PDA

View Full Version : Anime Conventions!

Wolf Kanno
09-19-2007, 10:06 AM
So I recently returned from an anime convention I've gone to for almost nine years now (lord I feel old) and I bring back stories and revelations! (don't worry their will be topic at the end but I need to rant)

Popular anime series to cosplay as this year: Bleach (I'm guilty for this as well since I dressed as Kensuke Urahara)

Surprise anime: Naruto (cause it died out since last year) and Ranma 1/2 ( which had a larger turn out than usual)

Popular videogame series to cosplay as this year: FFVII (game and AC) and Resident Evil zombies!

Surprise videogame: FFX and X-2(which drastically dwindles to non- existent this year) and FF Red Mage (not very common to see at this convention and I spotted at least three!:eek: )

Best Costume: Fox Chakra Naruto

New Popular series this year: Death Note, Fate/Stay the Night, and The Melancholy of Haruhi whatser name

Hours of sleep: 4, the whole weekend...

Best Cosply skit: Don't know, since I didn;t enter I didn't bother to watch them this year

Best Guest: Spike Spencer (Shinji Ikari) he's a blast!

Hotel curfew: Lame

Food of choice: Wendy's or the new liquor store that opened next to it. Mostly cause Chipotle is a nother block away.

Favorite Merch: Too many to say but probably the Special Edtion Irresponsible Captian Tylor Box sets I picked up. Also a repalcement T-Shirt for the one I got my first time I attended the convention in 99.

Fanboy Merch: FFIV Advance (never opened, currently playing:love: ), FFVIJ (with box and manual, now I only need an adapter and Super Famicom:love: ) a figurine of Kefka Pilazzo (staring at me now and sending godly wrath down upon FFVIII figurine below on my desk:love: )

Fondest Memory: Being kidnapped by a group of Bleach cosplayers I never met to eat at Wendys. Made a few new friends this year it seems.

Bed of Choice: Hotel floor...beds are for losers.

AMV song stuck in my head: Code Monkey and Leave Out All The Rest

Plans for next year: Get costumes actually finished :eep: , reserve hotel room instead of relying on acquatences and being stuck in a room with six guys :cry: . Get my friends together to actually perform "Snake Rhapsody"! :cool: Actually have enough money to spend more in Dealers room:twocents:. Bring my own alcohol cause my friends are losers that only drink Rum :mad2: Go to Karaoke like I always say I will :sing: Get less sleep :x_x: and actually spend time going to panels:eek:

So what do you think about conventions? What are your plans for ones your going to?

charliepanayi
09-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I really enjoy anime conventions in the UK - there aren't many and they're relatively small, but usually great fun. I went to two this year - Minami (which is in Southampton) in March and Amecon (which is in Leicester) in August. Both were enjoyable and I had fun there with my friends. I'm planning to go to the same two again in 2008.

StarlightAngel
09-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I plan to head to Sakura-con in March of 2008, and apparently my Pleinair costume is nearly done =D I can't wait!

Sakura-con is probably the biggest event for me all year. I save up for the thing so I can buy spiffy plushies and stuff there, and it's always fun to watch the skits, karaoke, and live chess X3

Peegee
09-19-2007, 06:59 PM
There's an anime/sci fi/horror/gaming/comic convention I go to every year, but there's also Anime North that's up in Barrie or some such thing. I stay the hell away from that because the place scares me T_T

Faris
09-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Personally, I don't go to any Anime Conventions. However, most of my friends are going to AC³ (http://www.ac-cubed.ca/)

Jess
09-19-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't go to anime conventions~

Renmiri
09-20-2007, 02:40 AM
I did a panel on FFXII on this year's ACEN in Chicago, little do the participants knew how much I bitch about the story ;)

I loved the costume evenings, me and my kids went as Zelda and FFX characters and got asked to pose for pictures a lot!

It was all very much fun, but there were some crazy guys out there !

http://ffproject.net/forumwiki/images/thumb/800px-Acen9.jpg

Rengori
09-21-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm not that big of a nerd.

Araciel
09-21-2007, 09:58 AM
we went to fanexpo during the canadian meetup. it was a multiplatform that pretty much included everything nerdy. there was some anime stuff, but most of it was vendors and costumes. the big thing was gaming

LunarWeaver
09-22-2007, 12:37 AM
I've never been to one, but I really want to go someday. I'm not sure I would dress up because it costs munniez and I'm really lazy. I might toss on a white shirt and jeans and go "I'M L FROM DEATH NOTE, ROFL". L and I do sadly weigh just about the same.

Northcrest
09-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Wow in my neighbor hood there is another Anime Convention. But it cost $27.00 to get in. So I'm probably not going.

Renmiri
09-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I've never been to one, but I really want to go someday. I'm not sure I would dress up because it costs munniez and I'm really lazy. I might toss on a white shirt and jeans and go "I'M L FROM DEATH NOTE, ROFL". L and I do sadly weigh just about the same.

Just get yourself a pair of cat ears from any kid's store and you're set. A furry tail and makeup whiskers wouldn't hurt either.

Trouble is you would be a hit with furries :p

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Fun fact about those Yaoi Paddles. Sakura con got them banned from I think most American cons due to our beating each other with them and general rambunctious behavior.

I'm already preregistered for Sakura con 2008. I'll be cosplaying once again, and hopefully doing a skit which should be quite amazing.

rubah
09-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Apparently there's going to be an anime con in arkansas this year :OOO I'm kinda stoked

The Unknown Guru
09-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Anybody know any anime cons near Seattle? I would like to go to one sometime.

I would go as V and everyone would say "lol noob V isnt anime," and I would say, "Shut up. I haven't seen any anime starring Fat Kid in T-Shirt."

Renmiri
09-23-2007, 09:14 PM
A lot of people go as game characters. See the Sephy boy with the yaoi paddle above.

StarlightAngel
09-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Anybody know any anime cons near Seattle? I would like to go to one sometime.

I would go as V and everyone would say "lol noob V isnt anime," and I would say, "Shut up. I haven't seen any anime starring Fat Kid in T-Shirt."

Sakura-con (http://sakuracon.org/)

It's at the Washington State Convention Center, and will be taking place in March of 2008. 'Void and I are already pre-registered =X

Peegee
09-24-2007, 02:55 PM
"Shut up. I haven't seen any anime starring Fat Kid in T-Shirt."

Nothing comes to mind but I'm sure there's such thing. *thinks really hard*

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Just get yourself a pair of cat ears from any kid's store and you're set. A furry tail and makeup whiskers wouldn't hurt either.

Trouble is you would be a hit with furries :p

I could totally see Lunar as L from Death Note.

He could be a Loveless character if he is going for the cat ears and all.

I've never been to a con. T_T Concordia's Anime Club had a con this summer but I kinda only remembered about it when I saw people outside it on my way to work. There is also Anime North in Toronto that if all goes well this May I will be going with a friend! I wouldn't cosplay though, I was never a fan of dress-up as a kid.