PDA

View Full Version : Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon

Necronopticous
08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I have never played a Harvest Moon game before Rune Factory. I can only hope they were never this good, because then I'd feel really bummed about missing out on them previously.

Rune Factory is a fantastic game. I got it this morning and have been playing nonstop ever since. I recommend it if you have not already played it.

Nifleheim7
08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
I have HM a wonderful life special edition for the PS2,but i got bored real quick because of the extreme loading times and the general slow feel of the game.
But i have to admit that Rune Factory looks much more appealing.I like the idea of RPG elements and fantasy settings and also that is on DS.
I will surely buy it,but it's not on my priorities.

JKTrix
08-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Rune Factory is more of a spin-off of Harvest Moon. It still has the farming aspects of HM and probably the 'romance' (haven't gotten too far myself), but the core harvest moon games never had any combat.

HM series has its fans, but I could never get into them. Combat makes this game a little more interesting to me.

Bolivar
08-28-2007, 07:00 PM
I've been a fan of Harvest Moon and I haven't gotten a new game for my DS in a while. I'm really looking into this although I'm not sure if it's worth the purchase right now.

I guess my main question for now would be, is this a full HM game with fantasy aspects or does it sacrifice some of the farming aspects in order to present a more mixed game?

Necronopticous
08-28-2007, 11:56 PM
God. I can't put it down.

I've never played another Harvest Moon game, so I can't say if it makes any sacrifices in the harvesting portion of the game, however, I can say that it is an incredibly deep system, so I doubt there were any cuts made.

Roto13
08-29-2007, 05:20 AM
There would almost have to be cuts made if there's time for fighting in amongst the watering.

StarlightAngel
08-29-2007, 06:31 AM
I love Harvest Moon, and my friend who also loves HM is now obsessed with playing Rune Factory =X

Good god, there's soooo many games I need to get! GU 3, ToA, and now it looks like I'll have to pick up Rune Factory as well >>;

Any glitches/errors so far? The HM games, as great as they were, were notorious for glitches.

Necronopticous
08-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Any glitches/errors so far? The HM games, as great as they were, were notorious for glitches.The whole game is pretty clunky, honestly, but lovably so.

There is so much in the game, it's easy to forgive the things that are not as smooth as they probably could be.

Deborah
08-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Ooh I love it so far! Very fun! Wee farming. Although I didn't play any HM either. But I'm enjoying this a lot! :D But I only have a few hours in.

Dragonsoul
10-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm interested in this game now! I was going through all the Rpg's released so far in the Fall rpg season in the Usa and seeing if I would rent them, here is the list I've made so far...

Rented/Owned:
Persona 3(Good game)
Blue Dragon(I didn't like this game)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Game of the Year Edition(Great game, owned but decided not to beat it, it'll take 150-200 hours)
Eternal Sonata(Great game! I'm renting it now and am buying it!)

To Rent:
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Jeanne D'Arc
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

To Possibly Rent:
Heroes of Mana
Luminous Arc
Dragoneer's Aria
Wild Arms 5
.hack//G.U. Vol.3//Redemption
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters

Skip:
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics
Two Worlds
Guild Wars: Eye of the North
Growlanser: Heritage of War
Digimon World: Data Squad
Digimon World: Dawn
Digimon World: Dusk
Chibi-Robo!: Park Patrol

As you can see, Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon is on my top three games so far from the Usa Fall 2007 rpg release season that I want to rent, along with Jeanne D'Arc and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. It helps that Neverland from Lufia games developed Rune Factory. I liked the two trailers I found of the game.

What's the length of this game? :)

EDIT:
A sequel was announced!
RPGamer > Rune Factory 2 (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/harvest/runefactory2/runefactory2.html)
RuneFactory 2 (http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/ds/runefactory2/index.html)
It's also being developed by the same company, Neverland(from the Lufia games) and it's set in the same world! :)

Ouch!
10-03-2007, 04:12 AM
I'm interested in this game now! I was going through all the Rpg's released so far in the Fall rpg season in the Usa and seeing if I would rent them, here is the list I've made so far...

