PDA

View Full Version : Developers of Odin Sphere are making an Action/RPG for the Wii

Crossblades
09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
AllRPG - Latest News (http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=3398)

IGN, via Famitsu, has details on a new game coming from Vanillaware (the developers of Odin Sphere for the PS2 and Princess Crown for the Sega Saturn) and Marvelous Entertainment, titled Oboro Muramasa Youtouden.

The game is a 2D action RPG being directed by Jouji Kamitani and produced by Yoshifumi Hashimoto. The game has you play as Kisuke and Princess Momo in a journey to recover a powerful sword. Of course, enemies such as rival samurai, fairies, and giants will try to stop you.

The game boasts quick ninja action that anyone can get a hang of thanks to the Wiimote. The controls will feature a combination of both motion controls and button presses to allow players to participate in sword battles.

For those that really aren't into the whole motion control setup, there will be two modes of controls. One is for simple and speedy gameplay, while the other is for the "hardcore" gamers. It is unclear, but most likely one will use button presses and the other one motion controls.

For those that loved the graphics of Odin Sphere, they should feel right at home with this game. The graphics look to be at least as detailed as Vanillaware's PS2 title was, but it is done in a more Japanese style to match the setting.

Oboro Muramasa Youtouden is currently 30% complete, and while the final game is a long way off, I'm sure some are hoping for an eventual localization. Let's hope we see more of this title at the Tokyo Game Show this month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/obscan02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/obscan01.jpg

Necronopticous
09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I love this development team more than I love my own mother.

Marshall Banana
09-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Give me. <3

Oh, where's Velvet?

Nifleheim7
09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Wii needs this game as much as i need oxygen.

Raebus
09-05-2007, 09:33 PM
That game looks beautiful and so brilliant.

Ouch!
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Absolutely wicked!

Dragonsoul
09-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Good to find info on Wii rpg's, there aren't many so far.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Legendary!
Super Paper Mario - Great game
Pokemon Battle Revolution - Ok
Alien Syndrome - Ok

This fall on Nov 5th or 6th we'll get Fire Emblem, a tactical rpg, which is interesting. Next year we'll get Dragon Quest Swords and FF Crystal Chronicles 2. Now we know about this new game! :D

Raven Nox
09-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Yes! I was wondering when we'd hear about a new Vanillaware game.

Looks nice so far! I'll have to keep an eye on this game.

Rostum
09-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Another reason I must get a Wii. :D

KentaRawr!
09-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Alien Syndrome - Ok

This fall on Nov 5th or 6th we'll get Fire Emblem, a tactical rpg, which is interesting. Next year we'll get Dragon Quest Swords and FF Crystal Chronicles 2. Now we know about this new game! :D

Zelda isn't an RPG. >.>

Anyway, pretty awesome. I've heard awesome things about this development team.

Karellen
09-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Not really an Oden Sphere fan, although if they can take the graphics and combat system from that game and put it in environments that's actually interactive rather then a whole load of circular arenas, this could be quite impressive indeed.

Rostum
09-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Zelda isn't an RPG. >.>

<.<

Dreddz
09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Hopefully this game can be something more than a cartoony side scroller action RPG which this company always seems to churn out.

Captain Maxx Power
09-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I love this development team more than I love my own mother.

"Mom, I appreciate the whole giving birth, clothing, feeding and housing me for all those years. But in all seriousness, I love these group of guys who make computer games more"

Crossblades
09-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Alien Syndrome - Ok

You forgot about to add Marvel:Ultimate Alliance, Puzzle Quest, and Tales of Symphonia:Knight of Ratatosk to that list:)

JKTrix
09-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I love the word 'Oboro'. I named my PC Oboro.

As for the game, yay if it ever comes out here.

Necronopticous
09-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Hopefully this game can be something more than a cartoony side scroller action RPG which this company always seems to churn out.It's opinions like this that are taking videogames to all the wrong places and making developers scared to risk making worthwhile games.

Vanillaware is one of the few developers that is willing to risk their stature in the harsh world of game development to put out games that aren't run-of-the-mill, and that reglorify the dying conventions that birthed some of the greatest games ever created.

Your opinion sucks.

Dreddz
09-06-2007, 09:57 PM
It's opinions like this that are taking videogames to all the wrong places and making developers scared to risk making worthwhile games.

Vanillaware is one of the few developers that is willing to risk their stature in the harsh world of game development to put out games that aren't run-of-the-mill, and that reglorify the dying conventions that birthed some of the greatest games ever created.

Your opinion sucks.

Vannilaware are good at what they do so why must they limit there abilities to a genre that has no juice left. The side scrolling genre cant go in anymore interesting directions so it makes sense for developers to leave it behind, along with all the other dying conventions. I mean, how excited would you be to hear of someone making another turn based RPG with random encounters and other old RPG conventions. Not alot I'd assume.

The industry always needs to head somewhere, its people like Vannilaware that are just too bone idle to care and drag down the industry. Kick out the old and bring in the new.

Raebus
09-06-2007, 10:34 PM
They stick with the same game style because they're rather good at what they do? I know I'd prefer a quality game that's great because they've stuck with that same style for so long. I'd prefer that over a new style that's average and not as fun, simply because people wanted them to create things they have no experience in.

Karellen
09-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Vannilaware are good at what they do so why must they limit there abilities to a genre that has no juice left. The side scrolling genre cant go in anymore interesting directions so it makes sense for developers to leave it behind, along with all the other dying conventions.
Even if they didn't entirely succeed for various reasons, there where some pretty interesting concepts in Odin Sphere (fruit farming is awesome). If anything, it wasn't ENOUGH like a 2D side scroller, since the format for the environments was boring as all hell. Hopefully this new game will do more to make them a little more interactive by adding a few platforming elements.

I mean, how excited would you be to hear of someone making another turn based RPG with random encounters and other old RPG conventions. Not alot I'd assume.
The amount of hype in Japan each time a new Dragon Quest game comes out is unbelievable. I don't really care too much for the series myself but there is definitely still a market for ridiculously traditional JRPGs.

Dragonsoul
09-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm excited! :D