PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 from TGS

Drift
09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Link (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3162991)
This'll make me buy a PS3.

Discuss.

Slothy
09-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Already have one, though this game is a big reason why. This only confirms my belief that the game would be amazing. Also, though I wasn't sad to see rumble go, and haven't missed it a bit since getting my PS3, I do find the directional rumble in this game pretty cool. Then again, I'm not surprised that the best use of rumble I've seen is in MGS4. The MGS titles (and Star Fox 64) are the only ones I've ever seen use rumble in a way that actually added to the gameplay experience. For most games it's an overused gimmick I barely notice anyway.

Rostum
09-20-2007, 01:38 PM
I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game before (no interest in playing the ones that are currently out, so don't try and make me!). Though, in saying that, I think this looks fairly awesome; very impressed.

Dreddz
09-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Took them four tries but finally, a Metal Gear face off. $10 on Ray.

Slicksword45
09-20-2007, 09:33 PM
I think it's worth noteing that the demo at TGS impressed Kotaku (sp?)

And the guy who played it said he HATED MGS games :D

KentaRawr!
09-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Oh, so it's Outer HAVEN now? What happened to Outer Heaven, then? :P

Old Manus
09-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh my God I came. You haven't even taken the safety off!

I Took the Red Pill
09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Drebin=DJ Jazzy Jeff

Araciel
09-21-2007, 07:42 AM
someday.

Fonzie
09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Haha, Drebin made me laugh.

Bolivar
09-22-2007, 06:35 AM
It's cool to finally see some of the story in a trailer, but this still just wasn't enough.

Although seeing Big Mama was cool. Maybe she's gonna take us to Big Mama's House. I'm really starting to wonder actually if she had a child from her one-night stand with the boss, maybe hence why she's now "mama."

there's alot of things that need to be cleared up, and i guess since this is "the final chapter" alot of them will be.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Big Boss was made sterile by the nuclear tests at Bikini Atoll during the 1950s. He couldn't have had any biological children.

Bolivar
09-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Big Boss was made sterile by the nuclear tests at Bikini Atoll during the 1950s. He couldn't have had any biological children.

i didn't know that. was that in snake eater, or when liquid's talking to snake in mgs1 on rex? It sounds like something from there, i'm not sure though. i guess it's just one more parallel to add to solid snake/big boss

Slothy
09-22-2007, 09:39 PM
It was in Snake Eater, though I believe Liquid and Snake knew they wee both sterile, so perhaps it was mentioned in MGS as well. It's been a little while since I last played through.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-22-2007, 10:29 PM
The clones are sterile because they were intentionally engineered that way. Solidus says as much in MGS2.

Fonzie
09-22-2007, 10:58 PM
The clones are sterile because they were intentionally engineered that way. Solidus says as much in MGS2.

Well, I'd think they were cloned sterile because of Big Boss's altered genes from the nuclear radiation he received.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-22-2007, 11:49 PM
You'd be wrong, though.

Maxico
09-23-2007, 12:04 AM

Apparantly on some part of some DVD box set re-release they elaborate that it was the Davy Crockett blast that made him sterile instead of the Bikini Atoll tests.

Also the 'Big Mama' scene made me cringe.

Fonzie
09-23-2007, 12:14 AM
You'd be wrong, though.

You'd be arrogant, though.

Bolivar
09-23-2007, 03:36 AM
You'd be wrong, though.

You'd be arrogant, though.

lol...

thinking about the sterile issue, i don't know, pregnancies have a tendency to pop up when you least expect.

Also I'm thinking about whether what Liquid said in 2 was true, that snake is aging faster due to Big Boss being cloned in the 70s. That would put snake's real age at like 90 and he doesn't look that old. I'm thinking maybe they'll slant it so that it's FoxDie that's having that effect.

And then there's the concept art put out early...with Big Boss. I heard in twin snakes Ocelot mentions in "the phone call" that no one knows where Big Boss' remains really are... damn i gotta play that!

