PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 Games

Rostum
09-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Alright, so I just ordered Swap Magic 3.8 and now I can import and *cough* download *cough* Playstation 2 games. So I'm wondering which ones I should get? I pretty much want to take this opportunity to fill up my PS2 library.

Games that I have and are on my list to get:

- Final Fantasy 1-12
- Final Fantasy 7: DoC
- Xenosaga 1-3
- Rogue Galaxy
- Valkyrie Profile 2
- Suikoden 3-5
- Dragon Quest 8
- Digital Devil Saga 1-2
- Persona 3
- Kingdom Hearts 1-2
- Star Ocean 3
- Dawn of Mana
- Drakengard 1-2
- Metal Slug Anathology
- Odin Sphere
- Grandia 3
- Psychonauts
- Radiata Stories
- Ratchet and Clank
- Tales of Abyss

Also, I guess we could turn this into a "What PS2 games do you own?" thread. :)

P.S. Did Tales of Symphonia come out on PS2? Or only in Japan?

XxSephirothxX
09-20-2007, 05:33 AM
I recommend you "import" some of those from Blackcats. They don't allow many "importers" to be a part of the club, though.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 05:34 AM
You got tons of great games on that list!

For PS 2, make sure to get FF X, FF XI, FF X-2, FF VII: DoG, and FF XII.

go to metacritic.com/games and do an advanced search for ps 2 rpg's sorted by date with a score higher than maybe 75 and you'll see the top rpg's released. Also, look on gamerankings.com. Search for info on the games from Wikipedia's articles, and watch trailers on youtube and the official websites. There are many top teams of rpg makers for PS 2.

The Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, and Dragon Quest VIII games are pretty popular also. You may want to check out vgchartz.com to find sales charts.

Rostum
09-20-2007, 05:44 AM
I recommend you "import" some of those from Blackcats. They don't allow many "importers" to be a part of the club, though.

I don't understand. :confused:

Edit: Oh wait, now I do. *giggles*

You got tons of great games on that list!

For PS 2, make sure to get FF X, FF XI, FF X-2, FF VII: DoG, and FF XII.

go to metacritic.com/games and do an advanced search for ps 2 rpg's sorted by date with a score higher than maybe 75 and you'll see the top rpg's released. Also, look on gamerankings.com. Search for info on the games from Wikipedia's articles, and watch trailers on youtube and the official websites. There are many top teams of rpg makers for PS 2.

The Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, and Dragon Quest VIII games are pretty popular also. You may want to check out vgchartz.com to find sales charts.

Yes, a lot on the list I put up, I do have. Some I need to import because they weren't released here. (Tales of Abyss is said to get a mid-2008 release here, screw that!)

But yeah, not looking for RPG's specifically, just PS2 games in general.

Larahl
09-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Welcome to the Magical Land of "import."

Odin Sphere
Killer7
Dark Cloud and it's sequel Dark Cloud 2\Dark Chronicle
The Dot Hack series are fun.
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Wild ARMs 3-5
If you liked Ratchet and Clank you should try it's sequels, and also try Sly Cooper and it's sequels, oh, and Jak and Daxter too.
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne\Lucifer's Call
Metal Gear Solid 2-3
Tales of Legendia
Devil May Cry 1-3
Grandia II

Well, that's all what I can think of right now.

Rostum
09-20-2007, 10:47 AM
With the Wild Arms games, are they all related? Or is it more like Final Fantasy, where each game is separate from one another?

Levian
09-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Larahl said it, but I'll say it again, Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicles. Judging from your list of games I think you're going to luv it. If you haven't already played them that is. :p

Other PS2 games I've enjoyed greatly:
Silent Hill series
Clock Tower 3
Destroy All Humans
Resident Evil CVX
GTA: San Andreas
Worms 4: Mayhem

Rostum
09-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Aren't the Dark Cloud games just randomly generated dungeon crawlers? Or is there more to them?

KentaRawr!
09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Ratchet and Clank: Up your Arsenal

All I can think of that's not been recommended already.

