PDA

View Full Version : Why did Square do it?

MJN SEIFER
09-19-2007, 02:18 PM
This game has more references to FF History than any of it's precesors, sometimes in plot lines but also as just casual references such as Cloud's sword or some of the items in the auction being FF III related.

It's cool but what made Square go mad with refrences? Was FFIX suposed to be the last game, but then someone decided to keep going?

Karellen
09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
FFIX was originally supposed to be a side game designed to act as a collaboration of elements from all the FF titles before it (the quintessential Final Fantasy, in other words). They later decided to give it a place in the actual series for whatever reason. The concept for FFX was already being worked on while FFIX was in production so no, they definitely never intended it to be the last FF game.

Vivisteiner
09-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I think that the plot and characters were originally less developed. As Karellen said, the game was just supposed to be a tribute. But as they continued to make it, the concepts, characters and plot continued to grow until it became a fully fledged Final Fantasy. But the kept the original tribute references.

TheSpoonyBard
09-19-2007, 05:58 PM
It was the last on the PS1...

Quindiana Jones
09-19-2007, 08:10 PM

That's what I heard.

Due to the fact that it was the last PS1 FF, they put a load of tributinesses in it. Then they thought: "For PS2, we'll make our games suck! (compared to the PS1 ones)".

Jolly good.

Crizpy
09-19-2007, 10:23 PM

That's what I heard.

Due to the fact that it was the last PS1 FF, they put a load of tributinesses in it. Then they thought: "For PS2, we'll make our games suck! (compared to the PS1 ones)".

Jolly good.
QTF!

cloud21zidane16
09-19-2007, 11:31 PM

That's what I heard.

Jolly good.

that sounds pretty accurate to me lol:p

Jessweeee♪
09-20-2007, 01:54 AM
I am way too obsessed with FFX...I literally felt like crying when I read that :exdee:

Heath
09-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I always thought that because it was the last one on the Playstation and number ten as well as the Playstation 2 would lead on to something different and a departure from the main series and so they decided to give it one last hurrah. You guys saying that FFIX was originally meant to be a tribute and not a full game is the first I've ever heard of that.

MJN SEIFER
09-20-2007, 01:42 PM
I see. Thanks for answering me people.

persephonehermione
09-20-2007, 03:26 PM
For me, it was the very first FF that I'd played. So I obviously didn't get the references the first time around.

Also I believe it's one of the best plots and character sets out of the entire series.

FFX was ok, but it was very linear in what to do. There wasn't very much chance to go outside the playing field to do anything purely interesting. Although I love Yuna out of that game!

Personally I love the references, as when I play other games and hear smoething that reminds me of IX I get all nostalgic!

Persephone Hermione x

ReloadPsi
09-20-2007, 09:43 PM
It's kinda like what they did with FFXII (getting a completely different team working on the game) only the team that worked on FFIX did the exact opposite of what would be done with FFXII in that FFIX does indeed incorporate elements of so many games while FFXII just has the spells and equipment.

Oh great, I said in an earlier post that I was going to use arabic numerals for the sake of ease from now on :P Guess that lasted.

Vermachtnis
09-20-2007, 09:50 PM
You mean they didn't do it just do it? :(

No.78
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
FFIX was originally supposed to be a side game designed to act as a collaboration of elements from all the FF titles before it (the quintessential Final Fantasy, in other words). They later decided to give it a place in the actual series for whatever reason. The concept for FFX was already being worked on while FFIX was in production so no, they definitely never intended it to be the last FF game.

This is interesting because Crystal Chronicles uses alot of the same monster models as 9, and it is a tribute kind of game.

Rostum
10-06-2007, 02:26 AM
It's kinda like what they did with FFXII (getting a completely different team working on the game) only the team that worked on FFIX did the exact opposite of what would be done with FFXII in that FFIX does indeed incorporate elements of so many games while FFXII just has the spells and equipment.

Except, you know, FFXII was set in Ivalice so it has a lot of references to FFT and FFTA...