PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Hall of Torture!

Hambone
08-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Today was my first day of 8th grade (last year of middle school where I live). I think it's safe to say that this last year of middle school will be a huge pain in the ass! :) All of the classrooms are incredibly dull, the teachers are mildly insane, and I hardly know anyone in my classes. I'm not taking the best electives either. My schedule is as follows:

1st Period: Math (Terrific. I'm horrible at math AND it's early in the morning. I'm still half asleep!)
2nd Period: Language Arts (Reasonable, I guess)
3rd Period: Orchestra (Yay!!!)
4th Period: Science (My teacher is horribly uptight)
5th Period: Office Aide (WTF? Sit around and hear random conversation between the staff? No smurfing way.)
6th Period: Advisory
7th Period: LUNCH! (This year, we get 25 minutes to eat instead of 30. :()
8th Period: U.S. History (I'm already tired because it's near the end of the day, now I have to listen to lectures of America's past and be responsible for keeping track of it?! Zzzzzzzzzz)
9th Period: BCIS (Business Computer Information Systems. We get high school credit for it. Figured I might as well take it now instead of blowing off until I'm a senior.)

My school now starts 10 minutes earlier everyday, we have less time for lunch, I have to help around the staff, and to top it all off, a teacher died a week ago! Fun fun fun!

Topic: What was your 8th grade year like?
Topic 2: Do you have advice for me, one of the youngest regulars of EoFF, about this year???

Markus. D
08-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Try to relate to the teachers :3

also, Await the classes you enjoy over the others (or loathe-less), it might make time go a little slower... but ... *shrug*.

Oh! and wow, 25 minutes of lunch? how long are your school days :3?

I Took the Red Pill
08-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah, 25 minutes of lunch sounds pretty brutal.

Miriel
08-28-2007, 07:13 AM
8th grade was a fantastic year for me.

My Middle School had a 8th grade trip planned a week long trip to the East Coast every year and some of my best memories from my adolescent years came from that trip. I got stuck in an elevator twice! Super fun.

The only advice I have is to just enjoy it all as much as you can. Everything gets more complicated in High School.

For the Office Aide period, try your best to get chummy with the people in the office. Most of the time, sffice aides get little perks here and there just from being friends with the people who work in the office.

StarlightAngel
08-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Well, I had the awesomest 8th grade teacher (who will, ironically, be teaching at my highschool next year. Huh) ever, soo... it was pretty cool for me =X

But seriously, how long are your school days? It seems a little... packed.

Lawr
08-28-2007, 07:25 AM
8th grade sucked and will always suck for everyone else, but theres always that one teacher who isn't dull and old. But I really can't give you advice since we don't/haven't gone to the same schools.

Ashi
08-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Your classes sound a lot more interesting than mine were when I was in the 8th grade. How many minutes does each class go for? Or does it vary?

Dirufan
08-28-2007, 08:09 AM
What ever you do, do NOT get an ego. If you already have one, cease and desist, unless your fists can back up what you say. Because if you go into high school like that, you're gonna lose friends REAL fast.

Rengori
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I remember when I was your age. That was a whole 2 years ago.

1. My 8th grade year was okay, 2 good teachers (both hot) and 2 make me want to ring their neck teachers.

2. I don't know about your school, but in mine you could change classes with a simple trip to the office.

Zeldy
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't even know what 8th grade would be in English schooling.

Having a short lunch sucks yes, but it'll mean you go home earlier. Our lunch was shortened last year from an hour to 50 minutes, and it just meant we got home that little bit earlier. My school changed so much last year, not only was there 5 lessons instead of the usual 6 to get used to, but they introduced a new timetable thing were there is "week 1" and "week 2" having seperate timetables. It was a right bugger, as they were often similar but not identical, and I kept going to the wrong rooms, and at a school like mine it isnt good to be at the opposite end of the school as you should be as it's a pretty long walk from the North block to the Humanaties (I know, it means nothing to you!) but it's a good 5 minutes. DAMN SOCIOLOGY and it not having an allocated Sociology block! :mad2:

I have to go back there again on the 5th. woe :(

Edit: Hambone is 13, right? so that'd make it year 9? man, that year blows. It's the year, here, that you do your key stage 3 SATs and teachers make you stressed about how important they are, when they really arnt.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Advice? Enjoy these days while you can

Fonzie
08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I love school. :love:

8th grade was pretty fun, but the next year will be hell for you depending what type of person you are.

Have fun while it lasts.

Hambone
08-28-2007, 10:45 PM
For those of you who asked, my school day lasts from 8:20-3:30 (7 hours, 10 minutes) I think my classes are about 45-50 minutes long.

I miss 7th grade. It's nice being top dog though.

Dirufan
08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Wait until you're a senior in high school like me. XD

Hambone
08-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Wait until you're a senior in high school like me. XD

And my brother.

blackmage_nuke
08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
I love year 8, not too easy, not too hard. But your schedule is weird, i mean office aide? what are they training the students at your school to grow up to become errands monkeys or something?

