PDA

View Full Version : The Wheel of Time stops...

Captain Maxx Power
09-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I have grave news for everyone who is a fan of the Wheel of Time books; Robert Jordan, the genius behind one of our modern day fantasy classics, died yesterday due to ongoing complications with primary amyloidosis, a disease he has struggled with for some time now. He lived well past his projected life expectancy, even optimistic about writing further WoT prequels in the future. His final book will be finished by his close friends and family using notes he compiled for this eventuality, a fact he was all the more aware of. But rather than dropping into despair he used his last days to finish off his masterpiece of literature, the Wheel of Time. He will be sorely missed by those of us who were fans of his work.

More details can be found here. (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/09/17/obit.jordan.ap/index.html)

Araciel
09-18-2007, 11:57 AM
a crying shame.

Resha
09-18-2007, 01:16 PM
;_;

oh jesus.

:heart: and RIP.

Gopher Gamble
09-18-2007, 01:45 PM
My friend called me about this yesterday and we had to observe a moment of silence that was broken when I had to say dang it!

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Noooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!!! :(

Robert Jordan... you were the creator of one of the best book series ever made. WoT forever!

Heath
09-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh wow, I'm really surprised. Never expected anything like this to happen. Shame too, despite his love of long, long descriptions he was a great writer. He'll be sorely missed.

Nominus Experse
09-18-2007, 06:47 PM
God dammit... There goes another writer I love...

escobert
09-18-2007, 07:49 PM
wow, I was not excpecting this, I wasn't a bit Wheel of Time fan but still that's crazyness

CloudDragon
09-19-2007, 12:32 AM
The Wheel of Time series brought me into leisure reading. This is truly a great tragedy. RIP

starseeker
09-19-2007, 07:26 PM
OMG, I loved his books. It's a shame, I can't phrase how I feel.

Big D
09-19-2007, 08:23 PM
He will be greatly missed.

It might seem selfish to bring it up, but I can't help wondering what'll become of his unfinished final work. Sure it'll be released eventually, but in what form?
Personally, I'd like to see the final Wheel of Time novel completed by another author or authors. But in their own style, not Jordan's. When someone tries to write in someone else's style, it usually feels like imitation or parody. That's why I reckon it'd be best for the WoT conclusion to be a truly collaborative effort, with the reader told who's written the final text of each chapter. That'd be fitting, I think.

Captain Maxx Power
09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
He will be greatly missed.

It might seem selfish to bring it up, but I can't help wondering what'll become of his unfinished final work. Sure it'll be released eventually, but in what form?
Personally, I'd like to see the final Wheel of Time novel completed by another author or authors. But in their own style, not Jordan's. When someone tries to write in someone else's style, it usually feels like imitation or parody. That's why I reckon it'd be best for the WoT conclusion to be a truly collaborative effort, with the reader told who's written the final text of each chapter. That'd be fitting, I think.

From what I know RJ had already compiled all of the notes necessary to complete the book, and the intention was for his widow, Harriet, to finish it off. We can only speculate how much work he had already done. From what I've read in interviews at the very least he's had the ending wrote for almost two decades now, so even if parts don't do the series justice, at least the conclusion will be entirely RJ's work.

41-Inches-Wide
09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'M STILL WAITING FOR A SEPARATE BOOK ALL ABOUT THE AES SEDAI!!
AND MAYBE A LEMON ABOUT MINxRAND!

RIP, YOU GENIUS.

Big D
09-20-2007, 08:34 PM
From what I know RJ had already compiled all of the notes necessary to complete the book, and the intention was for his widow, Harriet, to finish it off. We can only speculate how much work he had already done. From what I've read in interviews at the very least he's had the ending wrote for almost two decades now, so even if parts don't do the series justice, at least the conclusion will be entirely RJ's work.Well, that was splendid of him, and thanks for bringing it up here.

I'm quite amazed at Jordan's humbleness about his illness. He found out that he was probably going to die decades earlier than he should, but he seems to have a spent a great deal of his remaining time ensuring that his story would get completed so that the fans wouldn't be left hanging. That's an admirably selfless gesture.

Flying Mullet
09-20-2007, 08:50 PM
[I'm quite amazed at Jordan's humbleness about his illness. He found out that he was probably going to die decades earlier than he should, but he seems to have a spent a great deal of his remaining time ensuring that his story would get completed so that the fans wouldn't be left hanging. That's an admirably selfless gesture.
I guess this is why his bio at the back of his books always ends with "He has been writing since 1977 and intends to continue until they nail shut his coffin."

Vincent, Thunder God
09-22-2007, 04:34 AM
I knew of his illness but I'd heard a short time ago that his condition had improved greatly and that the levels of the illness-related fluids in his blood had gone down to safe levels, so I'm quite surprised that he's died. I hope that most of his last Wheel of Time novel is written by him so that it doesn't feel like another writer tried to emulate his style and failed.

It's dissapointing considering he had plans for many more books that he said would take him 30 more years to write. It's a shame that he didn't start at a younger age so that we could read more of them. I was interested in his plans for a new series that would be shorter and more to the point, and completely different from WoT. I was anticipating it's start to see what it would be like. I've always enjoyed WoT, though it's too bad that it became too meandering for it's own good. Still, Jordan had started repairing the series with Book 11 and I'm sure his work on Book 12 will be very good.