PDA

View Full Version : GoldenEye on the Nintendo 64! Oh my god!

ReloadPsi
08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
If you don't get the title then poo to you.

I dug out the N64 last week and have been playing GoldenEye non-stop. Started a new game and I've already managed to unlock 007 mode and every single cheat (except 2x RC-P90; Caverns on 00 Agent in under 9:30... I have enough trouble completing the level at all damn it!)

Before I played the game I was never into first person shooters, but now... well, I still don't play loads of them because I can't control them on a console and my PC's getting so old that carbon dating isn't particularly accurate on it anymore.

I also never really got to play the multiplayer in depth on this game; the only time I ever did was against people who really sucked (running around with 1 bullet left in the clip and not thinking to press B to reload, and failing to realise basic stuff like holding A and pressing Z to cycle backwards through weapons)

But seriously, isn't this just one of the best damn games ever made? And to think it's based off a movie too, which is normally auto-fail for video games!

demondude
08-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah I like goldeneye as well great game. :)

James Leopold
08-31-2007, 02:20 PM
One of the best games ever!

I'm gutted that I can't play it anymore.

Levian
08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Huh, I wonder where my N64 is. I forget I even had that machine.

Lovin' Goldeneye <3

Psychotic
08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
I knew who had made this thread as soon as I saw the title.

The only flaws with this game are the graphics and the lack of voice acting for the main characters, neither of which are particularly huge flaws anyway.

The gameplay is just pure, liquid video game perfection. Unf unf UNF. And the music! It's a bit cheesy, but my god it works. Love it.

Breine
08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
GoldenEye is a fantastic game. Nothing less. I've spent countless hours playing this game in multi-player mode.. I've almost literally "wasted" a large chunk of my childhood playing this game.

Levian
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
What I didn't like about Goldeneye is like when you're in the level menu, and you want to go all the way back, you have to press previous, like two or three times, but the aim doesn't stay above previous when you click it once, it moves back to the center, so if you click previous twice fast, it brings you to some random level. CURSE U GOLDENAYE.

Darkja
08-31-2007, 03:37 PM
GoldenEye is a fantastic game. Nothing less. I've spent countless hours playing this game in multi-player mode.. I've almost literally "wasted" a large chunk of my childhood playing this game.

ditto.
I miss my favorite multiplayer map.. it was a close quarters inside a building with a long hallway and two floors, and some refinery plant in the back. Forget the name..
Damn I miss those firefights.. :/
and grenade launchers. hehe.
/

JKTrix
08-31-2007, 04:10 PM
I feel this is probably one of those games better left in one's memory. Or at least in my case, left in my memory as one of the remarkable games of its time. I played GoldenEye for the first time 2 or 3 years ago, and I just couldn't play it. The controls don't quite stand the test of time.

Perhaps in the Rare chance it comes out for the Virtual Console with 2-stick support, I'd be able to play it.

demondude
08-31-2007, 04:18 PM
I liked killing that girl with the stupid hair in the elavator. :quina:

Formalhaut
08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Ive only played Mario Kart 64 on the "borrowed" Nintendo 64, and that wasa great time.. sigh :cry:

Bolivar
08-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Oh...my...lord....

Words cannot explain the impact this game had on the gaming world and the lives of me and all my friends when it came out. And I didn't even HAVE a Nintendo 64.

We played this game all the time. It wasn't even a matter of question as to whether or not this would come up at some point during birthday parties, etc.

When we weren't playing this game we were talking about it. When we weren't talking about it we were dreaming about it. We all had our multiplayer stories or awesome things we did in the single player mission. I know this all must sound really corny 10 years later but it had that much of an impact. The only game that had more of an impact was...gasp! Final Fantasy VII. Those 2 games dominated my school year in 4th grade.

I actually believe it has stood the test of time. I got a call from my brother a few months back saying "dude, i actually brought Goldeneye back out and that :skull::skull::skull::skull: was fun as hell!" I was surprised when I played it that the multiplayer was still fun after all these years.

So if I have one thing to say about this game it would be this:

:skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: HALO! YOUR GAME IS MEDIOCRE AT BEST AND THE BEST CONSOLE FPS WAS MADE IN 1997, BIATCH!!!

The Unknown Guru
08-31-2007, 08:24 PM
GoldenEye is an incredible game. It gives me reason to bust out my old N64 once in a while.

However, if you want a game that's somewhat similar but like 3 times better, go buy Perfect Dark. It is the best FPS I have ever played, hands-down.

