PDA

View Full Version : The obsession that is TV series on DVD.

Breine
08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
As a trusty fan of both Buffy and Angel I slowly began to buy the two shows on DVD a while ago - y'know, just because I'm a nutty fan and I have some money to spare. Up until now I have the first four seasons of Buffy and the first two of Angel. I just got the second season of Angel a couple of days ago, and somehow I managed to go through the entire season in like 3-4 days.. It just became a mad obsession, like a drug in the form of DVDs. Anyway, I've just ordered the third season of Angel (and I originally wanted to buy the fifth season of Buffy as well, but that was just too expensive :mad:) and it should be arriving in the mail in just a day or two, which will be when I'll go back into this "mad obession mode" and watch the entire third season in the same amount of days, or maybe even less. It's pretty choco-loco.

Anyway, now for the topic. Do you have any of your favourite TV series on DVD? - and have you ever been obsessed about watching them like me?

Tavrobel
08-25-2007, 03:54 PM
My cousin has Scrubs 1-5, and I myself have all of the OC and House 1 and 2. I regularly watch them and even the extra special options. Then again, this could be attributed to my mass boredom of the world.

Really, I get almost all of my TV shows on DVD if possible.

Elly
08-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion box set, Gundam Wing box set, .hack// all series' except ROOTS which isn't completely released yet, The Matrix 10 disk box set, Ventur Bros. vol.1&2, Sealab2021 vol.1-3 (we're saving up for the season 1-5 box set of 6 Feet Under as well)... i have watched them all through on many occasions, this could be attributed to the fact that i don't have cable, satalite, or dish, mostly due to me not wanting to spend money on 300++ channels of nothing that i would only watch about twice a week anyway...

edit: omg... how could i possibly forget the Firefly box and Serenity when they're both sitting here by my desk, i feel i have committed a small blasphemy by forgetting them...

Germ Hamee
08-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeeeaah, I went pretty crazy with my Buffy/Angel DVDs too, and more than once. I've held several Buff-a-thons at my house for friends that had never seen the show before. Sometimes we would go through entire seasons in one weekend. Needless to say, I know much of the episodes by heart now.

I've had similar bouts of insanity with Veronica Mars, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost, but nothing has quite reached the level of crazy as the Buffyverse did. I actually found that the second season of Lost is way more tolerable when the episodes are back-to-back. All of that slowness isn't quite so annoying when you don't have to wait a week (or more) between episodes.

Roogle
08-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Well, I like shows that build heavily upon continuity, so Angel was pretty much a given for that.

Kirobaito
08-25-2007, 06:13 PM
i have 24 Seasons 1-5, Lost seasons 1-2, the complete series of Beast Wars and Beast Machines, as well as a couple of seasons of Family Guy. Buying 24 was more out of necessity than anything else, because I had never seen seasons 1-5. The rest were just wanting to have them.

LunarWeaver
08-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I have some Futurama I watched a lot, but not really anymore because I memorized all the jokes. Battlestar Galactica I went through like absolute madness.

Karellen
08-25-2007, 06:37 PM
I think Evangelion, Firefly and House are the only series on DVD that I bought and watched more then once. I still like owning them though for collection reasons.

Meat Puppet
08-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I have two seasons of House, but I like a TV and DVD player to watch them on. :-\

Roto13
08-25-2007, 07:05 PM
I have the whole series of Arrested Development. I thought it would be one of those shows that would never really be that big in syndication because it was so short, so I bought it myself so I could watch it any time. :)

Tallulah
08-25-2007, 07:06 PM
I have been watching episodes of British sitcom 'My Family' a lot lately. I only have the first two series, but I'm planning to get more soon.

Eiko Guy
08-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Once I stop oweing people money I am splruging on Charmed all seasons. I would love to sit and watch an entire season in one sitting. BUt that's like 30 hours. ah well.

Burtsplurt
08-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I bought Battlestar Galactica seasons 1 and 2. I watched them in about 2 weeks. I just couldn't stop myself (but it was worth it). I'm doing the same thing with The Shield at the moment. That's an awesome programme.

I also have Lost, Red Dwarf, Blackadder and The A-Team on DVD. Germ: I agree with you about Lost - I used to hate waiting a week and I used to sporadically miss episodes anyway. DVDs are so much better for continuity. I'm having the same problem with Heroes at the moment.

Rengori
08-26-2007, 12:30 AM
I've got a :skull::skull::skull::skull:load of That 70's Show, 4 seasons of Wildboyz, and I've got 1 season of Robot Chicken, My Name is Earl, and the Office, but there are a lot more Adult Swim shows I want on DVD, particularly Birdman and Metalocalypse (October, hurry the fuck up!)

Markus. D
08-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I <3 my Scrubs Series 1-5~

edit: I've been meaning to get That 70's show on DVD (favorite sitcom).

kikimm
08-26-2007, 01:31 AM
I just have the second season of The Office. :(

Renmiri
08-26-2007, 01:32 AM
The only way I manage to watch a series nowadays is if I buy it. Being in front of the TV for the regular show is just too limiting.

Shin Gouken
08-26-2007, 01:48 AM
I have all of angel and the OC. Right now im doing exactly what you are doing but with smallville. Having watched seasons 1-3 in a couple of weeks, i am now waiting for my copy of season 4. Its not getting here quick enough :(

Avarice-ness
08-26-2007, 02:39 AM
I have House Season One and Two and as odd as this may sound..

All the seasons of Lost in Space on VHS at my mom's house! Yay old sci-fi shoes! :D

Faris
08-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Hmm, let's see. We own: Buffy 1-7, Dark Angel 1-2, Dead Like Me 1-2, Dharma & Greg 1, Dinosaurs 1, CSI:NY 1-2, Futurama 1-4, House 1-3, Lost 1-2, Lost In Space 1-3, NCIS 1-3, The Office 1-2 (3 when it comes out next month), Roswell 1-3, Soap 1-4, 3rd Rock From The Sun 1-6, Three's Company 1, and Welcome Back Kotter 1.

I am obsessed with 4 of those.

Resha
08-26-2007, 04:09 AM
The only time I ever watched a TV series on DVD was when I rented Lost :O

It beats watching them on TV itself, for which I lack the discipline. :p

Madame Adequate
08-26-2007, 04:33 AM
Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and House. I'll watch each of them about once a year (And obviously two are still being added to :D)

Eiko Guy
08-26-2007, 04:42 AM
*murders all non-charmed fanatics*

aquatius
08-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I have every series of Friends on DVD. My brother has every Black Books, and Green Wing series 2.

El Bandito
08-26-2007, 12:10 PM
I own every single episode of every TV show that I have ever enjoyed.

I named my collection "the internet".

Ashi
08-26-2007, 12:21 PM
My family owns Gilmore Girls, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Agatha Christie's Miss Marble, The Twillight Zone, Lost, 24, etc etc on DVD... but we haven't all sat down and watched every single one of these because we all have different interests.

Rostum
08-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Then again, this could be attributed to my mass boredom of the world.

You should really try stepping outside the house to experience what the world has to offer. :)

I bought the whole Family Guy collection in a DVD box set for my girlfriend. She watched it all in a week or two, and I've watched a fair bit of it. I really want to get the Scrubs collection and The Office (British and American versions) collection.

Other than that, I don't have any reason to get any other box sets. I don't watch much TV, except for the occasional show that comes up once a week (like House).

Edit: Oh, and I heard they are bringing out the complete collection of X-Files. I'd love to get that, but I bet it'll be fairly expensive (around the $300USD mark).

Tavrobel
08-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Then again, this could be attributed to my mass boredom of the world.

You should really try stepping outside the house to experience what the world has to offer. :)

The world has Best Buy. I can ignore everything else, because it bores me.

I bought the Office (complete British series), House 3, OC 4, and Animaniacs 3 yesterday.

Rase
08-26-2007, 03:18 PM
I technically have just season one of The Office (American version). However, I have access to season two (and soon three), as well as season one through four of That '70's Show. I'm looking to buy all three seasons of Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law, but I'm debating whether to do it via iTunes (and thus have access to it anywhere) or DVD (and thus have a hard copy and be able to watch it on nice TV's).

Namelessfengir
08-26-2007, 11:05 PM
edit: omg... how could i possibly forget the Firefly box and Serenity when they're both sitting here by my desk, i feel i have committed a small blasphemy by forgetting them...

yes you have and for your punishment ..... they're coming....REAVERS!!!!

firefly is the first one i think of for box sets also the first i got.

what else... lois and clark season 1 & 2
stargate season 1
startrek season 2
seaquest seasons 1 and 2
outlaw star
fullmetal panic all three series
escafowne
mr show
tidus
hercules season 1 (for only $18)
dark angel complete series (definitely could of seen more of jessica alba)
lovehina
flcl
indiana jones
back to the future
matrix
thats about it

Avarice-ness
08-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Hmm, let's see. We own: Buffy 1-7, Dark Angel 1-2, Dead Like Me 1-2, Dharma & Greg 1, Dinosaurs 1, CSI:NY 1-2, Futurama 1-4, House 1-3, Lost 1-2, Lost In Space 1-3, NCIS 1-3, The Office 1-2 (3 when it comes out next month), Roswell 1-3, Soap 1-4, 3rd Rock From The Sun 1-6, Three's Company 1, and Welcome Back Kotter 1.

I am obsessed with 4 of those.

When did House season 3 come out? :(

Oh fudge, it came out last Tuesday. I need to get some money.

Miriel
08-27-2007, 07:32 AM
I don't really have that many DVDs. I usually rent something on Netflix if I want to see it. The one TV series I do have on DVD is Alias season 1. Alias was an amazing amaaaaaaaaaaazing show before its unfortunate downfall came about. Rest in peace, my beautiful little show.

Yamaneko
08-27-2007, 07:39 AM
I just download 'em a few hours after airing since I don't watch TV.

JKTrix
08-27-2007, 12:39 PM
I have Mork & Mindy, all current releases of Scrubs and Firefly. Everything else is anime.

White Raven
08-28-2007, 12:20 AM
For me:

~Aqua Teen Hunger Force - Volume's 1-4
~Arrested Development - Season 1
~Chapelle's Show - Volume's 1 & 2
~Clone High - Complete Series
~Dilbert - Complete Series
~Family Guy - Volume's 1 - 3
~Harvey Birdman - Season 1
~Home Movies - Season's 1 & 4
~Futurama - Season's 1 - 4
~Invader Zim - Complete Series
~The Office (US) - Season's 1 & 2
~Sealab 2021 - Season 4
~The Simpsons - Season's 1, 2, 6
~South Park - Seasons 1-5
~Space Ghost: Coast to Coast - Volume 1
~Undergrads - Complete Series

I only get TV series DVD's when they're $30.00 (CAN) or below so that's why most of 'em are incomplete.

:)

fantasyjunkie
08-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Oh snap. I have F troop, MASH, SG-1, started on fresh Prince of Bel air

cloud_doll
09-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I have Family Guy 1 and 2, which I love sooo muchoos.
Gilmore Girls 1 and 2 that I pretty much watch in like three days xD.
Fruits Basket complete that I watched in just a day or two.
Chobits complete which is an amazing show =D
And Pretear which is really cute.
Right now I'm saving up for all of the Gilmore Girls, some more anime, Boy Meets world, and Invader Zim.

Red Phire
09-14-2007, 05:05 AM
I have all 3 seasons of Arrested Development(best show ever imo) and the first 2 volumes of Family Guy, had the third one but it was stolen.

Del Murder
09-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Arrested Development seasons 1-3
Chappelle's Show season 1
The Critic seasons 1-2
In Living Color season 1
Justice League seasons 1-2
Newsradio seasons 1-2
Simpsons seasons 1-7
Spider-Man Animated seasons 1-5
Superman Animated seasons 1-3
X-Men Animated seasons 1-5

I try to get ones you can't see every day on syndication. Simpsons I only have because it was the greatest show ever made. I should get the Batman Animated series one of these days.

tidus_rox
09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I have Lost Season 1. Its pretty good, I have watched it a few times ;)

Jess
09-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I have the first 3 seasons of Shameless on DVD, and even though I have seen every single episode before. Other than that, I don't really have much on DVD that is from TV. I have a few X-files episodes, and the first season of Sugar Rush. :jess: