PDA

View Full Version : Suikoden V or Dragon Quest VIII:JotCK ?

Darkja
08-29-2007, 12:13 AM
I have yet to play either of these and was wondering which one I should trade in my copy of FFXII for.. I'm a big fan of Suikoden but heard V wasn't that great. I've never played a Dragon Quest before and heard JotCK was really long and fun..
/

Rostum
08-29-2007, 12:16 AM
To me they both are great games. I've yet to play through all of DQVIII though, but I have nearly got through all of Suikoden V.

Then again, I absolutely loved playing through FFXII, so I don't know why you'd want to trade it. :p

Markus. D
08-29-2007, 12:31 AM
I loved Suikoden V~

DQVIII was kinda tedious for me to play... you might like it though n-n~

Darkja
08-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Then again, I absolutely loved playing through FFXII, so I don't know why you'd want to trade it. :p

My first playthrough took me a long time from when I bought it, because I got insanely bored at around lv25 and put it away for about two months.. afterwards I finished the game and did everything extra.. And I won't be doing all that again. (:
/

Cookie
08-29-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm playing through Suikoden V now. It's awesome.

Raistlin
08-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Suikoden V is great game. Much improved from SIV.

Madame Adequate
08-29-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm a big fan of Suikoden but heard V wasn't that great.

You've heard wrong. It's a sublimely good game. Get it.

Wolf Kanno
08-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Good lord, I don't know who told you Suikoden V was bad but it's obvious this individual hates you. V was a wonderful game and was very reminiscent of Suikoden II. I can't believe how deep and detailed this game was considering how far apart it was released from Suikoden IV.

I've only played a demo of DQVIII but I am rather familiar with it's earlier entries (am I the only person who has beaten DQVII?) and though I feel it's good, it's still a DQ game. Which means if you have played one of them, you have played all of them. It might be an excellent introduction to the series for you though, but as one Suikoden fan to another; I feel it's your duty to pick up Suikoden V ;)

Tasura
08-29-2007, 07:29 PM
I've yet to play Suikoden V, but I have DQVIII, if Suikoden V is better than IV as it's supposed to be, and if IV is the worst of the series, then I'd suggest getting Suikoden V, since you have never played a DQ game, you might not like the style, where as you've played Suikoden before.

demondude
08-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Suikoden v definetly.

I Took the Red Pill
08-29-2007, 07:45 PM
DQVIII is divine, you will not be disappointed.

Dragonsoul
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Both games are very popular, rent both then make a decision. Both are traditional Japanese console rpg's. I wanna rent them! :)

Ichimonji
08-30-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm a huge Suikoden fan, and Suikoden V is one of the best in the series, however, Dragon Quest VIII's exploration beats all. It's a close call, but if you're a Suikoden fan go for that one. That way you'll know what to expect. If you ever get the chance though, make sure you give DQVIII a playthrough.

Gyna
08-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Suikoden 5 is a very nice game.

However, DQ8 is just awesome. It's a game full of character - the dialogs are awesome, graphics are beautiful, gameplay is tons of fun. Definitely one of the best games for the PS2.

JKTrix
08-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Definitely as a Suikoden fan, get the Suikoden game. If you were neutral I'd cast my vote in the Dragon Quest pile.

Bolivar
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
haven't palyed Suikoden V but I wanna speak up for DQVIII. It's one of the best RPG's I've played in a long time, the storyline is probably longer than most games you'll play, its characters are unique and interesting, and there's a huge amount of crap to do on the side.

The world design in this game is almost unprecedented. The music is breathtaking and the graphics are unbelievable. Like really, unbelievable. I'm the biggest hater of cell-shaded games but I think it's one of the most graphically impressive console games I've owned. Check it out.

Dragonsoul
08-30-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm frequently hearing a lot of Dragon Quest VIII. I've beaten Dragon Quest 1 for Nes only, played a few minutes of 2-6 though(Nes, Snes ones). How similar is Dragon Quest VIII to something like Blue Dragon or Kingdom Hearts 2? Or is it more similar to something like Final Fantasy X or Lost Odyssey? :D

I always here great things about Suikoden's story! I remember when Suikoden 1 and Wild Arms 1 were out, I want to play them! :D

Madame Adequate
08-31-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm frequently hearing a lot of Dragon Quest VIII. I've beaten Dragon Quest 1 for Nes only, played a few minutes of 2-6 though(Nes, Snes ones). How similar is Dragon Quest VIII to something like Blue Dragon or Kingdom Hearts 2? Or is it more similar to something like Final Fantasy X or Lost Odyssey? :D

Please, please, please do not compare a game as good as FFX with something as dire as the DQ series. :(

Dragonsoul
08-31-2007, 03:20 AM
I'm asking if Dragon Quest VIII is similar to some games. I never played DQ VIII yet. You buy me it? :D

Proxy
08-31-2007, 05:36 AM
They're all boring. Please, spare yourself the torture and the money.
Buy Tetris. It's more entertaining and more intense.

