PDA

View Full Version : Would you beat FF VIII, Tactics Ogre, Xenogears, or Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

Dragonsoul
09-13-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm beating Final Fantasy XII, Alundra 1, and Mass Effect this fall. It was just announced that Lost Odyssey won't come out in the Usa till February 2008. Between Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey, I'd like to beat an ultimate older rpg that I haven't beaten before.

There are four rpg teams that I follow. One is the main Final Fantasy team. One is the team of Yasumi Matsuno(Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, etc). One is what I call the "cool team", for lack of a better phrase, which has made Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Xenosaga, and more. The fourth team is the team for The Legend of Zelda, including the Flagship developer who made some of the handheld titles.

Early next year in January I would like to beat a game from one of these four teams. For each of the teams, it should be the earliest game they have made that I haven't beaten, although if it's too old I may skip it. I plan to beat one of four games, although I am not yet sure which game/team it will be. I will form my own preference soon after researching them. I am curious as to the preferences of the forums. Here are my four options, which do you recommend that I beat between Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey?

Final Fantasy VIII
-I may skip FF 1-3, I already beat FF 4-7
Tactics Ogre
-I already beat Ogre Battle
Xenogears
-I already beat Chrono Trigger, I may skip Radical Dreamers
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-I may skip Zelda 1-2, I already beat Zelda 3-4

Ouch!
09-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Ocarina of Time, hands down. Don't worry about being lost on the continuity while playing OoT. Chronologically, it's the first game in generally accepted time line, so picking up there is easy enough (Zelda games all stand alone anyway).

FFVIII is a decent game. The plot, as far as I'm concerned, is atrocious, but the gameplay is pretty fun. I've not played the others.

Karellen
09-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Yeah, Ocarina of Time blows all of those other games so far out of the water it's not even funny. Unless you don't really care about gameplay and only play games for their story, in which case Xenogears is pretty neat.

Ramza Beoulve
09-13-2007, 06:56 AM
It isn't a RPG actually, but yeah, Ocarina of Time is better, and I LIKE FFVIII

Karellen
09-13-2007, 07:01 AM
I didn't mean to imply it was. Edited for clarity though.

o_O
09-13-2007, 09:27 AM
I liked Xenogears the best out of those, by far. Like, it would take at least five FFVIIIs to live up to Xenogears. :p

PhoenixAsh
09-13-2007, 09:50 AM
I've only played Ocarina of Time and FFVIII... I love them both, but I'd recommend OoT. This is purely to introduce you to the 3D Zelda games, which is a very worthwhile endeavor :) Afterwards Majora's Mask is a very different experience, and in my opinion a respectable follow up.

That said, these were revolutionary games a LONG time ago. If you don't think they'll impress you, FFVIII is one of my favourate FFs, and in my opinion has some of the best replay value. That said, its a very love it or hate it game.

Nifleheim7
09-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I haven't beaten any of them (i have only played FFVIII) but if i had to choose only one of them to play (and beat) i would have chosen FFVIII simply because it's a FF game and i want to beat them all eventually.
If FFVIII wasn't on that list i would have easily chosen OoT.

Rostum
09-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Ocarina of Time; brilliant game.

Breine
09-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Chronologically, it's the first game in generally accepted time line, so picking up there is easy enough (Zelda games all stand alone anyway).

I thought that The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap was the first game in the Zelda time line...

Anyway, as for the topic: I'd probably say Final Fantasy VIII.

Slothy
09-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I'd probably say Xenogears myself, simply because I've never played it. In your case though, OoT is probably the better game, though I think it's overrated. Play it through once or twice, then never play it again.

Madame Adequate
09-13-2007, 12:27 PM
FFVII or Xenogears. My vote was for the former.

Vermachtnis
09-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Xenogears has nekkidness and Citan.

Ouch!
09-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Chronologically, it's the first game in generally accepted time line, so picking up there is easy enough (Zelda games all stand alone anyway).

I thought that The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap was the first game in the Zelda time line...

As I never played The Minish Cap, I wouldn't honestly know, but the timeline I saw after the release of Twilight Princess (finally showing the alternate timelines that spark from OoT) still had OoT at the beginning.

KentaRawr!
09-13-2007, 08:31 PM

As I never played The Minish Cap, I wouldn't honestly know, but the timeline I saw after the release of Twilight Princess (finally showing the alternate timelines that spark from OoT) still had OoT at the beginning.

I'm fairly sure that the most recent game to be officially announced as first is Four Swords, the game that came with the re-release of A Link to the Past. However, Minish Cap generally does set itself up to be a precursor to Four Swords, so it is widely accepted as the first time-line wise.

Dragonsoul
09-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the replies! The main thing this shows me so far, this thread, is that I may delay beating Tactics Ogre. By the way, you guys like Tactics Ogre atleast some right?

Zelda has the most votes and fame, FF VIII is a main Final Fantasy title, and Xenogears is famous for having the best story of those three.

Gah! All three have desirable qualities, let's see where this thread goes when more votes come in.

By the way, since I'm playing games from these teams in order, this means that I'm delaying these games mainly: FF IX, FF X-2, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross.

Bolivar
09-13-2007, 09:37 PM
ahhhhh, I submitted my vote for FFVIII before scrolling down and seeing the last option - because this is definately too close.

I would recommend FFVIII to someone who's never played it, but I think you've said that you played it up to the final boss. I would definately recommend the other 3 in that case, if you haven't played it. Xenogears is a must for any fan of RPGs, I know some people who still uphold that it is the best released so far.

Looking back at Ocarina of time I can still scratch my head as to how good it was for its time. A game like that should've came out on Gamecube, it's a must.

Despite my vote though, I'm going with Tactics Ogre. It's the only one I haven't beaten but I remember all that I played being amazing. I'm probably going to play it pretty soon actually.

Roto13
09-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Zelda isn't an RPG. >_> But it is awesome.

Dragonsoul
09-13-2007, 10:28 PM
View Poll Results: Would you beat FF VIII, Tactics Ogre, Xenogears, or Zelda: Ocarina of Time?
Final Fantasy VIII 5 33.33%
Tactics Ogre 0 0%
Xenogears 3 20.00%
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 6 40.00%
Not sure, too close to call! 1 6.67%

Looks like Final Fantasy VIII is getting ahead of Xenogears, and catching up to Zelda. Bolivar, you voted for FF VIII, then say it's too close to call, then you say you choose Tactics Ogre. What is your preference?

Xenogears is famous for it's story! I wonder how long all of these games are? Final Fantasy VII is also famous for it's story. I wonder which games have ultimate stories. Final Fantasy Tactics is another.

Ramza Beoulve
09-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics You have said the Secret Words, go for that game first! :)

Brennan
09-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Play Ocarina of Time
you should anywho

Dragonsoul
09-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics You have said the Secret Words, go for that game first! :)

Are you looking forward to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, which comes out in the Spring of 2008 in Usa? The Final Fantasy XII team, has worked together on: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Final Fantasy XII.

It's annoying that during the production of Final Fantasy XII, the leader of this team, Yasumi Matsuno, left. I think the team from Final Fantasy XII is splitting up kinda. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, only contains part of that team. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, only contains part of that team. Yasumi Matsuno went to Nintendo to work on a new Wii rpg with help from members from Monolith Soft(Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Xenosaga 1-3).

Has the Ivalice team disbanded?! :(

Ramza Beoulve
09-14-2007, 12:45 AM

Are you looking forward to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, which comes out in the Spring of 2008 in Usa? The Final Fantasy XII team, has worked together on: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Final Fantasy XII.

It's annoying that during the production of Final Fantasy XII, the leader of this team, Yasumi Matsuno, left. I think the team from Final Fantasy XII is splitting up kinda. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, only contains part of that team. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, only contains part of that team. Yasumi Matsuno went to Nintendo to work on a new Wii rpg with help from members from Monolith Soft(Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Xenosaga 1-3).

Has the Ivalice team disbanded?! :(Matsuno, sadly, was prolonging the production of Final Fantasy XII, and taking the company to a trouble, that's the reason Yiazmat was created, as an homage and at the same time as an insult to Matsuno. Maybe it won't be the same without him, but I'm looking up for FFTA2, the Tactics Advance games will never be like the original IMO, but they are joyful and enjoyable anyways :).

Dragonsoul
09-14-2007, 12:57 AM
How do you know that he prolonged the production of Final Fantasy XII? How come you say that Yiazmat is partially an insult to him? What do you think of Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings?

