PDA

View Full Version : Huge translation changes in the American version...

Peter_20
09-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I've been comparing the Japanese script with the translation, and there are some HUGE changes everywhere.
They don't actually change the story or anything, but they are very different.
Here are some examples:

JAPANESE
ENGLISH

"Maybe, this is the end? So, I want to tell you everything."
"Listen to my story. This may be our last chance."

"You'll learn how to use it in real battle."
"I hope you know how to use it."

"It's good that they won, but they didn't win firmly.
If it was Chap, he would have put the game away neatly until the end."
"Not the most... graceful win.
If it was Chappu, he'd still be standing."

"Look, look!"
"Hey, watch!"

Why all these changes?
I could easily see most Japanese dialogues being translated right over to English as they were.

ReloadPsi
09-22-2007, 12:07 PM
There's usually about a million different ways to translated a line from one language to another, especially with a language as outlandish as Japanese. The only ones whose meaning really changed there are "You'll learn to use it in real battle" and "Chappu would've put the game away neatly until the end." Besides, try and imagine Lulu saying that last one.

You've also gotta consider the length of the Japanese sentences in comparison to the English ones: Fully spoken script, remember?

Nifleheim7
09-22-2007, 12:15 PM
A difference that really surprised me,was in the ending scene where Yuna in the english version says "i love you" but in the japanese says "Thank you".

Jimsour
09-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Thats more of a cultural reason, the I love you bit.

They could have used a direct translation, but it wouldnt have sounded right. If Auron handed tidus a sword and said "you'll learn how to use it in a real battle" it wouldnt sound as good. Remember the voice actors are different, they can sometimes protray a different image through voice for their character. I remember hearing something about Tidus not being as annoying in the Japanese version, that he's a lot more laid back, whereas in the English language version he's the most annoying thing on this earth sometimes, and extra-whingey.

Tabris
09-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Very interesting examples - I would be very grateful if you could bother adding some more!

Yes, I've heard that the American actor for Tidus's voice deliberatly made him into this Californian surfer-dude. Blasphemic, if you ask me.

Nifleheim7
09-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Thats more of a cultural reason, the I love you bit.

Qft!

Bolivar
09-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Yes, I've heard that the American actor for Tidus's voice deliberatly made him into this Californian surfer-dude. Blasphemic, if you ask me.

lol

Tavrobel
09-22-2007, 10:37 PM
The script has to sound more palatable to our American sensitivities. This is true of many things cultural or otherwise.

cally777
09-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Very interesting examples - I would be very grateful if you could bother adding some more!

Ditto, and anyone else have examples? (How many of us know Japanese?)

"It's good that they won, but they didn't win firmly.
If it was Chap, he would have put the game away neatly until the end."
"Not the most... graceful win.
If it was Chappu, he'd still be standing."

This keeps the general meaning but puts it a more natural way for english speakers. Its not a literal translation but sounds better.

Maybe this is similar. Like a rough translation of a Japanese character that Americans can relate to.

:choc::choc::choc:

rubah
09-29-2007, 04:04 PM
The translation was fine, not some huge stilted sounding mess. I don't know why you're making a fuss, the point of the localization teams is to make it flow seamlessly for users who expect something akin to their own country.

Peter_20
09-29-2007, 04:08 PM
The translation was fine, not some huge stilted sounding mess. I don't know why you're making a fuss, the point of the localization teams is to make it flow seamlessly for users who expect something akin to their own country.I'm not really making a fuss, I was just surprised at the obvious changes in lots of the dialogues.

Besides, it's very typical of me to kinda prefer anything that qualifies as the "original". :p
Even Auron's Japanese voice seems better to me, because it was his real voice.

ReloadPsi
09-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Sadly, giving us a voice to relate to tends to be essential because of the ratio of keen linguists to ignorant monoglots around the world. But hey, at least the Brooklyn accent given to Joey (Jounochi) in Yu-Gi-Oh! had novelty value and a tinge of relevance... he was an ex-gangster apparently.

On the other hand there's some of the voices they changed for Pokemon... Meowth's Japanese voice was a heck of a lot more comical and his American one was just nothing special. Using Ootani's voice for Pikachu (along with all the other ones whose didn't change for whichever reason) was a nice touch for authenticity though.

remnant1
09-29-2007, 07:05 PM
the japanese dialouge sucks lolol

Sefie1999AD
09-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Why all these changes?
I could easily see most Japanese dialogues being translated right over to English as they were.

A difference that really surprised me,was in the ending scene where Yuna in the english version says "i love you" but in the japanese says "Thank you".

I think many of these changes were made to make the English voices synch with the characters' lips. Even with these translations, the lip synchronization wasn't exactly flawless in the English version of the game.

As for the "Thank you" to "I love you" part, I think that's somewhat culture-based. I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) the Japanese try to avoid using the "I love you" phrase because it's so cliched and unnatural a phrase in their culture. Instead, they try to express their love in other ways, and I think saying "thank you" is actually quite subtle. However, it seems Square thought the characters need to express their love more directly in the English version, so they made Yuna say "I love you" instead. :p