PDA

View Full Version : It's weird, not wierd

LunarWeaver
09-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Ladies and the other gender that wears tuxedos, I am not a grammar or spelling nazi. I could care less as long as I understand what the person is saying. Just wanted to establish that. I'm not perfect in either area myself! :cat:

But, I have a friend who repeatedly spells the word weird "wierd", and then tells me I'm the one spelling it wrong. I wouldn't care if he didn't harp on me about it first. I've told him to look it up many times, but he stays firm in his belief he's spelling it right. I eventually gave up because I'm too lazy to fuss with it. I just tell him I'm spelling it wrong and that's how I like it and the matter was dropped.

Well, that silly business had me pondering! How far would you go to prove you're right? Or are you like me and give up pretty quickly to avoid the dreaded conflict?

demondude
09-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Ladies and the other gender that wears tuxedos, I am not a grammar or spelling nazi. I could care less as long as I understand what the person is saying. Just wanted to establish that. I'm not perfect in either area myself! :cat:

But, I have a friend who repeatedly spells the word weird "wierd", and then tells me I'm the one spelling it wrong. I wouldn't care if he didn't harp on me about it first. I've told him to look it up many times, but he stays firm in his belief he's spelling it right. I eventually gave up because I'm too lazy to fuss with it. I just tell him I'm spelling it wrong and that's how I like it and the matter was dropped.

Well, that silly business had me pondering! How far would you go to prove you're right? Or are you like me and give up pretty quickly to avoid the dreaded conflict?

You spelt Nazi like nazi that's wrong Nazi has a capital N

Mogi
09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I probably would've given up after getting frustrated.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I would have gotten out the dictionary and shoved it in his face. Yes, I am that pigheaded when I know I am right.

Araciel
09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
tell him to look it up in one of those joke dictionaries that doesn't have gullible in it...wait they don't make those?

Dirufan
09-03-2007, 08:34 PM

And "spelt" is not a word. :P

JackNapier
09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
I'd probably still be arguing with him. In fact, I've never known anyone that actually believes it's spelled 'wierd'.

Araciel
09-03-2007, 08:38 PM

also, technically using or not using a capital is not a spelling error.

09-03-2007, 08:39 PM

Actually it is a word.

Main Entry: 2spelt
Pronunciation: 'spelt
chiefly British past and past participle of SPELL

Araciel
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
i thought it was a type of wheat they used to make a special bread i ate in manitoba once...

EDIT - sweet...no one rags on me for spelling colour colour, so i suppose i shouldn't worry about spelled being 'spelt' that way.

09-03-2007, 08:43 PM
It is also that, there was two entries for it.

demondude
09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
I got owned. :'(

Though spelt is a word. :D

Breine
09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
I have many friends who do also spell weird as wierd. Pretty annoying.

Anyway, back on topic: I don't really know. Hmm, maybe if it's something that I definitely know I'll probably go all the way and be really irritating about it. Otherwise I mostly just don't care and let others get their way.

scrumpleberry
09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
I would whack them in the face with DICTIONARY JUSTICE!

aquatius
09-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Spelt is only spelt in referring to spelt mines.

Captain Maxx Power
09-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Weird just goes to show that "i before e, except after c" is a load of bull.

Tallulah
09-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I would have gotten out the dictionary and shoved it in his face. Yes, I am that pigheaded when I know I am right.

I did that with my dad over the word 'marvellous.' (in the English spelling) I was so sure it had two ls and my dad said it had only had one. I was so sure I made a monetary bet on it, which I never do.

Quite a pyrrhic victory, considering they are both right :( (1 'l' is the US spelling)

mooglebunni608
09-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I spell it wrong :.(

I get defensive and try to prove things when I know I'm right AND the argument means enough to me. =D

scrumpleberry
09-03-2007, 11:45 PM

That's why weird is so weird.

Værn
09-04-2007, 04:56 AM

That's why weird is so weird.
I was going to make that pun, my uncle mentioned that to me once >=(
Why "weird" is spelled "weird" is because the word "weird" is a weird word. That's all the reason you should need to convince somebody that "weird" is spelled "weird," the word "weird" is weird itself and thus immune to the weird rules of spelling.

