PDA

View Full Version : Those with HDTV & game console hook up experience, help.

Necronopticous
09-06-2007, 06:33 PM
I just bought my first high-definition television last night and I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook up my game consoles. Basically, I need to know what cables I should get for the best picture for each of them. The consoles in question are:
<UL><LI>NES<LI><STRIKE>SNES</STRIKE> (S-video)<LI><STRIKE>Nintendo 64</STRIKE> (S-Video)<LI><STRIKE>Playstation 2</STRIKE> (Official component cable)<LI><STRIKE>GameCube</STRIKE> (S-video, official composite cable is discontinued and too expensive for me.)<LI>Xbox<LI>Xbox 360</UL>I'm not sure what each system supports, and I'm not sure that getting better cables, even if they do support them will make a difference. Please tell me what to get so I don't miss anything, or buy a superfluous cable on accident. Thanks!

Flying Mullet
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
As far as ease of use, the SNES, N64 and Gamecube all use the same connection cable. Also, I don't think there's a nicer video cable for the SNES and N64 other than the common connection plug they can share. And the NES is so basic a standard single video/audio cable to plug into the side of the NES is going to be the best.

I don't know what your best option is for the PS2 or XBox though.

edczxcvbnm
09-06-2007, 07:05 PM
PS2 and XBox have the option of Component Video Cables. I know monster made some at some point. Gamecube for a time supported Component Video Cables as well, although I think it might depend on your model and even then Nintendo was the only company that made them so they might be much harder to find if your console even supports it.

Necronopticous
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Will using component video cables make a difference that is visually noticeable? Also, I'm pretty sure PS2 and Xbox support S-video, don't they? Is that better than component? I really know nothing about this.

Also, I might as well add X360 to the list, since I'll be getting one soon.

Roto13
09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
If you get an Xbox 360 Elite, you'll be all set, with it's HDMI port. :P (Not that I can suggest getting an Xbox at all. Stupid failure rate. xP)

Rostum
09-07-2007, 12:12 AM
S-Video isn't that great, but I thought NES and SNES use that, though I could be wrong. And yeah, if your 360 has HDMI, you better hope you bought a HDTV that supports it. HDMI ftw!

Necronopticous
09-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Got my S-video cables for SNES, GC, and N64, and my official component cable for PS2 on the way. I guess component is the way to go for the Xbox, and HDMI for the 360. Thanks for the help, everyone. Anyone know of a decent non-RF solution for NES, and a place where I could purchase it? I don't want to use RF at all, it looks godawful.

Rostum
09-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Hmm I'm not sure, maybe you can check on eBay? I did a little checking awhile back, because I thought it'd be fun to see how much some old consoles were going for and in what condition, but I guess I wasn't looking in the right area for cables and stuff.

I'd be very interested to see how NES and SNES games would look on a HDTV. Haha, it'd be so awesome, I bet.

edczxcvbnm
09-07-2007, 05:35 PM
No RF solution for the NES? It has AV ports on the side. Just get normal AV cables and hook it up. It only has two ports because it only supports Mono sound...at least I think that is correct.

Gennosuke
09-07-2007, 09:22 PM
For the Xbox 360 get a HDMI cable, you can get them from amazon, for a good one it will cost about £20. The cable supports 720p,1080i,1080p.