PDA

View Full Version : Non-Muslims, tried Fasting?

Hazzard
09-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Alright, let Hazzard explain the situation; Comet, an eyesonff member and my close friend offered to do fasting this year, considering it's his religion. This is his first day, and mine, because I agreed to go on this 30-day spiritual fast with him.

And, hey, the rules are hard - No Swearing, no drinking or eating until the evening (7.23 pm) no violence, and worst of all, no sexual contact - that's right, I can't even do much with a girl...:(

The question is, do you think this Non-Muslim boy will survive this treacherous experience, or will I crack?

I'll post frequently, and feel free to post opinions on the subject!

Yamaneko
09-14-2007, 08:00 PM
What's the point?

edczxcvbnm
09-14-2007, 08:02 PM
No Swearing

:skull::skull::skull::skull:! I already fucked that one up XD

Nominus Experse
09-14-2007, 08:02 PM
I've fasted before, but never to the point of omitting my daily lifestyle (language, sexual contact, etc).

You'll crack.

Rye
09-14-2007, 08:04 PM
The only fasting I've done was the "I'm depressed about my weight so let's not eat for 3 days" fast. D: I wouldn't do it for anything other than that.

Miriel
09-14-2007, 08:06 PM
You could do it if you really wanted to, but why would you want to?

Quindiana Jones
09-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Is it this evening, or the evening of 30 days time?

Nominus Experse
09-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Why climb mountains?

I suspect that's why he's doing it. That, or he's trying to support his religious friend in this whole fasting business.

Shauna
09-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I did a 24 hour fast once. My dad sponsored me £10. But... I forgot to give the money into the school, and the £10 mysteriously vanished. :shifty:

Madame Adequate
09-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Why climb mountains?

Because they're there.

Like food is.

Vivisteiner
09-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Good luck.

Im not Muslim, but I have loads of Muslim friends who are all struggling at school. The trick is to eat loads at breakfast and loads at dinner. I cba to do that though.

Nominus Experse
09-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Why climb mountains?

Because they're there.

Like food is.
You stubborn Lawlzasaurus you.

White_Dove15445
09-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, fasting has its own advantages like, for people who like to do a diet and people who have problems with stomach. For me fasting is a problem cause I get huangry. The time that you shouldn't eat is too long.

But other than not eating I continue all my other things. Some girls in my cauntry wear these things on their heads to hide their hair, how ridiculous! cause after the month is over they take it off and that's so forbidden in Islamic religion. Anyway, I don't wear it wheather fasting or no, and it's better that way.

I think fasting is fun.... sometimes... :-/

Old Manus
09-14-2007, 08:24 PM
I think only eating in the morning and evening for a month or so is insane, religion or not

Jess
09-14-2007, 08:35 PM
The only fasting I have done is not eating for a while. I wouldn't do anything else.

Good luck. :jess:

rubah
09-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I bet if you're willing to cleanse your spririt enough to do it you'll make it! It's easier with friends though, especially ones you can't persuade.

I did a one day fast and it was pretty torturous, I craved all kinds of weird food, weirdest of all was barbeque xD But the next morning I wasn't really hungry like I'd been.

Yamaneko
09-14-2007, 08:46 PM
If you don't follow a doctor's specific instructions fasting can be dangerous. Crash dieting is one of the worsts things you can do.

Necronopticous
09-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Eating all at once late in the evening for a month is horrible for your metabolism and general health.

Yamaneko
09-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Yep.

Quindiana Jones
09-14-2007, 08:50 PM
You lot all suck! "OMG I DIDNT EAT ANYTHING FOR A DAY AND IT WERE HORRID!"

Pansies.

Hazzard
09-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Don't worry, people, I'm taking the correct procedures, I can last by just eating breakfast and Dinner at night, plus it saves money, which keeps me even more devoted.

The point is: I want to experience something adventurous, even it being a 30-day fast, cause I want to be proud that I achieved something that I thought, and others perceived as ludicrous and impossible, especially with it being me.

My mother thinks it's a crazy idea, and people don't think I will succeed, but I'm hoping I pull through, thanks for the support!

Necronopticous
09-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Finish Final Fantasy IX while you're at it.

Hazzard
09-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Finish Final Fantasy IX while you're at it.

Makes me wanna eat, I'll read a book instead. Thank God I got school to keep me occupied, or it would seriously be torture. :p

mooglebunni608
09-14-2007, 09:21 PM
I tried fasting around Easter, but I really need to eat every couple hours unless I'm aslpeep.
:/ I can't do much.

Araciel
09-14-2007, 09:25 PM
i would never...good luck man.

Renmiri
09-14-2007, 09:30 PM
I give up my favorite food - chocolate - for Lent every year. And used to fast on Sundays - just water - for a year or two. It is more a test of self control and inner discipline.