(If he doesn't go for it, tell him to type "wierd" in MS Word and wait for the spell check to kick in.)

Radje
09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Now that I have the update of Firefox that checks every word I type with a CURSED American spell-checker, I have started getting confused about even the most simple of words even in day to day life. The differences between English and American English are so subtle it is often hard for my mind to pick out which is the right spelling at a glance. For instance is "Argument" "ArguEment" in British-English?

This is not helpful days before going into an honours course of Psychology.

P.S. "Honours" came out red-lined :mad:

41-Inches-Wide
09-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Seriously though, spelling is not the topic to be discussed.

I'm very vehement. I don't really like other people telling me things that I know are wrong, and that they continue to believe in.

I always think I'm the one to reform their erring ways.

Peegee
09-04-2007, 03:01 PM
% Lisa sits on the couch reading the magazine "Wired" when Homer comes in and
% takes it from her, thinking it is the magazine "Weird".

Homer: Heh-heh-heh. I love their hilarious send-ups of hit movies.
Lisa: Dad, it's not--
Homer:
"Gigabyte"! [laughs] They've done it again. Gigabyte. Wait, this isn't "Weird"! [looks at cover] Why, there's no magazine *called* "Weird", is there?
Lisa: [takes magazine] This is *"Wired"*. It's about computers and technology.
[Homer stares]

Quindiana Jones
09-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I would've got a dictionary myself and showed it to him. I then would've humiliated him by asking all the people around me how to spell weird. Show that bastard who's boss.

Old Manus
09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
*couldn't care less

BardTard
09-04-2007, 10:21 PM
For something like grammar or spelling, I don't really care. BUT I can't stand misuse of these things '

Like, when people say your stupid, or you're clothes, stuff like that, it gets on my nerves. I mean come on, we learned that in like, first grade!

First Grade Grammar Lesson Review:
You're = you are
Your = posessive. shows ownership.

Jessweeee♪
09-06-2007, 02:48 AM
For something like grammar or spelling, I don't really care. BUT I can't stand misuse of these things '

Like, when people say your stupid, or you're clothes, stuff like that, it gets on my nerves. I mean come on, we learned that in like, first grade!

First Grade Grammar Lesson Review:
You're = you are
Your = posessive. shows ownership.

Speaking of clothes and your/you're... (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/104616-im-hot-your-not.html)

cloud21zidane16
09-06-2007, 02:54 AM
i would of got the dictionairy and showed him the word weird, then ask him to look up wierd himself, and for a final point of proof id tell him to type wierd in google and youll see the first senence saying "Did you mean weird?" lol

Lawr
09-06-2007, 03:48 AM

oddler
09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
If I'm right and the person won't accept it, then it doesn't bother me much. I'll just let them wallow in ignorance. :)

Edit: Not saying that I won't try to explain things but sometimes people just don't want to trust when someone else is right.

Evastio
09-06-2007, 11:54 PM
I do what I have to to prove that I'm right.

Rostum
09-07-2007, 12:07 AM
English > American. Just so you guys know.

Lawr
09-07-2007, 12:36 AM
English (American=Google) > English American. Just so you guys know.

fix'd

Rostum
09-07-2007, 06:05 AM

fix'd

Sure, if you want a simplistic and dumb-downed language.

Rengori
09-07-2007, 06:37 AM

fix'd

That's Spanish.

Radje
09-07-2007, 10:48 AM

fix'd

That's Spanish.

American isn't really dumbed down, words aren't classed as intelligent once they pass a certain threshold of letters :p

Nothing wrong with an easy to grasp language. "I'm foreign and have somehow never seen one of those before... it is a place in which one would walk and the side of a road."- Can't go wrong from there.

Rostum
09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
American isn't really dumbed down, words aren't classed as intelligent once they pass a certain threshold of letters :p

Nothing wrong with an easy to grasp language. "I'm foreign and have somehow never seen one of those before... it is a place in which one would walk and the side of a road."- Can't go wrong from there.

Sorry, I don't understand gibberish that consists of Z's and no U's.