PDA

View Full Version : Sequel

arcanedude34
08-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Which Final Fantasy is most deserving of a sequel? Don't go ahead and say your favorite for the sheer fact of saying your favorite, think about your answer and explain why.

(For this thread, pretend all FFVII sequels were never made)

Personally, I think IX deserves it. The ending was very open and Necron's dying lines made me think the game was intended to have a sequel. There are so many ways they could take the story, and most characters are kinda left hanging at the end, with no explanations for what became of them or anything.

Ashley Schovitz
08-28-2007, 02:36 AM
What I don't really think at all that iX could have a sequel and it is evident what happned to all the characters at the endVivi dies Zidane goes back to Garnet. Steiner and Beatrix decide to stay at Alexandria and guard the queen together. Amarant goes back for Lani, Frey lives again with her lover, and Eiko gets adopted by Regent Cid and Hilda while the Black Mage village is currently occupied with the B. Mages and the Genomes who are both on limited time to die. OOps I forgot about Quina, well she now works as Alexandria's finest chef.

PuPu
08-28-2007, 02:42 AM
Final Fantasy X-3. LOL.

Vermachtnis
08-28-2007, 02:57 AM
Final Fantasy V-2: The Adventures of Gilgamesh and Pals

Comet
08-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Final Fantasy VIII - 2

10 years after the events of FF VIII, the group decided to go their different ways. Faith pulls them all back together, to fight one last battle, to save the universe. :eek:

feioncastor
08-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Or how about Final Fantasy IV-2? You know, they could have Kain turn around when his helmet is off so that we could get an idea of what his face looks like.

Fynn
08-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I think VI deserves a sequel the most. There are so many characters and what later happens to them isn't all that clear...

It's not that he's my favourite character, but I believe Setzer would be a good candidate for the lead role, or at least the character you start out with...

jammi567
08-28-2007, 09:42 AM
A prequal to VII, and sequal to X, showing what happened to the Spirian world to make them go to VII's Gaia. As has been made canon by the senario writer for both games.

Firo Volondé
08-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Final Fantasy VIII - 2

10 years after the events of FF VIII, the group decided to go their different ways. Faith pulls them all back together, to fight one last battle, to save the universe. :eek:

Only problem is, it couldn't be pulled off without ending up with an utterly ridiculous plotline that would soil the reputation of a good game, like with happened with AC, DoC, and X-2. After all, Ultimecia is dead; you'd need to invent a new baddie, which Square :skull::skull::skull::skull:ed up spectacularly in X-2, or revive her, which we definitely don't want; one Sephiroth is bad enough.

As for the topic, I'd say none, because none of them really lend themselves to a sequel. As for a prequel, I'd like to see Galuf and co. sealing away ExDeath 30 years before the events of FFV, or Braska's pilgrimage ten years before X started.

arcanedude34
08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
What I don't really think at all that iX could have a sequel and it is evident what happned to all the characters at the endVivi dies Zidane goes back to Garnet. Steiner and Beatrix decide to stay at Alexandria and guard the queen together. Amarant goes back for Lani, Frey lives again with her lover, and Eiko gets adopted by Regent Cid and Hilda while the Black Mage village is currently occupied with the B. Mages and the Genomes who are both on limited time to die. OOps I forgot about Quina, well she now works as Alexandria's finest chef.

Okay, but you don't thnk that after all those amazing adventures, Zidane just sat down, became king and lived a very uninteresting lifestyle, do you? And just because Freya found her lover doesn't mean she can't go out to save the world. (And who knows? Fratley could come w/ her, or ditch her again.)

The possibilities are really limitless. I mean, for example, Garnet could dump Zidane because she got married in the time it took him to get to Alexandria. One of Vivi's sons could replace Vivi as the Black Mage. Eiko could get kidnapped (.....again).

All I'm saying is that the story of IX-2 could go so many ways. I'm sure that that is true for all other Final Fantasy games, but for some reason I think IX was more deserving of a sequel than X (even ignoring the fact that X-2 was a mockery to the Final Fantasy name)

cloud21zidane16
08-28-2007, 04:56 PM
im not sure what i would want a sequel too, maybe IX but only if it didnt ruin it

Bolivar
08-28-2007, 07:26 PM
As for the topic, I'd say none, because none of them really lend themselves to a sequel. As for a prequel, I'd like to see Galuf and co. sealing away ExDeath 30 years before the events of FFV, or Braska's pilgrimage ten years before X started.