If they want you to be there with the staff then get up and say something about it.

Freya
08-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah good job on the taking the high school class. My school days are separated into 8 classes 4 a day. And as a senior if you have most of your credits they provide early release for us. So I did that as well and now I don't have a 4th hour class, I just get out of school early. I dunno if your high school you'll be going to next year does this but you'll be very lucky if they did.

If you don't like office aide, aren't there more exciting electives you could take?

Jessweeee♪
08-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Enjoy it while you can. You won't see all of the same people in High School, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Eighth grade was kinda nice...definitely better than seventh. We once had to evacuate the building three times in one day! I had this insane history teacher. Everyone was doing that stupid pen drumming thing, and he just went crazy and shouted STOP POUNDING ON THE BLESSED DESKS! (he gestured by pounding on my friend's desk >.>)

First period I had Career Investigations...it was awful...my two best friends were in that class, so that was kinda cool, but the teacher really sucked. He was a sucky teacher and a sucky person. I didn't learn a thing. We switched the N and M keys around a lot because no one could really type without looking at the keyboard. Another friend of mine had him last year and said that people were getting suspended for that XD

Aaanywayz, I went to a different high school than everyone else and I've lost a lot of the friends I made there :P

I kinda wish I'd had more fun with my last year with them all x.x

Caraliz
08-29-2007, 01:25 AM
8th grade was good, for the most part. My depression started then, but conversely enough, I was the most liked and happiest when I was with people at that time.

Advice? Do as much crazy stuff as possible, in highschool there are greater repercussions. ;)

One time I drew a "Q" on the wall and a teacher thought I was drawing a part of the male anatomy so I got ISS-lunch with the lunchladies. Now while this was absolutely dreadful because all they talked about was american idol, it was worth it.

Well, that's me being crazy. :(

Goldenboko
08-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Enjoy your last year of Middle School, there years when you can actually do nothing and get B's.

All I have to say is: Take it, hold it, love it.

Hambone
08-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Today was my third day. I got my locker, textbooks, and planner (all of which I need). I don't have any homework today; I finished it all in class. I have to say the worst thing about this year is the sleep deprivation I'm currently getting. I was so tired today, I had to take a 2-hour nap, and I'm STILL sleepy. To get a decent night's sleep, I'm going to have to go to bed at 9:00 in my puny twin-sized bed.

Rengori
08-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Sleep is overrated.

Miriel
08-30-2007, 02:37 AM
Dude, there should be absolutely no reason why you should be sleep deprived in middle school.

In college, after you have a baby, those are the times you're really gonna be sleep deprived. In freakin' middle school? Nope.

Also, if you have time in the day to take a 2 hour nap there is noooooooooooo possible reason why you should feel sleep deprived.

The perfect number of hours to sleep every night is 7 hours. So if you need to get up at 6AM, even if you go to sleep at 11PM it should be fine.

Fonzie
08-30-2007, 03:13 AM
I just got done with my Geometry homework. I'm also about to go to sleep.

Wee.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Dude, there should be absolutely no reason why you should be sleep deprived in middle school.

In college, after you have a baby, those are the times you're really gonna be sleep deprived. In freakin' middle school? Nope.

Also, if you have time in the day to take a 2 hour nap there is noooooooooooo possible reason why you should feel sleep deprived.

The perfect number of hours to sleep every night is 7 hours. So if you need to get up at 6AM, even if you go to sleep at 11PM it should be fine.

Skip the baby part, just writing your essays the night before they are due will do that to you. Also staying up to 2am on average and being a 10 hour sleeper on average does not help...

On topic: Grade 8 was alright, I do not remember much about it. We had a grade 8 trip and we went to Ottawa. Besides that, I cannot remember much about it, save for the fact some incidences and pranks pulled.

We did not get to pick our classes until grade 11. :(

Hambone
08-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Day 4.

I'm not nearly as tired as I was yesterday. I guess that nap yesterday really helped. I had about 40 minutes of homework. It all feels like 7th grade so far. Maybe this year won't be too bad after all, however the days still feel VERY slow.

JackNapier
08-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Grade 9 was a lot tougher than grade 8 was for me. I can also relate to the short lunches. Up until grade 9 I only had 25 minutes as well.

The Unknown Guru
08-31-2007, 01:10 AM
First: Ha ha! I'm older than you!

Second: 8 periods!? What the hell kinda school is that!?

Third: My 8th grade year sucked. It was dull, dull, dull, and I couldn't get a date if my life depended on it. I was virtually invisible. Once, a sub teacher asked if there were any questions. I raised my hand. "Nobody? Okay, moving on." I kept trying for a couple minutes, but after she ignored my "*cough*overhere!*cough*"s, I just gave up.

How your school year is going to turn out really depends on your teachers, what they teach, and your social rank.

Madame Adequate
08-31-2007, 03:34 AM

I was always sleep deprived in middle school, far more than I am now in college. :monster: