PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Galaxy

Mercen-X
09-04-2007, 05:18 PM
All right, so chances are any information that could be learned about this game on this site has already been learned, but just in case there are a few noobs out there that need an introduction, Rogue Galaxy (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/760/760024p1.html) is pretty good.

Here's my story: When I first heard the name Rogue Galaxy, I mistook it for a Star Wars story. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, I'm just not too fond of the games. Eventually, I saw it for rent at my local video-hut . . . but it was already rented. From then on, my interest kept growing because every time I came in, it was gone. Finally, about a month and a half later (bastards), it was there and I rented it for the first time.
At first, I couldn't really get used to the targeting system (turn-based games make instinct irrelevant), and I died within the first 30 seconds. After sitting through the opening movie a second time, I decided to be a little more cautious, running away and healing and then saving right after the battle.
I was so enthused, I ran over to Best Buy to pick up a Strategy Guide. I wish I could've bought the game as well, but the guide was way cheaper.
My favorite feature in the game is the Challenge battles that add special requirements for defeating your enemies in order to gain special items.
Right about now, I'm still obsessed with owning this game, in both uses of the term. As a writer, I find much of the story to be pretty inspiring. I no more than half-way through right now, but just looking through the strategy guide makes me eager to take on Seed. I just wish he would have been included in the Villain Tournament . . .

Ouch!
09-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Don't get too enthusiastic about the storyline. Toward the end of the game, the plot heads down the path of one huge cliche. The gameplay still makes the game fun to play, but the plot really becomes absolutely terrible. That's my only warning.

I've always loved Level 5 games because of their weapon-building systems. I don't think the changes for Rogue Galaxy were much of an improvement over the systems for the Dark Cloud games (which I much prefer), but I still enjoyed it. I even went as far as getting the best weapons for all the characters.

But yeah, the plot goes sour. Really sour.

Galvatron
09-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I've heard people who liked Skies of Arcadia would like this game as well, so I'm tempted to pick it up. I probably will after I finish all the games I'm playing now.

Dreddz
09-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I thought the story was lacking but there are so many redeeming features. The weapon customization is flawless and tops the weapon customization in Dark Chronicle. I didnt love the combat as much as FFXII but I thought it was well done. Battles in real time have never felt so much superior than the turn based crap of the past. I didnt just say that did I?

Dragonsoul
09-05-2007, 11:27 PM
The game is pretty good but me I have little time and money to play all the rpg's I want to so I have to be extremely limiting on the rpg's I play. I bought this game but stopped playing it because it wasn't legendary for me. For example, the only new rpg's this fall that I'll beat are Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect.

Rostum
09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
This comes out here this month. Going to get it. :)

Dragonsoul
09-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Yea it's a pretty good game.

Just wait until you get the character who is a fierce jungle lady. She does a special attack where she lights a flaming arrow and fires it, that's the best attack I've seen for the time I played that game!!

Also, one of the robots(the shorter wider one) has a special attack and in it he says: "Come on! Come on!". I don't remember what the attack was but that was a good special atack! :D

Mercen-X
09-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I like Jaster's.

KH-Cloudy
09-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Game was pretty nice. I played Rogue Galaxy for three straight days unlocking everything except for [spoilter]Insectrons[/spoiler]. Battle system was really nice, at first, I died within ten-twenty minutes of the game. Good thing was, I saved whenever I saw the save points.

Dragonsoul
09-08-2007, 07:43 AM
The voice of Jaster is the guy who was the older brother from the tv show Boy meet world, and he was the main character in the movie My date with the presidents daughter.

That guy is great! That movie is great and I own it! :)

Yea, the voice acting for Jaster is great!!!

Mercen-X
09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Ron Stoppable. Eric Mattews. I don't remember him having a date with the president's daughter . . . I thought that was Barry Watson.

Dragonsoul
09-10-2007, 09:03 PM
That movie, My date with the presidents daughter is a Disney comedy movie, aimed for people in high school or younger, it was pretty funny! :D

Mercen-X
09-11-2007, 06:43 PM
No, you're right. He was also Seifer Almasy in KH2.

What the hell kind of name is Will Friedle . . . I'd feel sorry for him if he hadn't already been in so many things I like to watch and play.

Anyway, yeah, the Insectron thing isn't difficult if you know anything about chess. It doesn't matter if a few of your dudes aren't up-to-snuff if you know where to put them.

Ouch!
09-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Also, one of the robots(the shorter wider one) has a special attack and in it he says: "Come on! Come on!". I don't remember what the attack was but that was a good special atack! :D
Simon isn't a robot.