Bolivar
08-31-2007, 06:19 PM

Please, please, please do not compare a game as good as FFX with something as dire as the DQ series. :(

DQVIII is great, chill out.

Nifleheim7
08-31-2007, 06:58 PM
They are both great games but DQVIII has (imo) better graphics and music than Suikoden V.

Madame Adequate
08-31-2007, 11:11 PM

Not if DQ I-VII are any indication, and seeing as I didn't hear anyone complaining about how the entire DQ system was massively overhauled in VIII, I'm confident in thinking they are an indication.

Karellen
09-01-2007, 06:41 AM
There were quite a few changes to DQVIII in comparison to its direct predecessor actually. Battles are now only fought in first person when inputting commands and have reverted to the more Final Fantasy style of presentation (3rd person) for dealing and receiving blows. The menu with all its various functions that had been redundant for quite some time has been ditched in favor for one more like FF as well and the world map has been replaced with 1:1 environments. It still maintains rather simplistic battle mechanics and a plot which is more charming then anything else but it's certainly a step in the right direction for a series that had begun to stagnate over the years.

Raebus
09-01-2007, 11:21 AM
They are both great games but DQVIII has (imo) better graphics and music than Suikoden V.

I'm still waiting for more to be added to that sentence, a game can't rely on graphics and music to make it great, it's got to have hear and whilst DQVIII has alot of heart, it's story is basic without a plot great plot twist. On the other hand, we've got suikoden V which has a pretty emotional story that keeps you gripped with a plot twist here and there.

Nifleheim7
09-01-2007, 01:09 PM

I'm still waiting for more to be added to that sentence, a game can't rely on graphics and music to make it great, it's got to have hear and whilst DQVIII has alot of heart, it's story is basic without a plot great plot twist. On the other hand, we've got suikoden V which has a pretty emotional story that keeps you gripped with a plot twist here and there.

I haven't finished any of the games,i have played some 30-40 hours of DQVIII and only 3-4 hours of Suikoden V.Therefore i can't judge their storyline but only the visual style of the games (which i agree that it's not the most important aspect of any game).In these areas i found DQVIII superior.

Bolivar
09-03-2007, 09:30 PM

Not if DQ I-VII are any indication, and seeing as I didn't hear anyone complaining about how the entire DQ system was massively overhauled in VIII, I'm confident in thinking they are an indication.

lol, while they may be indications, basing your entire opinion off previous games, when VIII was a huge leap forward in terms of presentation seems like a pretty unreliable thing to do.

Also, the fact that you need to hear complaining in order to find out about change is pretty weird, too.

So, once again:

And Raebus, i think your whole judgment of the game is a little inaccurate - have you played all of DQVIII? Or are you just assuming that there aren't any plot twists because you haven't encountered any in the time you've played it?

Plot twists are great but there's no logical reason to assume that something can't be a great story if it doesn't have them. Alot of game scenarios abuse plot twists and end up becoming cheesy, so the exact opposite of your statement is true in certain cases.

To clear up a few things, there are in fact a few plot twists in DQVIII.

Bunny
09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Suikoden V is like free cookies.

Dragon Quest VIII is like free cancer.

YOU DECIDE

Raebus
09-04-2007, 02:45 PM

lol, while they may be indications, basing your entire opinion off previous games, when VIII was a huge leap forward in terms of presentation seems like a pretty unreliable thing to do.

Also, the fact that you need to hear complaining in order to find out about change is pretty weird, too.

So, once again:

And Raebus, i think your whole judgment of the game is a little inaccurate - have you played all of DQVIII? Or are you just assuming that there aren't any plot twists because you haven't encountered any in the time you've played it?

Plot twists are great but there's no logical reason to assume that something can't be a great story if it doesn't have them. Alot of game scenarios abuse plot twists and end up becoming cheesy, so the exact opposite of your statement is true in certain cases.

Plot twists are supposed to blow me away, not me make me murmur "oh". I've beaten this game, the final boss floating in the sky was tough and not to mention huge, and the preparation before the final battle. =[

The story lacked emotion for me, a slightly outdated RPG with modern graphics.

Bolivar
09-04-2007, 07:16 PM

So, once again:

Plot twists are supposed to blow me away, not me make me murmur "oh". I've beaten this game, the final boss floating in the sky was tough and not to mention huge, and the preparation before the final battle. =[

The story lacked emotion for me, a slightly outdated RPG with modern graphics.

Oh, ok... I can understand that!

There was absolutely no reason to use such a humongous pyramid for this post. ~ Leeza

Madame Adequate
09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Suikoden V is like free cookies.

Dragon Quest VIII is like free cancer.

YOU DECIDE

I knew I kept you around for a reason.