PDA

View Full Version : What did(n't) you find striking about...

Vivisteiner
09-05-2007, 09:17 PM
...Aeris' death?

What I found particularly striking was the suddenness of it. It seemed so out of place and so wrong. I thought that made the death particularly poignant. I seem to remember that this idea was discussed in an interview somewhere and it makes a change from the typical 'the guy dies because he has to die' type thing. I think that Aeris' death really highlights the reality of death, and that most people dont die when they're supposed to die. Do you agree?

Tallulah
09-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Well I knew it was coming up but I didn't know the exact method of her death. Personally I thought she would die peacefully, rather than get 15lbs of steel in her back courtesy of Sephiroth ;) I was kind of shocked, and a little bummed, as she was my main healer. :mad2:

Hazzard
09-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I totally agree with you, Vivisteiner.

The message hit through that not only do bad guys die, but even the person with good intentions, and a heart purely set on helping others can die...

I thought she was going to be a lead, alike the other females in the series.

Seal Evil
09-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Yes, I agree with you both, Vivisteiner & Hazzard. I was very surprised & sad... it brought a tear to my eye. I totally wasn't expecting it.

Even when Sephiroth was shown coming down from above with his sword, I thought maybe one of the others would save Aeris just in time. :(

cloud21zidane16
09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes, I agree with you both, Vivisteiner & Hazzard. I was very surprised & sad... it brought a tear to my eye. I totally wasn't expecting it.

Even when Sephiroth was shown coming down from above with his sword, I thought maybe one of the others would save Aeris just in time. :(

thats what i thought tooEven when the sword went through her i was shocked, and just looked at it and said, Wait!!!..... is....is that actually it for her:eek:shes gone just like that:eek: :mad:

Gennosuke
09-06-2007, 10:09 PM
It was a bold move, i was impressed that Square did it too a lead character, and it also boasts the best FF song, which is nice........

Xurts
09-06-2007, 10:47 PM
I loved it when she died. I hated her both in and out of battle, and was glad to see her killed. I was so pissed to have to drag her with me to the Temple of the Ancients and it was great that I wouldn't have to do something like that again. She was also really annoying outside of battle, so it was a good thing she died.

btw, it was Jenova that killed her, not Sephiroth.

Slothy
09-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I bought the game not long after it came out and was flipping through the Brady Games strategy guide one day, not expecting to find pictures of her being impaled in the FMV contained within the guide. Knowing exactly what happened before I got their kind of killed any emotional impact when I saw it for myself.

Jessweeee♪
09-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Uhhh, you might wanna put that first post in quote tags. When you hover over the thread title to preview it, you can see what's inside the spoiler tags, but not quote tags.

ANYWAYZ

I was spoiled so I was totally expecting it >.>

09-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Do we really need to spoiler-tag the entire thread? >.>

Anyway, the only thing that really struck me about is was that it happened to a girl. Aside from that detail I wasn't bothered. Even including that detail I wasn't affected to much. I'm sure my reaction would have been different if I'd played it when I was 12 and didn't know it was coming, though. Hey, I'm fair enough to admit that.

Ash Ketchum
09-07-2007, 06:08 AM
I thought they just killed her off because she was prostituting herself to Cloud and they can't risk having two real big whores in one game.

Lynx
09-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Do we really need to spoiler-tag the entire thread? >.>

i dont think her death can be considered a spoiler since when you log out of EoFF you see it.

anyways what got to me about her death is she seemed to be a very important character depending on how you look at the game you can say it was more about aries then cloud. you cant really say that with any of the other characters. also you see cloud quite upset which adds some realty to what its like when someone dies. after her death i went on to completely destroying jenova no going easy on her at all.

but if you think aries death was bad you should play FFIV if you havnt all ready.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
09-07-2007, 11:37 AM
it took me by surprise as i was young and niave and was like "yeh, the good guys always win". but i think that what cloud says afterwards really makes the moment. it almost makes it seem real

Bolivar
09-07-2007, 04:41 PM
we don't need spoiler tags

I bought the game not long after it came out and was flipping through the Brady Games strategy guide one day, not expecting to find pictures of her being impaled in the FMV contained within the guide. Knowing exactly what happened before I got their kind of killed any emotional impact when I saw it for myself.

Same here. unfortunately, when the game came out everyone and their mother knew that aeris got it at the end of disc 1. All shock that the scene could have had on me was gone, but when it happened I was still able to appreciate one of the most important moments in gaming history, not to sound too cliche.