Cookie
08-31-2007, 08:35 PM
I still remember waking up that christmas morning and my dad had already completed it. I fucking love that game.

KentaRawr!
08-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Goldeneye is pretty cool. I always try to beat the missions with stealth. >_>

Markus. D
08-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Great, so now throw Golden Eye away.

And conjure up the courage to play the much more sense making Perfect Dark with Voluptuous Joanna Dark.

Dreddz
08-31-2007, 10:04 PM
I played the multiplayer with friends recently but never owned the game ( understandable as I never owned an N64 ). Its was fun but the game has aged badly, Im not heavy into my FPS's but I think the Timesplitter series is much more fun in multiplayer ( there made by the same company no? ).

My type of FPS's are along the lines of Deus Ex, Half Life and the Shock series. Well actually those lot are the only FPS's I like....

ReloadPsi
08-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Frankly I could never get into Perfect Dark. Once I've gotten that least cheat on Caverns I'm probably gonna just play through it all from scratch yet again.

Then I'm gonna fire up my PC and play Doom3.

Madame Adequate
08-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Perfect Dark is even better than Goldeneye, but they are both retardedly good games and Goldeneye does have a certain position of importance which PD can't claim to.

Montoya
08-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Good times.
I never personally owned the game but I borrowed that game for a ridiculous amount of time and loved it. It is definitely a good game but it hasn't aged well. I recently played it months ago and I was surprised at how crappy the graphics were. I know that graphics aren't necessarily important, but they were still better in my memories.

Araciel
08-31-2007, 11:42 PM
i remember many a night staying up playing 4 player golden gun while listening to KoRn back in the day with my friends...ohman what fun....the amounts of coca cola we drank were astronomical!

Yamaneko
08-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Good in context, but unplayable by today's standards.

Hyperion4444
09-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I though I lost mine... (Maybe I just misplaced it.) so I bought another one in just case.

Fatal Impurity
09-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Brilliant for the time but I played it recently and couldn't stomach the now awful gameplay...shame that game's as good as this have to age so badly.

Rostum
09-01-2007, 02:52 AM
GoldenEye was absolutely awesome. Perfect Dark was pretty cool, but didn't have a huge impact on me like GoldenEye did.

I remember taking my N64 around to friends places who don't really play video games, and we always ended up spending all day/all night playing GoldenEye. It just hooked everyone!

fantasyjunkie
09-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Oh good grief! That game ROCKED!!!! All those 4 player matches we played. :)

Maxico
09-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Timesplitters (2 in particular) pretty much beats it in every way. It's made by the same guys after they left rare and it's pretty much a GoldenEye/Perfect Dark sequel.

It's better and it doesn't look like ass by todays standards. Shame nobody brought it.

Those guys (Free Radical) are also making that Haze game which will probably have similar multiplayer.

demondude
09-01-2007, 12:06 PM
I played the multiplayer with friends recently but never owned the game ( understandable as I never owned an N64 ). Its was fun but the game has aged badly, Im not heavy into my FPS's but I think the Timesplitter series is much more fun in multiplayer ( there made by the same company no? ).

My type of FPS's are along the lines of Deus Ex, Half Life and the Shock series. Well actually those lot are the only FPS's I like....

Timesplitters was made by free radical wasn't it?

Maxico
09-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Timesplitters was made by free radical wasn't it?

Yes, Free Radical was started by a bunch of people who left Rare towards the end of Perfect Darks development. It's why Rare haven't made a good FPS (or game?) since Perfect Dark.

Levian
09-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Don't you just hate it when people die slowly and then there's someone behind them shooting at you, but you can't hit them because the dead guy keeps filling his body with your bullets? Yeah, I hate that >;o

I'm playing the game right now and I'm trying to take the first level on 00 agent, but I can't seem to be able to do it ;o I'm finished on Agent, and I'm up to Silo on Secret Agent.

Heath
09-03-2007, 09:36 AM
TimeSplitters 2, while an excellent game in its own right, doesn't compare to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark in my view. All fantastic games, I think I just got more enjoyment out of the two N64 games to be honest.

I think that both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were among the best games for the N64. I tend to prefer Goldeneye but sometimes I have an urge to play PD because I haven't touched the game for years and would love to give it another playthrough.

Lawr
09-03-2007, 09:54 AM
:love: I loved playing this with my siblings and my brother's friend for like hours on the weekends!

JKTrix
09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Good in context, but unplayable by today's standards.

Said it better than I did (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/109194-goldeneye-nintendo-64-oh-my-god.html#post2288954) and in fewer words.