PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy and Religion

Forsaken Lover
09-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I was just wondering if the creators like Sakaguchi have ever commented on their beliefs (if they have any)?

Or if not that, if you think any sort of religious undertones have made it into the FF series.

Kinda inspired by the Biblical Framework of FFX Essay though i personally don't agree with that assessment. it does have some good points.

Laddy
09-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Definetly. It's so obviously implied to be in there.

Bolivar
09-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I was just wondering if the creators like Sakaguchi have ever commented on their beliefs (if they have any)?

Or if not that, if you think any sort of religious undertones have made it into the FF series.

Kinda inspired by the Biblical Framework of FFX Essay though i personally don't agree with that assessment. it does have some good points.

where'd you find that essay?

There are alot of religious references in the games as all of them have taken concepts from different cultures and implemented it into Square's interpretation of the world. shiva and ifrit from buddhism, odin from norse mythology, then you got Canaan, the tower of babel, alot of stuff.

I'm not sure about undertones in other games, but FFVII actually has a pretty serious Kaballistic undertone to it, and alot of the things in that game are all about that.

'+FFVII Analysis' (http://biphome.spray.se/indish/analys.htm)

Check pt. III for how deep it goes, although I think alot of it towards the end is him/her reading into it way too much.

Vivisteiner
09-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I think he's wondering what Sakaguchi's personal beliefs are.

Nifleheim7
09-19-2007, 11:52 PM

where'd you find that essay?

I think he means this one:
http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x/80183-300-pages-about-final-fantasy-x-mythology.html
Renmiri posted this a long time ago...I wanted to read it but 300 pages was kinda too much:(

Forsaken Lover
09-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm actually talking about this.

WikiEoFF | Main > TheBiblicalFrameworkOfFFX (http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/Main/TheBiblicalFrameworkOfFFX)

Bolivar
09-20-2007, 03:28 AM
I'm actually talking about this.

WikiEoFF | Main > TheBiblicalFrameworkOfFFX (http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/Main/TheBiblicalFrameworkOfFFX)

I just read that. While I think the game parallels rather than actual being founded on that, it still made for a remarkable read and the theme of sacrifice in the name of love is apparent.

Wolf Kanno
09-20-2007, 04:17 AM
The closest you get to hear about Sakeguchi's personal beliefs are in his interviews for FFVII and FF: The Spirits Within.

He worked on VII's plot while he was thinking about his mother's death and that's where the whole Lifestream thing came from apparently. Though this does not necessarily mean it's his personal belief. I feel VII has deeper Buddhist and Taoist undertones than Kabbilist though...

Bolivar
09-21-2007, 05:41 AM
I feel VII has deeper Buddhist and Taoist undertones than Kabbilist though...

Were you waiting for someone to ask you to elaborate?

Wolf Kanno
09-21-2007, 06:55 AM

Not really, just posting my thoughts.:p

Just that both of these religions deal with a concepts where the lifestream comes into play. To be honest, the lifestream can easily be thought of as the Tao. Basically the concept of all life being connected to each other. It's a very Taoist philosophy.

Bolivar
09-21-2007, 09:14 PM

Not really, just posting my thoughts.:p

Just that both of these religions deal with a concepts where the lifestream comes into play. To be honest, the lifestream can easily be thought of as the Tao. Basically the concept of all life being connected to each other. It's a very Taoist philosophy.

well that's true, but the influence from the kabbalah has more to do with the structure of the game, it's not on the surface like other religious undertones are.