PDA

View Full Version : Email Spam Issues

Rostum
09-19-2007, 11:42 PM
My ISP email account (Netspace) is receiving a :skull::skull::skull::skull: load of emails containing absolute gibberish from "GTMailerSender@BJMU.EDU.CN". The only readable thing from it that I can see is "http://host.v528.cn" and "http://dns.v528.cn". (Note, I haven't gone to those websites, so do so at your own risk)

I'd just add it to my junk mail folder, except it is disguising itself as an email from random Netspace email accounts (which I don't want to block).

What do I do? I can't seem to find anything on Google about it.

Lawr
09-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Unless you block them, you're probably screwed.

Rostum
09-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Unless you block them, you're probably screwed.

Gee, nice advice, thanks for reading my post. I basically said that it is using random Netspace emails, so they keep coming through even if I do block and I'm not going to completely block emails from my ISP.

Lawr
09-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Gee, nice advice, thanks for reading my post

YOUR WELCOME.

ValiantKnight
09-20-2007, 01:04 AM
Any similarities in the subjects? Depending on the email client, you might could filter out based on that.

Could try an email filtering program, my dad uses popfile I believe its called. It is a go-between your email server and your email(it downloads email from the server, then your email client downloads from popfile). Then you can go into PoPFile, and mark which messages were spam or personal.

After a few dozen-few hundred messages, it starts learning based on words contained in the email, and in the subject.. which emails are bad, and which are good. You can even put magnets on specific words, so they never can be classified as spam. Then it puts a [spam] or [personal] in front of the email and they arrive in your email like that. Then you can just make a simple message rule so that "[spam]" is forwarded to the trash can, or junk email folder. Then you'd just have to check it the first few times(or if paranoid and don't want to lose anything... all the time) by skimming the junk mail folder, then emptying it.

Rostum
09-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Hmm, that might be the way to go. All the subjects have "GTMailerSender" in them, but I'm not sure how you filter that in Microsoft Outlook.

ValiantKnight
09-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Tools > Rules Wizard > new > rule from template > move message based on content > click the blue underlined "specific words" > enter your words exactly > add > click "specified" next to folder > choose your junk mail folder > Finish

Then try, "run now" and see if it takes care of them.

Rostum
09-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Thanks! :) I have set that up, and hopefully it works.

Edit: Looks like it didn't work. I realised the GTMailerSender is in the From field. Though I changed it to say from senders address, it still doesn't work. Hmm.

o_O
09-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Create a rule that filters emails based on the content of the body of the message. Send it to trash if it contains either of those URLs. I don't know if Outlook can do that since I haven't used it in forver, but spam filtering programs definitely can.

Rostum
09-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Ok, that worked. Thanks heaps guys. :)