PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite current series/team of tactical rpg's?

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 09:53 PM
There are four different current series/teams of tactical rpg's that are popular and that are released in the United States.

I'll list all tactical rpg's from each of the four teams/series, including ones not released in Usa...

1. Yasumi Matsuno/Ivalice/Ogre teams(s)
Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle 64, Ogre Battle Gaiden, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy Tactics A2

2. Nippon Ichi Software team
Disgaea, La Pucelle: Tactics, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2, Soul Nomad & the World Eaters, Disgaea 3

3. Front Mission team
Front Mission 1, Front Mission 2, Front Mission 3, Front Mission 4, Front Mission 5: Scars of the War

4. Fire Emblem team
many non-Usa games, Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

My favorite team is the first team, which split up into two teams after Tactics Ogre but merged back into one team starting with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I love team 3 also! I haven't played any games by teams 2 and teams 4 but they seem interesting and I hope to play them.

What is your favorite team? My vote is for Team 1!! You may choose another team as long as they have atleast 2 Usa released tactical rpg's. :)

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Post editing doesn't load for me right now...

EDIT:
I have to post this, I just looked on metacritic.com/games for the averages of critical reviews and user votes for Ogre Battle 64. It has the highest user rating I've EVER seen for a game!
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur (n64: 2000): Reviews (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/n64/ogrebattle64?q=ogre%20battle%2064)
82% from 10 critical reviews but it has 98% from 45 user votes!

On the bottom of the page, click on "Read more user comments...". Every person but one on that list gave it a 10 out of 10!!! I've never seen a game this highly rated!! I have to get this game! :) I'm going to post a thread on this game now!

Heath
09-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Fire Emblem is the only one I've played but I've always really enjoyed the games. I'm a ridiculous perfectionist over it though; I won't go onto the next chapter if I lose even a single unit (important one or not).

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks! Please vote on the thread! Are you getting the new Fire Emblem game for the Wii on Nov 5th?

Maybe later I can get a Wii and play Zelda and Fire Emblem! :D

Vermachtnis
09-20-2007, 11:30 PM
NIS and partially blame that on Rengori :mad:

I say partially because I played Rhapsody and Makai Kingdom before. You kind of forgot the Marl Kingdom trilogy for NIS. It's not really the gameplay that I like about them, it's the characters.

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:31 PM
What series is that? I don't know what that is, I didn't see it on this page...
Nippon Ichi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippon_ichi)

Buy me it! :)

Vermachtnis
09-20-2007, 11:34 PM
What series is that? I don't know what that is, I didn't see it on this page...
Nippon Ichi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippon_ichi)

Buy me it! :)

Oh, sorry. Rhapsody is the first game in the Marl Kingdom series. The other two weren't released over here.

Crossblades
09-20-2007, 11:50 PM
The name of the team that created the Fire Emblem series is "Intelligent Systems", just so you know.

The only strategy RPGs I've played are the FFT games and the 2 of the American released Fire Emblem games.

Both are good, but I prefer Fire Emblem over FFT

Dragonsoul
09-20-2007, 11:51 PM
How long is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, with and without sidequests?

Crossblades
09-20-2007, 11:54 PM
How long is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, with and without sidequests?

With sidequests - about 50 - 70 hours. Depends

without sidequests - maybe 30. Maybe less than that

Madame Adequate
09-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Other - Vandal Hearts. Two games, both on the PS1, by far the best SRPGs I have ever played.

Bolivar
09-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Other - Shining Force, and although they released a large amount of games over the last few years that are all anything but SRPG's, I can only interpret it as building the hype before they release the next one.

But as far as currently active, the current Ivalice group at Square, although its never really been a set development team (alot of the lesser-known people from X worked on XII, RW is completely different, TA had alot of newcomers, and Sakimoto last I hear has no plans of doing anything with Square). I'm probably looking forward to TA2 more than any other, until Shining Force IV is announced.

ljkkjlcm9
09-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Shining Force was good

I just picked up Luminous Arc, hoping it will be good

But so far Fire Emblem is my favorite. Each character is unique in growth, and the games are always deeply involved stories with a wide variety of characters to choose from. And most of the time, you're not stuck using just one person per class, you can choose (for the most part)

THE JACKEL

Markus. D
09-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Anything Nippon Ichi related.

Firo Volondé
09-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Fire Emblem, by far. It caters perfectly to a perfectionist like me, since you have to play over and over again to find everyone's backstory. Even if, at times, it is infuriatingly difficult.

Crossblades
09-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Other - Shining Force, and although they released a large amount of games over the last few years that are all anything but SRPG's, I can only interpret it as building the hype before they release the next one.

How could I forget about Shining Force? That game is pure awesome. I stilll need to be it though

Vermachtnis
09-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't mean to hijack the topic or anything, but is the Advance Wars series anygood? It looks pretty cute for a game with tanks and missles.