Go for it, you will be glad you tested your limits :)

Disco Potato
09-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Good luck! :jess:

I'm fasting for the first time in about 5 years, I think. Yesterday was hard, especially since school hasn't started for me yet (nothing to keep me really distracted), but today's been considerably easier. Except for the swearing part :p

Try not to do what I did yesterday when ending the fast and drink 3 glasses of water immediately one after another :exdee:

Hazzard
09-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Lol, I've been stuffing myself for the past hours, and will go to bed well fed.

bipper
09-14-2007, 09:53 PM
You've got big balls haz.

Hazzard
09-14-2007, 09:58 PM
You've got big balls haz.

Balls of Steel, my friend...:p

Fasting doesn't seem too difficult until midday, that's when the stomach begins to rage with hunger pains, especially when I was in the canteen today and saw so many glorious, delicious, foods. The smell of chips was whiffing through the air, and the pasta was covered with a thick layer of diced up cheese...ummm...i wish i ate...:)

Værn
09-14-2007, 10:01 PM
And, hey, the rules are hard - No Swearing, no drinking or eating until the evening (7.23 pm) no violence, and worst of all, no sexual contact - that's right, I can't even do much with a girl...:(
I haven't sworn in over seven years. The last time I swore it was on New Year's Day, 2000, and I was mimicking everything my brother was saying too quickly to catch myself. Before that, the last time I swore (if at all) is too far back for me to remember. Aside from that, I've only thrown one punch before (eight years ago) and I've never been in a relationship. The only thing that I would have trouble with in there is holding off until evening to eat, but I don't think going a full month would be the slightest challenge to me.

Hazzard
09-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I swear quite often; for fun, and sentences just don't sound distinctively favorable without out them, they seem to be stripped from their flavor and passion, the emphasis needed to express a certain something you just want to let off your chest, ya know?

Violence, I can last without.
Eating as well, sexual contact, probably not.

Comet
09-14-2007, 10:17 PM
I just filled myself up with chinese food! ;)

Hazzard
09-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I just filled myself up with chinese food! ;)

I could of done that, but I decided to save money instead. :)

Fonzie
09-14-2007, 11:29 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9384/frugalsburgeryz4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9384/frugalsburgeryz4.bed873b31b.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=519&i=frugalsburgeryz4.jpg)

How ya' doing?

Rase
09-14-2007, 11:37 PM
worst of all, no sexual contact - that's right, I can't even do much with a girl...:(
Unless we have different definitions of sexual contact, the fact that your 14 should be enough to dissuade you from any of that tomfoolery.

Anyway, good luck man. I fasted to a month a few years back for some reason I can't remember, and it wasn't too bad. Of course here in college with my class schedule I only get one or two times to eat a day anyway unless I go out (which I don't), so yeah. It's not so bad after like three or four days. You'll get used to it.

Resha
09-15-2007, 12:58 AM
I have tried fasting along some of my friends for Ramadan before, but I've failed gloriously everytime. I usually make it about 1/2 to 3/4 day -- and then cave in :p

snacks
09-15-2007, 01:04 AM
I can't not eat. I only eat once a day, so it's pretty much *like* it but I get sick if I don't.

qwertysaur
09-15-2007, 01:12 AM
I fast twice a year. Yom Kippur and Tish A'Bav. Yom Kippur is a must harder fast though. Sitting in temple for an entire day praying doesn't help keep my mind off food very much.

But Kudos to you for experiencing an important aspect of another culture. You will understand so much more about yourself and you friends culture when this month is over.

rubah
09-15-2007, 03:47 AM
Jewish?

abrojtm
09-15-2007, 04:00 AM
I usually only eat one meal a day anyway, because I'm poor.

Momiji
09-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Seeing that I can live off of one decent meal a day, fasting in this style would be a piece of cake (or lack thereof) for me. However, the swearing... that would be more difficult.

qwertysaur
09-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Jewish?

Yes.:)

Hazzard
09-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Well, it's morning, and I've had my food for the day - two bananas, a drink and cereal.

That will do until 7:23 pm, I think.

Comet
09-15-2007, 02:54 PM
It's until 7:21 today and tomorrow is until 7:19

Hazzard
09-15-2007, 03:04 PM
It's until 7:21 today and tomorrow is until 7:19

Does it keep going down every two minutes, everyday?

White_Dove15445
09-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Yes, it keeps going down every day or every two days. I wonder why that is!

Quindiana Jones
09-15-2007, 03:41 PM
.......................................................................... *smacks forehead*

Comet
09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Someting to do when the sun sets.

Hazzard
09-15-2007, 04:49 PM
I now am allowing myself to eat on weekends, so I will be able to function properly to do my homework, and be in a state of consciousness.

