PDA

View Full Version : Something you're good at or something you enjoy?

blackmage_nuke
09-21-2007, 07:29 AM
So which do you think is more important in subject selection, any experience in the dilema?

It's not too uselful to me now, but when i was deciding my subjects i had a difficult decision between chemistry and music. Id say my ability in chemistry was high but my enjoyment was medium, and the reverse was applied for music.
In the end i chose music, i dont regret it but i do wonder how things would be different. The chem students seem complain about the teacher and pointless work load abit.

So whats your opinion?

I might as well make this a poll while im at it
I threw in the third option just incase

edit: yay first poll in this forum

o_O
09-21-2007, 09:56 AM
During school I always did ok in maths, but I grew to hate it fiercely. After school I had to choose the subject for my degree, and for some dumb reason which I still can't figure out, I chose maths. I kind of knew that I wouldn't last in a maths-only degree, so I decided to do a double-major between maths and computer science. Now, the comp-sci major is definitely my main one and maths takes a back seat but I I love maths and kind of realise now that I always did.

I think that enjoyment of a subject is important, but for me success (generally) brings enjoyment. So that's why I chose maths, I guess.

Jimsour
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Getting grades isnt the only purpose to education, its meant to enlighten you and help you think for yourself. Luckily I do a combined honours in two things I enjoy, film and politics.

If I done something I was good at but didnt like, for example, computers, I dont think I could stick with education, I'd drop out of university and get a job.

I was never-ever good at things like maths, and bad teaching killed my like of computers.

Captain Maxx Power
09-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Something you enjoy AND are good at. I tend to find the two go hand in hand, it's rare to enjoy something and not be good at it at the same time.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Something you enjoy AND are good at. I tend to find the two go hand in hand, it's rare to enjoy something and not be good at it at the same time.

Bingo!

rubah
09-21-2007, 03:57 PM
foremost is what I need to learn, then comes what I want to learn, and if I still need something, something that will be easy to learn. I put extra effort into the second category though if unfavorable circumstances arise.

Firo Volondé
09-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Both are equally important, I think. If you don't pick subjects you're good at, you'll do badly and not set yourself up well for the future. If you don't pick subjects you like, you'll have a rotten time at school. :) Of course, like Maxx said, subjects that are both are the best.

Jessweeee♪
09-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Why not all three at once :p

I am absolutely loving Webmastering n.n

Mogi
09-22-2007, 06:38 AM
I only really go for the last one in a pinch, unless I'm just feeling really lazy or have something else that I'd rather be doing.
Over all, I'd have to say something that you enjoy above the other two. My oppinion's formed by enjoying the things that I do best though.
:P

Rengori
09-25-2007, 05:19 AM
I do something I enjoy unless like I have to half ass something last minute, then I do something I'm very good at, bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:ting my way through stuff.

Randgris
09-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Enjoying something you're good at

Araciel
09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
depends on the venue. in highschool i would say go for easy marks, but i never had lofty aspirations for college/university, and even though i was going into what i wanted (english/philosophy) both were, to me, easy credits, since i enjoy writing essays, and english was always mandatory anyway.

in college/university...well it depends on how you want your career lifestyle to work. if you want to do something you enjoy, pick something you enjoy. if you want to do something you find easy, pick something easy. if you want to do something that makes you a lot of money, pick something that will net you a lucrative career.

Heath
09-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Exactly. History and English have always been the two subjects I've been best at and the ones I've generally enjoyed the most. If a subject is interesting and I enjoy it, I'll be more willing to pay attention and put the hours in so enjoyment would generally lead to academic success.