PDA

View Full Version : A New Face? or A New Disgrace?

Chemical
09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Do you think cosmetics create a negative imapct on the psychological being? or a positive?

escobert
09-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I just don't think about it :p

Flying Mullet
09-21-2007, 05:05 PM
:down:

Heath
09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I'd say generally negative because the whole industry, as well as the media spotlight upon cosmetics, reinforces the view that individuals must conform to be considered aesthetically pleasing and that those who don't may feel uncomfortable or 'ugly.' Plus the fact to some people cosmetics are seen as essential when really, they're not for most people. I suppose for some people they are a positive influence in increasing confidence and self-esteem but I'd generally deem them negative.

Araciel
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
i'm gonna with .... seven.

Resha
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Negative, too. :p I mean, wearing expensive cosmetics can make one feel good about themselves -- but how many glossy posters of women with flawless skin and luscious lips did they have to see to be induced to try said expensive brand in the first place? How much inadequacy did they have to feel in comparison to her to want to be like her?

fire_of_avalon
09-21-2007, 05:24 PM
It doesn't necessarily cause either. Whether make-up is positive or negative depends mostly upon the state of the users mind. The state of the users mind does not depend on whether or not he or she uses make up. Think of it this way, a person with short, sparse eyelashes can use mascara to falsify her appearance. A person, let's say a woman, who does this because people are cruel to her otherwise is behaving in a way that is influenced by negativity. She must do it to look pretty. However another person, let's say a M2F transgendered person, with the same problem of short sparse eyelashes uses the mascara to feel more feminine, more natural to themselves. In this case, I would clearly see make-up in a positive light because the person wearing make-up uses it for in a positive way.

Make-up and the business culture behind make-up are two different things.

Peegee
09-21-2007, 05:28 PM
I often walk by attractive women, and end up smelling them....from literally 20 feet away.

STOP WEARING PERFUME!

Seriously the only women who have successfully smelled good from perfume are strippers, in my experience.

I voted negative.

Araciel
09-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I often walk by attractive women, and end up smelling them....from literally 20 feet away.

STOP WEARING PERFUME!

Seriously the only women who have successfully smelled good from perfume are strippers, in my experience.

I voted negative.

bah i disagree.... many women can wear perfume effectively.

Hazzard
09-21-2007, 05:36 PM

STOP WEARING PERFUME!

I voted negative.

I don't know about you, but the scent of perfume attracts a wide range of men, the majority of the time.

My vote also went negative.

Flying Mullet
09-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I dislike perfune/cologne on any person, but that's because 95% of them seem to bathe in it.

scrumpleberry
09-21-2007, 05:41 PM
It doesn't necessarily cause either. Whether make-up is positive or negative depends mostly upon the state of the users mind. The state of the users mind does not depend on whether or not he or she uses make up. Think of it this way, a person with short, sparse eyelashes can use mascara to falsify her appearance. A person, let's say a woman, who does this because people are cruel to her otherwise is behaving in a way that is influenced by negativity. She must do it to look pretty. However another person, let's say a M2F transgendered person, with the same problem of short sparse eyelashes uses the mascara to feel more feminine, more natural to themselves. In this case, I would clearly see make-up in a positive light because the person wearing make-up uses it for in a positive way.

Make-up and the business culture behind make-up are two different things.

I agree here.

Peegee
09-21-2007, 05:59 PM

STOP WEARING PERFUME!

I voted negative.

I don't know about you, but the scent of perfume attracts a wide range of men, the majority of the time.

My vote also went negative.

To you and Dyslexicon:

I agree, in theory, but most of the time when I smell women they wear too much perfume. Maybe they get accustomed to the smell and they have to wear more to smell it. Regardless, in my experience something is causing them to wear it too much.

Or too little, because I obviously have an odd bias of what works.

Jojee
09-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Love Spell from Victoria's Secret is the best perfume ever x] So yummy and fruity smelling. Try it, PG!

For me at least, cosmetics is positive ^_^ Very nice for covering up a random zit or under-eye shadows, etc. :P As long as you don't overdo it.

Vermachtnis
09-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I voted positive! YAY! Because I didn't read the first post!