Rented/Owned:
Persona 3(Good game)
Blue Dragon(I didn't like this game)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Game of the Year Edition(Great game, owned but decided not to beat it, it'll take 150-200 hours)
Eternal Sonata(Great game! I'm renting it now and am buying it!)

To Rent:
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Jeanne D'Arc
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

To Possibly Rent:
Heroes of Mana
Luminous Arc
Dragoneer's Aria
Wild Arms 5
.hack//G.U. Vol.3//Redemption
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters

Skip:
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics
Two Worlds
Guild Wars: Eye of the North
Growlanser: Heritage of War
Digimon World: Data Squad
Digimon World: Dawn
Digimon World: Dusk
Chibi-Robo!: Park Patrol

As you can see, Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon is on my top three games so far from the Usa Fall 2007 rpg release season that I want to rent, along with Jeanne D'Arc and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. It helps that Neverland from Lufia games developed Rune Factory. I liked the two trailers I found of the game.

What's the length of this game? :)

EDIT:
A sequel was announced!
RPGamer > Rune Factory 2 (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/harvest/runefactory2/runefactory2.html)
RuneFactory 2 (http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/ds/runefactory2/index.html)
It's also being developed by the same company, Neverland(from the Lufia games) and it's set in the same world! :)
Really man, are you gonna post a list of RPGs you're looking at in every thread you post in?

I really liked the Harvest Moon for the original PlayStation, but I lost it. The whole idea of fighting monsters in a HM game really puts me off, though.

Markus. D
10-03-2007, 08:08 AM
The length is limitless as it is a simulator-ish game.

Dragonsoul
10-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Ok I'll post less rpg's in the posts. There's a lot of Harvest Moon games, I wonder if I should play some of those older ones. What do you think of Neverland making the Rune Factory games right now instead of making a new Lufia game? I wonder if the Lufia series is finished now. Anyways, what do you think of the opening movie for the game? You can find it here...
[-- Natsume --] (http://www.natsume.com)

Xander
10-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm sure I thought of this one day, that they needed fighting in Harvest Moon, or was it farming and houses in Ragnarok Online, anyway SOME combination, so this looks pretty interesting. The graphics look lovely. I saw some mixed reviews (mainly some people saying it was too hack n slash) but I think I might pick it up!

What's the difficulty like by the way?

Misfit
10-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm glad that alot of people like this game, I loved the girly Harvest Moon that Eric got me to play. :3 I saw this and was like zomg must have~ didn't get it though! Guess I'll have to pick this up now. :D

Necronopticous
10-26-2007, 04:12 PM
What's the difficulty like by the way?It's pretty easy for anyone to pick up and play. The bosses can be a little bit tough, but that's easily taken care of with a little extra preparation. I would say the difficulty is just right.

Dragonsoul
10-29-2007, 10:28 PM
I will rent this game when I get a DS in a few weeks. The opening movie is great! :D

Momiji
10-30-2007, 06:42 PM
What exactly do you do? I've never played a Harvest Moon game, but I saw Rune Factory in the store yesterday and thought it looked interesting.

StarlightAngel
10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Basically, you have a little farm and you can grow stuff there for money. After you plow up a good part of your farm, the Mayor deems you worthy to go explore one of the caves, which has monsters in it. However, the caves also provide a stable environment for plants that you could only normally grow in a certain season. You can also, with the right tool, befriend the monsters so that they'll help you harvest crops or fight other monsters in the caves.

I just got to the Toros cave~ It's quite fun.

Xander
10-31-2007, 05:39 PM
I ordered it, I saw more awesome reviews and couldn't wait :D

The Lich
11-01-2007, 07:38 AM
I been thinking about picking it up but after hearing this I may just have to. I've played harvest moon on gba, harvest moon gb, harvest moon n 64 and harvest moon back to nature ps1 (sucks). Honestly, the fighting aspect appeals to me. I've always wonder why they haven't ,i mean if they can make princess maker series have monsters in it why can't a farming sim.