PDA

View Full Version : "Let's create some Engrish!" game

Sefie1999AD
08-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Alright, let's see if we can come up with some decent ideas here. The idea of this game is that we post some funny sounding Engrish tlansrations of some character names, towns, equipment, items, spells etc in FF games. Here are some examples: Mega Frale, Tifa Rockhalt, Culaga/Coolaga. One "translation" per post is enough. I'll start:

Ballet Warrace

ReloadPsi
08-28-2007, 02:13 PM
You want us all to go on a dabaru posuto furenjii or something? One mistranslation per post? Bah.

"Ballet" (probably intended to be bullet: baretto) appears in FF7's debug room by the way.

Anyway.

"Chiefer Rockhard" (Tifa Lockhart)

Fynn
08-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Exdeath!

Oh, wait... That one's real...

Brizzala!

Bolivar
08-28-2007, 07:28 PM
This is racist.

ReloadPsi
08-29-2007, 01:15 PM
This is racist.

No, it's not. English-speakers mistranslate stuff from Japanese in this manner all the time: TV-Nihon never realised on time that Magiranger's "Vancuria" should have been "Vamculia" or that "Branken" should have been "Franken". Hey, did I mention English speakers made mistakes like this? Get over it.

The Unknown Guru
08-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Reloudo-Sai is right, Boribaa. Japanese-to-English translations are often just as bad as English-to-Japanese.

Hehe. Boribaa.

Bolivar
08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
This is racist.

No, it's not. English-speakers mistranslate stuff from Japanese in this manner all the time: TV-Nihon never realised on time that Magiranger's "Vancuria" should have been "Vamculia" or that "Branken" should have been "Franken". Hey, did I mention English speakers made mistakes like this? Get over it.

I was just kidding. You can all go back to your humiliation of the Asian people now.

Psychotic
08-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Let's stay on topic here people.

Laddy
08-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Crude Strike (Cloud Strife)
Rykoo (Rikku)
Kabe (Kain)

ReloadPsi
09-23-2007, 04:00 PM
It's worth noting incidentally that Rikku's Japanese name was "Ryukku", which I think might roughly transliterate back as "Luke". Whoops!

BG-57
10-04-2007, 12:22 AM
There's hardly need to make new ones, since there are so many extant mistranslations already. Case in point: Tolone (Throne) and Kelvina (Cherubim) in Xenogears.

I did once speculate about the original intent of this name:

Lydia (Rydia)