PDA

View Full Version : Saving Money

Mo-Nercy
09-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey guys,

I'm pants at keeping money in my bank account. When I quit McDonalds in April, I had about a grand saved up. Almost immediately after Maccas, I started working for a direct sales marketing company as a door-to-door salesman. From April to August, I was averaging about $300-400 a week (I can't say exactly because my pay was purely commission-based) and yet, in September, after quitting that job as well, I find myself with $6.33 in my bank account.

Anyway, I due to start a new job pretty soon. After that's underway, I'm going to open a second bank account and have one for spending and one for saving.

So do you think you guys are good at saving money?

Polaris
09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes :D but that comes in my family! ;) Mom always teach us that we shouldn't spend money if we don't need truly and it's better to spend money on necessary things than on holidays... that's why we don't have true holidays since I was 12 :(

Sergeant Hartman
09-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I always keep my money and forget I have it, but I do tend to splash out on special occasions :hat:

Faris
09-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Yep. I always limit myself and make sure that the amount of money in my account in never lower than $50. It has never been anywhere near that since I opened my account. :D

Nifleheim7
09-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I put money on my bank account only to order video games and related stuff.:D

Araciel
09-08-2007, 01:17 PM
hell fuck no. but i will be. i've not been motivated or forced to save money so i always spend it when i get it...in the coming year i need to horde every penny i can.

Captain Maxx Power
09-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Generally yes, primarily because I don't like shopping, I don't drink, I don't go out much and I currently don't pay rent. The only thing I spend cash on are games, which averages around about 15 quid a month, so like 180 per year. I also have a habit of picking up the "white label" foods when I go shopping, and my hygiene is borderline at best, so I save money there also.

Elite Lord Sigma
09-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Once I actually get a bank account, some of my earnings from my job (once I get one), say, about half, is going there. The rest will be used in other ways, such as buying games, and such.

cloud21zidane16
09-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I always save a lot of money in my account but also always have enough in my wallet so i can buy something or go out without having to think how much i should spend;)

XxSephirothxX
09-08-2007, 05:42 PM
When I know I really need to be, I am. Like as a kid, I was usually able to not spend money for months at a time to save up for something I wanted. But now, with student loans and money I've got saved up for various reasons, I spend more than I should without really worrying about it a lot. Eat out every so often, buy a game or a book, blah blah--it adds up pretty fast.

Vikeve
09-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I usualy save up the money I get from holidays and good grades to get something nice or save it up so I can buy a lot of things at a time. But my allowance I usualy spend immediatly.

Loony BoB
09-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Since I pay all the bills and whatnot, I have to budget carefully to avoid getting into trouble. I keep an Excel spreadsheet updated regularly and I know exactly how much money I have to play whenever I update it, which is generally 2-3 times a week.

Leeza
09-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Pretty tough to save money when you have to pay the mortgage, buy food, insurance, heat, phone, cable, clothing, etc., etc. I do try to save some though. :cat:

Nominus Experse
09-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Generally, yes, but I occasionally go on miniature spending sprees.

White_Dove15445
09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I usually get like 40$ per month from dad which I save up. This doesn't count the money I spend on cloths and silly things, so I can be counted as rich. :elk: not THAT rich, though. -.-

Shlup
09-08-2007, 09:35 PM
My husband and I are quite good at saving money. Neither of us worked for about a year and lived off our savings while we finished school. We still have a few thousand dollars left, and three weeks ago I started working as a middle school teacher so we'll be making more money than we ever have before. In about another year we're going to look into buying a house.

Rengori
09-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't have money to save up.

Resha
09-09-2007, 03:07 AM
Nope. I suck at it. I always mean well, you know, and plan to buy the most glorious things. But it runs out on dumb things like ice cream and movie tickets >_>

Proxy
09-09-2007, 03:55 AM
I can be if I choose too. This paycheck didn't count. I had lotsa stuff to buy.
But I usually like to spend the money I make...Mostly, but I do know when to draw the line, and stop spending.
I guess you could say I am.

