PDA

View Full Version : I am just appalled at our governemnt

Big Brother
09-22-2007, 08:13 PM
The President of Iran will be coming to the US, AND he'll be allowed to speak at an American university after just giving a speech saying death to America, death to Israel! How can our government allow this guy to set foot on our soil? Who will we allow to come visit next, Osama bin Laden?

KentaRawr!
09-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Any man can be reasoned with. Unless they're stupid. Let's see which one is.

Quindiana Jones
09-22-2007, 08:15 PM
We all already know the American govt. sucks.

demondude
09-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Osama comes to america for speech in front of world. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owned)

Ouch!
09-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Wow, look at that, we're taking the high road and being diplomatic. We're allowing a powerful man who dislikes us come to our country and experience our culture instead of denying him and (likely) only fostering his negative opinions of American society! Yeah, terrible idea.

rubah
09-22-2007, 08:17 PM
You might also want to check out the thread on this subject in EoEO.

Fonzie
09-22-2007, 08:20 PM
We'll win him over with our American products.

Also, I bet the Christians will rally and protest. :p

Quindiana Jones
09-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Christians are always being oppressed. They have a right to protest. :mad2:

Chimp
09-22-2007, 08:39 PM
If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.

theundeadhero
09-22-2007, 09:39 PM
What if he suddenly blows up :eek:!

Renmiri
09-23-2007, 12:17 AM

Oh yeah, the horrors of not saying "Merry Christmas" is the latest insult! Christians are like soooo made to suffer in this day and age! Makes one miss the lions den... :rolleyes2

Proxy
09-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Wow, look at that, we're taking the high road and being diplomatic. We're allowing a powerful man who dislikes us come to our country and experience our culture instead of denying him and (likely) only fostering his negative opinions of American society! Yeah, terrible idea.

I think Ouch! just won this thread.
Close plz guise?

Fonzie
09-23-2007, 12:33 AM

Oh yeah, the horrors of not saying "Merry Christmas" is the latest insult! Christians are like soooo made to suffer in this day and age! Makes one miss the lions den... :rolleyes2

Your sarcasm detector must be broken.

Lawr
09-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Your sarcasm detector must be broken.

Your being sarcastic right?

Big Brother
09-23-2007, 01:11 AM
This man just gave a speech calling for the destruction of the US and Israel and that no one could stop him from going nuclear, thus violating UN resolutions. That mean anything to you, Ouch!?

Aurey
09-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Man, are people STILL talking about the US Government? That was so two years ago, what left is there to say about it?

Rengori
09-23-2007, 02:39 AM
I think the government has learned it's lesson not to act hastily after getting into Iraq. If Iran were to actually nuke the US or Israel, what is Iran gonna do then? They're wouldn't be able to nuke two countries and then face no resistance. And we might be able to get rid of that useless organization known as the UN.

Psychotic
09-23-2007, 02:43 AM
Hasn't Iran been nuked yet? Lame. Wake me up when it has.

fantasyjunkie
09-23-2007, 06:11 AM

All governments suck, every one of them.

Ouch!
09-23-2007, 06:31 AM
This man just gave a speech calling for the destruction of the US and Israel and that no one could stop him from going nuclear, thus violating UN resolutions. That mean anything to you, Ouch!?
Of course it does. It means to me that we need, more than ever, to act diplomatically and open our arms to the President of Iran. If we deny him the right to come to the United States, we only prove all of his opinions about our society correct and encourage his hatred for us.

If we allow him to come to our country, we can attempt to show him the good aspects of the United States. We have no hope of peacefully salvaging the situation. You know, you win more flies with honey or whatever the hell that phrase is.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather such disputes (which seem a lot more like big talk from both sides tan a willingness to act) be solved with peaceful diplomacy rather than going out of our way to offend our enemies as much as possible and only further provoke them.