Ashi
09-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm muslim, so I am fasting as it is Ramadan now. :)

I think it is very possible for you to do it if you really want to. I started doing it at 12 or 13, then again I live in a community where nearly everyone I know does it.

These days I am even trying to juggle my daily 2 litres of water intake during the evenings where I can eat/drink. Where I am we start fasting at 4:35ish am and break it at 6:25 pm (the person who said sunset is correct, the fast is broken at sunset).

Since the topic is directed at non-muslims, I will just add that one of my insturctors at my language institute has been asking about it. She asked how we could do it and what exactly are our meals.

Fast technically starts for us at 4:35 am (I believe that was what my clock looked like when the prayer was called this morning), we get up around an hour or half an hour before that for a light meal and water. If we have leftovers that could be reheated that's good, but I usually prefer something that is really light so I can go back to sleep later on.

Managing your meals depends on the individual. No matter how hungry you feel, I've noticed that if you eat your meals slowly you will not eat more than you really need. Usually, the 6:25 pm meal keeps me going until the 4 am meal.

I agree that midday is when hunger strikes the worst, and that keeping yourself occupied is one of the best things to get you through it. But another thing, the original reason as to why I do this. Yes, I am muslim but I believe fasting strongly reminds me that there are others out there that are starving. When the sun sets, I have a warm home to go back to, a warm table and food on it. There are others that will not have anything on their table when the sun sets. I feel fastig reminds me of them, whether they are in my community or somewhere else.

Also, I do believe my caffiene intake has lessoned since Ramadan began. But who knows how long that will last...

scrumpleberry
09-16-2007, 07:55 PM
If you can accomplish this, you will feel wonderful.

Best of luck, Haz. Go for it!

Peegee
09-17-2007, 10:24 PM
It's not too hard. I think they can drink water, but I'm not sure. You can't do any of that stuff until after sunset. For me, since I don't swear, I would probably just have to not eat until dinner. And technically I can eat before dawn, I think, so if I wake up early enough I can have breakfast.

In any case, it's not as hard as you'd think. I've done a similar diet before and lasted about three weeks before I gave up. I lost about 7 lbs.

Laddy
09-18-2007, 12:28 AM
I fast once every couple of months.

Jojee
09-18-2007, 02:32 AM
That sounds kinda fun! Well, not some parts of it :shifty: but I would try it just for kicks, maybe. xD

Quindiana Jones
09-18-2007, 05:54 PM
That sounds kinda fun! Well, not some parts of it :shifty: but I would try it just for kicks, maybe. xD

You don't have the balls, sissy.

Tallulah
09-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Good luck, Hazzard! :)

Since the Muslim calendar is based on the lunar cycle, Ramadan gets earlier each year, and next year will be harder than ever, as it will be late August. Now, isn't so bad, as the nights are drawing in quicker.

I had a Muslim friend at college, and she used to have to buy her lunch at lunch break (usually a sandwich at Boots) and then not eat it until she got on the train home, by which time it would be sunset. That would have been about four years ago, when Ramadan was closer to October/November time. She would often complain about feeling hungry, having food on her, but not being able to eat it. :(

Peegee
09-18-2007, 07:07 PM
That's why you eat two meals a day, assuming you can wake up that early. The biggest challenge if you don't is that you eat before you sleep, so you have those eight hours, plus the 12 hours of awake time. Ouch.

Hazzard
09-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Sorry guys, I couldn't pull through. I nearly physically vomited yesterday, after basically starving myself on the fast, I couldn't function properly by last period (lesson) and my stomach was aching really bad, so severe that I was sent out a couple of times to take a breather, that's when I reached down into my pocket, carefully tore open the crisp packet, and gobbled them down my throat. It helped a bit, but was a very scary ordeal when my stomach was messed up.

I don't think I'll ever fast again, maybe I should leave that to the devoted Muslims...

White_Dove15445
09-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Do you wake up at 4 in the morning to eat or no?

Hazzard
09-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Yes, you wake up at 4am. (when the sun sets)

Then resume eating after 6.30pm (when the sun departs)

escobert
09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
I have no need for any of that nonsense.

EDIT: I'm not saying being Muslim is nonsense but, that's not my idea of fun.

Disco Potato
09-19-2007, 01:31 AM
I have no need for any of that nonsense.

EDIT: I'm not saying being Muslim is nonsense but, that's not my idea of fun.

It's not supposed to be "fun" in the usual sense :p

Jojee
09-19-2007, 04:16 AM

You don't have the balls, sissy. I have plenty of balls, actually. *holds up Rengori's* :choc:

bipper
09-19-2007, 04:21 AM
I am way to slow to fast, really.:mog: