PDA

View Full Version : Mafia

Levian
08-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Ever played this fun game in school? Shouldn't be too hard to adapt it to the internets! So let's have a killin' good time everyone. Here's an article about the game for those of you who are new to this game: Mafia (game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_Game). This game requires little effort and activity, so everyone will be able to enter just fine and this game should run along smoothly. :mog:

edit: This flash (http://www.sitesled.com/members/mikeburnfire/mafiascum04.swf), provided by Miriel, explains Mafia very easily, so everyone should definitely check that site out!

So, hey, let's sign up! I'll be the narrator and therefore not part of the game. I'll let you know at a later moment how long nights and days will last, as well as the number of mafia and policemen. This will depend on how many wants to play this game, so it's a bit early to tell just yet :p

If anyone got any good idea for rule variations, they are very welcome to post about it in this thread before we start :D

Participants/Possible victims:
Captain Maxx Power
Del Murder
demondude55
DK
Faris
fire_of_avalon
Flying Mullet
I Took the Red Pill
Jessweeee♪
Magus of Zeal
Miriel
oddler
Old Manus
Psychotic
Radje
Rengori
Resha
Shauna
Shiny
The Fonz
The Summoner of Leviathan
Übel

Psychotic
08-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I would like to sign up for this internet game.

Jessweeee♪
08-26-2007, 11:09 PM
hmm...looks interesting, but I don't think I could keep up XD

It'll be fun to observe, though n.n

Fonzie
08-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Will we get cards also?

I remember playing this game, so yes, I'll tag along.

Old Manus
08-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Sounds like an RP

I'm in

Miriel
08-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I always played it as Mafia, Detectives, Citizens, and Doctor.

But yeah, I looooove playing this game at sleepovers, retreats, camping outs, etc. And plus, I'm really good at it. I can usually fool everyone except Del Murder. He's always on to me whenever I'm Mafia.

Never played it online, but I'm game!

btw, here's (http://www.sitesled.com/members/mikeburnfire/mafiascum04.swf) a little flash guide to playing Mafia. It might be helpful to people who have never played it before.

Levian
08-26-2007, 11:36 PM

Please do elaborate, we could play it like that if it's more fun that way. :mog:

Will we get cards also?

You must be thinking of some other silly game. :D

Rengori
08-26-2007, 11:41 PM
I'll play, if I can keep up.

Evastio
08-26-2007, 11:42 PM
I'll stay out of this one.

Miriel
08-27-2007, 12:03 AM

Please do elaborate, we could play it like that if it's more fun that way. :mog:

Well detective/citizen is just different names for police/innocent. It just sounds better. :p

But having a Doctor in there, every round, the Doctor chooses one person to "save". If they happen to choose the same person as who the Mafia tried to kill, that person would stay alive. If it ends up being a random person that the Mafia DIDN'T choose to kill then it wouldn't really matter. The job of the Doctor is to try and predict who the Mafia would try to kill and then try and save that person.

The Doctor can also try and save themselves if they think that the Mafia is after them. Mafia, of course, would want to kill the Doctor off as soon as they can.

Levian
08-27-2007, 12:12 AM
the Doctor role sounds like fun, let's add that in the mix :D

and fine sure whatever, we can call them citizens and detectives, you rodent. :smash:

edit:

Lev, if you're looking for more roles, check out this flash from the same site that Miriel linked to. Got some interesting stuff there, that's for sure!

Yeah, I already saw that flash. So many freaky roles there, though. But I'm always open for suggestions if you see any roles you like. I'll check that flash out some more ;o

Psychotic
08-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Lev, if you're looking for more roles, check out this flash (http://mikeburnfire.sitesled.com/mscumB.swf) from the same site that Miriel linked to. Got some interesting stuff there, that's for sure!

Faris
08-27-2007, 12:34 AM
One tap mafia, two tap detective, three taps doctor.

Sign me up.

Shiny
08-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Haha, there's an option to be a bomb. Count me in.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Sounds found! Me want to join too!

Jessweeee♪
08-27-2007, 01:36 AM
bah...screw it...I'll use the library if I gotta, this looks too fun XD

I'm in :greenie:

Captain Maxx Power
08-27-2007, 01:41 AM
Haha, I love this game, though me and my friends would often change it to "Russian Mafia", and the Mafia would use "authentic" russian accents. Count me in. :cool:

Radje
08-27-2007, 01:49 AM
I'm up for it if I can keep up.

Del Murder
08-27-2007, 01:56 AM
I will play and I would just like to say that Miriel is Mafia. :shifty:

She always kills me first when she is Mafia because I can figure her out. :(

Resha
08-27-2007, 02:44 AM
I'ma play =)

DK
08-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Anything for Levian :monster:

JackNapier
08-27-2007, 05:17 AM
I'll join if there's still room.