Lawr
09-23-2007, 06:38 AM
I don't know about you, but I'd rather such disputes (which seem a lot more like big talk from both sides tan a willingness to act) be solved with peaceful diplomacy rather than going out of our way to offend our enemies as much as possible and only further provoke them.

Ah...one problem...

TOO LATE. NUKE THEM NOW. AND GET THIS OVER WITH.

Quindiana Jones
09-23-2007, 11:22 AM

All governments suck, every one of them.

That is true. But the main focus here is the American one, and though all government leaders can be stupid, George Bush can't not be.

blackmage_nuke
09-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Eww, why would the president of Iran would want to go to the USA. 'Your' soil will get his feet dirty

Just kidding i think both seem to have some trickyness up their sleeve. Like the government is just waiting for the president of iran to slip up so they can be all J'ACUSE! Or the president of Iran is waiting for the americans to be all like 'go back to pakistan' or something to be like americans suck im goin nukuler

Big Brother
09-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Of course it does. It means to me that we need, more than ever, to act diplomatically and open our arms to the President of Iran. If we deny him the right to come to the United States, we only prove all of his opinions about our society correct and encourage his hatred for us.

If we allow him to come to our country, we can attempt to show him the good aspects of the United States. We have no hope of peacefully salvaging the situation. You know, you win more flies with honey or whatever the hell that phrase is.

Got a point there, Ouch!. Of course I don't want to see more of our troops die just to get rid of this douchebag. If we do win this fly, do you think he'll stop this "Wipe Israel off the map" bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:? There is one problem, this guy is not the true power in Iran. He can be compared to, let's say, the mayor of Midgar, whereas the real power was Shinra Inc.. The real power there are the Ayatollahs. In the unlikely event that we win this fly, we won't win those nutjobs above him. They'd have Ahmadinejad secretly removed from office and then skin him alive. After that, they'd replace him with someone even more extreme.

Ouch!
09-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Got a point there, Ouch!. Of course I don't want to see more of our troops die just to get rid of this douchebag. If we do win this fly, do you think he'll stop this "Wipe Israel off the map" bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:? There is one problem, this guy is not the true power in Iran. He can be compared to, let's say, the mayor of Midgar, whereas the real power was Shinra Inc.. The real power there are the Ayatollahs. In the unlikely event that we win this fly, we won't win those nutjobs above him. They'd have Ahmadinejad secretly removed from office and then skin him alive. After that, they'd replace him with someone even more extreme.
Perhaps, but we still stand to gain nothing by insulting the man. What do we have to fear? Does anyone really expect him to walk into the university with a bomb strapped to his chest and blow up the auditorium? We have nothing to lose from being nice to him.

Edit: Also, while it may be true that winning the president over may do us little good in the long run, such actions not only help change the opinion of our enemies, but also that of the rest of the world. Everyone knows what a crappy reputation the United States sports right now. There's others watching this little exchange as well, and it might be nice to show that jumping into the fray with military power and disrupting an entire region for years to come isn't the only way we deal with problems in the Middle East.

Big Brother
09-23-2007, 09:57 PM
He wouldn't blow himself up. Only expendable "martyrs" are doing that. And no matter what we do, the rest of the world will find something to complain about when it comes to the US. Do not forget that the Islamic Extremists preach that it is the sacred duty of every able bodied Muslim to kill Americans and their allies, both civil and military. We are good pals with the Saudi Royal family who are very devout Sunni Muslims, and that's not changin al Qaeda's opinion of us. In Iraq we are allies with Sheik Muqtada Al Sadr, a former enemy of ours, and that hasn't improved our relations with Shi'ite extremists.

You're also avoiding my point on Israel. I doubt his views on Israel will change. I also doubt he'll stop his nuclear program. The Islamic Republic of Iran armed with nukes isn't really something I'd savor, nor does the rest of the world.

Rengori
09-23-2007, 10:15 PM
It's not our responsibility to improve Iran's relation with Israel, that's Iran and Israel's responsibility.

Ouch!
09-24-2007, 01:31 AM
It's not our responsibility to improve Iran's relation with Israel, that's Iran and Israel's responsibility.
Precisely. I didn't address the matter of Iran's conflicts with Israel because I don't believe that the United States has to play the mediator (and, incidentally, the police) of the world.

You're misunderstanding my opinion on the matter, I think. I don't believe that being nice to the president of Iran will in any way realistically improve our relations with any group in the Middle East or alter Iran's plans for its nuclear program, at least not in the immediate future. Playing nice, however, will not escalate any currently-existing enmities.

Do you believe that by keeping the president of Iran out of the United States these same problems may be solved? Will denying him entrance somehow impede the Iranian nuclear program? Will it somehow improve the relations with Israel? We shoot ourselves in the foot by denying him, and while we may not see many immediate gains from playing diplomat, at least we're putting ourselves in a better position.

Araciel
09-24-2007, 01:58 AM
ah if we get nuked we get nuked. not much we can do.

- - - TAURUS - - -
09-24-2007, 02:38 AM

yeah man, with their wealthy Western culture, them forcing their beliefs on others, saying every other religion is wrong but theirs, refusing to think outside the box (it's a sin kids!), making ignorant statements about Muslims and the Middle Eastern culture(s), I totally believe Christians are oppressed

but in all honesty, I hope you're kidding, Christians are some of the most close-minded, egocentric, ignorant humans to exist (the majority, there's still a good few who are truly worthy of the title).

Rengori
09-24-2007, 02:41 AM

yeah man, with their wealthy Western culture, them forcing their beliefs on others, saying every other religion is wrong but theirs, refusing to think outside the box (it's a sin kids!), making ignorant statements about Muslims and the Middle Eastern culture(s), I totally believe Christians are oppressed

but in all honesty, I hope you're kidding, Christians are some of the most close-minded, egocentric, ignorant humans to exist (the majority, there's still a good few who are truly worthy of the title).

Someones sarcasm detector is broken.

- - - TAURUS - - -
09-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I looked back in the topic and realized he was kidding, oh well :D

Fonzie
09-24-2007, 03:58 AM

Someones sarcasm detector is broken.

Everyones sarcasm detector is broken in this here thread.

Paul
09-24-2007, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Rengori;2307884]It's not our responsibility to improve Iran's relation with Israel, that's Iran and Israel's responsibility.

In 1947, the British government withdrew from the Mandate of Palestine, stating it was unable to arrive at a solution acceptable to both Arabs and Jews.[45] The newly-created United Nations approved Resolution 181 (the Partition Plan) on November 29, 1947, allocating just over half the land for a Jewish state and most of the rest for an Arab country. Jerusalem was to be designated an international city – a corpus separatum – administered by the UN to avoid conflict over its status.[46] The Jewish community accepted the UN Partition Plan,[47] but the Arab League and Arab Higher Committee rejected it.[48]

Regardless, the State of Israel was proclaimed on May 14, 1948, one day before the expiry of the British Mandate of Palestine.[49] Not long after, five Arab countries – Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq – attacked Israel, launching the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.[49] After almost a year of fighting, a ceasefire was declared and temporary borders, known as the Green Line, were instituted. Jordan annexed what became known as the West Bank and Egypt took control of the Gaza Strip. Israel was admitted as a member of the United Nations on May 11, 1949.[50] During the course of the hostilities, 711,000 Arabs, according to UN estimates, fled from Israel.[51] Arab persecution of Jewish communities precipitated a similar Jewish exodus from Arab lands.[52] The fate of the Palestinian refugees today is a major point of contention in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.[53][54]

sounds like the UN and any members of, kinda have a lot to do with the tensions in the region.

Big Brother
09-25-2007, 04:12 AM
Ah, Ahmadinejad made a complete ass of himself. It was just entertaining

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-25-2007, 04:22 AM

Talk about irony.

Denmark
09-25-2007, 05:09 AM
Speaking of irony, why has NO ONE commented on the sheer irony that a member named "Big Brother" is "appalled at our governemnt [sic]". Has no one read 1984? shame on ALL OF YOU.

