PDA

View Full Version : Overprotective Parents

Jessweeee♪
09-15-2007, 03:00 AM
So who are the unfortunate ones around here?

Things could be worse for me...I mean, I can't do anything at night and my parents have to know exactly where I am, what I'm doing, and how long I'll be doing it when I'm outside the house. The only real problem is the internet...they think because I'm younger than them I'm less knowledgeable about computers and things, and because they don't know much to begin with...

ANYWAYS, I make this thread because I got my check from EoFF in teh mail, and after my dad had me explain what it was, he was lyke OMGWTFBBQ JESSICA UR GONNA GET RAPED BY SUM PERV :mad2:

...he calmed down a bit after I told him that I've been going here for at least two years and no one has been raped (or scammed) after giving their address to Loony BoB so far.

oddler
09-15-2007, 03:05 AM
My parents were never hardcore about curfews and things. They had them and they enforced them but they never went overboard, in my opinion. Later on, when I was turned 16, I just went out whenever and I wouldn't say they didn't care but they never raised a big stink over it.

On the other hand... Man, I had some hellacious groundings over grades. If school was in and I wasn't 16 years old yet, you could pretty much bet I was stuck at home.

Deborah
09-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Ha..I'm living at home while going to college, and at 22 my parents are still overprotective. The other night I went to a friend's house and was told to be home by midnight, that it was my "curfew". Ooh Parents! They also assume since I'm a girl that anytime I go outside alone I'm going to be raped....so see my parents are the model of overprotective! :p

Rye
09-15-2007, 03:14 AM
I know exactly how that goes... xD

Psychotic
09-15-2007, 03:20 AM
When I met people from EoFF for the first few times, they were too worried about it all, thanks to wonderful sensationalist journalism forcing the "everyone on the internet except your child is a paedophile" belief upon them. Now that I've done it countless times without receiving forced anal penetration (shut up Baloki, I consented), they don't give a crap about such things.

As for general overprotectiveness, well, I don't think they're terrible about it, but they still take it too far for a 20 year old male.

Miriel
09-15-2007, 03:24 AM
My parents weren't that overprotective of me when I was younger. Ever since I started college, the overprotectiveness has, like, tripled. It's really nuts. My unofficial curfew in High School was 12 AM, although my parents never really minded me staying out later as long as I called to let them know. A couple months ago, I was at my parent's home for the weekend, and I went out with friends and came back at 11PM and my Mom was waiting by door and completely flipped out on me.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?!?!"
"uh... it's 11. What's your problem?"
"WHAT WERE YOU DOING OUT SO LATE?!?!?"
"OH MY GOD, 11 O'CLOCK IS NOT LATE! CALM DOWN YOU CRAZY WOMAN!"

Yeah. It was a big fight, and I still don't know why she got so upset.

Nowadays, they're always calling to see where I am, who I'm with, what I'm doing. It gets me unbelievably mad.

I think the fact that I'm becoming an adult and moving away from them, they're latching on to me in a way they've never done before. It's really not cool. It's like they're digging in their claws and refusing to let go.

rubah
09-15-2007, 03:28 AM
my parents are pretty lenient actually. I mean I always had more hangups over info on the internet when I was younger than they did xD of course that might be different now, but probably not to where they have more than me!

Faris
09-15-2007, 03:31 AM
I'm an only child, so yeah. It's not so bad. I've adjusted to it as well, so I barely notice. Except for the fact that I'm not allowed to take the bus home from work when I close (which is 9pm), even though it's only a 5 minute bus ride. That and I am constantly reminded "bring your phone and keys"

Marshall Banana
09-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Yeah. In some cases, overprotective parents are just ignorant parents. My mother takes news specials on internet predators as gospel; she monitors everything that dad does. I'm glad that both of them stopped threatening to cancel our internet service and ban me from my computer, though.

Ha..I'm living at home while going to college, and at 22 my parents are still overprotective. The other night I went to a friend's house and was told to be home by midnight, that it was my "curfew". Ooh Parents! They also assume since I'm a girl that anytime I go outside alone I'm going to be raped....so see my parents are the model of overprotective! :p
Don't shave your legs! =O

Rengori
09-15-2007, 03:33 AM
No, my parents aren't over protective. I still got bad luck, my mom is the kind that wants my life to go one way and she will disown me if I don't do exactly what she has planned out in her head. She's also the kind that would still love me if I killed a man but not if I started smoking.

fire_of_avalon
09-15-2007, 03:35 AM
My dad has always been the complete opposite of overprotective. Well, that would be neglectful and he wasn't neglectful. He was the right amount of protective. He wants to know what I'll be up to on the weekends from time to time, and he wants to know what's happening in my life but that's more because he's just interested. The only time he was the slightest bit overbearing was when I wanted to take a bus to see friends from out of town when I was 17 or so. I freaked out about it, but I realize now that it was probably a good thing. I hadn't really experienced a crazy person on my own before, so I would've probably just shut down completely if there was a crazy on the bus.

Jess, I figure if you'd told your dad that you were contributing to the site he probably wouldn't have minded so much.

Resha
09-15-2007, 03:36 AM
My parents suffocate me, sometimes (metaphorically). They do it, of course because I'll "get raped", because they only want what's best for me, and because it's their duty. But really :p The list of horrors is too long to explain.

Vikeve
09-15-2007, 03:45 AM
Ofcourse, my parents have gievn me the whole be carfeul on the internet speech hints my location.

But my parents are cool, as long as I call to tell them I'm alrigth they let me stay out late do whatever. Mainly becuase they trust me and have good reason to. But just last week I didn't call home and I cam back late and they were all freaked out at least they didn't call the cops or ground me so it's all good.

But seriously, having parents sufficate you isn't such a bad thing. It just means they worry about you. Parents can be much worse my parents are cool so I'm alright but I've seen friends with the exact opposite problem and it's sad.

Jessweeee♪
09-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Jess, I figure if you'd told your dad that you were contributing to the site he probably wouldn't have minded so much.

I told him :p

He assumes I'm going to go OOH? A FREE iPOD? ALL I GOTTA DO IS VOTE ON WHETHER PARIS HILTON SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN JAIL? YEAH!

I explained to him that I'd been going here for long enough now and he backed off XD

It was kinda funny :exdee:

...but yeah, things could be lots lots worse, or I could even have parents that don't care at all, so I'm a little grateful for that XD

Fonzie
09-15-2007, 04:33 AM
To an extent.

Goldenboko
09-15-2007, 05:02 AM
My parents are so bad (mainly my dad) there is no reasoning. In your shoes I wouldn't even had taken the money because my dad would be all like "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING? BE QUIET I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH THINGS SINCE BEFORE YOU WHERE BORN!"

:P

Jess
09-15-2007, 02:13 PM
My parents aren't over-protective, they trust me not to do anything stupid. Usually they ask some questions about what I'm doing but I think that's more out of interest. I don't have a 'curfew', I usually get a taxi home or stay at my boyfriends house. Obviously, there are things my parents would rather me not to do, but I think that's the same with all parents. :jess:

Rocket Edge
09-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Are they over-protective? Not at allllllll.

escobert
09-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I do what I want!

fire_of_avalon
09-15-2007, 04:40 PM

I told him :p

I meant before the check actually came. x D

Marluxiaswife
09-15-2007, 08:20 PM
When i was younger they were overprotective like crazy but now there not really...just only about the older safer stuff like...not doing drugs,drinking,going to parties hanging out with the wrong crowd ect...you know

Madame Adequate
09-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Overprotective? My parents were the greatest danger in my life. At best, they just didn't care about me.

Dr. Acula
09-16-2007, 05:07 AM
My parents don't worry too much, I don't go out much and when I do they trust me. Most of the time, when I go somewhere, they remind what our phone number is (just in case I forget:rolleyes2 ) and tell me to take my cellphone in case of an emergency, and my mum usually tells me to stay away from old men.
As for the internet, they know I'm not one to give out personal information much, so they're fine with me being on the internet.

Ash Ketchum
09-16-2007, 07:34 AM
It is better to have parents that like to give you money because then you can buy Rhode Island.

Peegee
09-16-2007, 07:48 AM
My mother's a different kind of overprotective. More like...distrustful, I guess. I've made posts.