Miriel
08-27-2007, 07:10 AM
I will play and I would just like to say that Miriel is Mafia. :shifty:

She always kills me first when she is Mafia because I can figure her out. :(

I don't kill you because you know, I killed you to throw off suspicion! A girlfriend wouldn't murder her boyfriend! It worked for one round at least. :p

Levian
08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Excellent! *signs you all up*

Old Manus
08-27-2007, 11:57 AM
We should play it in extreme difficulty mode, and whoever gets killed is permabanned. Just saying.

Radje
08-27-2007, 01:09 PM
We should play it in extreme difficulty mode, and whoever gets killed is permabanned. Just saying.

Or is only allowed to use Fluffy Puff.

Psychotic
08-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Clearly the thing to do is to murder/lynch Del and Miriel as quickly as possible. Chop chop, people!

demondude
08-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Sign me up!

Shauna
08-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Me plz. :D

Flying Mullet
08-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Sounds interesting. Sign me up! :chef:

fire_of_avalon
08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
foa says yes but will probably flake out eventually.

Levian
08-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Okay, how about each day lasts 24 hours and each night lasts 24 hours? That way people should have time enough to check in with the thread, conspire and vote etc. That means 1 person will be killed each (real) day.

McLovin'
08-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Sign me up scotty.

Levian
08-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Okay, 2 more seats available. But there's also room for replacements in case someone should drop out for any reason.

So far I'm thinking:
1 cop
1 doctor

I'll assign the roles randomly (by picking notes out of a hat) after our final 2 contestants have joined us.

Shiny
08-27-2007, 10:20 PM
1 cop? :(

Flying Mullet
08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
How will the "discussions" be controlled? Will deceased players and those not participating in the game be able to post? I'm assuming that this thread will be the "day" thread and the mafia folks will IM and PM amongst themselves at "night".

Levian
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
I've never played this game with cops! I wouldn't know how many is suitable ;o They do have a pretty revealing role, though so shouldn't be too many of them since they can search members every night and stuff. But yeah, let's discuss role setup while we wait for our last two contestants. 4 mafia sound good to you people?

edit:

Mullet: Dead members will not be allowed to add information to the game after they're dead, or make accusations etc. People not in the game shouldn't post much at all. And yes, the mafia will have to communicate through PM or IM.

Shiny
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
When will this game begin officially?

Levian
08-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Once we get the final two contestants, thinking of going to bed now, so hopefully in the morning we can start the first day and lynch our first person!

oddler
08-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh crap! Fit me in there! Quickly!

Miriel
08-27-2007, 10:53 PM
The cop should have a friend! Make it 2 cops and 15 citizens. Yes yes?

Also, each cop doesn't get to "investigate" a person seperately each night. They talk amongst themselves to figure out 1 person to investigate each night. So they have to agree on the person together.

When you're playing this in real life, cop discussions aren't discussions so much as it's hand gesturing and miming. While everyone else has their eyes closed, Cops start pointing at people, nodding or vigorously shaking their head, pointing at someone else, and so on and so forth until both cops are pointing at the same person and nodding their heads and that's the person whose identity gets revealed to them.

Actually, that's kind of exactly what Mafia does when trying to come to a decision on who to kill, too. :D

Also, having more than 1 cop gives Mafia a little help in discovering who the cops are. If there are two players constantly agreeing with each other... well. You know. Cops have to be very careful how they play their game and use their inside knowledge.

Psychotic
08-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Lev, don't tell people what roles you're having and how many of them there are, other than # mafia and # townsfolk. It'll ruin the SURPRISE! ;)

McLovin'
08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Yea you aren't supposed to tell us how many mafia there are. :p

There can be as many mafia as townsfolk even.

Levian
08-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Okay, I think I've got the roles down then.

Psy, I already told Miriel, so it wouldn't be fair to keep it from everyone else. It would be fun to have several types of roles, but since it's the first time we play Mafia here it's probably best to keep things simple. But I'm all for a second round of Mafia with additonal roles at a later moment!

*signs up oddler* one more spot left!

edit: Magus: oh ;o well, maybe I'll change the numbers then! OR MAYBE I WON'T! nobody knows!

oddler
08-27-2007, 11:03 PM
:aimkiss:

Jessweeee♪
08-27-2007, 11:46 PM
OH YAY! Hmm...people with the proper status can read other people's PMs, can't they O:

Levian
08-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Admins can, but they never do unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't think a game of Mafia is one of those instances ;) I guess we'll just have to trust Del Murder. :mog:

Radje
08-28-2007, 12:32 AM
So just so i'm certain on how this will play out. There will be 22 people in the game in total. Two cops, one doctor and an unspecified amount of normal citizens and Mafia?