Lynx
09-09-2007, 05:24 AM
id say i do a rather good job of saveing money. i have no job but over a grand ive got my share of bills to pay and yet i could go for awhile without a job and still have enough to make my trip to nevada and california next month.

cloud_doll
09-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Well, I don't have a job. I get about $40 a week though through babysitting and such for other people. But still, at the end of the weekend, my wallet is always empty =( And I can never remember what I buy! I'll blow all my money at once, then like a couple weeks later I'll be like, 'What did I spend 100 bucks on that one weekend...?' It's sad T.T

Shadowdeathrose
09-09-2007, 03:08 PM
well i have no job atm but have two interviews on monday :D other than that i have £1200 in my bank but since january ive withdrew "100 lol.... so i suppose im not a very good saver no.

Værn
09-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Hey guys,

I'm pants at keeping money in my bank account. When I quit McDonalds in April, I had about a grand saved up. Almost immediately after Maccas, I started working for a direct sales marketing company as a door-to-door salesman. From April to August, I was averaging about $300-400 a week (I can't say exactly because my pay was purely commission-based) and yet, in September, after quitting that job as well, I find myself with $6.33 in my bank account.

Anyway, I due to start a new job pretty soon. After that's underway, I'm going to open a second bank account and have one for spending and one for saving.

So do you think you guys are good at saving money?
I get $10 a week for lunch, and that's it. It's difficult to save up money when you get such a small amount, and I don't want to get a job while I'm still in school (I get distracted enough from homework as it is T_T)

(Though Vaern might have a [deviously evil] business opportunity for Mo-Nercy if Mo-Nercy is interested... Feel free to contact Vaern for details >=D)

Breine
09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Actually, I'm currently saving up as much money as humanly possible because in a year's time I'm going on a 6-7 months trip in Asia and the USA with one of my friends, which will undoubtedly be very expensive.

Zeldy
09-09-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm terrible at saving money, but it's not like I ever have much to save. I blew £230 birthday money on god knows what (well, I DID buy a £25 bikini which I have seen celebrities wearing ;D waste of money though).

I'm seriously always skint and I don't know where it goes. I geuss its suprising how much transport eats your money.

Vermachtnis
09-09-2007, 07:44 PM
I fail at saving money. Just last week I bought Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, and Paper Mario: 1000 Year Door. And that's bad. I'm a poor collage student who doesn't have that kind of money to spend. I may be hungry, but at least I'm not bored :eep:

Levian
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
For me, having money in the bank is like having a chocolate in the refrigerator. The time span it will be left alone is best counted in hours.

Jess
09-10-2007, 03:08 PM
I can save money fairly well if I am saving up for something in particular -- but if I don't have anything to save for I just spend. :z

Tasura
09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I can't save money, regardless of how hard I try, it's like trying to hold water in a cup with no bottom, it just doesn't work, I mean, I spent $1400 in under 2 weeks, which bit me in the ass come to figure I wasn't getting any money form my loans for school books, so I'm kinda fucked. But I can always hope I can scam the government out of more money.

Peegee
09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Pretty tough to save money when you have to pay the mortgage, buy food, insurance, heat, phone, cable, clothing, etc., etc. I do try to save some though. :cat:

That's the thing, ain't it?

A couple of things:

First, my aunt is single and thus can't rely on somebody else to cover for her if she suffers financial difficulty. So she actually has two years' salary saved in her bank account that she doesn't spend. That's one thing you can try to do.

(If I have two years saved I would actually use it to pay for a mortgage, but that's another topic)

Second, what I've found is that money out of the bank account is money out of mind. "Out of sight, out of mind", in other words. If you have two bank accounts, putting money in another account is good.

I have two checking accounts -- so it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to get money that is put in the other account using the normal means (only way is web-based). When I am able to save money (after all these checks for my car are done with), I will put extra money in that account and start to save money.

That's my plan.

Heath
09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I think I'm pretty good at saving money. If I know if my bank balance is skirting close to the £100 mark (I like to keep at least that much handy just in case) I can make whatever money I'm getting last for ages. When I got pocket money I used to get a fiver a week which I would consistently save up into batches of £50 before I spent it.