To the females here with overprotective parents, since I don't intend to be the type of parent to be overprotective, does not worrying about your kid count as neglect? Like if my future 17 year old daughter wanted to take the bus should I be like 'bye!'

:shrug:

Zeldy
09-16-2007, 08:02 AM
My Dad is, but Dad's always are over girls. Yesterday for example, my friend jokingly (but truthfully) said she was going to have a going-round-town party for her 18th, but Id only be 17 and my Dad flipped out and my Mum was like "hey, Id come with you!". They won't let me get transport at night, and Im usually home by 6pm and even then they're like "where have you been!?". I had a disagreement with them recently over this, I was at my friends house and it was like 10pm and it's LITERALLY down the road, but my Dad was like "IM WALKING HALF WAY" I was like uh xD They think as soon as it's dark men come out to rape girls.

Ashi
09-16-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm in my twenties and my mother is still overprotective and worrying. And if it isn't her, it's my younger sibling who is an even bigger worrier, and when I'm done dealing with that my grandparents worry even more!

Peter_20
09-16-2007, 05:27 PM
"It's icey out there, what if you slip and hurt yourself?!"

- Grandmother, 2001.

Polaris
09-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Things could be worse for me...I mean, I can't do anything at night and my parents have to know exactly where I am, what I'm doing, and how long I'll be doing it when I'm outside the house. The only real problem is the internet...they think because I'm younger than them I'm less knowledgeable about computers and things, and because they don't know much to begin with...

Hello there the only problem is that I'm older than you a few years! Appart from that we have the same parents :tongue:

Brennan
09-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Thank god I ain't the only one with 'em :D

Kareh.
09-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh god. I know exactly how overprotective parents work. ESPECIALLY ON THE INTERNET...
My mother had some guy come and block off all of my messanger services. I told her that I wasn't really talking to a lot of people online anymore.
So she took that off. But she still is cautious about it. I really can't blame her, though... :P

But yeah. There's my two cents.

White_Dove15445
09-16-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't know, but I think yes, they are very protective but not over protective. They trust me and know what i am doing but since I hardly get out of the house alone unless I am going to college then they have very little to ask me about, duh!

Iceglow
09-16-2007, 08:33 PM
My mom is quite the opposite. She regulary tries to do crap like throw me out the house even though I'd have nowhere to live, so over protective parents seem like a blessing to me I'd like one who merely cares. I suppose in a sense it was my own fault for when she was protective and did give a crap about me telling her I was an adult and could make my own mistakes in this life and she could back the hell off.

Shauna
09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
My Mum is slightly more protective of me than my dad - but neither of them are really overprotective.
Actually, when I first told my mum I was meeting people I'd met on the internet, I'd already met them beforehand, and the first time I met them I said I was meeting friends from school. xD But, she's generally okay with it, as long as I know the person isn't some crazed paedophile. :p But... other than internet people, my mum isn't terribly protective of me - except maybe when it comes to boys. xD But, I assume that's a typical mother attitude...? =[

My dad on the other hand... I don't want to say he doesn't care, because that's a bit extreme, but he's not all that bothered. I asked him if people I'd met here could come to stay for a while, and he was "Sure thing". No questions asked, no "Who are they?", "where did you meet them?" etc. But, I'm not complaining. :D

Loony BoB
09-21-2007, 11:55 AM
no one has been raped (or scammed) after giving their address to Loony BoB so far.
Yes. Absolutely. Definitely. Couldn't be more right. I'll never be caught. Wait, what?

Levian
09-21-2007, 12:11 PM
My parents are underprotective! They haven't called me in a month and they've turned my room into 'an activity room'. Stupid room with its stupid activities. :mad2:

41-Inches-Wide
09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
My parents want me to chill, let loose and party wild. o_o;;

Araciel
09-21-2007, 12:31 PM
i had underprotective parents...but i never did much.

Old Manus
09-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Saw parents today. Overprotective so killed them. Tasty.

