PDA

View Full Version : Spells Learned by Demonstration.

feioncastor
08-28-2007, 03:56 AM
I was playing today, and I had a Time Mage and a Squire on the field (along with my other guys). The Squire had Time Magic as a secondary and was a mastered Time Mage. My Time Mage was not, and really only had a few basic spells.

Well, I had my Squire cast "Haste 2" on a few of my guys, one of them being my Time Mage, who didn't know Haste 2 yet. When the spell successfully hit my Time Mage, a box popped up that asked if I wanted to learn "Haste 2", I selected "Yes", and BOOM, my Time Mage learned Haste 2. I then tried using Slow 2 on my Time Mage, and sure enough, I learned it in the same manner.

I've played this game from beginning to end probably more than 20 times, and this is seriously the first time I've ever seen this. Does anyone else know of this? And are there any other spells to be learned this way (other than the obvious Ultima and Zodiac)? I check the descriptions of Haste 2 and Slow 2, looking for a symbol or something to indicate that the spell can be learned by someone having is cast on them, but I found no in-game evidence for it.

Yeah, it was weird.

Gilthanes
08-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Interesting.. never heard of that. I'll have to try that out

Flying Mullet
08-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of this either, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to test it out as well sometime...

Tempest
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
After hearing this, I had to try it out right away. xD So, I went to my best game were all of the characters had all their jobs mastered, deleted one of them and bought a recruit to try this on. Got them to a time mage and turned my magic user, with Time Mage mastered, to a Squire and used Slow 2 on the Time Mage and it didn't work. So, I took the Setimesin, however it's spelled, off my time mage and tried again with Haste 2. It worked. The games asked me if I wanted to learn the spell. Amazing. I played this game so much and thought I knew everything about it. :)

BG-57
08-29-2007, 02:41 AM
That's nice to know, although I'd have to start a new game to take advantage of it. I wonder what other spells this applies to.

dodhungry
08-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Ive never seen this happen whenever I used to play religiously. Then again never took advantage of a time mage all that often either. That would save a lot of time and job points when trying to get all jobs mastered on characters. LE GASP! :eek:

feioncastor
09-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow, I was sure that BG would know about this!

Roogle
09-01-2007, 10:50 PM
There are several spells that can be learned in this manner. The most notable are Ultima and Zodiac since they can only be learned through this method.

The Battle Mechanics Guide at GameFAQs lists all of the spells that can be learned like this.

BG-57
09-02-2007, 03:42 AM
I guess I skipped that section. I did know about the way you can learn almost any ability from life crystals provided the inheritor has a compatable job. Even skills like Dark Sword.