Ramza Beoulve
09-14-2007, 02:44 AM
How do you know that he prolonged the production of Final Fantasy XII? How come you say that Yiazmat is partially an insult to him? What do you think of Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings?I read that in some articles about some time ago, nearly a month after FFXII was out. About the insult, if you read carefully the bestiary entry of Yiazmat, the beast killed Montblanc's mentor. Yasumi Matsuno is at the same time Yiazmat and Montblanc's mentor. Maybe it's true the thing about the sickness, and maybe I'm wrong about that, but I can't really create an opinion here.

About Revenant Wings, I like the promises the game is giving, but it being more simple than the original because it is for the DS and because they want to attract more people to Final Fantasy... well, that doesn't appeal to much to me, maybe to others it does. The game looks cool, but I can't qualify it until I play it.

Bolivar
09-14-2007, 05:22 AM
View Poll Results: Would you beat FF VIII, Tactics Ogre, Xenogears, or Zelda: Ocarina of Time?
Final Fantasy VIII 5 33.33%
Tactics Ogre 0 0%
Xenogears 3 20.00%
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 6 40.00%
Not sure, too close to call! 1 6.67%

Looks like Final Fantasy VIII is getting ahead of Xenogears, and catching up to Zelda. Bolivar, you voted for FF VIII, then say it's too close to call, then you say you choose Tactics Ogre. What is your preference?

haha yeah i guess my post was a little confusing. My point was the play the one you haven't tried yet. FFVIII is my personal favorite on the list, but all 4 are some of the best games I've ever played. I say VIII because all of the others I loved from the start, whereas VIII I hated until about a year ago, now it's one of my favorite games and I think that speaks pretty loudly about the game. Like I said, if you've already gotten to the final boss then you've already seen most of FFVIII, although IMO it has the best ending in the FF series so it might be worth it.

Like I said, Ocarina and Xenogears are a must. But I think Tactics Ogre is a little slept on, so I would give that one the edge over the other two.

Also, i searched for a rom for TO, I wanted the SNES one but apparently it still has yet to be translated, which I found surprising. I borrowed the PSX version from a friend who I haven't seen in years and I think that version's hard to find. Because of it's rarity, I would put Tactics Ogre below FFVIII, 3rd would be Xenogears and 4th Ocarina of time. All great games though you should beat them all. lol sorry for more ambiguity (quadriguity in this case?)

Ouch!
09-14-2007, 06:33 AM
If you're considering Final Fantasy Tactics and own a PSP (if not, oh well) you should just wait for the PSP remake coming out on... October 9, I think?

FFT > ALL

Rengori
09-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Instead of debating it, you could just, you know, play the game in whatever order you feel like. It won't be the end of the world if you don't beat it, or god forbid you replay a game.

Craig
09-14-2007, 06:20 PM
You wanna know what I think? I think you put too much thought into this stuff.

Madame Adequate
09-14-2007, 08:18 PM
If you're considering Final Fantasy Tactics and own a PSP (if not, oh well) you should just wait for the PSP remake coming out on... October 9, I think?

FFT > ALL

Except good SRPGs. It doesn't > those. :monster:

Dragonsoul
09-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Ramza, I didn't understand your post about the insult of Yasumi. There is no completed English translation for the Snes version of Tactics Ogre, this is because Tactics Ogre later came out for PS 1 in Usa. I beat Final Fantasy Tactics already, so I won't play that for a while, I'm gonna beat something new, but I am excited about the Oct 9th release of it. Rengori, I am making my own preference and decisions, but I am curious as to the opinions of others. For example, if 8 people vote for one game and 2 votes are given for each other one, that's gonna give me something to think about. I'm not gonna pretend that I don't care one bit about other people's opinions. Almost everybody gives thoughts to other people's opinions, this is why people read critical reviews of a game or look on forums to see what games are popular.

The only games I am ever 100% sure to beat is a main entry in the Final Fantasy series, like 12 and 13. Even the most ultimate other ones, I end up changing my plans frequently for some reason.

I'm planning Final Fantasy XII and Alundra 1 right now, 100% chance for FF XII and like 98% chance for Alundra 1. After this is Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(Yea I added it again, I may regret it if I skip it, it's a sequel to FF XII! It's great!) and Mass Effect. I'm not completely sure on those two though, we'll see. After that I am gonna beat a game(this thread lists four of them, plus also I'm actually considering Radical Dreamers, and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass). After this I'm hoping for Lost Odyssey, but after playing Blue Dragon, I'm less sure about this.

As for the games I'm considering to play between Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey, they are...
Final Fantasy VIII
Tactics Ogre
Radical Dreamers
Xenogears
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

I'm leaning torwards Final Fantasy VIII and I'm considering taking Mass Effect off the list to make time for that. By the way, next spring, after Lost Odyssey, I'm considering three games. These are: Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, and ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat.

Yea I put a lot of stuff into stuff, it's my preference. I'm gonna go back to my house soon and play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1, it's cool! Also, in regards to this thread, I'm leaning torwards Final Fantasy VIII, because it's critical that I beat that game(to me). Thanks for the posts! :)

Dreddz
09-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Xenogears just screams to be played, do it, do it.

The Unknown Guru
09-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Ocarina of Time. OCARINA OF TIME. You are not a gamer until you have bet this game.

Dragonsoul
09-16-2007, 01:13 AM
Ocarina is frequently ranked as the best game ever made. The one time I had a chance to play it I was at my cousin's house and he was playing it. Unfortunately I had given up video games for Lent, and could only watch as he beat the final boss!

Hehe, I'm leaning torwards Final Fantasy VIII right now and by the way I'm also leaning torwards removing Mass Effect from my list, which should give me more time to beat FF VIII and more time to play other games next spring...

Playing now...
Final Fantasy XII

Next...
Alundra 1(98% chance to beat this next)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(very high chance to beat this, it's a sequel to Final Fantasy XII!)
Mass Effect(I may delete this and play FF VIII instead)
...then one of the 4 games from this poll, or Radical Dreamers or The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I'm leaning torwards Final Fantasy VIII...it's Final Fantasy VIII for Pete's sake!
Lost Odyssey(after renting Blue Dragon, I'm losing enthusiasm for this and Mistwalker, but still very excited!)
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core(it's a sequel to FF VII but the FF VII spinoffs haven't been too good and I have to buy a PSP for this, I might buy this)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2(I'm actually pretty excited about this!)

I had forgotten about FF Tactics A2 coming out next spring for a while. :)

Rostum
09-16-2007, 01:49 AM
You're thinking and analysing this way too much. By the time you figure out which one you want to play, you probably could have played them all. :p

Rengori
09-16-2007, 02:26 AM
You're thinking and analysing this way too much. By the time you figure out which one you want to play, you probably could have played them all. :p

I know, seriously. Reviews are fine, I use them quite a lot myself, but I don't make a thread to decide what order I want to play them in. If you want to play FFVIII, go for it, you don't need our opinion on it. If you don't like it, stop playing and play something else.

Dragonsoul
09-16-2007, 02:29 AM
My preferences are different than yours, I'm fine with my thoughts on this topic. The point of this thread was for me to understand the relative popularity of these games.

I'm leaning torwards Final Fantasy VIII. I may delay beating games by teams 3(Xeno/Chrono), 4(Zelda), and 5(Mistwalker) so I can focus on games by teams 1(FF), and 2(Yasumi Matsuno Ivalice team)

Team 1 - Final Fantasy team
I may skip/delay beating FF 1-3
I beat FF 4-7
I'll beat FF 8-9
I beat FF X
I'll beat FF X-2
I played/watch or will play/watch some FF VII spinoff titles
I'll beat FF XIII(upcoming)
- FF XI and FF XII are by teams that are not mainly the "main Final Fantasy team". This team went from FF X-2, to FF VII Compilation products, and is now working on FF XIII

Team 2 - Yasumi Matsuno team
I'll beat Magical Chase(not an rpg, but a shooter for Turbo Grafx 16)
I beat Ogre Battle
I'll beat Tactics Ogre
I beat Final Fantasy Tactics
I'll beat Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
I'm beating Final Fantasy XII now
I'll beat Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings and Final Fantasy Tactics A2, not sure if I'll beat the remake of Final Fantasy Tactics

I listed the main games that most of those two teams worked on. :)

Rostum
09-16-2007, 04:28 AM
The point of this thread was for me to understand the relative popularity of these games.

But all I see you talking about is what you have beaten and want to beat and in what order. Also, we all know what teams worked on what, and if we didn't there's always other resources (like Wikipedia) to look them up.

:confused:

Ash Ketchum
09-16-2007, 07:31 AM
As long as you don't play Final Fantasy VIII you should be okay. You shouldn't be like playing it. Ever.

Bolivar
09-16-2007, 07:35 AM
The point of this thread was for me to understand the relative popularity of these games.