Big Brother
09-25-2007, 05:10 AM
oops. I guess in my sheer outrage, I hadn't bothered to check my spelling. Someone fix that, please.

Rengori
09-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Speaking of irony, why has NO ONE commented on the sheer irony that a member named "Big Brother" is "appalled at our governemnt [sic]". Has no one read 1984? shame on ALL OF YOU.
I didn't think it needed to be pointed out, only a retard would have to have the connection spelled out.

Jimsour
09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Ah yes, the US government finally uses a bit of logic and diplomacy and people dont like it. While the Iranian president has spoken about destroying countries, Mr Bush actually done it. Well done.

It IS the US's responsability to take part in Israeli and Middle eastern talks, they wanted the responsability and as long as they arm Israel to the teeth, they may be there when it counts.

Storm San
09-25-2007, 01:10 PM
The President of Iran will be coming to the US, AND he'll be allowed to speak at an American university after just giving a speech saying death to America, death to Israel! How can our government allow this guy to set foot on our soil? Who will we allow to come visit next, Osama bin Laden?

I'm appaled at you.
North Americans, and you especially, look at you with the username "Big Brother".Says it all.
So you think you're great?
It's okay to invade a country because of oil but it's not okay to talk?
It's okay to divide other smaller countries and make them fight?

Your doom is nigh,North Americans.
The Russians are the new leaders now. So go and hide. In the end, you will eat your own flesh.
And I will be there watching it.

Fonzie
09-25-2007, 01:39 PM

I'm appaled at you.
North Americans, and you especially, look at you with the username "Big Brother".Says it all.

The Russians are the new leaders now. So go and hide. In the end, you will eat your own flesh.

One stupid person doesn't represent all of us, bud. :|

Storm San
09-25-2007, 01:42 PM

I'm appaled at you.

I am aware of that, but still all I see is stupid people.

Big Brother
09-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm appaled at you.

Ooh, picking fights on the internet...guess that makes you a tough guy.

1. The username "Big Brother" has no deep meaning to it like you seem to think. It just means I'm a fan of classic literature.

2. Do I think I'm great? No. We all have different perception of what constitutes greatness. A person who is great is someone who had a major impact on human society, be it positive or negative. I'm just an average everyday guy.

3. We didn't invade Iraq because of oil, otherwise the prices won't be so high. Bush invaded on bad information from the CIA. We don't have and never did have any reason to go into Iraq. As for your other question, if things can be solved by negotiations and diplomacy then I'd prefer that over bloodshed.

4. We don't "Divide smaller countries" or "make them fight". We do however have a problem of playing mediator in world conflicts and that in turn leads us to policing the nations in question.

5. My doom is nigh: If it is my fate, then so be it!

6. Russians are the new leaders: FYI, they're not. If any country will be the "new leaders" it'll be the People's Republic of China. Everyone depends on China for trade amongst other things.

7. Watch away. America welcomes you with open arms.

Rengori
09-25-2007, 03:21 PM

I am aware of that, but still all I see is stupid people.

Again, one person doesn't represent us all, bud.

Heath
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM

I don't see anything wrong with this visit. From the clips I've seen he got a relatively negative appraisal by the university anyway. Surely for a nation that supposedly supports free speech, it would be perfectly reasonable for someone who holds a different political viewpoint to put forward their views and to take part in a debate. That the president would even travel to the US is a diplomatic development; just a pity that neither the Iranian nor American president would actually meet each other. And to be fair, Israel have gotten away with a lot thanks to US support.

Also agreed with what Jimsour said.

Big Brother
09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
I admit, after seeing that speech, I was being unreasonable by being angry about this.

Paul
09-25-2007, 05:07 PM
the return of the soviets. that's a good one. i can't be arsed with that, fucking communism has done enough damage don't you think?

lol we're discussing international politics at a message board which censors swearing. does anyone else feel embarassed?