LunarWeaver
09-11-2007, 07:17 PM
This was the first Level-5 game I didn't enjoy. I even sold it, and I rarely sell any of my games. The plot just went nowhere, but I sort of expected that. What I didn't expect was how easy every battle became. The characters' attacks that hit the entire screen would kill everybody for little AP. And then I was always stocked up with items that refilled AP entirely, not that I ever had to use them because save points were frequent enough to do it for me.The entire game was a matter of me using one ability over and over again and everybody dying. Sure, there would be the occassional "break through the shield with a charge" attack, but it was an easy matter to deal with. At least bosses were different and usually fun, but the hours and hours of battles in between could have been done by a monkey.

I did like the weapon system, and I'm glad they implemented some abilities to unlock as you went, whereas Dark Cloud didn't have them. Maybe I'm jaded and had just seen it done before. For whatever reason, this game didn't interest me, and I really, really wanted it to. I found everything about this game boring :sad: This is one of those games where I anticipate a sequel with hope (if there is one), but won't ever play this installment again.

Maybe_Tomorrow
09-12-2007, 03:03 AM
I kind of liked this game... I really liked the game play but the story was a little slow. I really didn't like the ending though.... I thought that it kinda sucked...

PuPu
09-12-2007, 03:19 AM
The gameplay and battle sytem was pretty good. I've heard some people say that the gameplay is better than FFXII or KHII. That's just what other people said though, I haven't really decided if they are right. One of the most interesting things about it was the Factory, which some people might have found annoying, but I thought it was a very unique way of synthesizing items.

Yeah, the plot is very cliche. But the gameplay makes up for it in my opinion.

I have managed to complete all Quarries and achieved #1 Hunter in the Galaxy. Still have to complete the other 100%'s and Ghost Ship: Extreme.

Goldenboko
09-12-2007, 03:23 AM
I used PuPu's file to beat the game :D

PuPu
09-12-2007, 03:38 AM
I used PuPu's file to beat the game :D
And you were near death for about five times during the final battle. Had I not told you how to beat it...

Yeah.

Slicksword45
09-12-2007, 03:38 AM
Though I have not played the game, The extent of my knolage of it comes from my friend, who says it has gay boss battles XD

Ouch!
09-12-2007, 04:03 AM
The gameplay and battle sytem was pretty good. I've heard some people say that the gameplay is better than FFXII or KHII. That's just what other people said though, I haven't really decided if they are right. One of the most interesting things about it was the Factory, which some people might have found annoying, but I thought it was a very unique way of synthesizing items.

Yeah, the plot is very cliche. But the gameplay makes up for it in my opinion.

I have managed to complete all Quarries and achieved #1 Hunter in the Galaxy. Still have to complete the other 100%'s and Ghost Ship: Extreme.
While I enjoyed the gameplay, I can't count it as anything particularly fantastic. The battle system wasn't exactly innovative in any sense of the word (aside from the addition of abilities--which, by the way, were ridiculously unbalanced); although the weapon upgrading system was modified from what it was in the Dark Cloud series, I wouldn't consider it something worth of particular mention. The hacking and slashing got redundant after a time, and there wasn't an awful lot of strategy involved in building up your characters, even for side quests, quarries, etc.

If I remember correctly, I completed the quarries, and achieved a handful of the other completion goals, but once I got the best weapons for all the characters and had little left to do in the way of weapon customization, I had little motivation to do anything else. I couldn't be assed to complete the Ghost Ship: Extreme. I don't remember what the rewards were, but I'm not exactly big on spending time going through enormous dungeons for rewards that don't provide any benefits other than bragging rights. I never did understand side quests for the best equipment and items in the game if there's nothing afterwards to use such items on.

Mercen-X
09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
What I didn't expect was how easy every battle became. The characters' attacks that hit the entire screen would kill everybody for little AP.True.
And then I was always stocked up with items that refilled AP entirely, not that I ever had to use them because save points were frequent enough to do it for me.My problem was not being able to sell the items that served no other purpose than being used on the abilities list and yet these same items are sold in shops. Although I'm pretty sure it was only the Ancient Scrolls, it still pissed me off.
The entire game was a matter of me using one ability over and over again and everybody dying. Sure, there would be the occassional "break through the shield with a charge" attack, but it was an easy matter to deal with. At least bosses were different and usually fun, but the hours and hours of battles in between could have been done by a monkey.I think that's the reason I liked the game. I hated Dragoon for this reason only because of the longass loading fade that preceded every battle.
One of the most interesting things about it was the Factory, which some people might have found annoying, but I thought it was a very unique way of synthesizing items.

Ditto.