PDA

View Full Version : Please help me find out about the physical fourth dimension...

Peter_20
08-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Behold the rotation of a rotating tesseract, a 4D cube:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Glass_tesseract_animation.gif

Where... the... hell... is the fourth dimension?
I can't understand it at all! :(

Nominus Experse
08-25-2007, 11:16 PM
And why can't you read the article? It explains it all right there.

Rengori
08-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Why do you need to know it anyway? Isn't it just time?

McLovin'
08-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Its the dimension I'm in!

Damn you Peter for finding me!

The Unknown Guru
08-26-2007, 12:09 AM
In string theory, there are 10 spatial dimensions, but they're all really really small.

blackmage_nuke
08-26-2007, 12:25 AM
In string theory, there are 10 spatial dimensions, but they're all really really small.

I thought only 7 were really small and 3 were big, but i havent looked at it for a while

SnoopyG
08-26-2007, 01:07 AM
that picture looks so trippy :choc:

The Unknown Guru
08-26-2007, 01:55 AM

I thought only 7 were really small and 3 were big, but i havent looked at it for a while

Yeah, that's what I meant. I need more sleep.

Evastio
08-26-2007, 01:58 AM
If it isn't time I have no idea what it is.

o_O
08-26-2007, 02:48 AM
This is how I learnt it:
You can construct a 1-dimensional object (a line) by taking two points and joining them:
<pre>A • • B => A •--------• B</pre>
You can construct a 2-dimensional square by taking two parallel lines and joining them:
<pre>A •----• B => A •----• B
| |
C •----• D C •----• D</pre>
You can construct a 3-dimensional cube by taking two parallel squares and joining them in the same way. I'm not drawing that. :p

Finally, you can construct a 4-dimensional tesseract (or hypercube) by taking two parallel cubes and connecting each correlating point.
Since we only have three <i>visually observable</i> dimensions, most of the time the 4th dimension of 4-d hypercube is represented visually as permutations of the cube structure over time, which is why that picture you supplied is rotating like that.

I stole this image from Wikipedia and highlighted each cube so that you can see how each of the two cubes connect together.

Heath
08-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Behold the rotation of a rotating tesseract, a 4D cube:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Glass_tesseract_animation.gif

Where... the... hell... is the fourth dimension?
I can't understand it at all! :(

Witch! Burn them! Burn them!!!!

I tried watching a flash about the ten dimensions but I sorta lost track after about seven. Shows how fantastic I am, I'm sure.