But all I see you talking about is what you have beaten and want to beat and in what order. Also, we all know what teams worked on what, and if we didn't there's always other resources (like Wikipedia) to look them up.

:confused:

geez, let him do what he wants. if it bothers you that much you should probably just let it go.

Rostum
09-16-2007, 08:21 AM
As long as you don't play Final Fantasy VIII you should be okay. You shouldn't be like playing it. Ever.

Like, ya' know, it's not that bad.

geez, let him do what he wants. if it bothers you that much you should probably just let it go.

Excuse me for trying to find the point of this thread amongst the rambling-long posts.

Madame Adequate
09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm leaning torwards Final Fantasy VIII and I'm considering taking Mass Effect off the list to make time for that.

NO. Everything ELSE must come off the list for Mass Effect. I would take Fallout 3, Halo 3, and Final Fantasy XIII off the list for Mass Effect! The only remotely plausable thing more important to be played than Mass Effect is Suikoden VI, and I don't even know if they've announced that yet!

VIII is worth playing, for sure. But not at the expense of Mass Effect.

But if you're having to make time for games by removing other games, you're simply not spending enough time playing games.

Dragonsoul
09-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Mass Effect is pretty cool! Have you beaten Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? I'm renting that now, played an hour, it's great!

Last night I played in Giruvegan Great Crystal in Final Fantasy XII and got the esper Ultima! I didn't go down the pathway to Omega Mark XII, later I will. Today I'll get Zodiark in the Henne mines extension, plus I'll beat some of the final marks, I only have six left. I'll check out the Pharos Subterra also.

Has the Suikoden team worked on any other games? I remember people liked Suikoden 1 for it's story, atleast. Xenogears and FF Tactics are famous for their story. I don't think Suikoden VI is announced but I think it will be. :D

Kenshin IV
09-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Whomever is voting for Final Fantasy VIII over Xenogears should be ashamed of their existence. Just remember, it's never too late to repent.

Rostum
09-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Whomever is voting for Final Fantasy VIII over Xenogears should be ashamed of their existence. Just remember, it's never too late to repent.

I am going to gather a lot more people have played Final Fantasy VIII than Xenogears, myself included. I don't believe we even received it in PAL regions - I did download an ISO for it, but I got bored and went on to other things. I love Xenosaga though.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 04:54 AM
I'm almost done with Final Fantasy XII and will be done in Mid October. Then I'll play Alundra 1 and be done with that during Mid November. After this I'll get Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings on November 20th when it comes out and I'll be done with it at the end of December.

Here are the new rpg's coming out this fall and next spring that I may buy: Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Here are the older rpg's I haven't beaten that have highest priority for me to beat, from the two teams I have the highest loyalty to: Final Fantasy VIII, Tactics Ogre

I'm thinking that there may not be enough time to beat Mass Effect and some older rpg's that I want to beat, plus some other newer rpg's I want to beat, so I may skip Mass Effect, since I like the other games more. I'm hearing that Mass Effect is only 50-70 hours long, so maybe there is time for me to beat it? Lost Odyssey seems pretty great and it's super specifically exactly the type of rpg I like to play(traditional rpg along the lines of a main FF game), although I'm worried it may not be good because I didn't like Blue Dragon. FF VII: CC is a prequel to FF VII which is good, but I'm not sure if it will be really great considering I thought FF VII: AC and FF VII: DoG were just kinda good only. FF T A2 looks great and right now I don't see myself not playing this game, as long as it's great, which it will be probably.

There may not be enough time to beat Final Fantasy VIII early in 2008 before Lost Odyssey and FF VII: Crisis Core comes out, so maybe I'll just beat Tactics Ogre instead, so that I can be ready to attack Lost Odyssey the day it comes out, and be also ready for FF VII: CC. FF Tactics A2 should be out next spring also, but in late Spring I think.

Tentative order for me?
Final Fantasy XII
Alundra 1
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Tactics Ogre(or possibly FF VIII instead)
Lost Odyssey(probaby)
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core(maybe, if it's great and I have time)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2(probably)

Looking at that list, it looks like I may not have time for Mass Effect. Which is unfortunate, but for me, beating something like FF VIII or FF IX is more important to me. Mass Effect is apparently 50-70 hours long so maybe there is time for me to beat it? I want to beat the top new rpg's but I also want to beat the top older rpg's I haven't beaten. My loyalties lie firstly torwards the main Final Fantasy team(FF X-2, Compilation of FF VII, and FF XIII) and secondly torwards the Yasumi Matsuno[until recently] team(FF XII, FF XII: RW, and FF T A2).

Again, I'm fine with my thinking a lot about this, if it's not in your preferences, don't worry about this. I am forming this opinion by myself mainly, I'm just curious about the popularity of the games. Thanks for the posts! :)

Rostum
09-20-2007, 05:19 AM
FF IX is more important to me.

I would have voted for this if you put it up on the poll. FFIX is awesome, the most played Final Fantasy for me.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 05:24 AM
I used to own the Final Fantasy IX game, but I didn't finish it. I stopped after 10 hours but I don't know if I was busy with other stuff or what, I liked the game!

Anyways, remember my loyalties are first to...
1. Main FF team(FF X-2, Compilation of FF VII, FF XIII, FF Agito XIII)
2. Yasumi Matsuno team(FF XII, FF XII: RW, and FF T A2)

...by the way FF V XIII is made by the Kingdom Hearts team.

I've stated in this thread that the oldest games by those two teams that I haven't beaten that are also not so old that I may not beat them immediately are Final Fantasy VIII and Tactics Ogre respectively.

Once I get these done, the next older games for me to beat from those two teams are:
Final Fantasy IX and Vagrant Story

After those two, next in line from these two teams as far as older non-beaten games are:
Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 1

What "teams" are you loyal to? After this I like the Xeno/Chrono Cross team, the Zelda team, and the Mistwalker team, but they are less important to me right now. I'm very interested in your reply! :)

Rengori
09-20-2007, 05:58 AM
If we're going to choose teams, NIS all the way.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 08:20 PM
You mean Nippon Ichi Software I think. Did you like Dragoneer's Aria? I think that game had really great trailers for it before it came out. I don't have a Psp so I haven't rented it. Actually NIS only published DA, they didn't develop it. Here are the games NIS developed and were released in Usa...

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
La Pucelle: Tactics
Phantom Brave
Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome
Disgaea 2
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters(Sep 25th 2007!)
Disgaea 3(Fall 2008 in Usa?)

Are you excited about Soul Nomad & The World Eaters? I just found out that that was NIS. I haven't played any NIS developed games yet.

What do you think of the other leading line of tactical rpgs, the Yasumi Matsuno/Ivalice/Ogre teams? ...

Ogre Battle
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics
Ogre Battle 64
Ogre Battle Gaiden
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(Nov 20th 2007 in Usa)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2(Spring 2008 in Usa)

...also what are the other signifigant tactical rpg's released in the past decade that aren't from Quest or Square Enix?

Rengori
09-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Fuck yes I want Soul Nomad. NIS is having my babies for that, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea, and Disgaea 2.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Soul Nomad should be popular, interesting that it got moved to a later date, Sep 25th. Do you have it pre-ordered? What about a strategy guide? You give me those items!

I'll see about renting Disgaea 1, but how good is Rhapsody?

Rengori
09-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Disgaea is not a renting game, there's far too much to do in the game to beat in a weekend and enjoy if it's your first time playing through.

I honestly haven't played Rhapsody, but that's only because I couldn't find it in the used PS1 game section.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:30 PM
It's hard to find PS 1 rpg's now. For Snes you can just easily download the rom. For PS 2 it isn't hard to rent them. For PS 1 roms are harder to find and take longer to download, plus stores and video game rental websites do not rent them as much. I was having a difficult time trying to get Suikoden 1 or Wild Arms 1.

Rengori
09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Again, you have to buy Disgaea to enjoy it. You're probably not going to finish it a week and you'll probably want to play it a few more times taking advantage of NIS's insanity with extra features.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:41 PM
How many hours long is it, with and without sidequests?

Rengori
09-20-2007, 11:43 PM
You don't want to complete all the sidequests unless you're BtV or want to drive yourself crazy. I think it was 50 hours, but once again you won't want to play it once.

Vermachtnis
09-20-2007, 11:46 PM
What's BtV? I'm going onto 80 hours in that game and I've barely scratched the surface of the optinal stuff.

Rengori
09-20-2007, 11:50 PM
*Behold the Void

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:50 PM
So it's 50 hours without sidequests, but how long with sidequests?

FF XII is 100/200 hours respectively by the way.