Firo Volondé
09-21-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't mean to hijack the topic or anything, but is the Advance Wars series anygood? It looks pretty cute for a game with tanks and missles.

As far as modern/futuristic tactical RPGs go, it's pretty good. They practically force tutorials down your throat in the main story, so the extremely intricate formula of who beats who can (eventually) be worked out without too much fuss. It's multiplayer mode is solid, if you happen to know other people with the game. And being on a portable system is always an advantage.

Proxy
09-22-2007, 12:04 AM
FFT thx guys

Rengori
09-22-2007, 12:18 AM
You must blame Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb, and Behold the Void for that.

It is incredibly fun. For a while, after you get the hang of it and get through the campaign it starts to fade.

Behold the Void
09-22-2007, 03:50 AM
Advance Wars is solid but the Duel Strike feature in the DS version lends itself to a considerable amount of cheese.

I love Matsuno. I really, truly do. However, Nippon Ichi owns my freakin' soul. Period.

Heath
09-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Advance Wars is solid but the Duel Strike feature in the DS version lends itself to a considerable amount of cheese.

I love Matsuno. I really, truly do. However, Nippon Ichi owns my freakin' soul. Period.

I think I prefer Advance Wars to Fire Emblem myself (only just though), but never considered it for this thread for some reason. I like AW because I can be more reckless thanks to not usually having a finite number of units.

Edit: Having said that, both Fire Emblem and Advance Wars are made by Intelligent Systems anyway.

Vermachtnis
09-22-2007, 10:11 PM
You must blame Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb, and Behold the Void for that.

I already blame Adam and Morgan for getting me into Atlus in the first place with the review of Digital Devil Saga 2. And they also got me to play Makai Kingdom in the first place. Wait a minuit, Atlus is involved with NIS and Makai Kingdom takes place in same Multiverse. That must mean:
Adam is 2-Pac wait, that doesn't right either

Rengori
09-22-2007, 11:01 PM
If you want a good short SRPG try Luminous Arc from Atlus, I'm like 15 hours in and I'm almost at the final boss. For an SRPG it's got a lot of character development and it's pretty fun too. The only real downside I can see is that you start to become so attached to the characters it becomes increasingly harder to choose only 8 characters for each battle.

I already blame Adam and Morgan for getting me into Atlus in the first place with the review of Digital Devil Saga 2. And they also got me to play Makai Kingdom in the first place. Wait a minuit, Atlus is involved with NIS and Makai Kingdom takes place in same Multiverse. That must mean:
Adam is 2-Pac wait, that doesn't right either

Well I haven't blamed them for anything since their second G4 forced set change.

BTW: Makai Kingdom is awesome too. It took Phantom Brave's no grid system and fixed it.

Dragonsoul
09-23-2007, 01:34 AM

But as far as currently active, the current Ivalice group at Square, although its never really been a set development team (alot of the lesser-known people from X worked on XII, RW is completely different, TA had alot of newcomers, and Sakimoto last I hear has no plans of doing anything with Square). I'm probably looking forward to TA2 more than any other, until Shining Force IV is announced.

It was a set development team for the first four games: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story. All four games have pretty much exactly the same people working on them. Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 came next but these last four games have slightly different teams, because the team has partially fragmented, and now Yasumi Matsuno, the leader has left. Motomu Toriyama, the main FF director now(X, X-2, XIII) is directing FF XII: RW. I don't remember who's directing FF T A2, maybe he'll be the new leader now.

I'm excite~!

Bolivar
09-23-2007, 03:28 AM

It was a set development team for the first four games: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story. All four games have pretty much exactly the same people working on them. Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 came next but these last four games have slightly different teams, because the team has partially fragmented, and now Yasumi Matsuno, the leader has left. Motomu Toriyama, the main FF director now(X, X-2, XIII) is directing FF XII: RW. I don't remember who's directing FF T A2, maybe he'll be the new leader now.

I'm excite~!

FFT is kinda different because although the ogre battle team was there on it, it was Hiroyuki Itou who designed the actual game. He's been one of the most instrumental members of the FF developers.

The primary scenario writer for XII is a protege (i guess you could call) of Kazushige Nojima, working with him on Final Fantasy X, X-2 and Kingdom Hearts series.

Dragonsoul
09-24-2007, 01:17 AM
:D

ljkkjlcm9
09-24-2007, 01:27 AM
If you want a good short SRPG try Luminous Arc from Atlus, I'm like 15 hours in and I'm almost at the final boss. For an SRPG it's got a lot of character development and it's pretty fun too. The only real downside I can see is that you start to become so attached to the characters it becomes increasingly harder to choose only 8 characters for each battle.

I'm so glad to read this. I just picked up this game and am looking forward to starting it after my test this week!

THE JACKEL