I think what struck me most about it was how hard the developers went to make it have the qualities of a real death. She did not flash several times and dissappear, her bodied remained there lifeless. When Sephiroth began his whole "cliche-RPG-villain" speech, Cloud told him to shut up. At that moment it was like Square telling developers still stuck in the traditional mode of RPGs to "shut up."

The most emotionally moving part to me was when you watched her (with her eyes closed) sink to the bottom. It was really sad because you figure, like, that could be someone you love, and in the game that was what it was supposed to be.

The entire game is almost Sakaguchi's way of dealing with the death of his mother, and this scene IMO was his way of telling gamers to let go.

edit: and the jenova battle was great, too.

Seal Evil
09-07-2007, 07:42 PM
depending on how you look at the game you can say it was more about aries then cloud.
I very much agree with you. I mean, her face is shown in the very first scene & the very last (not including 200 years later).

I don't think her impact on planet was any less than Cloud's was.

Lynx
09-07-2007, 11:51 PM
depending on how you look at the game you can say it was more about aries then cloud.
I very much agree with you. I mean, her face is shown in the very first scene & the very last (not including 200 years later).

I don't think her impact on planet was any less than Cloud's was.

also think of it this way. cloud killed sephiroth but even if he killed or didnt kill him meteor was still on the move. but then mako and aries white materia came and saved the day. even in the end she was a main factor to saveing the world.

Aerisfanatic
09-08-2007, 12:48 AM
i know that ther are other character deaths in the series but i dont know if any of them revived. Ive seen squall being revived in that cutscene where rinoa hold him, and the deadness become flowers... but i dont knoe if he died.

and another thing if you watched last order you will know this... but i found it odd that cloud got impaled through the stomach and survived, especially since aeris has healing abilitys that could have kept her alive longer, than dieing instantly. Did anyone els find that weird?

and if aeris had to die thay could have saved it for the ending chapter, hell i would have felt easier if they did in the second disk, not killing her right away

Serapy
09-08-2007, 01:00 AM
When playing FF7 for the first time, I was sad that Aeris has died and was hoping for a resurrection of Aeris. Unfortunately, not what I expected.

MoRmEnGiL
09-23-2007, 12:47 AM
The most emotionally moving part to me was when you watched her (with her eyes closed) sink to the bottom. It was really sad because you figure, like, that could be someone you love, and in the game that was what it was supposed to be

THAT was the moment I almost burst into tears, because I realized that she was dead for real, no monty python "I got better" flop,that's the last we'll see of her and her smile. *Shivers*

I'm 26 now, and It's been about 10 years since I first played FFVII,and around 5 since I last played it, but that scene still haunts me, and always will...

PS: The following part really spoils a striking scene in FFIV. Do not read unless you've played it or do not care at all.

Was it in FFIV that the two little girls turned themselves to stone to save the rest of the party from being crushed by the walls? That was a pretty intense moment, me and a friend of mine that was around were like "What-on-earth-did-those-two-do-just-now!" It was quite a shock..

Bolivar
09-23-2007, 07:44 AM
The most emotionally moving part to me was when you watched her (with her eyes closed) sink to the bottom. It was really sad because you figure, like, that could be someone you love, and in the game that was what it was supposed to be

THAT was the moment I almost burst into tears, because I realized that she was dead for real, no monty python "I got better" flop,that's the last we'll see of her and her smile. *Shivers*

I'm 26 now, and It's been about 10 years since I first played FFVII,and around 5 since I last played it, but that scene still haunts me, and always will...

PS: The following part really spoils a striking scene in FFIV. Do not read unless you've played it or do not care at all.

Was it in FFIV that the two little girls turned themselves to stone to save the rest of the party from being crushed by the walls? That was a pretty intense moment, me and a friend of mine that was around were like "What-on-earth-did-those-two-do-just-now!" It was quite a shock..

yes and one of them was a boy.

Jimsour
09-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I skipped a few pages on my guide to see if there were any bosses coming up or what the second disk is like and read about her death and quickly closed to the book, spoilt it for me almost.

Was actually annoyed for a bit because I spent ages levelling her up before the temple of the ancients. What Cloud said after it though was er, touching to say the least? Was surprised that kind of depth could be made in a game it was the first thing like it so far that I'd ever played, coming off a diet of Grand theft auto (the old one!) and Soulblade.