PDA

View Full Version : Peer-Editing

fire_of_avalon
09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey y'all. I thought those of us who are still caught in the sling of term-papering could use this thread to request peer-editors and to bounce ideas off of one another. I turned in the attached short paper yesterday, but I figured it was probably pertinent to put up a little something to get the ball rolling.

The first attachment is my prompt. The second is my actual paper.

Araciel
09-25-2007, 10:29 AM
what an excellent idea. this being my first foray into this neck of the woods, i would be interested to try helping some folks, but there is naught as of yet :(

Heath
09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a really good idea. I'm almost certainly a person who likes someone else to have a read through something I've written just to see if it makes sense outside of my own brain. For my history essays I usually get a friend of mine who doesn't know a lot about it. That way if my points make sense with the examples I've used for them to understand, then the chances are that the writing is clear and concise.

Araciel
09-25-2007, 09:14 PM
i wouldn't mind being a professional editor, since when i read i always find spelling/typing errors, though i'm sure everyone does, i think i could find more than are often found in published material.

MKusanagi
10-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Oh this forum was a good investment. I will actually have a few papers I'd like peer-editted. Mind you, its college material. But I'm hardly alone on that one.

MKusanagi
10-15-2007, 02:08 AM
A few things
1) Needs a thesis, or more easily found thesis
2) don't know if it was just formatting difference but there seems to be more than one space between words
3) Over page limit

I'm attaching a reverse copy of your work with highlights where I saw errors or where things could be improved. Over all this is a good essay. I need to read that book haha.

Resha
10-15-2007, 03:42 PM
It is a great idea. I don't have anything on right now, but I'd love to read anything if anyone wants me to! :)

MKusanagi
10-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I'll need you to read something over in a bit.

fire_of_avalon
10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
A few things
2) don't know if it was just formatting difference but there seems to be more than one space between words
3) Over page limit

I'm attaching a reverse copy of your work with highlights where I saw errors or where things could be improved. Over all this is a good essay. I need to read that book haha.

The thesis was sooo hard to do because it comprised two different ideas that I felt needed so much background. The reader/grader also mentioned the heavy intro/indefinite thesis. The spaces between words could be a difference between different editions of Word. I double space after periods (because we're using MLA), but not after individual words.

Thanks for your editing! I received a grade for this paper (A- yay!), but I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind for the next.

MKusanagi
10-15-2007, 11:52 PM
A few things
3) Over page limit

The thesis was sooo hard to do because it comprised two different ideas that I felt needed so much background. The reader/grader also mentioned the heavy intro/indefinite thesis. The spaces between words could be a difference between different editions of Word. I double space after periods (because we're using MLA), but not after individual words.

Thanks for your editing! I received a grade for this paper (A- yay!), but I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind for the next.

Meaning the grader wanted a clearer thesis or that they wanted an indefinite one? Yeah, I noticed you were using MLA. I learned something new. Double space after periods, eh? I'll have to keep that in mind. Hope I was of help. I joined to late to be of help, huh.

fire_of_avalon
10-17-2007, 04:46 AM
She wanted a clearer one. And your suggestions will definitely be helpful for next time! :)

MKusanagi
10-17-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm relieved. :) But keep on this thread because I'll be sending in some things soon.

MKusanagi
10-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Here it is in .PDF format

eestlinc
11-04-2007, 04:03 AM
anyone want to peer edit my law review article? I am going to assume not.

Ouch!
11-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Given that I just played Ocarina of Time again and found myself angered by the excessive use of the exclamation point, this idea is probably perfect for me. Unfortunately, as one of eleven freshmen English majors, I've become the editor for just about everyone on the floor (assuming all the people who have promised to bring papers will). I love editing stuff, so if I've got free time between papers, I'll definitely give this a shot.

MKusanagi
11-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Well, this thread is officially pointlss.