PDA

View Full Version : Do you think death is scary?

Sakura
09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Or maybe why are so many people afraid of death

Proxy
09-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't. At all.
Death is a part of life, so I've accepted it, and have become very indifferent to it.

snacks
09-03-2007, 07:19 PM
uh ok, that's more creepy then this question.

i use to be really afraid of it, but as i'm getting older i guess it's just getting easier to accept we're put here for a reason and we'll go when we're needed.

Quindiana Jones
09-03-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm not scared of it. I look forward to it. It'll be nice to look back at my entire life.

But obviously I look forward to living my entire life before dying.

I Am Stoner
09-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't. At all.
Death is a part of life, so I've accepted it, and have become very indifferent to it.

The above says it all for me.

So yea im not affraid of death.

demondude
09-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Not really but I'm afraid of family and friends dying.

JackNapier
09-03-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm more concerned with being completely forgotten.

Sakura
09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I am afraid of death personally, maybe i'm just too young to not be afraid of it :p

Faris
09-03-2007, 07:28 PM
When I really zone into it, I get a panic attack.

TyphoonThaReapa
09-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Hell yeah. I'm petrified of death. But I refuse to run from what I fear like a coward. I made my mind up about that a long time ago. Everyone's going to die sooner or later. It might be a frighting thing to die, but no use in running from it like a coward. So, I'll gladly look death in the eyes when it come my way. But like the guy above me said. There's a fate much worse than death. And that's being forgotten. That's like never existing in the first place...

Miriel
09-03-2007, 07:31 PM
It's pretty terrifying. The most terrifying thing ever probably. If I hated life and stuff it wouldn't be so bad but I'm insanely in love with life so the thought of losing life, not getting another one, etc, it doesn't make me happy.

People say immortality would suck and stuff, but I really wouldn't mind just living and living and living. I can't imagine myself getting tired of it.

LunarWeaver
09-03-2007, 07:36 PM
It probably depends on what a person believes happens afterwards. To me, I believe in the whole non-existence thing. As in you're here and then you're not just not anymore in any form. So, really, I won't know I was ever alive in the first place, making death kind of a relief in many ways.

Eeww, I'm morbid :sad:.

Resha
09-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I mean -- no. I don't want to die, but if I do, then I guess I'll be too dead to care.

edczxcvbnm
09-03-2007, 07:56 PM
It's pretty terrifying. The most terrifying thing ever probably. If I hated life and stuff it wouldn't be so bad but I'm insanely in love with life so the thought of losing life, not getting another one, etc, it doesn't make me happy.

People say immortality would suck and stuff, but I really wouldn't mind just living and living and living. I can't imagine myself getting tired of it.

Cookie
09-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Not really but I'm afraid of family and friends dying.

Agreed.

BardTard
09-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Nah. What's gonna happen? My body will rot underground and I won't be aware of anything that's going on, it'll all just be a big black BLANK. Like I'm not even there, capable of thinking. Sounds relaxing really.

I don't believe in Heaven, Hell, or ghosts.

Sakura
09-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Ewww, having bacteria knaw my flesh until i'm bone doesn't sound very relaxing. The way you suggest it is like "Being dead is like being in a comma, very relaxing since i'm unaware of anything going on" :{

JackNapier
09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
The way you suggest it is like "Being dead is like being in a comma, very relaxing since i'm unaware of anything going on" :{

Sounds pretty peaceful to me.

Araciel
09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
being, in, a, comma, would, suck.

i don't like the idea of dying. it'll most likely hurt, and then i have no idea what happens to me after. i mean, i know i'll be dead but do i have a soul? if i do what happens to it? who knows...i tend not to think about my own mortality, i just live.

Breine
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
People are generally scared of death because it's something unknown. The unknown is always scary... Y'know, no one lives to tell the tale.

Araciel
09-03-2007, 08:46 PM
well...i'm gonna play devil's advocate, but shouldn't all religious people say 'no i'm not afraid' then?

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-03-2007, 08:54 PM
People are generally scared of death because it's something unknown. The unknown is always scary... Y'know, no one lives to tell the tale.

Agreed.

well...i'm gonna play devil's advocate, but shouldn't all religious people say 'no i'm not afraid' then?

Some people are scared of the judgement that they would receive when they die.

Anyways, I would say I am a bit of both. I am scared to die and I do not want to die, yet. I have no qualms with Death and see it as a new beginning. All things decay in this universe, but from that all things are born. Endless is the changing tides of the universe. So I think that when I die I will take upon a new life, somewhere in this world. On occasion I take the time and try to imagine what it would like to not be me, to live a different life, sometimes that involves me thinking what it would be like to be a squirrel. It is quite mind boggling really, thinking like a squirrel and seeing everything from that perspective.

Sakura
09-03-2007, 09:21 PM
That's exactly why I think death is scary, i'm afraid of the unknown xP

Plus people are like SIN AND YOU GO TO HELL which doesn't help me and my fear of death very much o.<

Rocket Edge
09-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm not afraid of death, but i'm afraid of growing old.

Madame Adequate
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Death doesn't scare me as a state because, well, I'll be dead. What am I going to do, I won't exist. But as a process there is some... trepidition, and it is quite the opposite of my ideal state of being.

I intend to live for a very, very long time.

Old Manus
09-03-2007, 09:36 PM
I think it's more the fear of causing others grief than death itself.

Polaris
09-03-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm more affraid to know which will be the reason of my death...

qwertysaur
09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
What happens after death is part of the unknown, so people fear it becoause they don't know exactally what will happen to them.

I am a little afraid of it, but I am also curious about what will happen.

Iceglow
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Death is scary because it represents the unknown. Whilst some religious people theorize they will go to heaven/paradise/valhalla/reincarnation whatever afterlife they believe in, no one is completely certain with proof that there is anything after death. We can all say that we're not scared of death but when it comes down to it we strive for life with every breath we take, to say you're not afraid of the unknown or that you're unafraid of the idea of death is easily done. To actually know you're dying or are about to die and to not be scared, is something different completely.

I'd like to think I'm not scared of death, that I'll come to face it with courage and yet I have no misgivings about it. I have considered giving up on this life to points where I know for sure that to continue down certain paths I have walked would definitely have killed me, but every time I have done so my natural desire above all things to survive and to live alongside my fear of death and the unknown has made me turn back and live the life I have been given. I think all of you who claim you're not afraid to die need to be put in the position where you are minutes away from your own death whether it is at your own or someone else's hands and then you can comment on this yet whatever you say I'll know that those who come and comment on the fear of death, regardless of what they say will be those who looked in to that abyss that is the prospect of dying and were afraid, those who were not scared would be dead.

The people we often consider to have died a heroes death, unafraid even to the last such as many of the soldiers who have died fighting in wars (especially since world war 2 where they are often hailed as heroes for saving squad mates or civilians) and been given such accolades were not alive afterwards to tell us the truth of it. In my opinion they were scared of death as any normal person is but something drove them to say "hey I'm scared, I'm also pretty sure this will kill me and it probably will hurt a hell of a lot but if I don't do this, if I don't face this down and get the job done...how many more lives will be lost?" That passion to see many more people survive that sacrifice can be made by someone scared of the end of the unknown to say they died bravely, unafraid in a sense belittles their actions. Alas this is just my opinion and some of you might disagree with me but then thats your opinion on things.

Jojee
09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I feel like a lot of people who say "death is natural, I've accepted it and am not scared" only say that because they are young and have plenty of years left to live before they have to seriously consider it :p

I am scared of death. xD

Edit: WOW Iceglow, tl;dr :p

bipper
09-03-2007, 10:01 PM
I feel like a lot of people who say "death is natural, I've accepted it and am not scared" only say that because they are young and have plenty of years left to live before they have to seriously consider it :p

I am not scared of it, but I am on the opposite end of your theory. I am old and so close to the end, I just accept it. :mog: