PDA

View Full Version : How long/often do you study?

blackmage_nuke
09-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I only study for about 1-2 hours the night before an exam, and some cramming the morning of the exam and even then only for exams i feel that i dont know the content. Normally i run around before an exam on info gathering missions milking students for their knowledge without their knowing.

This topic can include study habits as well as times

So without further ado

[Witty joke here]

and 306

Jimsour
09-17-2007, 08:10 AM
I try not to cram stuff in, it doesnt work for me. I know loads about the subjects I do anyway (politics, film) and read a lot about them in my free time so its barely studying.

I do cram before my Japanese language exams though (part of my course) and try and practise it as much as possible on language forums and writing on paper.

nik0tine
09-17-2007, 08:44 AM
I didn't study for one single, solitary test in highschool. Only a complete fool would spend their time studying for schoolwork. It's easy enough as it is.

However, I 'study' music for about four hours every day, at least. I don't have any exams to pass, or any grades to earn. Studying is one of the greatest, most rewarding things on the face of this earth, so long as you aren't being forced to do it by some first year, second rate public school teacher.

Resha
09-17-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm so much of a procrastinator, I do cram. But...eh. I usually get most of my studying done at night, before going to bed. I usually consider my HOMEWORK "studying".

'owever I do kick myself off the net during exam time, to create fewer distractions. I don't get very much studying done then too ;p

theundeadhero
09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Never ever ever. I'm with Nikotine. I had better things to do with my time, like work or have fun with friends.

Fonzie
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Never ever ever. I'm with Nikotine. I had better things to do with my time, like work or have fun with friends.

That, and I already know how to do everything, so studying is really not necessary.

Shiny
09-17-2007, 10:39 PM
I either don't study, or study right before I'm about to take the test usually and it tends to pay off. If it's a major exam then I study for about an hour, or 15 minutes a day for two days.

Jessweeee♪
09-17-2007, 11:12 PM
I never ever study...it shows in some classes :p

Chemical
09-18-2007, 12:33 AM
It's recommended by psychologists that in order to retain information you should read the material three times.

Once to get an over picture
Twice to understand it
Thrice to remember

I'm also suggesting, as a prisoner of higher education for the past 4 years, that you get in the habbit of reading it atleast twice and on the second time you make brief notes for review purposes.

Also a lot of classes now seem to offer online content as well as reading material - It's always beneficial to find working models that visualize the material to create a deeper understanding of it.

Personally with all the time I spend double reading the material, making and re writing notes, reviewing notes, and taking online quizes on the material... I probably spend 6 - 8 hours studying per class.

Miriel
09-18-2007, 09:22 AM
I am the best cram studier I know.

I can go an entire semester without ever cracking open a book, then tear into it and devour it the night before the exam and then do remarkably well on the test.

I procrastinate, always. So intense, panicky cram sessions are just about the only way I've studied for the past... 7 years.

Rengori
09-18-2007, 11:43 PM
I didn't study for one single, solitary test in highschool. Only a complete fool would spend their time studying for schoolwork. It's easy enough as it is.

However, I 'study' music for about four hours every day, at least. I don't have any exams to pass, or any grades to earn. Studying is one of the greatest, most rewarding things on the face of this earth, so long as you aren't being forced to do it by some first year, second rate public school teacher.Take this and reduce music to three hours a day.

Goldenboko
09-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I studied for one math test in 7th grade for an hour, I failed that test, I haven't studied since.

PuPu
09-19-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm good at understanding material and paying attention in class, so I never usually need to study in order to get an A on any quiz or test. Midterms and Finals are another story though, and I study quite a lot for them.

rubah
09-19-2007, 03:39 AM
I study when I don't understand something.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-19-2007, 03:55 AM
In high school, I barely studied. It usually consisted of cramming the night before and that morning to remember specific terms and their spelling and such (terms in biology, or dates in social studies, etc...). I am a big procrastinator and love to cram. From my own experience the best way to study is to explain it to someone else. In high school, I always had friends or classmates asking me to either explain something or review a topic. I found that in doing so it helped me remember the subject better and be more familiar with it.

In university, I tend to have the same study habits minus people asking for help. That resulted in average marks. I am trying to do more work so that I can bring up my GPA. So I want to try to do about an hour but at the moment I am doing less.

EDIT: Chemical scares me. She is a studying fiend.

Woodinator
09-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Eh I don't really have the ability or need to study...or at least I haven't, basically all i needed to do was read over notes real quick minutes before a test and i was good... although i did kinda study for an hour before my AP exams... got me a 5 in chem so maybe i should study more often haha XD

idk i'll probably start now that i'm in college...i'm actually doing reading homework now which i never did in highschool

Jess
09-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I never really studied at for exams school. I do a lot of work at home now I'm at college, though -- because my course includes lots of essays and assignments. I still do no revision, though, but that's because I don't have exams in my course, it's all based on coursework~ :jess:

The Unknown Guru
09-19-2007, 11:30 PM
I have never studied in my life and I don't plan to. Who needs to study when they're "teaching" stuff you learned in 6th grade?

Plus, I'm a genius.

Shlup
09-20-2007, 05:54 AM
I usually study while I'm walking to class. I've never done any assigned reading ever.

Chemical
09-20-2007, 02:43 PM
In high school, I barely studied. It usually consisted of cramming the night before and that morning to remember specific terms and their spelling and such (terms in biology, or dates in social studies, etc...). I am a big procrastinator and love to cram. From my own experience the best way to study is to explain it to someone else. In high school, I always had friends or classmates asking me to either explain something or review a topic. I found that in doing so it helped me remember the subject better and be more familiar with it.

In university, I tend to have the same study habits minus people asking for help. That resulted in average marks. I am trying to do more work so that I can bring up my GPA. So I want to try to do about an hour but at the moment I am doing less.

EDIT: Chemical scares me. She is a studying fiend.

I deffinately wasn't always like this.

In high school I cram studied the night before until I feel asleep in a pile of my own drool then I would Drink a pot of coffee and read on my way to school and read at the desk until the tests were handed out.

But as I said - after going to university for 4 years I find out that I really can't do that anymore and to be honest its a lot less stressful when I manage my time better and I do, do a lot better on my tests.

Heath
09-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Depends on the time of year. If I've got exams coming up within the next few months I'll study a fair bit. In the months coming up to my exams in May (say, from February), I generally revised for between 2-3 hours a week. Some subjects, for example History, I do a lot of reading outside of lessons online anyway (I can lose entire evenings just reading about stuff on Wikipedia, for example), so that's easy to revise for. I tend to revise at a pace, as well as cramming at the last minute. I know it doesn't help in the long-run, but I'd much rather be doing something intensive in the hope I remember one or two extra things for the next morning.

Hazzard
09-21-2007, 11:02 PM
I need to start up a schedule when I revise, because at the moment I'm just being too lazy and unmotivated.

Northcrest
09-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Science (Almost never I always make an A)
Math (about 10-20 mins if what I'm studying is hard)
Language Arts (30 mins my worst subject)
Spanish (20mins because its high school credit)
Speech (Haven't yet even though its another high school credit class)
Texas history (10-20 mins if I have to learn something)

Kirobaito
09-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Unfortunately I cannot start studying until like 11 at night (for example, it's 2 AM now and I have to read some Thomas Aquinas, write a reflection over it, and come up with a paper topic before 9 AM tomorrow), and go from there for as long as I need to. Even when I do study, I take a lot of breaks, but it's normally between 1 and 2 hours a night.

Yamaneko
09-24-2007, 08:56 AM
I crammed throughout college and made it out with a good GPA.

I don't cram language classes, though.

Araciel
09-25-2007, 10:28 AM
never

i used to be accused of having a near-eidetic memory.

Polaris
09-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Normally I study one week all day before the exam... if it's english or german... if it's literature I study along the year or semester in this case... ^^

Pouring Rain
10-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Well, usually I don't cram, but I sometimes I do for like, Biology and all that. I sort of think of my homework as studying, though, since it'll be on the test.

Seraphic
10-09-2007, 04:18 AM
Yeah I tend to use my homework as studying time,so I end up leaving it for right before my test to do,lol
It helps to remember ^^

MKusanagi
10-14-2007, 05:55 PM

However, I 'study' music for about four hours every day, at least. I don't have any exams to pass, or any grades to earn. Studying is one of the greatest, most rewarding things on the face of this earth, so long as you aren't being forced to do it by some first year, second rate public school teacher.

Yeah, me too. High school was easy. And ridiculous. BUt now in college I've carried those bad habits with me. And so I failed a class last year and I'm struggling so keep this in mind, highschoolers, schoolwork may be dumb but do it so you'll have that habit on your side for college. Oh, answer to question: (sadly) when I feel motivated (which isn't often)

NeoTifa
10-14-2007, 08:53 PM
whats this "study" thing you speak of? my profs say that word too, but ive nvr done it... i guess i need to figure it out now that im in college. im getting boned in my classes

JackNapier
10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Well I'm in grade 10 and 1-2 weeks is usually great for me.

MKusanagi
10-15-2007, 12:48 AM
whats this "study" thing you speak of? my profs say that word too, but ive nvr done it... i guess i need to figure it out now that im in college. im getting boned in my classes
Oh no, Neotifa! Are you a me in progress. I failed a 4 credit class last year which put me behind. You've got to study, girl! I may never be able to do it but you better! :) Oh no! And you are a server! I was a server my first year. I'm experiencing massive deja vu!