JKTrix
09-20-2007, 01:08 PM
My current import obsession is Another Century's Episode (A.C.E.) 3: The Final. (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1u6b-71-r-49-en-15-another+century-84-j-70-23yw.html) It's almost as good as Zone of the Enders 2 (one of the best PS2 games, if you didn't know), with the added fanservice of all those mechs from a bunch of Japanese Giant Robot cartoons.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Eureka 7. ACE3 features 8 units from that series alone. Of course there are Gundams as well--can't have a crossover big-mech game from Bandai/Banpresto without Gundams. A few folks from Macross, and several from shows I'd never seen or heard of previously. In all I believe there are over 100 playable mechs. Great fun.

Larahl
09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
With the Wild Arms games, are they all related? Or is it more like Final Fantasy, where each game is separate from one another?
They're unrelated, just like Final Fantasy.

Dreddz
09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Im not sure if this has changed but you cant play dual layered games with swap magic so you can cross Xenosaga off your list.

Levian
09-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Aren't the Dark Cloud games just randomly generated dungeon crawlers? Or is there more to them?

Is there more to Final Fantasy than random encounters? :D (yes)

The dungeons are only 50% of the game, perhaps less. The other 50% is used to build towns, insert items and people in the house, moving around stuff in the city to please everyone 100% so you can get an awesome item. Pretty much like SoulBlazer if you ever played that for the SNES.

The leveling system is also pretty cool, leveling up weapons and all that. Makes the dungeon part not so boring. There's not much story in this game if that's what you're looking for though, this game is best at gameplay.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 10:48 PM
How similar is Dark Cloud to Alundra 1(like Zelda 3 but with extremely hard puzzles), or for those who are not familiar with that one, how similar is Dark Cloud to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past(Zelda 3)? :)

Levian
09-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Comparing Dark Cloud to games is pretty hard, because there's not really any games that are similar, except soulblazer. It's nothing like any Zelda game, though.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Nothing like Zelda? What about Alundra 1?

How is Dark Cloud 2?

Levian
09-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Never played Alundra, so I wouldn't know. Sorry ;o

Dark Chronicles/Dark Cloud 2 is not too different from Dark Cloud 1, the first change that comes to mind is the graphics, DC2 is anime style, while DC1 is not. A bit more focus on story in DC2 also, and it's also enhanced the leveling system a bit. Bunch of sidequests too, a lot more than DC1. It's a good game, but I still prefer DC1. Just something special about that game. :D

There's a wiki page on it here: Dark Cloud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Cloud)

It says it's similar to Zelda, but I really don't think it is. :D

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:10 PM
How long are Dark Cloud 1 and Dark Cloud 2, with and without sidequests?

Levian
09-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh, they're pretty long. In DC there's 5 towns you have to build up, 6 dungeons you have to go through, as well as a bonus dungeon. It doesn't sound very much, but it takes much time to through each of these towns and dungeons. I'm pretty bad with estimating hours, but maybe 40 hours or so? I don't know.

I'm not even half way on DC2, so I wouldn't know that, but I think it's longer than DC1. With sidequests it'll definitely be longer.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:21 PM
40 hours doesn't seem too long, it's close to standard or slightly lower for a PS 1 rpg right?

I've played tons of Snes rpg's and the average length was 20-25 hours. I haven't beaten enough PS 1 and PS 2 rpg's to know the average length of them though.

Should I rent Dark Cloud 1 and Dark Cloud 2? Just kidding, I may rent them in a few weeks! :D

Levian
09-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't think you'll regret it ;)

Zeromus_X
09-21-2007, 12:23 AM
The Tales of Symphonia PS2 port was Japan-only, unfortunately. :/

Other than that, you've pretty much listed every game I would have recommended. :p

Lawr
09-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Oh, they're pretty long. In DC there's 5 towns you have to build up, 6 dungeons you have to go through, as well as a bonus dungeon. It doesn't sound very much, but it takes much time to through each of these towns and dungeons. I'm pretty bad with estimating hours, but maybe 40 hours or so? I don't know.

I'm not even half way on DC2, so I wouldn't know that, but I think it's longer than DC1. With sidequests it'll definitely be longer.

DC2 is way longer, and the extra dungeons and side quests will keep you OCCUPIED. Zone of the Enders 2:TSR is also good, somewhat similar to Armored Core if you're into games like that.

o_O
09-21-2007, 02:02 AM
Im not sure if this has changed but you cant play dual layered games with swap magic so you can cross Xenosaga off your list.

You can, provided the TOC of the disk isn't greater than the TOC of Swap Magic. At Swap Magic 3, the limit was around 4.25GB. If the TOC is greater than Swap Magic's, you still can. You need to split the ISO over several discs.

Madame Adequate
09-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Nothing like Zelda? What about Alundra 1?

How is Dark Cloud 2?

Nothing like Alundra/Zelda. They are dungeon crawlers, but they have really cool features. Probably closer to Jade Cocoon or Monster Rancher than anything else I can think of actually, and there's still a vast gulf of difference there.

Vermachtnis
09-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Can we still list our games or we still talking about the awesomeness that is Dark Cloud 2. Cause it is awesome and longer than heck too. It took mean 80+ hours just to beat the main story.

Destory All Humans
Devil May Cry 1-3
Disgaea 1-2
DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi
Dragon Quest VIII
GTA: SA and VC
Makai Kingdom
Megaman X7/X8/X Command Mission/X Collection
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 1-2
Phantom Brave
Radiata Stories
Resident Evil: CVX
Shadow Hearts 1-3
Shadow of the Collusus
SMT: DDS 1-2
SMT: Devil Summoner
Sonic Mega Collection +
Soul Calibur III
Star Ocean 3
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile 2
Xenosaga 1-3

Slothy
09-21-2007, 02:46 PM
The games you must own (in order):
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
MGS2-3
Okami (it's like a Zelda game only better)
Zone of the Enders 1&2
Silent Hill 3

The rest:
Mega Man Aniversary Collection
Mega Man X Collection
Soul Calibur 2
God of War 1&2
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Jak series
Gran Turismo 4

I think that'll do for now. Get playing.

Rostum
09-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Xenosaga III came with two DVD's, and they are around 4GB each. So I'm pretty sure they work fine (and I read that Swap Magic 3.8 can play them). Also I found some tutorials on how to rebuild ISO (meaning I'll have to rip the games) to work with Swap Magic if they are dual layer.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :) And yeah, keep posting up your list of games that you have. :)

Also, what are the Sonic games like? The PS2 ones, like Sonic Riders, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, etc?

Brennan
09-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Family Guy

Slothy
09-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :) And yeah, keep posting up your list of games that you have. :)

Also, what are the Sonic games like? The PS2 ones, like Sonic Riders, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, etc?

I would post my entire collection, but it's over 60 games. I figured some of the highlights is a little more manageable.

Also, the PS2 Sonic games are universally bad from what I gather. The highest average rating is about a 69.2% for Sonic Heroes on gamerankings, and they drop like a rock from there. There really hasn't been a good 3D Sonic since the first Sonic Adventure if you ask me, so unless you get Sonic Mega Collection or something, I recommend you save your money.

fantasyjunkie
09-23-2007, 06:07 AM
I would recommend all 3 GTA games that came out on the PS2.
GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas

Rengori
09-24-2007, 03:16 PM
All of you except Omni Legacy fail for not including anything by NIS. Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomad, La Pucelle, "import" all of them.

Rostum
09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I hope you guys realise when I say import, I mean it. There are just a few I'd rather *cough* download *cough* due to my need of saving money. :p

NIS games are cool. I don't know if I can be bothered dedicating the time towards them these days, but I can give them a go.

Nifleheim7
09-27-2007, 08:24 PM
You should all be ashamed for not including not even one Onimusha game!:mad2:

Rostum
09-28-2007, 07:23 AM
You should all be ashamed for not including not even one Onimusha game!:mad2:

Neeeaaaw.

Markus. D
09-28-2007, 07:39 AM
xD...

So yah.

The NIS games.

Tasura
09-28-2007, 07:54 AM
I'd list my collection, but counting the 6 games I bought yesterday, and the 8 I bought a couple weeks ago, my collection is now over 70, or close to it at least.

And as for must have games, most of the ones I'd recommend have been recommended, other than Magna Carta, which seems to be alright so far.