Mogi
09-21-2007, 11:12 PM
When I lived with my aunt, she wouldn't let me do ANYTHING.
Well, she would let (made) me do what she wanted, but she wasn't overprotective, just dictating over everything that I did.
T-T

Vincent, Thunder God
09-22-2007, 03:56 AM
My parents aren't overprotective - it's not that they don't care about my safety, they just don't worry over little things that have no consequence. There have been a few times my mother has been a bit too worrying, but overall she's fine.

Big Brother
09-22-2007, 04:25 AM
My parents are lenient about some things, strict about others. My mom, like many mothers, has a problem accepting that I'm an adult and can more or less fend for myself. One thing that contributes to this is that I'm not a healthy man. I have Neurofibromatosis Type 1 and I'm a cancer survivor, so of course she'd be worried.

JerseyMage
09-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Its annoying when I'm going out and they ask for like a million details. Or when my friends or siblings misbehave and I get blamed for it.
I'll explain to them why they are wrong and they won't listen.

I've heard it said that children often become like their parents later in life. I'm pretty sure I'll avoid their mistakes when I think about it now though. What about you guys?

Lynx
09-22-2007, 07:56 AM
my parents were never too strict. even when i was younger they always said if im drunk somewheres to call for a ride and not drive myself. so obviously they were pretty leniant. also when i was young i was smart in the woods so they never had to worry about me being eaten by a bear. also i was shooting guns, playing with knives and setting off fireworks at a pretty young age so obviously they had some trust in me. and so far all my incodents involveing cops they mainly just laugh at me for it. seeing as i never got into to much trouble or did drugs or anything i was worth trusting i guess.

Leeza
09-22-2007, 08:16 AM
It sounds to me like most of you here are very lucky to have parents who love you and are concerned for your safety. When you all become parents you'll know exactly where they're coming from. :)

Heath
09-22-2007, 10:58 AM
My parents have always be generally cautiously lenient with me. If I said I was going to do something incredibly stupid they'd let me know, but otherwise it's always been a case of "yeah, let us know when you'll get back." When I was younger if I wanted to stay over somewhere, it was always a case of getting a phone number and an address but other than that it was more a case of "have a good time!"

The Unknown Guru
09-23-2007, 04:34 AM
They aren't because they don't know anything.

However, I like this girl that has overprotective parents so she can't actually go out with me although I think she likes me. >.<

Rengori
09-23-2007, 05:10 AM
...he calmed down a bit after I told him that I've been going here for at least two years and no one has been raped (or scammed) after giving their address to Loony BoB so far.

I'm surprised after like a week no one has made this (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/loony%2Bbob%2Bpenetrated%2Bme.html) joke yet.

Shiny
09-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Overprotective? Yes. As an example, I stayed out over a friend's house till midnight. Even though I told him where I was going to be and he confirmed that it was alright, when I came back he had an attitude. I was greeted with, "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?" "Yes. It's 12:00 and I already told you where I was going to be. In fact you drove me there." It's like there's something that becoming a parent does to you. It makes you extremely unreasonable and equally controlling.

fantasyjunkie
09-23-2007, 06:16 AM
Over protective parents are a pain in the rear and I'll be the last person in the world to deny that. But at least they care.
Working in the school district at an elementary school I see parents every day park their cars in the parking lot or on the side of the street and wait inside their car, honking their horns, making these little waist high children run into a parking lot full of moving cars instead of getting out and holding their hands.
Sad, just sad :mad2:

final fantasy is stinky
09-23-2007, 06:28 AM
I hardly ever go out because my mom give me a full interogation. It goes a little something like this 1.Where are you going? 2.Who is going to be there? 3.What time are you leaving and coming home? 4. Wait who are these people? 5. Do they drink or do drugs? 6. don't forget to call home if you decide to go anywhere else and just call to check up anyways..... ya life sucks ^_^

Nominus Experse
09-23-2007, 08:24 AM
When I was anything younger than 15 - when I was still the poster child christian - my parents were quite protective, perhaps even interrogative. But then they discovered that little christian me had "secrets" and doubts concerning the faith I was raised on, and well, I guess you could say they simply gave up in some ways. It could have simply been coincidental with my age and current events, but things seem to point in a direction that hovers near neglect.

But really, as frustrating as having overprotective parents may be, it does show that they do care to an extent.