Plus a game for a Ps2 costs 60€ a football games :eep: For Chris sake
-.-" I would give 35€ (I bought my FF8 for 25) but more than that it's just stupid! ^^ Besides here people don't gain too much money with thei jobs so if anyone wnats to have the entire FF collection *laughs* weather they download or win the lottery!:rolleyes2
What, you think you're paying for the actual medium? You're paying for a limited license to listen to the music, not the actual CD.

Baloki
08-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Well I, for one, happen to be a huge fan of rootkits.

Fatal Impurity
08-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Haha i remember when i found the StarForce protection hiding in my hardware manager! Man it gave me no limit of pleasure to press "uninstall hardware". In fact the wierd thing was games that used starforce still worked without the service running....