PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some music files

Mythra
09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok, here is my problem. Yesterday I received some music files that have the .mp3 file extension, but for some reason, both itunes and windows media player cannot play these files. I have tried importing other music files that are still .mp3 and these seem to work fine, but for some reason quite a few of them just do not seem able to be played. I even tried a file converter to convert the files to something else and try importing them that way but still no luck. If anyone could please help on this, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

Renmiri
09-20-2007, 02:33 AM
DRM - Digital Rights Management - might be smurfing you up there.

rubah
09-20-2007, 06:05 AM
I don't think I've ever seen an mp3 with drm. . Are you sure they're actually mp3s?

Renmiri
09-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I've got a ton of them from Napster. They allow you to download to play on your PC but the mp3 downloads come with protection so if you copy it to another PC or to a MP3 player they won't play.

Mythra
09-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Ahh ok. That might very well be it. Well thanks for all your guys' help ;)

o_O
09-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Depending on where the mp3s came from, it will be varying degrees of easy to strip the DRM. If you know the source, google for some thing like:
+<source> +drm +strip and you'll find something. The man can try to stop you from listening to them but he can't win. :p

DRM sucks.