PDA

View Full Version : .hack//G.U. Vol.3: Redemption

Dragonsoul
09-07-2007, 07:51 AM
I am planning to rent this game in a couple weeks, but should I rent the first two .hack//G.U. games first? Also, should I rent the .hack series first?

Blue Dragon comes today or tomorrow, Wild Arms 5 is next, then possibly the .hack//G.U. Vol.3: Redemption. I previously rented: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Shin Megamei Tensei: Persona 3, and Bioshock right after that, just now.

Behold the Void
09-07-2007, 09:16 AM
You want to play the first two games. .hack plots can be rather twisted, and you will be COMPLETELY lost starting on the 3rd game.

The first set of games isn't necessary, but you'll miss out on a lot if you've not been keeping up with the entire mythos. However, GU can stand on its own well enough, but you miss out on a lot without having seen .hack//roots, the prequel anime series.

edczxcvbnm
09-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I will be getting this game. Being the .hack nutcase that I am :D I like the games a lot and I can't wait to finish up this chapter of the series. I hope this is the last of it all though because I don't know if I could handle another 3 games XD

Behold the Void
09-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm sure eventually another arc will come out after GU, but it probably won't happen for several years.

edczxcvbnm
09-07-2007, 08:34 PM
I know...the series is too popular in Japan to pass up another multi-media fest in the series. There were rumors not that long ago that CC2 was developing a new series on the PS3 right now but it was also mentioned that it is possibly a non .hack game this time.

I really like the series but I also fear that a third visit will produce too much of a repeat story in the history that they have developed through the years and things like that. I am sure in a few years when another series hits I will be up for it :D

Khaotic
09-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Definitely going to get it, I've been waiting for quite awhile, sadly I can't get it until the 14th though, but oh well.

Dragonsoul
09-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Oh I didn't know that there was an anime series of .hack! Maybe I'll try to watch that.

edczxcvbnm
09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
.hack is a multi-media project. Anime, Games, Comics and Novels. All woven together to form a huge complex world and plot.

The original .hack idea was code named Project .hack while the whole of everything involving G.U. was under the name of .hack Conglomerate. They plan all of this stuff out well in advance so nothing really seems tacked on. It was a huge risk initially but it paid off big time.

Better yet...go to the dot hack wiki .hack//Wiki - .hack//Wiki - a Wikia wiki (http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/.hack/Wiki)

Behold the Void
09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
My sister and I both like the way the characters all fit in. For example, Sora from .hack//sign who was data-drained by Morgana and became Skeith is now Haseo. Fitting that he's the Terror of Death. He of course has no memories of the incident.

edczxcvbnm
09-07-2007, 09:40 PM
My sister and I both like the way the characters all fit in. For example, Sora from .hack//sign who was data-drained by Morgana and became Skeith is now Haseo. Fitting that he's the Terror of Death. He of course has no memories of the incident.

Lets back it up here. As I remember it and see it, Sora did not become Skieth. He merely became the wand that Skeith used. Skeith was always a part of the system.

Dragonsoul
09-07-2007, 09:40 PM
It was a huge risk initially but it paid off big time.

Cool! How popular is .hack in Usa, what about Japan? I'm curious about this series! I'll research that website though. Please reply :D

edczxcvbnm
09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
.hack is nothing more than a cult following in the USA unfortunately. They make enough money though because of the whole multiple games thing.

Dragonsoul
09-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Roughly how many units does everybody think .hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption will sell in it's first week of release? Maybe 30,000 units? I'll wait for Vgchartz.com to show it later.

edczxcvbnm
09-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I doubt it will be that high. I think Vol 1 didn't even make 20,000 in its first month. If it did it wasn't much higher than that.

Dragonsoul
09-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Okay. :D

By the way Blue Dragon only got 100,000 copies in it's first week and Bioshock only 400,000 copies, both numbers seem low. FF XII got 600,000 in it's first week.

Mercen-X
09-07-2007, 11:23 PM
You want to play the first two games. .hack plots can be rather twisted, and you will be COMPLETELY lost starting on the 3rd game.

The first set of games isn't necessary, but you'll miss out on a lot if you've not been keeping up with the entire mythos. However, GU can stand on its own well enough, but you miss out on a lot without having seen .hack//roots, the prequel anime series.

You'll want to play the other games eventually, but you don't need them to understand the third game as each installment is meant to be it's own game. However, you'll experience certain spoilers that are much more enjoyable to see unfold during the progression of all three games, but still, I remind you it's your choice to decide if you can live with that. And as for the earlier mythos, it's definitely an extra. If you want the full .hack experience though, you'd need to watch .hack//sign, play the first four .hack games, watch .hack//legends, read .hack//roots, play .hack//GU, and watch .hack//GU roots. Uhuh. Uhuh. Uhuh-uhuh-uhuh.:tongue:

StarlightAngel
09-08-2007, 01:45 AM
If you want the full .hack experience though, you'd need to watch .hack//sign, play the first four .hack games, watch .hack//legends, read .hack//roots, play .hack//GU, and watch .hack//GU roots. Uhuh. Uhuh. Uhuh-uhuh-uhuh.:tongue:

No. No no no no no no. Don't watch it. It's bad. Very very bad. Read the manga instead. That's actually what's supposed to have happened. The anime doesn't have Zefie, and goes on a different route than the manga =/

Anyway, the order that you want to go in as far as American releases of .hack go would be (Providing you want to get it in the chronological order):

.Hack//AI Buster (Vol. 2 makes references to Twilight, be warned.)
.Hack//SIGN
.Hack//Infection&etc (The first set of games)
.Hack//Another Birth (Follows the games, from BlackRose's POV)
.Hack//Legend of the Twilight
.Hack//Roots
.Hack//GU

...I think I got them all. Anyway, something like that. There's more .Hack media... in Japan. That's just what we have here in the US =/ You don't HAVE to get it all in that order, but that's it chronologically. You could probably get away with playing the three GU games in order, and then going back to see the rest of it, but yeah, some things will get spoiled.

For the record, as much as I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get Tales of the Abyss, I'm holding out to get GU3 before I save up for it >>; I need to manage my money better.

Behold the Void
09-08-2007, 06:29 AM

Lets back it up here. As I remember it and see it, Sora did not become Skieth. He merely became the wand that Skeith used. Skeith was always a part of the system.

Aha, so he was. My mistake. He was, however, somewhat controlled by Skeith during ZERO.