But I will stick to what I said. There are diffentally people out there who need to wear make-up all the time. Not to say that all of those people are ugly, just that they look better with make-up.

Of course there are people who can pull of the natural looks still be hot.

Miriel
09-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Love Spell from Victoria's Secret is the best perfume ever x] So yummy and fruity smelling. Try it, PG!

Love Spell was like, my very first "perfume". Someone gave it to me as a gift in middle school and I felt so grown up. xD Yeah, it smells nice. I still use it today. :)

As for makeup, everything foa said is true. It really depends on the person, their motivations, etc.

90% of the time, I don't wear makeup. I'm lazy and even more than that, I am barely conscious the first hour or so after I crawl out of bed. No time, not motivation to do anything to my face other than give it a quick wash.

But when I do wear makeup, lemme tell ya, it makes a difference. It makes me feel more polished, prettier and more... awake. Presentable to the world.

I don't see anything wrong with putting on some makeup, looking at the mirror and going, "oh nice" and having a little extra bounce in your step throughout the day, knowing that you look good.

But if someone is using makeup in desperation. Feeling awkward and naked without makeup. Spending a bunch of money on makeup because they feel ugly without it... that's coming from a whole different place.

Quindiana Jones
I think it depends on the person.

Old Manus
I thought feeling good about yourself after applying makeup was the whole point of it.

Yamaneko
09-21-2007, 07:11 PM
I think certain cultures have been conditioned to respond positively to females who wear make-up. Whether this reenforcement was created by the large cosmetic companies is up for debate. Regardless, people still have their own decisions to make, so I don't blame the corporations for the reality we live in. They're just out there to make money. It's a business which employs manipulative tactics just like any other. If we blame the corporate community for fostering false ideals as reality then we shouldn't just go after cosmetic companies. The problem will always come down to uneducated consumers not noting the hypocrisy of their purchases and buying into the message. That's not to say women shouldn't buy make-up because it will only go to show their ignorance. People should just be aware of what they're doing and to what ends they will benefit from it.

Hazzard
09-21-2007, 07:15 PM
People forget that men have these insecurities too.

Look at MJ for instance, he was ruthlessly getting himself carved open to look different.

rubah
09-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I wear makeup if I want to seem more perfect. If I don't feel perfect at all, I usually don't wear makeup anyways because I need to already feel good to feel that it's worth the trouble.

[edit- I guess you could say i think that it is an amplifier]

Renmiri
09-21-2007, 09:03 PM
I love a man who smells good :love:

Quindiana Jones
09-21-2007, 09:12 PM
I smell fantastic. Or so I've been told by many many ladeez.

"GRRR!" is the term used.

Jojee
09-22-2007, 01:26 AM

Love Spell was like, my very first "perfume". Someone gave it to me as a gift in middle school and I felt so grown up. xD Yeah, it smells nice. I still use it today. :)
Yay, everyone loves it. It's the only 'perfume' that I can use, all the other ones I've tried (I've had to sample all the Vic's ones since I worked there) were way too strong. >_< Well, I guess Dream Angels Heavenly was okay, but still not as good. Love Spell is so fresh and girly. :]

A friend told me that Britney Spears' perfume smelled really good XD I never tried. *turns this thread into perfume discussion*

Shiny
09-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Negative: Evokes shallowness and a false sense of security.

Positive: Increases self-esteem for those who are insecure about their physical appearance.

This one substitute teacher I had would wear expensive make-up that she was allergic to all the time, and would apply heavy amounts of it as well. She would also be completely clashing. For instance, she'd wear blue eye shadow with red lipstick while wearing black clothing. It was ridiculous. She knew she was allergic to it too and still used it anyway. A waste of money and time just so she can believe she looked good.

And yeah Victoria's Secret perfume smells really lovely. I like some of their lotion scents too.

Vincent, Thunder God
09-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Definitely negative overall. I have no problems with people using make-up, lipstick etc. but I think that no one should feel like they HAVE to wear those products, because that makes people feel inferior without them and reduces individuality.

The real problem I have with the industry is plastic surgery being used unnecessarily. If someone has an incredibly large nose, ears that stick out excessively etc. I think it's fine to have plastic surgery, but not to prevent normal aging or to create breast implants. I find women with face lifts or breast implants very unattractive.