PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Auron Act as Though His Arm is in a Sling?

Peter_20
09-19-2007, 08:02 PM
At first I thought he'd broken it while he was doing that adventure ten years ago, but then I notice how he uses both arms pretty often.
So why does he pretend that it's broken or whatever?

ReloadPsi
09-19-2007, 08:19 PM
It's something ronins do. A ronin is a samurai without a master, and keeping your arm in a sling is a symbol of that.

Auron originally had some association with the Warrior Monks (I believe he was one), but ended up leaving, then joining Braska for his pilgrimage. After Braska died summoning the Final Aeon, Auron was now technically without a master. This of course leaves a hole in the plot you could drive a truck through: Why didn't he unsling it after becoming Yuna's guardian?

FFX clearly has no actual samurai, but it seems that they're trying to follow the overall principle.

Peter_20
09-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Alright, thanks.

Sometimes I actually pretend having a broken arm, because I really like having it lying around like that; it's pretty comfortable.

Bolivar
09-19-2007, 10:30 PM
It's something ronins do. A ronin is a samurai without a master, and keeping your arm in a sling is a symbol of that.

Auron originally had some association with the Warrior Monks (I believe he was one), but ended up leaving, then joining Braska for his pilgrimage. After Braska died summoning the Final Aeon, Auron was now technically without a master. This of course leaves a hole in the plot you could drive a truck through: Why didn't he unsling it after becoming Yuna's guardian?

FFX clearly has no actual samurai, but it seems that they're trying to follow the overall principle.

the jug he carries around is also to be symbolic of that.... i think. im not sure but i remember there being a few things about that.

Renmiri
09-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Auron spends the entire game feeling "not worthy" because he let Braska and Jecht die. That is his ronin cross to bear and that is why, if anything, he would only stop wearing his arm on a sling after he defeated Sin and freed Jecht.

Hazzard
09-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Auron's the best character in the world. That's why.

Zechs
09-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Just for another perspective. He could have sustained a majority of his lethal injury on his left side, and since it wasn't meant to heal, may have not healed correctly, thus restraining his arm a bit. Or causing him pain .

Renmiri
09-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Nope, he uses his arm just fine in battle. It is a ronin symbol. Their honor is "damaged" because they allowed their master to die so they walk around like they have a damaged sword arm.

Peter_20
09-21-2007, 08:06 PM
It's actually very comfortable to be walking around with one of your arms like that, at least if it feels rested.

Try it. :p

ReloadPsi
09-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Unfortunate side effect: That arm will get weaker if you keep doing that.

Jimsour
09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
When he became Yunas guardian it was out of a promise to another person, not out of choice as much as it could have been, it was something that had to be done. Also the nature of Braska would tell me that he didnt see Auron as inferior and the three (jecht included) where friends and not a master-defender relationship.

I suppose his faith in Yevon has something to do with it too, once he learnt the truth it destroyed his faith.

And he did take a nasty tumble against yunalesca too!

Tabris
09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I suppose his faith in Yevon has something to do with it too, once he learnt the truth it destroyed his faith.

So out of curiousity... do we see him with his arm in a sling after we learn the truth about the Yevon church?

Renmiri
09-22-2007, 06:46 PM

So out of curiousity... do we see him with his arm in a sling after we learn the truth about the Yevon church?

Yes, he learned it before he died, no ? He saw Braska die in vain and knows Jecht turned into Sin.

Jimsour
09-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Yes. He already knew everything that was going to happen up to the point before you fight Yunalesca where it came down to Yunas decision.

I read a bit about Ronin, they where also hired as mercenaries, which is similar to Aurons role in a way.

Tabris
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
He knew that the guardian who turned into the Final Aeon would die, and he knew that Braska would die - this is common knowledge for all Yevonites. He had no knowledge of the machina deep down in the Bevelle, neither did he know of the corrupt Maesters. So I disagree with the statement that Auron knew the truth about the Yevon church prior to Yuna's pilgrimage.

Forsaken Lover
09-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Auron's exact line to Yunalesca was "where is the sense in all this?!" Everyone besides the Maesters and Yunalesca had the idea that Sin COULD evetnaully be defeated and be gone. That a Final Summoning would eventually rid Sin forever and not just bring the "false hope".

Auron, like the party,saw the Final Summoning for pointless murdering. And since it was murdering of the two people he cared about most, he was rather upset.

Hazzard
09-23-2007, 09:19 AM
I definitely think Auron had his suspicions about Yevons activities, but this was after he came to being Yuna's guardian; he obviously knew that they were corrupted in some sort, but knew making an outburst wouldn't be the right time to do so. He played along as long as he could until he reached Yunalesca, that's when he sought the feeling to let everyone in the party know the truth, even about himself.

The left arm sling is like Renmiri has said, it was never damaged and I get the feeling that once a person has died, and if they are brought back to life, all their pains and aches are cleansed from them; Auron probably decided that he wanted himself to age in appearance, unlike Seymour and the elderly Maester, he wanted it to look believable that he had once been on a treacherous journey, that's why he has the scars and such.

Tabris
09-23-2007, 11:15 AM
But wasn't it from Yunalesca they learned that Sin will always come back? Or was it from Bevelle? (I really need to replay this game yet again!) Anyhow, Auron didn't know that Sin would always come back before Yuna's pilgrimage.

Hazzard
09-23-2007, 11:25 AM
But wasn't it from Yunalesca they learned that Sin will always come back? Or was it from Bevelle? (I really need to replay this game yet again!) Anyhow, Auron didn't know that Sin would always come back before Yuna's pilgrimage.

It was quite early in the game when everyone knew that knowledge, maybe near the middle, all the guardians and even Tidus knew of Sin returning, and that the Calm would last for ten years after Sin's been vanquished.

The whole of the people in Spira were aware of Sin returning, how could you forget that? :p

Jimsour
09-23-2007, 12:23 PM
He knew that the guardian who turned into the Final Aeon would die, and he knew that Braska would die - this is common knowledge for all Yevonites. He had no knowledge of the machina deep down in the Bevelle, neither did he know of the corrupt Maesters. So I disagree with the statement that Auron knew the truth about the Yevon church prior to Yuna's pilgrimage.

Have to disagree. It was common knowledge that the summoner would die after the Final Aeon done its job, but it was not common knowledge that Yunalesca was the one to do the ritual, and it wasnt common knowledge that a guardian had to be the final aeon, everyone but Auron is shocked. Auron was also friends with one of the Maesters before he was a maester and has shown his disgust at the idea, and he would have known about the machina in bevelle because he's been there already with Braska (although he wouldnt have known about the machina part in FFX-2 but the game wasnt planned when they where still making FFX).

In my opinion, up untill the battle with Yunalesca, he knows what is going on. After that he's with the rest of the gang, unsure how to kill Sin but going with his original goal to break the cycle anyway. That was the point of him becomming Yunas guardian.

Hazzard
09-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Was his goal to break the cycle, kill Sin or just release Jecht?

I think he originally wanted to end Sin's reign of terror, but really wanted to help liberate Jecht from it's restrain, but later as the story developed, he wanted to achieve more than that, and actually shrived to find a method to rid Spira of Sin forever.

Tabris
09-23-2007, 02:26 PM
The whole of the people in Spira were aware of Sin returning, how could you forget that? :p

The Yevonites thought that Sin would disappear for good when they had atoned enough for their sins. So I believe everyone hoped that Sin would be gone for good after every Calm. Only Yunalesca and the Maesters knew that Sin would always return.

I was wrong about the Final Aeon, though. No one knew it had to be a guardian, except Auron. But I do not believe that Auron knew about the corrupt head of the Yevon church, neither did he know about Sin always returning nor that Bevelle was filled with machina (I remember him making a sarcastic comment about it in the game).

Hazzard
09-23-2007, 03:49 PM

The Yevonites thought that Sin would disappear for good when they had atoned enough for their sins. So I believe everyone hoped that Sin would be gone for good after every Calm. Only Yunalesca and the Maesters knew that Sin would always return.

I was wrong about the Final Aeon, though. No one knew it had to be a guardian, except Auron. But I do not believe that Auron knew about the corrupt head of the Yevon church, neither did he know about Sin always returning nor that Bevelle was filled with machina (I remember him making a sarcastic comment about it in the game).

Yes, but that's "Hope" and reality is something entirely different. I got the feeling that they all wanted to rejoice in calm, but also wanted Sin to be fully vanquished if they atoned for their Sins, but it was obvious that their goal wouldn't be achieved because life revolves around Sin, even when not intentional.

It was all what Yunalesca said "False Hope" and the Spirians couldn't be brainwashed enough to not realize that Sin would return, especially after 1000 years of fighting the creature.

Auron definitely knew of Sin returning, but this relates to after his confrontation with Yunalesca, cause why would he wait to hitch a ride on Sin after his death? I agree that he probably never knew about Bevelle's machina because he states "Aah, Yevon finally exposes it's true colors..." but he always had his suspicions throughout the whole game of Yevon, and didn't want to associate with them as well.

Vivisteiner
09-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Auron's the third best character in the world. That's why.
Thats a given.

He also does it because it makes him look even more badass.

Tabris
09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, Auron seems quite pragmatic and cynical "after his death". He seemed much more like a loyal warrior monk when he was Braska's guardian. But it was ten years from Braska defeating Sin to he showed up with Tidus. What did he do all that time? Where was he? I know he looked after Tidus, but he wasn't in DZ all the time. Maybe he found out more about the nature of Sin and Yu Yevon in those years?

Renmiri
09-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Auron definitely knew of Sin returning... he always had his suspicions throughout the whole game of Yevon, and didn't want to associate with them as well.

Yes, remember how he was with Kinoc on operation Mihen ? Not friendly at all. He knew it was a futile exercise

Captain Maxx Power
09-23-2007, 11:25 PM
As a joke someone told him I do that, so in reality he was trying to imitate me. Jokes on him; I keep my right arm in a sling.

FF kidfreak
10-13-2007, 04:53 AM
He knew that the guardian who turned into the Final Aeon would die, and he knew that Braska would die - this is common knowledge for all Yevonites. He had no knowledge of the machina deep down in the Bevelle, neither did he know of the corrupt Maesters. So I disagree with the statement that Auron knew the truth about the Yevon church prior to Yuna's pilgrimage

he had to know about yevon and the machina because he went to that temple with braska and jecht(aka sin) he wouldnt of know befor hand but when he is yuna protector he knew