I gotta agree, prequels would be more appropriate, and that of the Dawn Warriors would be on the top of my list. After you beat all the games, your characters are all the strongest warriors who ever lived, anything that could possibly rise up would be completely crushed, I thought "Advent Children" was good but that could never be put into a video game.

I think an awesome game would be for Sakaguchi to make the story of Garland, starting as a Knight of Cornelia, then what happened to make him break off. Then it can show what happened to him after the Light Warriors killed him, the process of becoming Chaos 2,000 years in the past and sending the 4 Elemental Fiends into the future.

AND THEN IT SHOWS WHAT HE DID AFTER FFI LEADING UP TO THE EVENTS OF FFIX!!!!

Wolf Kanno
08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm against sequels for the FF series and prequels only bother me when they mess with canon... So I'm seriously against any of the games receiving either type of treatment. Now if you were asking what games could have an interesting sequel I would say FFVIII.

The world is in ruin from the wars, SeeD has lost it's reputation and now it's raison d'tre, Esthar has opened up to the world again which could cause the other governments to feel uneasy and the idea that the two most powerful organizations in (Estar and SeeD) are both run by people related to each other will not sit well for the rest of the world if it is ever discovered. I don't think it would make a good game, but a movie like AC could tell a pretty good tale IMHO. There is enough political turmoil going on in the aftermath of VIII that we don't need to introduce a new sorcerous or deal with time travel. The characters themselves could take center stage instead.

The probelm is the fact that most of the games pretty much wrap up their own stories. There is little point in a sequel other than to tell what everyone is doing now. For the most part, all of the games could have good prequels if they are done right and don't mess with canon but lord knows fanboys will ruin that for everyone:rolleyes2

Lawr
08-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Final Fantasy Four because it's my favorite.
Oh, did I do something wrong?

silentenigma
08-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I think VI deserves a sequel the most. There are so many characters and what later happens to them isn't all that clear...

I think it's very clear that they all live happily ever after. Any other crises that would occur in their lifetime would ruin their original heroism.

Which pretty much means that no FF should ever have a sequel, unless it was originally intended to have one.

PeneloRatsbane
08-30-2007, 12:16 AM
IX is the only one that when it was finished i felt that there was enough closure.
VIII maybe but i dunno.
I think XII (i kno ikno revenant wings) but still there is stuff left to resolve. like Ashe actually becoming Queen, finding out what happened to all those refugees, and maybe Fran could finally score with balthier properly not just impliedly

Takara
08-30-2007, 02:05 AM
I'd be more interested in prequels than sequels, myself. What happened to Garland to make him become a traitor to Cornelia, what happened for the Lunarian's planet to blow up and for Zemus to rise to power as a Voldemort-like dark wizard, the Dawn Warrior's quest to seal Exdeath, the War of the Magi, the first Sorceress War and the fall of Sorceress Flatty McUgly (Adel)...

Flatty McUgly... *snickers*

cloud21zidane16
08-30-2007, 02:14 AM
I'd be more interested in prequels than sequels, myself. What happened to Garland to make him become a traitor to Cornelia, what happened for the Lunarian's planet to blow up and for Zemus to rise to power as a Voldemort-like dark wizard, the Dawn Warrior's quest to seal Exdeath, the War of the Magi, the first Sorceress War and the fall of Sorceress Flatty McUgly (Adel)...

not long until Crisis Core:D

Takara
08-30-2007, 03:13 AM

not long until Crisis Core:D

Yeah, but they overmilked the FFVII cow already. There are other interesting stories that could be told from the non-FFVII titles.

Hyperion4444
09-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Umm
ok.

Games that has sequel/same number:
-FFVII: AC/DoC/BC/CC/TLO
-FFX: FFX-2
-FFXI: CoP...
-FFXII: RW
-FFXIII

Games of remakes:
FFI
FFII
FFIII
FFIV

futur remake:
FFV
FFVI

leaving...

The remaining games:
FFVIII
FFIX

So... FFVIII would be a great prequal/same time. Playing as Laguna & Seifer.
''not sequal''
unless there's a remake.

Jessweeee♪
09-12-2007, 12:37 AM
FFVIII is probably the most likely candidate for a touch-up n.n

I don't think we'll be seeing a FFX-3, but I would LOVE one! Well, Tidus would have to be the main character...Rikku is kewl and all, but no more than a supporting role.

...Plus it would be interesting to see the gap from FFX to FFVII closed up...though that probably would do better in another form, doesn't sound like something they can work into a game o.o

Takara
09-12-2007, 02:33 AM
I'd still want to see a FFVIII prequel with Laguna and co. kicking Flatty McUgly's hairy sorceress butt.

gothic_fantasy
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Plus it would be interesting to see the gap from FFX to FFVII closed up

Why is everyone taking this FFX-FF7 "link" so seriously? It's like trying to figure out how Cid was reincarnated from FF2 to all the other games, how there were light warriors in FF1, 3 AND 5, how Zidane "somehow" knew a guy with spiky hair who carried a really huge sword (gasp, maybe IX is connected to VII too!!)
It was just a random line in the game people...come on......!!
This is worse than Aeris theory threads.

EDIT: Wait! There's more! :eek: When Cloud fell in the Lifestream he magically woke up in the world of FF Tactics, met Aeris again and then came back when he washed up in Mideel. And after all that Aeris, Squall and a whole lot of other characters amazingly warped worlds and ended up in Kingdom Hearts.
Care to explain the connection in that?
I rest my case...

TheSpoonyBard
09-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Why is everyone taking this FFX-FF7 "link" so seriously?
Because, like it or not, Kitase and Nojima have said the connection exists in the FFX and X-2 Ultimania books.

Rengori
09-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Why is everyone taking this FFX-FF7 "link" so seriously?
Because, like it or not, Kitase and Nojima have said the connection exists in the FFX and X-2 Ultimania books.

Maybe what's really going on is that Kitase and Nojima are just out of ideas and are hoping some forumgoer will come up with some sort of plot to use to milk the Final Fantasy cow even more.

Zora
09-18-2007, 12:43 AM

Why is everyone taking this FFX-FF7 "link" so seriously? It's like trying to figure out how Cid was reincarnated from FF2 to all the other games, how there were light warriors in FF1, 3 AND 5, how Zidane "somehow" knew a guy with spiky hair who carried a really huge sword (gasp, maybe IX is connected to VII too!!)

EDIT: Wait! There's more! :eek: When Cloud fell in the Lifestream he magically woke up in the world of FF Tactics, met Aeris again and then came back when he washed up in Mideel. And after all that Aeris, Squall and a whole lot of other characters amazingly warped worlds and ended up in Kingdom Hearts.
I rest my case...

I really don't understand why THIS link is taken seriously, but the line at the end of FFIISoR (Ricard, a DRAGOON) "Protect my son, Kain," isn't.

Anyways, a prequel for FFVI would be nice, explaining the War of the Magi, although it may not be necassary.

Forgot about FF. We need another Chrono sequel. Let us call it Chrono Break, because I like that. :D Ya I know, it was pratically cancelled.

You know what, since I am in the mood to not be serious, I am going to say: "Final Fantasy I sequel FTW"

Jessweeee♪
09-18-2007, 01:59 AM

I rest my case...

Goodness gracious! Don't get so worked up over the silly musings of a little girl :p

Brennan
09-18-2007, 02:04 AM
I think FFIX should have one

gothic_fantasy
09-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Maybe what's really going on is that Kitase and Nojima are just out of ideas and are hoping some forumgoer will come up with some sort of plot to use to milk the Final Fantasy cow even more.

I agree. If they start linking the games they'd have to do it for all the games that have dialogue "linking" them to another game in the series, e.g. "Protect my son, Kain", etc........

ff is da best
09-18-2007, 07:44 AM
id have to say ffVIII becoz it would be pretty cool if they done a sequal to it.

Takara
09-19-2007, 01:54 AM
I really don't understand why THIS link is taken seriously, but the line at the end of FFIISoR (Ricard, a DRAGOON) "Protect my son, Kain," isn't.

That's because that quote only appeared in the remake, not the original. It's just a reference for old school gamers to catch, kinda like all the references in FFIX. Besides, FFII's world and FFIV's world are too different to be linked.

You know what type of game would be awesome? Something that would be a mix of FF and Grand Theft Auto. You could run over annoying FF characters with your chocobo and/or airship.