The cops collaborate and decide upon who to investigate during the night. Whoever they choose to investigate has to reveal their true status to the cops?

The doctor may choose one person (including himself) to save during the night?

The mafia members vote during the night on who to kill?

Levian, the game moderator, informs those who are voted out that they have been killed off during the night and that person's allignment is revealed to everyone in the game?

Every 24 hours starting...whenever? the time changes from day to night. During the day participants are observed posting in ALL forums? Or just this thread? During night time are we allowed to post in other threads but this one? Same question applies for if we are killed off.

What happens if someone misses a day due to some arrangement offline?

At what point during the day do particpants come together to vote who they want lynched?

Thankyou

I Took the Red Pill
08-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah so if there's still a spot sign me up.

If there's not I will bitch you out on MSN when you show up there.

Captain Maxx Power
08-28-2007, 12:47 AM
I feel special about the fact that due to sheer alphabetical coincidence, I'm at the top of the list. :cool:

Levian
08-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Every 24 hours starting...whenever? the time changes from day to night. During the day participants are observed posting in ALL forums? Or just this thread? During night time are we allowed to post in other threads but this one? Same question applies for if we are killed off.

What happens if someone misses a day due to some arrangement offline?

At what point during the day do particpants come together to vote who they want lynched?

Thankyou

You seem to have it all correct, yes. Post around in the forum as you normally would, just don't continue participating in this thread after you're dead. You can post at night too, yes. The night is just there to give the mafia, cops and doctor some time to decide on their night actions. So if you're a citizen, you can just chill during the night.

If you miss a day, because of whatever, then you've missed your chance to vote that day. That's all there is to it. If you're a citizen anyway.

The participants have 24 hours to decide on the lynching. I'll do a poll, if it allows me to have 22 options, if not then we'll have to vote in-thread. More information on that in two hours, which is when the first day will begin.

Keith is our last contestant, and I will start drawing roles now. :) Expect a PM shortly. (2-3 hours)

Radje
08-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Good stuff :)

Only problem with having a poll is that some random members of the forums might vote just to stir things up.

Levian
08-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that's true, but I can put votes on public so we can see who voted for who and I'll also delete votes from filthy intruders. Shouldn't be too big of a problem.

edit: Okay, roles have been randomly assigned and the PM's are sent. Now I just need people who aren't citizens to accept their roles and we're ready to start Day 1.

Flying Mullet
08-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Awesome, the sun is just about to rise on the first day of the rest of our lives...

Psychotic
08-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Are we lynching someone today?

Old Manus
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
How do I hanged innocent?

Levian
08-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Are we lynching someone today?

Day 1 will start when everyone with special roles accepts their roles. I'd say today is very likely.

Anyone not in the game can still sign up as replacements. Replacements will take over the role of the ones they replace, obviously. :p Looks like we might need one for one of the players already.

Freya
08-28-2007, 05:13 PM
That sounds like fun guys but I don't get it, are the citizens just people that get killed off or do they get to vote on mafia or something.

DK
08-28-2007, 05:14 PM
citizens get killed at night and then vote on someone to lynch during the day time. Citizens have to vote to lynch someone they think is a mafia. I think :monster:

Flying Mullet
08-28-2007, 05:15 PM
That sounds like fun guys but I don't get it, are the citizens just people that get killed off or do they get to vote on mafia or something.
Check out the basic info provided in <a href="http://www.sitesled.com/members/mikeburnfire/mafiascum04.swf">this flash</a> that Miriel provided. It explains the basics of the game very well.

Resha
08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
So wait; let me clarify -- we discuss stuff in this thread? Or only via IM/PM? Or is the IM/PM privilege only for the Mafia froods?

Levian
08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah discuss stuff in thread :D that'll be the most fun. and if nobody talks then there's really nothing you can base your lynching vote on either. :p so yeah, discuss all you want. Basically use whatever you want to communicate with whoever you want.

Freya
08-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Anyone not in the game can still sign up as replacements. Replacements will take over the role of the ones they replace, obviously. :p Looks like we might need one for one of the players already.
I replace if needed, I think i've got the just of it now.

Check out the basic info provided in <a href="http://www.sitesled.com/members/mikeburnfire/mafiascum04.swf">this flash</a> that Miriel provided. It explains the basics of the game very well.
I'd love to honey, but you see my computer is just to craptacular for flash. So thank you I had never thought of that.:rolleyes2

Flying Mullet
08-28-2007, 05:27 PM
So who do we need to harass to read their PMs so we can get this show on the road?

Radje
08-28-2007, 06:24 PM
C'moooooooon.