PDA

View Full Version : ff4 or FF6

Lionheart8
09-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Which one do you like more and why? who is your character

Shlup
09-15-2007, 09:31 PM
QUIT PUTTING THREADS IN THE WRONG FORUM.

Thanks.

PuPu
09-15-2007, 09:56 PM
This is a tough one. But I'd say FFIV.

Slothy
09-15-2007, 10:17 PM
FFVI hands down. Better story, characters, villians, music, and graphics. I would only give FFIV a slight edge in gameplay, but not nearly enough to take the top spot.

Rengori
09-16-2007, 12:18 AM
FFVI hands down. Better story, characters, villians, music, and graphics. I would only give FFIV a slight edge in gameplay, but not nearly enough to take the top spot.

FF_Chick
09-16-2007, 03:41 AM
Both =D.

I love them much.

Bolivar
09-16-2007, 07:21 AM
I would only give FFIV a slight edge in gameplay, but not nearly enough to take the top spot.

I thought IV is one of the most boring FF's gameplay-wise, aside from having 5 characters in your party. The only thing you can really do is play your characters according to class, which you can do if you really want to in all the others anyway.

To me, this is one of those "x is the better game but i prefer y" kind of things. I just enjoy FFIV more than VI every time I play them. VI's story just didn't do it for me like IV does. IV kept switching up the script and kept me interested until the end - you're finding out new things one after another; VI I pretty much could guess everything that was going to happen every time the plot advanced. Not to mention that the villain is on the level of Vaan and Penelo in that he had no reason to be there. I guess people just got caught up in the hype due to the graphics and use of cut scenes (imagine that).

Gameplay-wise, like I said IV doesn't offer much, but VI did it pretty damn good. The use of relics, espers, and the fact that equipment didn't progress forward - it went in different directions allowing alot of choice to the player on how to develop their characters. Which is why I guess i'm one of the few people that likes the World of Ruin better than Balance, the whole thing is a choice - now that you have these characters you get to decide how you want to build them up, and I do different things everytime.

But ultimately RPGs are games that tell stories, and I never found the actual game in the turn-based sub-genre to be particularly engaging until VII. For that, I give this to FFIV.

Slothy
09-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Gameplay-wise, like I said IV doesn't offer much, but VI did it pretty damn good. The use of relics, espers, and the fact that equipment didn't progress forward - it went in different directions allowing alot of choice to the player on how to develop their characters. Which is why I guess i'm one of the few people that likes the World of Ruin better than Balance, the whole thing is a choice - now that you have these characters you get to decide how you want to build them up, and I do different things everytime.

You may have liked that more, but for me, FFVI was too easy even if it is my favourite game of all time. Yeah, you could build characters how you wanted, and even build specific classes if you chose, but it was so easy even then that there was no point. FFIV on the other hand is a challenging game, and by forcing you into specific classes, it requires even more quick thinking and strategy in battles than FFVI ever had. That's what made the gameplay interesting for me.

As for story, FFIV's is pretty predictable if you ask me. Don't get me wrong; for the time it was an amazing plot. Nothing like it had ever been done in an RPG before, but in it's case, I don't think the plot itself was good enough to make up for a general lack of interesting character development. FFVI on the other hand had a great plot if you ask me, that did keep me guessing in a lot of spots (who actually expected Kefka to destroy the world the first time through?), and backed it up with one of the most diverse and well developed casts in RPG history.

Brennan
09-16-2007, 06:50 PM

Elpizo
09-16-2007, 07:38 PM
FF IV for me. FF VI give "horribly bad" a new meaning for me. Okay, maybe I'm exagerating a bit, VI had some good parts, but those don't make up for the bad points at all. VI's still the worst FF game ever.

IV was like, my second game of the series I played, the first being FFTA, so I guess I'm a bit nostalgic. But even so, IV really expanded my views on RPGs. Before I had only played (and absolutely loved) the Golden Sun games as RPGs, but I have to say they weren' t as deep in story as IV, IMHO. I loved IV's characters, the music, the Final Boss. Everything amazed me and it really made me look more into the series. The only thing I'm not that fond of in IV is the gameplay, plain leveling isn't that great.

So yeah, IV for me. I'm really looking forward to the DS remake, which appears to be the best version of IV up until now with a bit of tweaked gameplay elements (Rydia and Rosa using Twin together? Yes please!). If VI gets a DS remake as well, I might give it a chance, but I don't think my opinion on that crapfest will ever change. Sorry VI.

09-16-2007, 08:12 PM
VI, it's not even a contest. The best game of the series still beats IV, despite IV having the benefit of being the first FF game I played (not counting playing I for a few minutes at my aunt's house once when I was really young), and the second RPG I played after Dragon Warrior I and II. Even with all that nostalgia I just can't play IV today without noticing the terrible translation and the fact that every one of your playthroughs will be exactly the same, as your characters can't be customized and you have to use the same ones for every part of the game. Though I'll give props to the GBA remake for making FFIV 20 times better, and though I can't help loving IV to death despite its faults, there's just no FF game aside from V that even comes close to VI.

Avarice-ness
09-16-2007, 09:47 PM
And this is where I make the comment that FFVI is number 8 in top 100 games of all time as of last year and the highest ranking FF game.

FFVI, IV's my second fave FF though.

silentenigma
09-17-2007, 01:03 AM
FFVI because it's more fun.

Bolivar
09-21-2007, 05:36 AM
And this is where I make the comment that FFVI is number 8 in top 100 games of all time as of last year and the highest ranking FF game.

you of course mean on only 1 american website. In Japan it's not even the best 2d FF...

Rengori
09-21-2007, 05:45 AM

you of course mean on only 1 american website. In Japan it's not even the best 2d FF...Both of you, stop trying to use other people's opinions to tell the other person what he/she should like more.

Besides, their game shows are evidence enough that Japan is bat fuck insane.

Wolf Kanno
09-21-2007, 07:17 AM
I really love both games. VI will always be my favorite though. IV is my second favorite though.

Both had wonderful casts, good villains, excellent music, and memorable scenes. Despite how others may think, I still fell they have aged better than some of the other FFs and easily blow most of the recent entries into the series out of the water.;)

Heath
09-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Tough choice. I think VI edges it for me. I really enjoyed both games but I think I just about prefer VI. I enjoyed the storyline in VI more and the characters as well as the gameplay and music were superior in my view. IV is a definitely one of my favourite games, I just like VI more.

Sefie1999AD
09-21-2007, 07:52 PM
I prefer FFIV to FFVI. IMHO, the only area where FFVI might beat FFIV is the music. While I think both games focus on storyline rather than gameplay, I think FFIV does better in both areas. FFIV's medieval fantasy world with unique character jobs and other fantasy elements also help a lot in FFIV. :) Finally, while Zeromus and Kefka may both be "Hate! Hate! Hate!" emo characters, I really prefer Golbez to Kefka when it comes to villains.

Setzer Gabianni
09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
FFVI. I mean, I know FFIV had the 4 emperors and all but...VI had the lovable flirt Edgar and his Chainsaw based attacks <3

Araciel
09-25-2007, 10:59 AM
six. less is more when it comes to airships.