Slothy
09-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Also I'm thinking about whether what Liquid said in 2 was true, that snake is aging faster due to Big Boss being cloned in the 70s. That would put snake's real age at like 90 and he doesn't look that old. I'm thinking maybe they'll slant it so that it's FoxDie that's having that effect.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Big Boss was cloned in the 1970's while MGS4 only takes place in 2014 which only puts him in his forties. His body is just aging rapidly so that physically he appears much older.

Bolivar
09-23-2007, 04:56 PM

I'm not sure what you mean here. Big Boss was cloned in the 1970's while MGS4 only takes place in 2014 which only puts him in his forties. His body is just aging rapidly so that physically he appears much older.

I'm referring to how Liquid said that when Big Boss was cloned he was in his 50's in MGS2. He said that's why he's been aging rapidly, coming from an old source. That's what I meant by "real age." 50 + 40 = 90.

Fatal Impurity
09-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Gotta love the boozing monkey! And that big mama thing sounded more corny than the ending of MGS2

Slothy
09-23-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm referring to how Liquid said that when Big Boss was cloned he was in his 50's in MGS2. He said that's why he's been aging rapidly, coming from an old source. That's what I meant by "real age." 50 + 40 = 90.

Technically his genetic code would be that old, but Snake still would have been born and grown up like a normal person so he is in his forties, or possibly early fifties by now. It's just that once he started to reach the age Big Boss was when he was cloned his aging began to accelerate.

Bolivar
09-23-2007, 06:33 PM

Technically his genetic code would be that old, but Snake still would have been born and grown up like a normal person so he is in his forties, or possibly early fifties by now. It's just that once he started to reach the age Big Boss was when he was cloned his aging began to accelerate.

yeah that makes sense, the whole thing is a little shoddily adressed, I guess they'll elaborate on it more with this one seeing as how its such a stand-out part of the game.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Also I'm thinking about whether what Liquid said in 2 was true, that snake is aging faster due to Big Boss being cloned in the 70s. That would put snake's real age at like 90 and he doesn't look that old. I'm thinking maybe they'll slant it so that it's FoxDie that's having that effect.FOXDIE kills instantly when it takes effect. It has nothing to do with accelerated aging.
And then there's the concept art put out early...with Big Boss.Placing Big Boss's corpse in that preliminary concept art was Yoji Shinkawa's decision. It had nothing to do with any story plans on Kojima's part.
I heard in twin snakes Ocelot mentions in "the phone call" that no one knows where Big Boss' remains really are... damn i gotta play that!Don't bother. Ocelot says nothing of the sort, and The Twin Snakes is pretty awful anyway.
I'm referring to how Liquid said that when Big Boss was cloned he was in his 50's in MGS2. He said that's why he's been aging rapidly, coming from an old source. That's what I meant by "real age." 50 + 40 = 90.Liquid was wrong, or rather, this was retconned as of MGS3. Big Boss was actually cloned while in his forties.

Bolivar
09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Also I'm thinking about whether what Liquid said in 2 was true, that snake is aging faster due to Big Boss being cloned in the 70s. That would put snake's real age at like 90 and he doesn't look that old. I'm thinking maybe they'll slant it so that it's FoxDie that's having that effect.FOXDIE kills instantly when it takes effect. It has nothing to do with accelerated aging.
And then there's the concept art put out early...with Big Boss.Placing Big Boss's corpse in that preliminary concept art was Yoji Shinkawa's decision. It had nothing to do with any story plans on Kojima's part.
I heard in twin snakes Ocelot mentions in "the phone call" that no one knows where Big Boss' remains really are... damn i gotta play that!Don't bother. Ocelot says nothing of the sort, and The Twin Snakes is pretty awful anyway.
I'm referring to how Liquid said that when Big Boss was cloned he was in his 50's in MGS2. He said that's why he's been aging rapidly, coming from an old source. That's what I meant by "real age." 50 + 40 = 90.Liquid was wrong, or rather, this was retconned as of MGS3. Big Boss was actually cloned while in his forties.

Thank you captain negativity!

KentaRawr!
09-26-2007, 12:42 AM
He may be captain negativity, but he is right on all points, sans Twin Snakes being awful.