PDA

View Full Version : Wii Finally Reaches It's Potential!

Baloki
09-20-2007, 10:06 AM
That's right folks, your Wii remote will soon have the ability to be a lightsaber, GEEKS EVERYWHERE CELEBRATE!

"So what if the Wii can't handle the awesome 'next-generation' physics engine the other consoles will enjoy when Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is released? LucasArts announced today that Krome Studios is developing a version of the game for the Nintendo console, and players will finally get to use the Wiimote for its intended purpose — as a lightsaber. 'The sword-swinging action will be exclusive to the Wii version, and even then, it will only be available in an exclusive "duel mode." The description in the release says that this duel mode will be a multiplayer affair.'"

I think the worlds running out of reasons not to buy a Wii :P

Zante
09-20-2007, 10:17 AM
...it will only be available in an exclusive "duel mode."...

Seems like its only a gimick. If the whole game could pe played that way, I might actually be interested, but from the sound of it it will be just another minigame. :cry:

Agent Proto
09-20-2007, 10:25 AM
What's so wrong if it's "another minigame"? Are you suggesting that fighting games are just "another minigame"? Duels are fights, thus we'll be fighting another player with a light-saber, and that's awesome. What'll make this game even more awesome if it can be played over WiFi. Now that will be smurfing awesome.

KentaRawr!
09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Groovylicious, no doubt.

Slothy
09-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I'd need to play it. I'm still not convinced the Wii could do 1:1 sword control that's actually fun for more than five minutes. I mean, it wasn't exactly all THAT accurate with similar movements in Wii Sports. We'll wait and see, but the fact that the Wii can't handle a lot of the better features of other versions of the game means I'll probably never buy it. Rent perhaps.

Madame Adequate
09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
What's so wrong if it's "another minigame"?

It's pretty much all the Wii has?

Rostum
09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm still not convinced the Wii could do 1:1 sword control that's actually fun for more than five minutes. I mean, it wasn't exactly all THAT accurate with similar movements in Wii Sports.

Have you played the new Metroid? It is incredibly accurate. I usually think of Wii Sports as a tech demo to show the developers some things they can do -- it just happens a lot of people seem to love playing it.

XxSephirothxX
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM
If the Wii version turns out to be quality and the lightsaber fights are good fun, I may end up buying two versions of The Force Unleashed. One for the awesome physics on the 360 and one for lightsaber fighting. :p They'll probably fuck it up somehow, though. Star Wars games so rarely turn out to meet their potential.

JKTrix
09-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Star Wars games so rarely turn out to meet their potential.

There's a midi-chlorian joke to be had here.

A Light Saber Game is actually one of the very first things I thought of once I wrapped my head around the Revolution controller.

Slothy
09-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm still not convinced the Wii could do 1:1 sword control that's actually fun for more than five minutes. I mean, it wasn't exactly all THAT accurate with similar movements in Wii Sports.

Have you played the new Metroid? It is incredibly accurate. I usually think of Wii Sports as a tech demo to show the developers some things they can do -- it just happens a lot of people seem to love playing it.

No I haven't, though it does sound like it has the best motion recognition of any Wii game yet. That said, 1:1 lightsaber control will take more than recognizing simple up, down, left, and right gestures. The Wii will have to be aware of even the slightest movements and angling of the wiimote. I've yet to see any game that makes me believe it's capable of the insane level of accuracy in reading movement required to truly simulate a lightsaber fight. And to say that I have little faith in a developer that until now I hadn't heard of (and after checking wikipedia am not impressed with the track record of)to pull this off would be an understatement. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but until then, this is still your best bet for realistic lightsaber duels: http://masterreplicas.com/store/star_wars/force_fx/

persephonehermione
09-20-2007, 03:14 PM
As far as I know the lightsaber is just used as a weapon. I.e. think about the other Star Wars games.

I have feeling that it will be played the same way as Zelda (swishing the remote to hurt others), and the upcoming new Dragon Quest (slashing). JUts instead of a sword you'll be in control of the lightsaber.

Also don't forget about lego batman and indiana jones coming out in the end of the this year/next year.

Woot!

Persephone Hermione

Spawn of Sephiroth
09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Yes, I can finally achieve my dream of being a Jedi Knight with my trusty orange lightsaber by my side....... YES!!!!

Peegee
09-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Don't welcome them...IT'S A TRAP!

Zante
09-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Its not that there is anything wrong with minigames per see, but when the selling point of a game appears to be Wiimote saber combat, it is kind off disappointing when you learn that it is only used in a small portion of the actual game.

ReloadPsi
09-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Really? Let me put it this way: The Wiimote gives me horrific flashbacks of the Power Glove, just that the Wiimote is smaller and apparently has cruder technology.

Dreddz
09-20-2007, 07:02 PM
The concept is good but this is going to be awful.

Renmiri
09-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Sure it copies the moves.. But does it do the "wooom", "baaaa" "clink" sounds too ?

My 6 year old's toy lightsaber does :bigsmile:

Doomie
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm not dork. However, I do think that the Wii reached its potential with Super Paper Mario. Now THAT is a fun game.

KentaRawr!
09-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Really? Let me put it this way: The Wiimote gives me horrific flashbacks of the Power Glove, just that the Wiimote is smaller and apparently has cruder technology.

In terms of how they work, the Wii Pointer and the Power Glove do share something in common. The Wii Pointer works with the two parts of the sensor bar to figure out where it is. The Power Glove works with 3 sensors to figure out where it is. Using this, it can figure out things like distance, how high your hand is, and things like that, for both of them. the Wii Remote, however, uses a kind of light I forget the name of, and the Power Glove uses super-sonic sounds. Both of them act somewhat like a sonar, except the Wii Remote uses light rather than sound. Judging by the angle the light/sound is received from, how quickly it receives the sound/light, it can determine location.

However, the biggest difference between the wii Remote and the Power Glove is that the Wii Remote has other sensors within it as well. From playing the Wii, I've only noticed a tilt sensor, and whenever I move the Wii Remote quickly in any direction it seems to catch that as well. I'm not sure if it can tell which direction I'm oh-so quickly moving the Wii Remote in, however.

Another major difference is that rather than the Power Glove being used for games already released for the NES, resulting in horribly clunky controls and a very tedious password system for EVERY game, designers work around the Wii Remote's features, creating a generally better feel for games. So, instead of the Power Glove ruining EVERYTHING by default, it depends on the developer how bad the controller is.

Anyway, judging by my experience with the Wii, I wonder if it can really pull off 1:1 sword-fighting, if it can, and is used with this game, I do wonder if it will end up being a generally good game, with depth. If it WERE 1:1, they'd have to make very good AI to suit it, otherwise, it would just be a swing masher.

ChaosCalibur
09-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Enjoy your mini-games. :)

JKTrix
09-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Sure it copies the moves.. But does it do the "wooom", "baaaa" "clink" sounds too ?

My 6 year old's toy lightsaber does :bigsmile:

It absolutely will. The Wii Remote has a little speaker in it, perfect for having those sounds come from your hand.

Super Paper Mario doesn't count, that was a Gamecube game.

The way the Wii remote works is in several ways. It can tell which way you turn the thing based on its tilt sensors (go play Kororinpa: Marble Mania for an excellent example). It can tell general gestures of physical direction--whether you're moving the remote further from the wii or closer to it, up or down, left or right. And it has a pointer, to point out stuff on the screen (relative to the sensor bar). The Nunchuk shares all these features except the pointing device.

The Wii is capable of creating '1:1' swordplay (though it's really up to the software), however it likely won't be as responsive as if you were really holding a sword. While it does translate your motions well (particularly if you make deliberate movements) it won't sync up at the same time on screen. Expect about a half-second lag.

Captain Maxx Power
09-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Enjoy your mini-games. :)

What's so wrong if it's "another minigame"?

It's pretty much all the Wii has?

Pretty much my sentiments. The Wii is for grandmas and normal members of society. It's not made for fringe people such as myself. I'll stick to a joypad/keyboard kthxs.

Araciel
09-21-2007, 01:33 PM
you KNOW i'm gonna play this for at least 100 hours even if it sucks.

Fonzie
09-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I'll keep using my Wii as a door stopper for now.

Proxy
09-22-2007, 12:03 AM
I dunno, for the time being and thikning about how it could be pulled off...I came.

Raebus
09-30-2007, 08:57 PM
*Insert wii love*

Shlup
09-30-2007, 09:23 PM

Seems like its only a gimick. If the whole game could pe played that way, I might actually be interested, but from the sound of it it will be just another minigame. :cry:

Baby steps, Zante, baby steps.

I got my first paycheck at my new job and I'm getting me a Wii this week! Hurrah!

Peegee
10-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Baby steps, Zante, baby steps.

I got my first paycheck at my new job and I'm getting me a Wii this week! Hurrah!

Grats in advance. This weekend I picked up Pokemon Battle Revolution, because my brother plays his DS pokemon diamond so much, and has most of the prosauce pokemans. Man it's fun just completely owning everything. But I digress....Wii is such a good system.

Markus. D
10-01-2007, 11:25 PM

You're living in the past 'tis all. :3

Rostum
10-02-2007, 12:58 AM
The power glove is absolutely :skull::skull::skull::skull:, how could you honestly compare the two? From what I've played of my girlfriend's Wii, especially with the new Metroid, the Wiimote is completely accurate and there's nothing wrong with it (unlike the :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty power glove).

I am not a fanboy of anything, generally, but I just don't get why people still continue to knock down the Wiimote. It's decent technology, and it makes games heaps more fun for everyone (sorry, we're not all nerds).

Raebus
10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Half of the people who knock it haven't played on a wii and the other half just compare it to other consoles and old ways of playing games.

Heath
10-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I have to admit, I was sceptical about the Wii remote at first, not only because I imagined it would severely bugger up playing some games, but also because I certainly didn't think it would be for me. However, having played on a Wii several times (don't own one) even on games like Wii Sports and WarioWare, it's surprisingly easy and fun to pick-up and am actually a fan of it. And let's face it, don't we all want to a wield a lightsaber like we actually have one in our hands? I know I do!